• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization: Beyond Earth |OT| - The Future of Mankind

Bregor

They talked about Civ BE on the most recent Idle Thumbs podcast. It's interesting that the things they noticed were not at all the things Civ veterans do. They complained about the UI (especially as one of them is a UI designer) and how the sci-fi setting didn't seem as compelling as the historical one to them. They said practically nothing about game balance or difficulty. Interesting to hear things from a different point of view.

kafiend

Still can't play because the resolution problems. Playing in a window is unacceptable for a full price game.

Poor show :( and even poorer show by the devs for failing to communicate a time-frame for fixing it.

Jesus christ cities are defensively OP. Like 3-4 units of artillery and I just can't get a shot at the city because there's some tiny sight-blocker. They nuke one unit every turn and regenerate a billion HP. I try to go for another angle of attack and then aliens spontaneously attack me even though I've been totally peaceful the whole game towards them. So now I have to go around a third way, which takes fucking 50 turns or something because there's 500 hills in the way even though it's a really short traversal. And I'm gaming in stupid windowed mode because they never tested on 144hz monitors.

It's bad enough when the city has mediocre defensive terrain, but when there's a good choke point they're practically unkillable. I'm going to have to research doom satellites or some shit to take these out, but then the city will probably have 1 trillion orbital attack as well.

Jesus christ cities are defensively OP. Like 3-4 units of artillery and I just can't get a shot at the city because there's some tiny sight-blocker. They nuke one unit every turn and regenerate a billion HP. I try to go for another angle of attack and then aliens spontaneously attack me even though I've been totally peaceful the whole game towards them. So now I have to go around a third way, which takes fucking 50 turns or something because there's 500 hills in the way even though it's a really short traversal. And I'm gaming in stupid windowed mode because they never tested on 144hz monitors.

It's bad enough when the city has mediocre defensive terrain, but when there's a good choke point they're practically unkillable. I'm going to have to research doom satellites or some shit to take these out, but then the city will probably have 1 trillion orbital attack as well.

air support is useless as hell which i don't really like either. sea to city attacking works well until you realize the city can basically one shot the unit

air support is useless as hell which i don't really like either. sea to city attacking works well until you realize the city can basically one shot the unit

I eventually just had to keep teching up. It's sort of bearable once you get attack-over-obstacle units and your sea units upgrade to get 3 range (for coastal cities).

Orbital warfare is clumsy as heck - if you can get a laser satellite (3 range) near the target city, you're in for an easy siege. If they have their own sat covering the city tile, orbital units are useless. Not even military sats either, like a Miasma repulsor or Solar collector will prevent you from sticking a laser sat within 300 miles. No space units, and orbital units can't hit other orbital units, so you have to get missile rover / later upgrades to get within 1 tile of them and attack.

The air layer is uber simple as you say. They really need more than just one air unit that upgrades. It's like they've put fighters in, then forgot to put attack aircraft in.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
This game takes forever to load for me, from booting up the game to actually getting into a game is around 8 to 10 mins :/

Ogimachi

Usually when the enemy city can one shot a unit it means it's rather late in the game to start an invasion. Doesn't make it impossible, just more frustrating if you're going on foot.
By that point, you should have enough affinity that the ranger, boat and artillery can shoot from 3 tiles/over obstacles. If the enemy has coastal cities, take them first with the boat and a couple of hovering units then use their own magrails and territory to take the rest.

Maledict

I have to say, I'm playing on the difficult level one below max and find the exact opposite. City strength isn't scaling with unit strength at all - it's far easier to take cities than in Civ 5 for example. When your affinity melee units have strength 60+ and cities only have 25 defence it only takes a couple of attacks before it falls over. That would never work in civ 5.

Like others, I find CivBE to be rather content-thin. That said, it is good foundation for beyond, and it still has the "one more turn" magic.

Hopefully Firaxis will continue to refine and work on the game... it seems to be selling well enogh to warrant this. (Charting just below CALLADUTY NEXT on the Steam charts)

Will a person who have never played previous Civ games enjoy this one?

Good news: there's a demo!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This is weird, I'm allied with the aliens, but their nests on my territory are not counting as an improved source of xenomass. I thought it was supposed to? I have the tech to build xenomass wells.

jholmes

I've had largely the same experience, and then today I took a capital in a coup d'etat and it could not have been easier. I mean sure you have to wait around until their espionage gets pretty high, but it's a very passive way to knock a player right out of the game.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I was thinking that I'd like to sabotage another AI's health so that I can do covert missions more effectively, but I don't really see anything I can do to do that.

I loved how in Brave New World I could make my culture so badass that everyone else who was a different ideology go massive negative happiness.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Does anyone know which of the sponsors would have Egypt in it? Want to help my people off of this rock, but can't tell which sponsor to pick.

jholmes

Does anyone know which of the sponsors would have Egypt in it? Want to help my people off of this rock, but can't tell which sponsor to pick.

I was just thinking today Egypt would make a good DLC sponsor. African Union is the only one that makes any sense as is.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I was just thinking today Egypt would make a good DLC sponsor. African Union is the only one that makes any sense as is.

I read the description on them and it doesn't seem to include the countries of North Africa. Then I figured that the region could also be lumped in with whoever has the other Arab countries, but it doesn't seem like the Middle East is with anyone. Did the oil run out and our asses ignored? lol

jholmes

I read the description on them and it doesn't seem to include the countries of North Africa. Then I figured that the region could also be lumped in with whoever has the other Arab countries, but it doesn't seem like the Middle East is with anyone. Did the oil run out and our asses ignored? lol

It could be that the Middle East just seems too touchy for Firaxis -- I mean, you'd have to have someone winning the region, right? -- but I'd bet they're just waiting on DLC. I haven't dived into the descriptions of every sponsor but there are some big countries that at least on the surface don't seem to be represented -- the U.K., Germany, Japan. Gotta have something to sell after launch, right?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Judging by the lore of the game, I think the "Great Mistake" involved a big nuclear oopsie in the Middle East, among other things. That might be why.

Maledict

North Africa is included in Franco-Iberia apparently - although I'm guessing it doesn't extend as far as Egypt.

In terms of the great mistake, it's apparently further east than Than the middle-east, and involves a nuclear exchange between India, Pakistan and China.

(And yes, the odds are very high we'll see some sort of 'North Atlantic Alliance' nation as DLC which will be sea focused and comprise the UK, Germany and the Nordic States).

Falk

that puzzling face
Should probably just say I've joined a bunch of acquaintances pretty much putting BE on hold till at least a post-launch balance pass (seriously Trade Route Simulator is not really fun) and playing Endless Legend instead for now.

Although it's out of Early Access, the game subjectively broken, don't get me wrong, but it's the hilarious/interesting kind of broken rather than the monotonous kind.

Wookieomg

Got an issue I'm hoping someone here can help me with. Whenever I try to load my save, my game crashes to desktop instantly without an error message with the Steam launch window popping up again. Really fucking annoying. :/

Bregor

Has there even been a patch yet since official launch??

No. They've announced their plans:

(snip)

Here is a list of technical issues we are looking to address – (please know this list is not all inclusive and we will continue to track and research issues that are reported).

[ENGINE]
- Correcting screen resolution problems, particularly related to the 144hz refresh rate full-screen (or lack of full-screen) issue.
- Investigating a start-up problem where the game shuts down with an error immediately following the opening movie.
- Investigating crash issues submitted by users, and through Steam crash reporting.
- Adding an in-game option to disable depth of field effect for players that prefer the game without this.
[UI]
- Ongoing updates to in-game text, tool-tips, etc.
- Correcting an issue where actions could be missing from embarked workers (like repairing a pillaged water improvement)
- Adding "Completed" section to city production menu so players know what they just finished.
- Adding advanced touch controls, gesture support, pen support.
[ACHIEVEMENTS]
- Achievements not firing if Max Turns was set in previous games. Also investigating some other possible causes.
[MODDING]
- Fixing 2D leader fall-back image support for all graphics quality settings
[MULTIPLAYER]
- Investigating reports of potential multiplayer stability issues

