• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr8one

I spent 40k to made my pipes efficient, the water billing thing still costs too much

I agree, water is expensive and inefficient, while electricity is too efficient and cheap atm. I think the cost per MW needs a boost, I never really break the bank with my advanced wind turbines, and once I get nuclear it gets even cheaper.

Grief.exe

I agree, water is expensive and inefficient, while electricity is too efficient and cheap atm. I think the cost per MW needs a boost, I never really break the bank with my advanced wind turbines, and once I get nuclear it gets even cheaper.

Political statement about alternative energy solutions that have been aggressively lobbied against by oil and gas.

Gr8one

whats the best way to clean up polluted areas? Accidentally built a trash thing too close to residentials.

Just empty the garbage dump asap and then move it once it's empty. It doesn't take very long for ground pollution to go away. You might have some complaining citizens in the meantime, so keep an eye on them and if you must add a clinic if they get sick.

Is the game broken for anyone else? I'm loading my city and all I'm getting is a black screen with a spinning icon and a progress bar that doesn't move.

Gr8one

We were debating earlier today about how cims travel to their jobs, and someone on reddit did some experiments on just that, and looked into public transport as well. Really interesting stuff.

http://imgur.com/a/aKjgx#0

You don't need to connect industrial or commercial with each other or an outside connection, they work fine being isolated, but he found that residential should be in close proximity, so it appears distance is a factor in cims taking jobs. He then connected cargo stations between the industrial and commercial areas and banned heavy traffic outside of them, and it looks like a good trick to ease congestion on your main highways.

Is the game broken for anyone else? I'm loading my city and all I'm getting is a black screen with a spinning icon and a progress bar that doesn't move.

Do you have any mod's or assets loaded? I ran into loading problems when I had broken assets and a faulty mod that was doing what you are experiencing and causing my game to freeze or crash.

Fox318

I wish there was a way to plan for road expansion in the early game. My industrial district is bogged down with traffic no matter what I do.

Do you have any mod's or assets loaded? I ran into loading problems when I had broken assets and a faulty mod that was doing that and causing my game to freeze or crash.

I do but none that I've installed recently, it was working fine yesterday.

I wish there was a way to plan for road expansion in the early game. My industrial district is bogged down with traffic no matter what I do.

Same here, I end up starting again until that city screws up.

Gr8one

I do but none that I've installed recently, it was working fine yesterday.

A lot of them now automatically update. My game was crashing from a mod I didn't even run in my game, I just unsubscribed from everything and my game loaded. I then just resubscribed to my mods one at a time until I found the problem. It was a real pita.

Maybe check the mods you have subscribed in the workshop and see if there's any were updated recently and have comments about them breaking their games.

Amzin

Fantastic, guess I'll uninstall them one by one.

This should only apply to actual mods (I don't think assets can break your game), and you can probably check the page for a mod first and see if other people are having a problem. Usually it'll have feedback right away :p

Gr8one

This should only apply to actual mods (I don't think assets can break your game), and you can probably check the page for a mod first and see if other people are having a problem. Usually it'll have feedback right away :p

Assets don't break the game but in my experience they can the game hang when loading. I do have a lot of assets subscribed and running so that might be my problem.I have a asset addiction, I love checking out people's creations :/

This is happening to me too. It worked fine yesterday and now I can't play at all. It won't load old games and won't start new ones. I only have 3 or 4 mods (25-tiles, transit line colours, auto-demolish, and maybe 3 or 4 interchange assets).

EDIT - It's the auto-bulldoze mod. It can't load as of today for a lot of people, so it's making the game hang.

I'm sure this has been asked dozens of times, but how is this game for a total city-building noob? I really only have managing experience from Civilization, and I tried Cities in Motion for a while but it seemed a little overwhelming. Does the game have good tutorials?

Such a fantastic game and so much fun once you figured out how to balance all your city's needs.

Some impressions:
tAtzwT5.jpg

eWQilbP.jpg

R0Tb1UD.jpg

Tiktaalik

I was trying to reconfigure my small town (~3000k) to better move traffic on and off the entrance highway last night but ran into some issues. It seemed like it would be a good approach to have the two roads that connect to the highway be one way roads until they are able to connect to the major 4 lane road road I have next to industry, but the game wasn't hooking up the one way streets in the right direction. Any thing I might be doing wrong? It didn't seem like there was a way to toggle which way the one way streets are going.

I was trying to reconfigure my small town (~3000k) to better move traffic on and off the entrance highway last night but ran into some issues. It seemed like it would be a good approach to have the two roads that connect to the highway be one way roads until they are able to connect to the major 4 lane road road I have next to industry, but the game wasn't hooking up the one way streets in the right direction. Any thing I might be doing wrong? It didn't seem like there was a way to toggle which way the one way streets are going.

