• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

pix

Spl1nter said:
WTF Classical era encompasses the peak of the Greek Empire and early-mid part of the Roman Empires, one of the greatest eras of human thought and technological revolution.

I guess I'm not good at showing sarcasm on the interwebs :(

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Really wish they would leave out the worker units and have everything managed in the city

If there's a resource nearby, improvements should be listed as buildings or under a separate improvements tab - want a road? Just go in and say build a road to the selected city, let the game handle the rest

Sure it's one thing that was done manually since the original civ (done by settlers) but it's something I'd prefer to have managed within the cities just so Im still involved and not setting my workers to auto improve to save the time I'm spending every turn

I hate that in my rush to improve my cities growth I get a bunch of workers on the field but near the end I have to disband most of them because of their upkeep

Just needless micromanagement imo and needless screen clutter :p

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Rez said:
true, but it's a much more appealing sort of complexity to me. I'm willing to sit down and throw myself against the rocks for a little while to learn certain systems, but the actual army-game in Civ IV never really did anything for me.
i guess there's something to be said too for having all the pieces laid out infront you, each a glistening idiosyncratic beacon of visual feedback, appealing particularly to the less seasoned civver.

edit: what astrolad said.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
mm, that too. It makes the game, at least on the surface level, seem much more readable.

Sblargh

Banned
Stacking one civil and one military naval unit means that you can stack a regular ground unit on water (that can't defend itself) with a military naval unit to protect it.

DopeyFish said:
Really wish they would leave out the worker units and have everything managed in the city

If there's a resource nearby, improvements should be listed as buildings or under a separate improvements tab - want a road? Just go in and say build a road to the selected city, let the game handle the rest

Sure it's one thing that was done manually since the original civ (done by settlers) but it's something I'd prefer to have managed within the cities just so Im still involved and not setting my workers to auto improve to save the time I'm spending every turn

I hate that in my rush to improve my cities growth I get a bunch of workers on the field but near the end I have to disband most of them because of their upkeep

I almost agree, my fear is that this make the early game even more a "just press button to next turn" than already is.
And without stacks, we get the situation where we have less units, but more micromanagement; I predict it will eventually get a bit too much if you are not automatizing workers.

JoeMartin said:
That you need a worker in the field to build improvements is good - invading countries can pillage tiles, and more importantly, resources, removing your access from it completely unless you move forces out of the city to defend those tiles so that workers can build improvements on them again - if you aren't willing to do that then you can effectively starve a cities population and production capabilities while you lay siege to it.

Also, this.

JoeMartin

DopeyFish said:

That you need a worker in the field to build improvements is good - invading countries can pillage tiles, and more importantly, resources, removing your access from it completely unless you move forces out of the city to defend those tiles so that workers can build improvements on them again - if you aren't willing to do that then you can effectively starve a cities population and production capabilities while you lay siege to it.

pix

The first thing I'm gonna do on Tuesday when I get home from work is play Multiplayer with my buddy. Gonna be awesome going in fresh, with no knowledge of any strategy.

noise36

Are we there yet?

I bought a copy...but keep checking p2p incase I can play it early...is that wrong?

What exactly is the point of artificial release dates that dont reflect when the product is actually ready for sale?

Sblargh

Banned
noise36 said:
Are we there yet?

I bought a copy...but keep checking p2p incase I can play it early...is that wrong?

What exactly is the point of artificial release dates that dont reflect when the product is actually ready for sale?

The point is being evil, that's what the point is!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
MrCompletely said:
Is it true review embargo is up today for Civ5?

I needs more content to consume before the game is released!
seems like several reviews went up at noon per my google news searching
(so far the best on i've read is the destructoid one believe it or not)

MjFrancis

Wired's Review:

Civilization V Makes Addictive Gameplay More Accessible Than Ever
Civilization V is one of the few games to grab my attention in such a way that I am no longer aware of my surroundings.

Civilization fans will know what I’m talking about. The series, whose newest entry releases Sept. 21 for PC, has players construct a functioning civilization from the ground up, starting from B.C. 4000 and ending at 2050 A.D. To do so, they must explore the world, research new technologies and build up their economy. The result is a deep and complex turn-based strategy game that has had players hooked for close to 20 years.
Not much to it, really.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
This game was really just barely on my radar, as I'm more than happy with Civ IV for now and barely have any time for gaming with school + work, but for some reason the fact that the game will be ~$40 at Fry's on release day has me wanting to grab it. :lol

ghst

thanks for the laugh
noise36 said:
Are we there yet?

as a staunch buyer of pc games in the uk, this split release date business is certainly cause for dilemma (we get it unlocked on the 24th).