(snip)

As you saw during the lead-up to launch, we continue to iterate on design through development (remember the station Adept Blue? It got nerfed a month before launch). As we have done in the past, we will continue to iterate and address issues after launch as well. Our players’ feedback on balance drives the design team’s goals for the game. We’ll have more information on the balance changes as the design team has a chance to evaluate and implement your feedback.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=537545

This fits the pattern they've followed before - a bug fix patch a couple of weeks after launch, and a balance patch several months later.

Quixzlizx

It could be that the Middle East just seems too touchy for Firaxis -- I mean, you'd have to have someone winning the region, right? -- but I'd bet they're just waiting on DLC. I haven't dived into the descriptions of every sponsor but there are some big countries that at least on the surface don't seem to be represented -- the U.K., Germany, Japan. Gotta have something to sell after launch, right?

Japan is part of the PAC.

Dylan

So it has been over a week since the launch of this game. And I must say, overall I'm very disappointed. I've been a Civ fan since the original Civilization, putting an embarrassingly huge amount of hours into the series, and this is the first entry I have no interest in replaying.

This game seems to be the product of two possible scenarios, neither which make Firaxis look good:

Possibility 1: Firaxis are holding content back for future expansions à la Civ V. I considered this strategy forgivable in Civ V because, even if the game lacked a certain complexity that was present in Civ IV, the new graphics engine as well as hexes/one unit per tile made the game seem fresh enough that it was still fun to play. Unfortunately with BE, we have the same engine but less to do. This is unacceptable in my eyes. Are we really supposed to believe that the "city state" stations are lifeless trade-route hubs because the designers thought this was an improvement? Doubtful. It's likely that stations will play a more important role in future expansions, but because we have already been exposed to the elaborate city-state system in Civ V, the lack of complexity in BE's stations makes it feel like we are playing a Beta.

Possibility 2: BE is simply a product of bad design decisions. While I'm still holding out hope that future expansions will improve the game, I can't shake the feeling that the base product here is so flawed that future additions/tweaks will not save it. So much of the strategy in BE is focused on exploiting whichever affinity you choose to maximize. Largely, I feel like my path is predetermined from turn 1. The "quests", in my opinion, were a huge mistake. Decision making in BE seems trivial compared to Civ V, where city states played a huge role, and every quest choice was bound to affect important relationships. BE encourages much less thought and creativity in strategy.

It really is too bad! I was so looking forward to this game being my go-to for this winter. For now, I will be going back to Civ V for my turn-based fix.

Bregor

So it has been over a week since the launch of this game. And I must say, overall I'm very disappointed. I've been a Civ fan since the original Civilization, putting an embarrassingly huge amount of hours into the series, and this is the first entry I have no interest in replaying.

This game seems to be the product of two possible scenarios, neither which make Firaxis look good:

Possibility 1: Firaxis are holding content back for future expansions à la Civ V. I considered this strategy forgivable in Civ V because, even if the game lacked a certain complexity that was present in Civ IV, the new graphics engine as well as hexes/one unit per tile made the game seem fresh enough that it was still fun to play. Unfortunately with BE, we have the same engine but less to do. This is unacceptable in my eyes. Are we really supposed to believe that the "city state" stations are lifeless trade-route hubs because the designers thought this was an improvement? Doubtful. It's likely that stations will play a more important role in future expansions, but because we have already been exposed to the elaborate city-state system in Civ V, the lack of complexity in BE's stations makes it feel like we are playing a Beta.

Possibility 2: BE is simply a product of bad design decisions. While I'm still holding out hope that future expansions will improve the game, I can't shake the feeling that the base product here is so flawed that future additions/tweaks will not save it. So much of the strategy in BE is focused on exploiting whichever affinity you choose to maximize. Largely, I feel like my path is predetermined from turn 1. The "quests", in my opinion, were a huge mistake. Decisions making in BE seems trivial compared to Civ V, where city states played a huge role, and every quest choice was bound to affect important relationships. BE encourages much less thought and creativity in strategy.

It really is too bad! I was so looking forward to this game being my go-to for this winter. For now, I will be going back to Civ V for my turn-based fix.

Conspiracy theories don't impress me. My opinion is that the balance problems in the game are due to pure design choices. But this doesn't imply that they aren't fixable, I don't see where you are getting that idea.

I've gone back to Civ V myself, but I still feel there is the basis for an interesting game underneath the UI and balance problems.

Maledict

Japan is part of the PAC.

Not according to the civilopedia. The PAC is mainland Asian countries only - China, Korea and Mongolia are explicitly listed but there's absolutely no mention of Japan in any shape or form. That can't be an oversight given it's importance and size in the region.

Not according to the civilopedia. The PAC is mainland Asian countries only - China, Korea and Mongolia are explicitly listed but there's absolutely no mention of Japan in any shape or form. That can't be an oversight given it's importance and size in the region.

Yeah in a panel, they said that Japan is separate. Probably DLC or expansion material.

Oh man, how cool would it be if they lifted some stuff from Red Alert 3 for Japan? XD

I've gone back to Civ V myself, but I still feel there is the basis for an interesting game underneath the UI and balance problems.

I've been playing XCOM: Long War for the last couple of weeks while I wait for the mod scene for BE to develop a little bit more.

There's nothing inherently flawed about the game, it just needs some balance tuning, a little bit more character, multiplayer fixes, and low hanging fruit UI improvements. The changes needed really aren't too significant.

Firaxis will expand on the game via substantial expansions, but there's no conspiracy behind that. Iterating on their existing designs is just the way they work.

Guesong

Man, I don't know who does the soundtrack for Firaxis games, but they are stellar.

Civilization 5's was amazing, but this one is equally mind-blowing. Way less tracks though :(

I'm still playing the game. I'm definitively hoping for some UI improvements soon, but I wanted Civ in Space for so long that my enthusiasm still hasn't settled down.

Dylan

Man, I don't know who does the soundtrack for Firaxis games, but they are stellar.

Civilization 5's was amazing, but this one is equally mind-blowing. Way less tracks though :(

I'm still playing the game. I'm definitively hoping for some UI improvements soon, but I wanted Civ in Space for so long that my enthusiasm still hasn't settled down.

Civ 5's soundtrack was mostly a compilation of famous classical music. Still fantastic though, I agree.

Quixzlizx

Yeah in a panel, they said that Japan is separate. Probably DLC or expansion material.

My bad. I was going off of this quote that was revealed months ago:

"Although badly affected by the Great Mistake and the upheaval that followed, the Pan-Asian Cooperative emerged as a strong, transnational entity. Centered around the old People's Republic of China, the Cooperative spans Asia from the Mongolian steppe to the megalopolis of Bangkok, with even former regional rivals South Korea and Japan laying aside their differences to work in the framework of the PAC. It is a powerhouse of industry, home to world-class R&D and high-tech corporations, and boasts a skilled population living in Earth's most populous cities. Although relatively new to spaceflight and space colonization, the PAC has quickly caught up to or passed the old Space Bloc as it embraces the Seeding."

Guesong

BE is attributed to Geoff Knorr, Griffin Cohen, Michael Curran, Grant Kirkhope

Everything Grant touches is pure gold.

edit: You can see who's on which track in detail here. Recorded in Prague.

edit2: Amazon listing with previews so that it's not just a bunch of names tied to a bunch of names

Oooh, thank you for that.

I hope they fix the soundtrack issue soon. I'm listening to the OST right now, but I sure would like to know actual track names instead of Lush_1 to 6, Fungal_1 to 6 and so forth.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I finally got around to downloading the OST. Very impressive. I love the epic, sci-fi, pioneering emotions it invokes. Especially when that intro video plays. Chills, man. I love that shit.

Top Bottom