The one way streets are in the direction you build them. So if you connect two pieces by going against the grain it will be messed up.

Tiktaalik

The one way streets are in the direction you build them. So if you connect two pieces by going against the grain it will be messed up.

I figured it was something like that, and I was screwing with deleting many roads and adding them back while paused but couldn't get the effect I wanted. I'll try again I guess.

Gr8one

Such a fantastic game and so much fun once you figured out how to balance all your city's needs.

Some impressions:
tAtzwT5.jpg

eWQilbP.jpg

R0Tb1UD.jpg

Nice looking city. I love watching the cims scurry out of the metro stations like ants.I like how you zoned in the middle of your roundabout, I've been contemplating doing it but I don't want to cause any traffic congestion.

Grief.exe

I figured it was something like that, and I was screwing with deleting many roads and adding them back while paused but couldn't get the effect I wanted. I'll try again I guess.

You can also select a one way road, hit the upgrade tool, and right click your roads to reverse direction.

Amzin

If you have the latest patch, you can use the upgrade option to flip-flop oneway roads too at no cost. So if you placed a 2-lane, 1-way road the wrong way, select that as your road tile, select upgrade, and right-click to flip the section you want to flip. You do have to do this for every section though :p

Edit: Grief indeed

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
damn, getting rid of garbage dumps is hard

I'm emptying them but next time I check they've already filled up

ARGH

wish there was a way to stop them from accumulating garbage anew so I an actually get rid of them -.-

Grief.exe

damn, getting rid of garbage dumps is hard

I'm emptying them but next time I check they've already filled up

ARGH

wish there was a way to stop them from accumulating garbage anew so I an actually get rid of them -.-

If you select empty, then they will lower to zero percent and you can move or delete them.

The only way they will intake again is if you select the option or have some weird mod interaction.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
If you select empty, then they will lower to zero percent and you can move or delete them.

The only way they will intake again is if you select the option or have some weird mod interaction.

for real? mhmm I have the auto-empty mod, it probably also automatically re-opens it in that case. I'll just turn off the mod for the time being until I've deleted them all lol. Thanks!

Shepard

Whats the easiest way to fill in uneducated industry slots? I build a whole area without a single school, but the (relatively tiny) industry still needs them :( Are those little fuckers driving to the schools on the other side of the map?

Ziek

Things I wish were in the game:

Waterfront property
Public & private beaches
Golf Courses
Baseball Stadiums
More government buildings: incl. Space programs (launch pads, etc.)

Gandie

What a great feeling to have a public transit system working perfectly, with Cims using the different types of vehicles and changing between them. I could watch trains emptying for hours and hours.

Firebrand

Trying to buy this off Nuuvem using Hola (set to Brazil), but I just get a 404 when trying to log in. If log in before I activate the VPN, it drops my login.

Any suggestions?

edit: nvm, I fixed it... somehow. Spent 10 minutes clicking "Fix it" in the plugin and eventually it got through.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Placeholder roads would be nice.

Checkout New Game +.

Lets you unlock all roads at the start, while still keeping progression. Also lets you change the starting cash a bit to pay for some additional roads.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=411769510

One of the better implemented mods too.

Grief.exe

Should I just remove all police stations and leave the simulation going overnight to try to get the crime rate achievement?

My city has over 100k people.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Should I just remove all police stations and leave the simulation going overnight to try to get the crime rate achievement?

Naw, I would start a new city leave them uneducated and unemployed. Basically, implement the Republican proposed budget. Also leave abandoned buildings.

Putosaure

Well started doing stupid decisions, population stuck at 2K souls.

Will try again, I don't know what I'm doing. Stupid fucks don't want to be educated.

Corgi

Banned
Complete forgot about elementary schools and high schools. Only had one of each and am at 50k population. Didn't seem to matter much. Uneducated people are still a minority. Guess educated people move in. Weird that building a bunch of schools seem to increase city death rates lol.

Any tips on meeting city demands without mods? Running out of land to build more zones. Wanna hit 75k for airport.

vpance

Playing slow. Just got to 9k pop and unlocked Small Biz Enthusiast. Hello 50% boost in income, damn.

The Power Usage policy however seems to suck badly though. It always increased expenses by a ton and was never worth using IME so far.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

you have to turn off the police, and make your citizens unhappy. However, if you have a lot of level 3+ buildings, they will go abandoned because they're more sensitive to unhappiness.

If that's the case, the easier way is to start a new city till you unlock police, then not build any police, but jack the tax rate high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom