• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiritfox

XrGbdUn.jpg

We Tron now.

Ploppee

What's the verdict on playing this on laptops? Specifically Macs?

Loving everything i've seen on this game so far but don't want to risk buying it for it to run like dogdoo.

Specifically I have -

2.2 GHz i7 Processor
8GB DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB

Please please please let it run well!

Dimentios

Smartest way to connect a six-lane main road (both ways) to two two-lane roads (one way)?

-----------------------
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -< - - - - - - - - - -
-----------------------
- - - - - - - - - > - -
-----------------------

and

-----------------------
- - - - - - - - - -> - -
----------------------

-----------------------
- -<- - - - - - - - - -
-----------------------

Crispy75

Smartest way to connect a six-lane main road (both ways) to two two-lane roads (one way)?

-----------------------
- -< - - - - - - - - - -
-----------------------
- - - - - - - - - > - -
-----------------------

and

-----------------------
- - - - - - - - - -> - -
----------------------

-----------------------
- -<- - - - - - - - - -
-----------------------

Make a framework from dirt roads to make sure things are symmetrical first, then make a Y shape. Unfortunately there's no way of forbidding the U-turn around the inside of the Y.

Megasoum

Banned
God fucking dammit... Cloud saves stopped working again at work so I can't play Cities today.... Arghhhh

I think this happens when my Steam client versions get out of sync between home and work.

I should just get out of the beta on both sides.

Loving everything i've seen on this game so far but don't want to risk buying it for it to run like dogdoo.

Specifically I have -

2.2 GHz i7 Processor
8GB DDR3

I'm running it on almost the same specs (except I have an i5). It runs very smooth! Playing it on medium and no real slow downs (current city is 30.000) I'm not sure how it will run with large cities you will have to download a savegame for that.

I noticed this game is more CPU then GPU, so your good on that part. Also don't forget to set the game to high performance in the AMD catalyst app, or else you will be playing it with the integrated chip which sucks.

Edit: I see you mentioned MAC, i'm playing it on PC.

Oh guys, I'm in love with the terraforming mod. And is expensive too, so is well integrated in the gameplay and work like a charm: is possible to change the ground without damaging the surrounding buildings!

Amzin

My hunch is that a hearse is assigned to a job. If a hearse is stuck in traffic, another hearse isn't going to go and take it's place, so the dead person waits for the assigned hearse to arrive, even if fresher bodies are being picked up by other hearses on later calls. This kinda makes sense in that hearses generally don't do garbage runs - crematoriums get jobs and they do it in order they receive them.

There are plenty of dead bodies all the time and on the occasion of a death wave, plenty of ripe bodies. It's when your traffic is bad that you start to get the flashing red bodies.

I'm fairly sure this is correct. Once there's a body, a particular hearse is assigned to pick it up (usually the cemetery or crematorium that has the closest >route< will assign it), so building new cemeteries to try and catch up won't really help the way one expects. Clearing out traffic and upgrading roads will help more in the immediate sense :p

I'm pretty sure people are misunderstanding that comment about workers teleporting too, they teleport *home* which means they never make it to work. If it functions the same as cargo and customers, that means they aren't actually working at their job and the industry is going to start complaining about not having enough workers?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Probably someone has already done this, but I decided to check how exactly budget affects buildings. I started with education and it was pretty straightforward:

DMuMWjf.jpg

Basically, everything works optimally at 100% budget: Going under or over will cost more per student (but lowering the budget would make sense if you can still educate everyone).

Ah, very nice. Here's another graph with the same data, just showing the full range:
iFBJMZ3.png

It's surprising to see how nonlinear it is, but it makes sense. Budget cuts hit hard - 25% capacity at 50% funding, ouch.

100% is still best, but 100-110% is very efficient. At 110%, for only 10% more money you are getting 9% more students. Shortly after that raising budget is pretty much just throwing away money: From 120% to 130% you are increasing your spending an 8% for only 4% more students.

Yeah, it's hard to imagine a situation where you'd want to go from 140% to 150% for that last 1%.

Ploppee

I'm running it on almost the same specs (except I have an i5). It runs very smooth! Playing it on medium and no real slow downs (current city is 30.000) I'm not sure how it will run with large cities you will have to download a savegame for that.

I noticed this game is more CPU then GPU, so your good on that part. Also don't forget to set the game to high performance in the AMD catalyst app, or else you will be playing it with the integrated chip which sucks.

Edit: I see you mentioned MAC, i'm playing it on PC.

Ok this seems promising. Thanks for the feedback!
I think for £22 it's worth dropping the money on for the slight risk.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm pretty sure people are misunderstanding that comment about workers teleporting too, they teleport *home* which means they never make it to work. If it functions the same as cargo and customers, that means they aren't actually working at their job and the industry is going to start complaining about not having enough workers?

Industry won't complain about that. There are no negative consequences at all if a worker can't get to work and teleports home. That's why you can build residential neighborhoods with no road access to work, and they'll still be fine.

Jimrpg

Specifically I have -

2.2 GHz i7 Processor
8GB DDR3

I have a similar MacBook system except I have an nvidia 1gb 650m

I'm six hours in about 7.5k population and it runs really well at 1440x900p. I'd like to at least reach 100k before slow down... Fingers crossed. For $20 I'd get it and play it for a bit now, while waiting on a new system.

Grief.exe

I have a similar MacBook system except I have an nvidia 1gb 650m

I'm six hours in about 7.5k population and it runs really well at 1440x900p. I'd like to at least reach 100k before slow down... Fingers crossed. For $20 I'd get it and play it for a bit now, while waiting on a new system.

The performance picture I posted just above was from a 650m on Linux.

The problem you run into will be your CPU, GPU side should be fine.

Gandie

So my 2500k runs into some slowdown nearing 150k Cims, is it easy to overclock it? I'm still running it on stock speed. I'm on a Coolermaster Hyper 212 cooling unit.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So my 2500k runs into some slowdown nearing 150k Cims, is it easy to overclock it? I'm still running it on stock speed. I'm on a Coolermaster Hyper 212 cooling unit.

A 10 year old can overclock any CPU with the "k" identifier. Its meant for that. Read a bit about it and go ahead. I have a 3770k at 4.2 with the same cooler, no problems whatsoever at all. Even with population at 130K I see no real struggle.

Grief.exe

You shouldn't own a 2500k and not overclock it. Not only is it simple to accomplish, but the performance gains are quite significant.
Mine is running at 4.5

An i7 would actually be huge for this game due to the hyper threading.

Gandie

You shouldn't own a 2500k and not overclock it. Not only is it simple to accomplish, but the performance gains are quite significant.
Mine is running at 4.5

Only played Fifa and older stuff like Skyrim until now. Running a stress test on normal clock speed now. Thinking about trying 4,0 first.

tauke

I have a i7 4770K OC to 4.2 GHz and 100k Cims is still heavy for the game to simulate at fast speed. At 3x sim speed, the game uses around 70-80% CPU.

So to verify if less Cims do simulate faster, I proceed to tax really high and destroy my town to unlock some of the unique buildings and I think less than 20k Cims, the game sim speed became faster but not much with even lesser population. From here, the game uses up around 20% CPU.

Gandie

If you have a similar BIOS, sure. If not just play around with the multiplier aka the CPU clock ratio. Then reboot and do a stress test for an hour.

If it is stable, you're good to go. Just kmock down the multiplier if you start to crash frequently.

I put the Multiplier on 37 from 33 and Windows didn't even start. I'm gonna follow the guide 1:1 and see what happens.

tauke

I put the Multiplier on 37 from 33 and Windows didn't even start. I'm gonna follow the guide 1:1 and see what happens.

If it still doesn't boot, high chances that your mobo is not suitable for overclocking. Many possibilities from RAM to PSU that can affect the stability of OC.

Usually if it just failed to boot into any OS, I chalk it down to the mobo.

Do you need to simulate faster with over 150k population? Just wondering as normal speed plays fine for me and 100k is pretty big city.

I see everyone here naming their districts "sterling heights" and "green hills" and fancy mustache names like that.

Here I am with West-Side Ghetto, Redneck County, and Tourista Clusterfuck.

Redneck County is a traffic nightmare so far.

I can post pictures tonight if you guys want, though I'm only at around 7k pop.

So if I want 95%+ happiness for 5 years, do all four types need to be 95%+ happy?
Even if I have literally no industry and it thusly stands at 0%?
So do I have to have industry in my town?
Any other tips to get there? My commercial zone is dragging everyone down they are in the mid 70s while everyone else is in the high 90s.

Gandie

If it still doesn't boot, high chances that your mobo is not suitable for overclocking. Many possibilities from RAM to PSU that can affect the stability of OC.

Usually if it just failed to boot into any OS, I chalk it down to the mobo.

Do you need to simulate faster with over 150k population? Just wondering as normal speed plays fine for me and 100k is pretty big city.

Yeah it didn't boot at all. My PSU is probably the issue here. Oh well. Thinking about upgrading soon anyway :D

Morpork

Some amazing looking cities in here. I'm very jealous! I love this game, but I've no creative talent so all my cities are ugly grid infested messes. There needs to be a cities-by-number mod. ;)

Kevyt

Does anyone have a tip for bringing up happiness levels? I'm at 60k population but its decreasing because my people are not happy. I have on average -100 on the happiness icon. I built many services like schools, hospitals and such. Leisure areas too and I still don't know what gives. I:

Should I also build leisure places in the indiatry areas? Which are far away from my residents area.

Bryko

Anyone playing this on a Mac? I have a late 2013 retina MBP and I'm not sure if it can handle it. Does it run well on medium-low settings?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Playing too much Cities Skylines:

Oh look, a new Batman trailer - https://youtu.be/FpfytI2K7-I

Man, Batman is so awesome and th....oh shit look at that roundabout!

