• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V Brave New World |OT| More than Content Tourism

I just dont feel like investing culture hammers or gold into religion. Takes too long to pay off unless youre playing as the right civ.

Yeah, early on my hope is just that I hit enough ruins to get me enough free faith to at least start a religion. I think its important to at least get one started so you can counter the spread of other religions.

Foregoing religion really isn't an option if you are planning on going wide, though. The per-city Pagodas/Mosques and Guruship (yes, Guruship) are extremely powerful in wide empires.

On higher difficutlies founding a religion and picking Tithe can yeild huge sums of gold due to the AI's innately strong city growth curve.

ShaneB

While my game as Venice was fun
I lost...
, playing a game now as Shoshone is awesome too. Great Expanse feels like cheating.

So I decided instead of sticking it through... I decided "Fuck it, I'm going to start a war with everyone, and go out in a blaze of glory".

After spending centuries defending against barbarians, India became what it was fighting against.

Got rid of all my non-military units and started going nuts. Invaded Spain and Indonesia and got decisively destroyed. Egypt then destroyed the rest of my ships. And hilariously enough, during the chaos, no civ took over any of my cities... and in the end, not only did all the big civs came up to me saying how this aggression is pointless, they all provided peace treaties and gave me resources, seemingly out of pity. I now have a lot more stuff to work with than before!

This game. This game.

Cromat

Winning easily at Emperor with Venice. Domination should be the quickest way to wrap things up.

I did make my own life harder when I attacked Theodora early on even though we had a Declaration of Friendship.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Tips for aspiring warmongers:

1) Range > melee, especially on the defensive. Spam those archers.
2) Spearmen > Swordsmen and Pikemen > Longswordsmen. The Iron requirement is balls. Numbers and accessibility is everything.
3) Always have at least 2 siege when taking a city unless your siege tech drastically outstrips the city's defense. Preferably 3.
4) Minimize the amount of time spent under the city's firing range. That is, you want either all of your siege to be within the city's range in one turn, or none of them.
5) Always keep at least one melee unit in the back and healthy so they can take cities after your siege does their work. Mounted units are the best for this.
6) Use each city you take as a staging ground to regroup and heal before moving onto the next. Once you reach their capital, you may want to start razing the furthest cities to prevent unhappiness from going out of control.

Esch

Banned
Here's a question: how often do you guys actually take in a whole city, like actually absorbing into your Civ instead of puppeting it. Do y'all just absorb capitals or none at all? The unhappiness and culture penalties are a bitch.

Sibylus

Banned
Often, if it's sitting on something valuable, a nearby city isn't likely to snatch those tiles up, and I have the happiness buffer to eat it.

Trigger

Here's a question: how often do you guys actually take in a whole city, like actually absorbing into your Civ instead of puppeting it. Do y'all just absorb capitals or none at all? The unhappiness and culture penalties are a bitch.

I only absorb cities with a strategic military value. I don't like micromanaging too many cities and the AI is awful at growth planning. Most often I just raze cities and restructure their set ups completely.

I annex cities with potential-lots of food and hammers. I puppet cities without those things, and then choke their growth with trading posts.

Sometimes you puppet a shit town for military reasons. That's OK too.

Haly

If the city is good for production I'll bother to annex it. Otherwise I'll puppet it until I don't need it anymore.

Haly

Yes. Mongolia is the king of medieval large scale warfare.

DSmalls84

Can anyone point me to a good beginners guide. I have tried 3 or 4 different Civs on Prince and always seem to be out-teched and out-gunned by the middle of the game. Usually way behind on points too but I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong.

Maledict

It's not really a horse dude. It's an archer than can move and fire. You will be able to take entire civilisations out without any of your Keshiks taking damage.

Along with the English Longbowmen and the Chinese Cho-Ko-Nu (and to a lesser extent Arabia's camel archers) the Keshik is one of the defining military units in the game. Those three units change how warfare works for you, and can be abused to completely and utterly dominate an opponent unless they are incredibly far ahead of you in tech.

Haly

Keshiks are amazing. They're mounted, so they can travel really fast, moving from one city to the next. They get a bonus to Great General generation, and Mongolia has a unique Great General called the Kahn, who is also mounted, and heals adjacent units for +15 per turn like the Medic promotion.

Most importantly, they can move after attacking. Meaning if you have an open field, you can get in range, attack, and then retreat. Against cities, you don't even need to bring any siege. You can just have them ping away at the city until it gets low enough to take, cycling them out so they each take turns hitting the city and moving back.

Their only downsides are that they can't capture so you need at least one melee unit to capture, and they lose a lot of their strength in areas filled with jungle/forest/hills.

KePoW

Banned
It's not really a horse dude. It's an archer than can move and fire. You will be able to take entire civilisations out without any of your Keshiks taking damage.

Along with the English Longbowmen and the Chinese Cho-Ko-Nu (and to a lesser extent Arabia's camel archers) the Keshik is one of the defining military units in the game. Those three units change how warfare works for you, and can be abused to completely and utterly dominate an opponent unless they are incredibly far ahead of you in tech.

Keshiks are amazing. They're mounted, so they can travel really fast, moving from one city to the next. They get a bonus to Great General generation, and Mongolia has a unique Great General called the Kahn, who is also mounted, and heals adjacent units for +15 per turn like the Medic promotion.

Most importantly, they can move after attacking. Meaning if you have an open field, you can get in range, attack, and then retreat. Against cities, you don't even need to bring any siege. You can just have them ping away at the city until it gets low enough to take, cycling them out so they each take turns hitting the city and moving back.

Their only downsides are that they can't capture so you need at least one melee unit to capture, and they lose a lot of their strength in areas filled with jungle/forest/hills.

WHOA SWEET, thanks!!

I'm not a Civ expert like you guys, so I *want* to use overpowered units hahha. I just have no idea which ones those are.

Like I said earlier in thread, I have a lot of trouble beating Prince on large/huge maps.

KePoW

Banned

And I just read this part more carefully... if I understand this correctly, is this really true?? That sounds fucking awesome!!

Trigger

Maybe I misread this some where, but I thought there was some scenario or mod or something where you could play as a city-state. Is that right?

I don't think I've ever seen that. There are mods for civs based on cultures that city states come from though. Have you checked the steam workshop?

SRG01

So, I need some pointers on Tourism. My Tourism is pretty stagnant because of my number of great works. How do I pump this number up so I can start influencing other civs? Do I need more cities? Shared religions?

Myomoto

So, I need some pointers on Tourism. My Tourism is pretty stagnant because of my number of great works. How do I pump this number up so I can start influencing other civs? Do I need more cities? Shared religions?

Tourism is mostly a late game thing. A lot of the late game buildings increase your tourism (airport, hotel). If you click the icon for amount of tourism generated each turn, you can see which bonuses/penalties you have with each civ in the game (open borders, trade route, ideology, etc).

Edit: Actually, calling tourism a late game thing is perhaps a bit misleading. Your tourism output is largely dependent on your culture output, but this only happens during the late game when you get airport and hotels that convert 50% of your culture in a city to tourism.

And I just read this part more carefully... if I understand this correctly, is this really true?? That sounds fucking awesome!!

It is true. They're borderline broken because the AI doesn't have a clue how to combat them.

Sblargh

Banned
Late game tourism gets real realsies.

- Order has two tenets that increase tourism in 33% each. One for civs who are also Order and other for civs less happy than you.

- Hotels increase tourism in the city by 50%

- Internet doubles tourism

- Natural Restort (or something) converts part of your culture in a city to tourism

- Airport also increases tourism by 50% IIRC

Also, don't forget that same religion, open border and trade routes increase tourism to that civ by 25% each.

Golden age also increases tourism, I think, this plus brazilian UA gives you more tourism once and then double tourism to each civ later.

Tourism has a lot of small details to make it work right, but it really is satisfying to see everyone falling one by one to your blue jeans and pop music.

Hitting Internet with a big pile of faith stockpiled to rush buy great musicians can shave tens of turns off your win times, btw. Don't neglect faith generation in a cultural win even if you ignore doing much with your religion.

Tradition is so much more fluid for me in BNW than Liberty is (Deity difficultly). I've only been going Liberty when doing 2 city composite bow rushes (Shaka's a feeder if you get him before Impi, and a terror if you have to face composite bows vs. his Impi, btw) to deal with neighbors that are too close and/or too easy.

Honor and Piety I still haven't found a place for too much in high level play on standard maps w/ standard settings. Even Monty is better off going tradition and super tall, and Piety is a second, not first, tree for the Byzantines (though the faith-buy on Universities is slick-I did that w/ Poland and it worked out real well, let me warmonger Shaka in Ren/Industrial without having to stop to hammer-build Universities or Public Schools).

edit: dat feel when the AI Darius has Petra+TOA. Pasargadae will be size billion by end of game.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Fuck Civ5's achievements. "As American have an archaeologist in Egypt digging within 2 tiles away from a German archaeologist". How about go fuck yourself? Enabling all achievements for sanity.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Awesome Indiana Jones achievement!

Yeah, just imagine some broken junkie trying to get this achievement. He'd create a huge map and make all of the AIs German and Egyptian, make cultural the only victor type to get the AI to make more archaeologists, and then like a maniac check the map for all german archaeologists approaching, and start digging.

Almost is batshit insane/impossible as that Deity Mongol scenario win.

Meanwhile the intern or whoever made these is trollfacing somewhere. Probably on gaf.

Haly

THE HOME FRONT
iNvEL64O8ZjF5.png

THE GLORIOUS PORTUGAL ARMADA (there's like, 3 Frigates in there with Logistics GGGG)

THE EXPATRIATES

THIS IS WHY I DON'T LIKE RELYING ON CITY STATES

KILL LIST:
Suleiman
Kamehameha
Hiawatha
Elizabeth
Theodora

THIS GAME IS HARD

t0i1fJ5.jpg

Poland lets you be super duper greedy with your social policies. Fitting in things like 2 points Piety (for the faster and better Temples/Shrines) , 2 points Patronage (for the permafriend bonus w/ pledge to protect spam), and even 3 point commerce for the much cheaper rush buys are all options while still going full on Rationalism and getting your endgame Ideology "finisher" up and running.

The stables were less than impressive, but it's not a dead building by any means. I had some of the UU but didn't need to use thing -this wasn't a warmonger game for me this time.

That UA is just really flexible-I had another game where I used it as a crutch while I went all-in to kill Genghis and cripple Shaka-yes, my two neighbors-before they got their UUs out. Flexibility isn't quite as strong as raw power focused into a linear strategy (see Babylon, Korea, Zulu, etc.) but it's better than the 12 gold and four culture you get from that POS Morocco UA that took three days to get a Deity win with this week.

Thumbs up Haly! I hate Hiawatha, what a POS spammer jerkface.

t0i1fJ5.jpg

Poland lets you be super duper greedy with your social policies. Fitting in things like 2 points Piety (for the faster and better Temples/Shrines) , 2 points Patronage (for the permafriend bonus w/ pledge to protect spam), and even 3 point commerce for the much cheaper rush buys are all options while still going full on Rationalism and getting your endgame Ideology "finisher" up and running.

The stables were less than impressive, but it's not a dead building by any means. I had some of the UU but didn't need to use thing -this wasn't a warmonger game for me this time.

That UA is just really flexible-I had another game where I used it as a crutch while I went all-in to kill Genghis and cripple Shaka-yes, my two neighbors-before they got their UUs out. Flexibility isn't quite as strong as raw power focused into a linear strategy (see Babylon, Korea, Zulu, etc.) but it's better than the 12 gold and four culture you get from that POS Morocco UA that took three days to get a Deity win with this week.

Do you still rate it 2/5? :p

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Had a friend who was hating on Civ V. He tried to play it alone, said it was wack. I kinda chipped at him for a week or so and he admitted he just didn't know what he was doing. We just had a multiplayer sessions and now he wants to start over so he can make a better build order. He didn't want to stop playing, either. I HAVE DESTROYED ANOTHER LIFE!

Myomoto

Had a friend who was hating on Civ V. He tried to play it alone, said it was wack. I kinda chipped at him for a week or so and he admitted he just didn't know what he was doing. We just had a multiplayer sessions and now he wants to start over so he can make a better build order. He didn't want to stop playing, either. I HAVE DESTROYED ANOTHER LIFE!

One of us! One of us!

not a brave new world question since i don't have it but more of a multiplayer civ one

is there anyway at all to diminish how laggy it gets between turns in late game? i have to click 'choose production' like 5 times before it goes at times.

InertiaXr

I love the music as Shoshone :D Playing a marathon round with them.

I've only ever played on standard speed in any civ games, how do people change their playstyle on marathon? Playing a huge map sprawling empire as probably Shoshone next sounds like a good change up from Venice.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You guys still planning that MP game on Sunday? I've never done MP before, but I'm not sure if I'll even have the time to do it, though.

Ogimachi

I bought a city state with Venice playing on MP and gave it to my (human) teammate. I told him to buy some tiles for me since Venice can't do it and then give it back to me. It worked, but when he gave it back to me, the city was not a puppet anymore, it worked exactly as a normal city does.
I could choose production, buy tiles, change name, manage citizen placement, everything.

Is this a glitch or something deliberate? Perhaps Venice's restriction affects only conquered/bought cities?

Mobius 1

th_Tetsuoooo.jpg

Vespene

not a brave new world question since i don't have it but more of a multiplayer civ one

is there anyway at all to diminish how laggy it gets between turns in late game? i have to click 'choose production' like 5 times before it goes at times.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think the computer acting as host is the one processing all the AI per turn. I don't see it being able to work any other way. If this is the case, make sure the host is the one with the fastest machine and better broadband, for every little thing the AI does is being sent to you (and the AI has to move a lot of units later on). Also, the slower the host's computer, the slower the AI will take its turn, thus it'll be sent to you at a slower rate.

My advice is to play hybrid (BNW feature), which makes it so everyone takes their turn in real time, including the AI.

Top Bottom