• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V Brave New World |OT| More than Content Tourism

Esch

Banned
Does anyone feel like the AI overall just plays the opposite of you? Usually I turtle and count my blessings but im being aggressive and wiped out Babylon and everyone is kinda chilling and stacking great art.

Sblargh

Banned
Does anyone feel like the AI overall just plays the opposite of you? Usually I turtle and count my blessings but im being aggressive and wiped out Babylon and everyone is kinda chilling and stacking great art.

It used to be worse, the AI was made originally to be "another player", meaning that they would try to win the game at all costs and would never help you without that goal in mind.

It roleplays more now, but that's still the core of its behavior.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It's funny how I used to be a warmongering asshole.

Now, with BNW, I want to be a shining beacon of hope for the world, as they fall before my onslaught of tourism and culture.

It's funny how I used to be a warmongering asshole.

Now, with BNW, I want to be a shining beacon of hope for the world, as they fall before my onslaught of tourism and culture.

What I usually do is go for a peaceful victory but anytime someone crosses me or attacks me I wipe them out, no mercy. This tends to happen quite often since the AI almost inevitably betrays me in the early moments in the game.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
It used to be worse, the AI was made originally to be "another player", meaning that they would try to win the game at all costs and would never help you without that goal in mind.

It roleplays more now, but that's still the core of its behavior.

Still better than roleplaying only, tbh.

A switch would be nice, though.

kidko

I had the most peaceful game of Civ ever going until last night when I hit around 1940 AD and Germany randomly decides to attack one of my protected CSs. Next thing I know, Austria is calling me up to surprise attack Germany. I go for it and all the sudden Alexander, my oldest friend, denounces me and everyone in turn denounces him. It feels like a WWII was coded in to start at 1940 because my world politics used to be friendly for everyone except Egypt, and now it's mulitple wars and betrayal all over the place. Good thing I'm the only one with subs on this archipelago map ;)

Gregorn

I just played this game for 7 hours straight with my friends and didn't even make it to the Renaissance, should it actually take that long or are we all really bad.

KePoW

Banned
I had the most peaceful game of Civ ever going until last night when I hit around 1940 AD and Germany randomly decides to attack one of my protected CSs. Next thing I know, Austria is calling me up to surprise attack Germany. I go for it and all the sudden Alexander, my oldest friend, denounces me and everyone in turn denounces him. It feels like a WWII was coded in to start at 1940 because my world politics used to be friendly for everyone except Egypt, and now it's mulitple wars and betrayal all over the place. Good thing I'm the only one with subs on this archipelago map ;)

That actually sounds pretty cool !

Sblargh

Banned
Still better than roleplaying only, tbh.

A switch would be nice, though.

Well, I enjoy that I can get another civ to vote me for world congress, however expensive it is, so it's nice that the AI have room to say "all right, you have gold and resources up the ass, I'll give you the win"

Aureon

It'd be nice if the AI recognized it can't win, and threw it's force behind whoever has the best relations and has a shot at winning.

Alej

Banned
He woke up at 12 and had been playing for 6 hours straight without me lol

"I'm here Tetsuo, and i already created clones of me. We are taking down the internet, and then the world. I'm a part of the system now, come with me and join my force in the wires."

Holy shit, you created a monster.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
9328537067_e3758f723b_o.png

Tyte

Sblargh

Banned
Yo, play this game drinking vodka is great. You can feel your capabilities to make decision deterioriate on a turn by turn basis.

On the other hand, it is really putting to the test my flowcharts, because I'm going 100% by them right now.

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
Had a friend who was hating on Civ V. He tried to play it alone, said it was wack. I kinda chipped at him for a week or so and he admitted he just didn't know what he was doing. We just had a multiplayer sessions and now he wants to start over so he can make a better build order. He didn't want to stop playing, either. I HAVE DESTROYED ANOTHER LIFE!

What MP mode would you suggest for Civ V? When all my buds lived together, we played Civ 4 on hot seat mode, but now we are more spread out. I have 0 experience in the other modes btw.

It'd be nice if the AI recognized it can't win, and threw it's force behind whoever has the best relations and has a shot at winning.
This was one of the few good aspects of Civ Rev. As you approached victory, the whole world would declare war on you (on Deity anyway).

Picked this up today, I want to have a decently sized trading focused civ. would Portugal or Morocco be the better bet? Morocco's bonus seems better suited for multiplayer, or do AIs want to have more trade routes with you?

Morocco is better thematically at can have a lot of fun desert-oriented builds at Emperor and below. Portugal is a better all-around trading Civ.

Venice is just weird.

This Isabella game is just retarded. The AI is stuck in Modern era even past turn 300. They tech so much worse on continents vs. pangaea.

Yeah Morocco seems nice, my first city didn't have a single desert tile but where I'm planning to build my 2nd and 3rd cities, they both have desert tiles in abundance. I'm just hoping Sweden or the Netherlands don't take it over first.

I'll also echo everyone else and say I'm pretty taken aback by the amount of options in the early game. I have no idea what I'm doing, in a good way. Can someone please explain how Great Works well, work?

Been playing at Prince and King alot (Normal and Hard-Normal) and its not that bad.

I just hate games where the difficulty scales by letting the AI cheat, not through just smarter or more brutal AI. Obviously its difficult for them to make the game harder otherwise, but having AI that can outbuild you no matter what/etc infuriates me.

That said, are the harder difficulties super unfair feeling? Or is it actually pretty well done?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
In Civ V, AI difficulty is just a mix of resource bonuses and more aggression.

That said, are the harder difficulties super unfair feeling? Or is it actually pretty well done?

They are super unfair, especially at the top two difficulties. At the highest levels, your opponents literally will be working 15 tiles combined off two cities while you struggle to work five and produce your first settler in your capital.

However, they are pretty good at producing interesting games. That's really the measure of an AI in a game like Civ-do all of the unfair bonuses and free stuff they get make the game more interesting for experienced players? Answer is definitely yes.

First one in the game with a nuke, suddenly everyone is afraid and guarded with me.

That's a neat feature. It never happened to me before.

366 tourism per turn(?) with Carnival! for 15 turns with Brazil. Anyone who wasn't under my influence certainly will be soon.

Conor 419

Banned
Just finished my first ever game.

I enjoyed it on a superficial level, but looking back and considering the absolute lack of depth and challenge, I can't help but feel this game's actually pretty bad.

Are there difficulty levels in this game?

Haly

I enjoyed it on a superficial level, but looking back and considering the absolute lack of depth and challenge, I can't help but feel this game's actually pretty bad.

Lol.

Play the game on Emperor at least before you say this.

Alchemy

Just managed my first Cultural victory in BNW. 9 player map on Prince as Pedro (Brazil), took until 2050 AD. Seemed really inefficient, need to find a way to speed that up.

Esch

Banned
So if a trade route gets plundered are you just screwed? I also am still really shaky on Great Works and Tourism.
I mean you can build or buy another one. You still have the route you just no longer have the unit to complete it.

As for tourism and great works you gotta play around with both. Pick a civ ideal for it like France, Venice, or Brazil.

The lower difficulty levels are really more of a sandbox historical pseudo-simulator than a competitive game. Check out Prince if you are new to the series and looking for the game to start giving you some pushback.

Sibylus

Banned
Just managed my first Cultural victory in BNW. 9 player map on Prince as Pedro (Brazil), took until 2050 AD. Seemed really inefficient, need to find a way to speed that up.
Open as many borders as you can, get all your spies spreading propaganda as Diplomats, maximize your great work bonuses, and continue churning out Great Musicians you can concert bomb with.

Open as many borders as you can, get all your spies spreading propaganda as Diplomats, maximize your great work bonuses, and continue churning out Great Musicians you can concert bomb with.

And try to keep Carnival up, I managed to keep it up for the like last 100ish turns of the game lol

I was shitting out great people like it was going out of style

Was on King

Sibylus

Banned
Yes, and also handy to note is that if you're bringing in a lot of faith and have maxed out Aesthetics, you can purchase Great Musicians with faith (the cost ramps with each purchase, obviously). Concerts on demand.

abuC

I played this a while ago, and it just devolves into me declaring war on people and nuking all of my enemies and their allies. Needless to say I'd make a terrible head of state.

Newt

So got a question for you guys. Which Civ do you think is better for a military victory, Mongolia or Arabia? The Khan general is a great bonus, but so is double oil and $.

So got a question for you guys. Which Civ do you think is better for a military victory, Mongolia or Arabia? The Khan general is a great bonus, but so is double oil and $.
1000x Mongolia. Their unique unit is so overpowered that you can decimate your opponents and win the game before needing oil.

Haly

I usually wage war way before I get access to Oil. Usually between Classic and Medieval.

In Civ, the earlier you can start doing something, the more benefits you'll gain from it and there's few leaders that can dominate the mid-game like Genghis.

Mongolia, given how trade focused Arabia are I don't really consider them a wartime civ although both civs unique units are stupidly powerful. The Huns are also really worth considering, no one can obliterate cities quite like them although their strength is very early game focused so you need to strike fast with them.

Myomoto

Anybody else feel like the diplomatic victory is made available a little bit too early in the game? I'm currently finishing up my Manhattan Project, and nobody else have yet to pick an ideology, yet the diplomatic victory is available in a couple of turns...

Jintor

so is there a way to stall a diplomatic victory vote or will alexander win every time? kinda feel like it should need... something maybe that you can engineer a screwup

Sblargh

Banned
Anybody else feel like the diplomatic victory is made available a little bit too early in the game? I'm currently finishing up my Manhattan Project, and nobody else have yet to pick an ideology, yet the diplomatic victory is available in a couple of turns...

You are a difficulty below your awesome level.

xenist

I've fallen into the Civ hole and I cannot get out. Please guys, throw me a rope!

Two fucking nights in a row I sit down to play "for a bit" and end up getting to sleep past 04:00. I should have known better.

Aureon

so is there a way to stall a diplomatic victory vote or will alexander win every time? kinda feel like it should need... something maybe that you can engineer a screwup

Kill\Buy city states. Have everyone declare war on him, if he has Globalization.

I mean you can build or buy another one. You still have the route you just no longer have the unit to complete it.

As for tourism and great works you gotta play around with both. Pick a civ ideal for it like France, Venice, or Brazil.
Yeah I just meant short term screwed because of how long Caravans and Cargo Ships take to build. Oh well, I should have known better. It seems to me though that trade routes should be fairly low priority for the Ancient and early Classical era at least. The bonuses aren't good enough when you need to build your cities and army up.

Also, as for Tourism/Global Works I meant I'm still kind of confused by how they work, Great Works especially. I think I just need to play more.

While my game as Venice was fun
I lost...
, playing a game now as Shoshone is awesome too. Great Expanse feels like cheating.

Venice makes the diplomatic victory super easy. Just get in bed with all the city states through the merchants of venice, make sure to build the Forbidden City wonder (two delegates) and your golden on the world congress/united nations.

Myomoto

Venice makes the diplomatic victory super easy. Just get in bed with all the city states through the merchants of venice, make sure to build the Forbidden City wonder (two delegates) and your golden on the world congress/united nations.

I feel like a diplomatic victory is stupid easy playing as anybody. It just requires a lot of money...

Top Bottom