No kidding. Elite Dangerous patched up to improve things and even added new ships and I just can't be bothered to even log in because Cities Skylines has me completely enthralled with it. I've not played Hearthstone in over a week, I have daily quests just sitting there, but I started a second city instead. I want to play some Minecraft but building roundabouts instead of stone temples is just more fun to me right now. I'd like to mess around with the update to Starbound but I'm fixing traffic problems instead.

Cities Skylines is grade A Civilization style one-more-turn addiction, no two ways about it.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

So, I made a new district based on this road configuration as main street (the right one):
F8eKjp5.jpg

... it works ridiculously well, I have zero traffic jam in the district.

Hmm, I feel like there's a way to combine these two concepts. I'm getting ideas for weird templates where all the direction changes are micromanaged using ramps and there are no traditional intersections.

---

The "infinite oil and ore" mod improves the gameplay quite a bit. I'd say it's one case where sacrificing realism is worth it.

Anyone playing this on a Mac? I have a late 2013 retina MBP and I'm not sure if it can handle it. Does it run well on medium-low settings?

13 or 15 inch?

Using the older version of The Dynamic Resolution mod (so lovingly put together by GuyKazama, my 13 inch can do 30, so you should be alright. Heres the older mod:

tauke

Does anyone have a tip for bringing up happiness levels? I'm at 60k population but its decreasing because my people are not happy. I have on average -100 on the happiness icon. I built many services like schools, hospitals and such. Leisure areas too and I still don't know what gives. I:

Should I also build leisure places in the indiatry areas? Which are far away from my residents area.

Deploy more bus stop, metro and train station. Also noise pollution is another factor though not as much as public transport.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Mine is running at 4.5

An i7 would actually be huge for this game due to the hyper threading.

What's the easiest way to do this?

Grief.exe

I'm dreaming of a super high thorough put 4- way stacked interchange with dual roundabouts.

Each roundabout has 2 inputs and 4 outputs to limit the traffic into each roundabout.

What's the easiest way to do this?

Google.

The terms and methodology vary between mobo manufacturers.

Gr8one

Hmm, I feel like there's a way to combine these two concepts. I'm getting ideas for weird templates where all the direction changes are micromanaged using ramps and there are no traditional intersections.

By the way, the "infinite oil and ore" mod improves the gameplay quite a bit. I'd say it's one case where sacrificing realism is worth it.

I'm going to have to check this mod out. I'm planning for my next city doing a region similar to Alberta, Canada (think Canadian Texas) with a the high density commerce and manufacturing center with small towns scatter outside of it focusing on specialized industry with lots of dirt roads. I just wish I could mod in some pickup trucks and gun racks, yeeeehaw.

Pinktaco

I don't get it... I'm currently playing on hard mode with other modes on.
My city have a population of 2700, everybody is happy, all RCI have a high accessiblty to leisure, bus routes have been installed, a good level of education (was down to 6% uneducated) and have all 3 education building.

All service buildings have been build.

My industry is still level 1?!?!?!? Full of educated workers, but nope not upgrading. Residence at lvl 3, won't go further and commerce at lvl 2.

I'm earning 1000C/week with a couple of policies on so everything is going smooth.

I wanted to have a fully leveled up city before expanding, but I have no idea what to do... lower taxes?

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I'm dreaming of a super high thorough put 4- way stacked interchange with dual roundabouts.

Each roundabout has 2 inputs and 4 outputs to limit the traffic into each roundabout.

Google.

The terms and methodology vary between mobo manufacturers.

Alright, was hoping there was some easy universal setting or something. But I will google. (I am pretty sure I have already overclocked but my memory is very bad these days and I don't remember)

Gr8one

I don't get it... I'm currently playing on hard mode with other modes on.
My city have a population of 2700, everybody is happy, all RCI have a high accessiblty to leisure, bus routes have been installed, a good level of education (was down to 6% uneducated) and have all 3 education building.

All service buildings have been build.

My industry is still level 1?!?!?!? Full of educated workers, but nope not upgrading. Residence at lvl 3, won't go further and commerce at lvl 2.

I'm earning 1000C/week with a couple of policies on so everything is going smooth.

I wanted to have a fully leveled up city before expanding, but I have no idea what to do... lower taxes?

Check out the wiki on building levels.

http://www.skylineswiki.com/Zoning#Building_level

For Industrial primary items for leveling up buildings is average education levels of citizens and service coverage score with cargo transport, fire coverage, and public transit being the big ones, but make sure healthcare and parks are in the area as well.

I don't think you have a university at 2,000 population so it might take a while to upgrade all your RCI to max level.

Pinktaco

Check out the wiki on building levels.

http://www.skylineswiki.com/Zoning#Building_level

For Industrial primary items for leveling up buildings is average education levels of citizens and service coverage score with cargo transport, fire coverage, and public transit being the big ones, but make sure healthcare and parks are in the area as well.

Thanks. I had to relocate my fire station nearer to my industry though and then I plopped down a new one in my residential area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom