• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V Brave New World |OT| More than Content Tourism

xenist

The barbarians are fucking relentless in higher difficulties. They get beaten easily but the fuckers are always buzzing around breaking my balls. It's barely 120 BC and I have destroyed more camps than I can remember. Ironically, I'm spending my ass off on my army and the loot from the camps is the only thing that keeps my economy going. And this was the game where I was supposed to not be a bloodthirsty monster for once and go for a diplomatic victory. Such is life.

Rad-

The barbarians are fucking relentless in higher difficulties. They get beaten easily but the fuckers are always buzzing around breaking my balls. It's barely 120 BC and I have destroyed more camps than I can remember. Ironically, I'm spending my ass off on my army and the loot from the camps is the only thing that keeps my economy going. And this was the game where I was supposed to not be a bloodthirsty monster for once and go for a diplomatic victory. Such is life.

Main reason why I like playing as Askia (UA is you get triple the money from barb camps).

Violet_0

Banned
which civ do you suggest for a tech rusher/wonder spammer? The Maya seem to be quite good for this, who else would work?

e: just upgraded to Gold Edition for Babylon, that should be interesting

Is there a better way to protect caravans and cargo ships than manually moving units around? Because my military units can't even keep up with them. I would have thought there was a follow button or something, but alas.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is there a better way to protect caravans and cargo ships than manually moving units around? Because my military units can't even keep up with them. I would have thought there was a follow button or something, but alas.

I will sometimes station a unit in the middle of their route if it's in the early game and barbarians are an actual thread.

Later on, once most of the territory is settle, I don'y really bother.

which civ do you suggest for a tech rusher/wonder spammer? The Maya seem to be quite good for this, who else would work?

e: just upgraded to Gold Edition for Babylon, that should be interesting

Definitely Babylon for the Great Library free tech/free great scientist. Use the scientist to improve a tile to an academy.

so is there a way to stall a diplomatic victory vote or will alexander win every time? kinda feel like it should need... something maybe that you can engineer a screwup

If you're on the freedom path, Treaty Organizations is a good way to turn city-states back from Alexander's influence. Just start sending all your trade units to city states and watch the free influence roll on in, and keep rotating amongst all of them until they flip to Ally. I just finished a game against Alexander, and most of his allied city-states were only being held onto by a small amount of influence.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Random question, since this is the active Civ thread nowadays - is it worth upgrading to the Gold edition for all that DLC? Specifically for the maps and scenarios.

SRG01

I've always found Pangea map types always have less barbs because of the civ crowding.

Oh, and I won my tourism game that I posted above earlier. :)

sixghost

Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times in this thread already, but is it recommended to have the Gods and Kings expansions in addition to Brave New World? I only have Vanilla Civ 5, but BNW sounds extremely interesting.

Sibylus

Banned
Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times in this thread already, but is it recommended to have the Gods and Kings expansions in addition to Brave New World? I only have Vanilla Civ 5, but BNW sounds extremely interesting.
I would recommend it, lots of great civs added in GaK (Carthage in particular is one of my favourites).

DSmalls84

I feel like it's impossible to win on Prince. I can never keep up with the other nations as far as score goes, and I was close to getting a diplomatic victory but I tied Brazil on the number of votes and they won. Any tips? I usually make about 3 cities and the last game I was France and focused on culture and science.

KePoW

Banned
I feel like it's impossible to win on Prince. I can never keep up with the other nations as far as score goes, and I was close to getting a diplomatic victory but I tied Brazil on the number of votes and they won. Any tips? I usually make about 3 cities and the last game I was France and focused on culture and science.

Yeah Prince is very hard for people new to Civ. I have a tough time with it, especially if you don't micromanage every single detail.

Vespene

Do not pay attention to the score. Early on it's distorted by the AI's expansionism, which can only be countered with ancient and classical era warfare. Catapults are your friend.

suaveric

Anyone had weird game freezes in the last few days? I've been playing a ton since the expansion came out and had no trouble. But then in the last two days I've had the game freeze up in two completely different games. Going back to an earlier save didn't seem to help, it would freeze again on the same year (different years for each game though). It sucks to have to start over from the beginning.

Esch

Banned
Pick a victory type and plan it out. Keep an eye on the tech tree and learn it so you can rush the techs, wonders, buildings, and units you might need.

DSmalls84

Yeah I play on quick turns and standard size maps and have played 3-4 matches this week. Definitely a learning curve. I think I prefer cultural/scientific strategies though. I tried germany and was able to take some cities but got stalled defending against zulu impis for about 100 years. At least I understand the mechanics better now. Are there any techs/wonders you should prioritize?

xenist

Finally, the barbarians gave me some time to breathe. I got my shit together quickly. Now gold is coming out of my ass. I'm generating culture like crazy. Tourism picked up too. Everyone but Alexander is begging to be my friend. Begging for gold and luxury goods too. And I happily oblige. If Greece doesn't pull some shit by the time World Congress is up I'll have some good headway for a diplomatic victory. Maybe I should be proactive and have my new friends take Greece out. We'll see.

Yeah I play on quick turns and standard size maps and have played 3-4 matches this week. Definitely a learning curve. I think I prefer cultural/scientific strategies though. I tried germany and was able to take some cities but got stalled defending against zulu impis for about 100 years. At least I understand the mechanics better now. Are there any techs/wonders you should prioritize?

You should prioritize philosophy for the National College and Education for Research Agreements. And I think on Prince you should be able to get Great Library if you want to (but that prospect is increasingly unlikely on higher difficulties).

Sibylus

Banned
I need a mod that nerfs wonder production on AIs down to normal or something. I love building them, but AIs scooping all of them up really turns me off to harder difficulties.

I need a mod that nerfs wonder production on AIs down to normal or something. I love building them, but AIs scooping all of them up really turns me off to harder difficulties.

This is a good idea. It's one thing that they can build units or improvments 4 times as fast, but scooping up all the wonders way before you have a chance really messes up the game.

jman2050

I don't think the AI gets bonuses on wonder production. They get to the wonders first because they get to the techs first and improve their cities quicker.

Sibylus

Banned
Hmm, so I guess it's just a lot of small things that collectively make it happen (more production tiles worked sooner, bigger cities sooner, etc).

Alright, take that Napoleon you utter CUNT. What the hell is wrong with you, you goddamn idiot? I'm VENICE you moron. You started this. I'm razing you to the ground.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Alright, take that Napoleon you utter CUNT. What the hell is wrong with you, you goddamn idiot? I'm VENICE you moron. You started this. I'm razing you to the ground.

Let your hate flow through you.

Esch

Banned
When you guys declare war or get declared on, do you fuck up all of the other person's shit?

Or just most of it
leo.png

Meier

WTF, games of Civ 5 take so god damn long and I finally just finished one with a Standard-sized map.. and I didn't get at least 3 of the achievements I should have received. What options do I have to make sure it registers my victory conditions?

I should have received at least 3 (won via Wu, won a Standard-sized map and won as Settler difficulty.

Herbert Moon

Neo Member
Just picked up BNW and G&K after not playing Civ V for over a year. Feels like I need to relearn a lot of mechanics, on top of trying to learn all the new stuff from the expansions.

One thing I'm never quite sure of is when to settle new cities, and how many total cities I should be controlling.
I guess it depends on what civ you are playing, and what victory conditions you are going after? Because as I understand it, each new city you settle causes the amount of culture you need for social policies to go up, correct?

Sblargh

Banned
Just picked up BNW and G&K after not playing Civ V for over a year. Feels like I need to relearn a lot of mechanics, on top of trying to learn all the new stuff from the expansions.

One thing I'm never quite sure of is when to settle new cities, and how many total cities I should be controlling.
I guess it depends on what civ you are playing, and what victory conditions you are going after? Because as I understand it, each new city you settle causes the amount of culture you need for social policies to go up, correct?

On a standard map, for culture victory, I stay at 2 cities. For all the others, I settle whenever I have the happyness for it until I reach the Industrial era. Then I stop settling.

And you are right about social policies.

So..any recommendations on what to do with achievements not registering? I rebooted but still no dice.

are you getting achievements from the base game? Their july patch caused all kinds of issues with them not popping up. Their working on something to amend that atm.

InertiaXr

On a standard map, for culture victory, I stay at 2 cities. For all the others, I settle whenever I have the happyness for it until I reach the Industrial era. Then I stop settling.

And you are right about social policies.

Wow seriously? 2 cities for the entire game? I've yet to try to win culturally but it sounds like most of the tourism stuff comes in very late game, what do you do for the 200 turns before that?

Meier

are you getting achievements from the base game? Their july patch caused all kinds of issues with them not popping up. Their working on something to amend that atm.

Yeah, these would have all been base achievements. China may have been G&K.. can't recall.

Sibylus

Banned
China was in the vanilla Civ V. Are you certain your game didn't end prematurely because of a time victory condition? Turn it off always!

Meier

China was in the vanilla Civ. Are you certain your game didn't end prematurely because of a time victory condition? Turn it off always!

Yeah, I went ahead and beat it again via Diplomatic which I'd never received previously. I guess I will wait til the patch to play again.

I don't think the AI gets bonuses on wonder production. They get to the wonders first because they get to the techs first and improve their cities quicker.

I understand that, but they need to nerf how quickly the AI can build wonders on higher difficulties without nerfing their other bonuses because never being able to build wonders yourself is a big problem.

Depends. The most important thing to consider is if you can overcome the unhappiness it will create, because if you can't it's usually not worth it. After that you have to decide if your first city has enough untapped resources that you don't want to split the worker force, if there are any strategic resources that you need to wait to pop so you can settle next to them (iron usually), if you need to block another civ from settling a spot, or if you can just capture a city instead.

For me personally 3 cities is usually my minimum for culture/diplomacy (I play on small maps). Any fewer and I don't feel like a production and resource acquisition is good enough. For war mongering you can go pretty big, you'll be fighting unhappiness a lot but usually the resources you get make up for it. I think I've gone as big as 8 or 9 on a small map. The game get very confusing at that point though, turns slow to a crawl. I like to stay around 5 for most games.

Sblargh

Banned
Wow seriously? 2 cities for the entire game? I've yet to try to win culturally but it sounds like most of the tourism stuff comes in very late game, what do you do for the 200 turns before that?

Wonders, including the cheap national ones, great people, trade routes and I accumulate city-states as allies over time (so that if a tourism race seems impossible, I can bribe my way to a congress win).

With trade routes, going few cities like is so much more viable, because everyone have the exact same 7-8 trade routes, but they have to pay a shitload of stuff on maintenance while you don't. My last game, I had 10k in gold before turn 400 when I won. If you do enough wonders, this means other civs aren't doing them and so your tourism won't have that much to overcome.

Top Bottom