MjFrancis

Monroeski said:
This game was really just barely on my radar, as I'm more than happy with Civ IV for now and barely have any time for gaming with school + work, but for some reason the fact that the game will be ~$40 at Fry's on release day has me wanting to grab it.
Say goodbye to any "spare" time you might have had, then. :D

I have. At least, any time I would spend on other games. I've had a week of half-assed gaming because I'm not starting anything I can't finish before Civ V drops. Once Civ V is out, my consoles are going to gather dust and every other PC game will sit untouched for a month. At least.

Sblargh

Banned
ghst said:
as a staunch buyer of pc games in the uk, this split release date business is certainly cause for dilemma (we get it unlocked on the 24th).

In Brazil too, the release date is 24th. Damn you american exceptionalism.

Edit: Actually, it is the 23rd at 8 p.m; I'm just guessing that this is 24th midnight in Europe.

MjFrancis

AstroLad said:
My one gripe with the tech-tree this time around is that even with all the research buffing structures built in all your cities, it can be difficult to reach the required techs to win the space race before 2050. In every match I’ve played so far, I’ve always reached the cultural victory conditions far before I could start building my spaceship. I tend to play smaller, focused empires (3-5 cities max), so this might be mitigated by pushing to expand your civ. However, that’s difficult if you play on a normal or small map size -- you’ll be forced to fight other civs early on to clear space for the needed cities to research faster.
I experienced this in Civ IV and Civ Revolution. This is probably common with most players who kept a lower city count - I was keen to keep 4 - 6 cities in most of my games, razing any city with a less-than-ideal location.

Destructoid's review was far more in-depth that Wired's review! The Wired review didn't bother to compare or contrast Civ V with any other Civ game save for a few short sentences, and really lacked any rudimentary criticism. It was practically a back-of-the-box summary.

Thanks for posting the Destructoid review!

ghst

thanks for the laugh
alanias said:
Caught one worrisome note in the Shack News review : http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/65623

Not being able to save a multiplayer game would be a real bummer. I don't usually have 5 hours to throw at a game in one afternoon/evening.

oh what the shit? that's a pretty big fuckup. and by big i mean completely and totally crippling to the game's multiplayer.

surely there's something awry here, they wouldn't make that kind of oversight to a numbered civ? this is post new thread outrage if true.

Wes

venison crêpe
That sounds bizarre that you can't save MP.

Maybe that was just in the press build? *hopes*

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
MjFrancis said:
Thanks for posting the Destructoid review!
Yeah felt like the guy was a real fan and pretty knowledgeable about the series.

That sucks about game saves if true. That's how I play MP. Spread it out over 3-4 sessions. :/

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Wes said:
That sounds bizarre that you can't save MP.

Maybe that was just in the press build? *hopes*

They said they would be updating multiplayer a few weeks after launch, I'm going to make a prediction that that's one of the things they add.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Review synopses added to OP:

Shacknews - 4.5/5
All in all, Civilization V is an amazing game. Firaxis has changed so many things, but manages to keep the feel of what makes this a Civilization title. There's a major level of polish across all facets of the game and it is absolutely gorgeous. It can be a bit of a resource hog as games progress, but it won't require a top of the line rig. Series veterans will find welcome changes and newcomers should enjoy learning Civ in this version.

Destructoid - 9.5/10
Civilization V makes huge advances to the series that do nothing but enhance the essential experience. Improvements to the user interface and AI at all levels result in it being more approachable for newcomers without losing any of the strategic depth that long-time fans crave. It vastly improves combat, making the micro-level gameplay both more complex and entertaining. It trims all the fat, leaving only decision-making, strategic planning, and the sheer joy of crushing your enemies. Civ V is the pinnacle of the franchise to date.

Wired - 8/10
In a sea of shooters with pounding soundtracks and frenetic gameplay, Civilization V is one of the few games to challenge players’ minds — to have them sit back and analyze situations methodically. If Halo: Reach is heaven on earth for twitch-gamers everywhere, then Civilization V is the thinking man’s paradise.

Gaming Nexus - 5/5
Civilization V is, once again, going to consume countless hours of my life in turn-based bliss. With the "boardgame" feel and the slick, polished features, I know I'm in for many sleep-deprived mornings. Fans of the series, or turn-based 4X games in general, will have a blast with this for a long time to come. And while it might be a little daunting to newcomers, Civilization V is also a great place for those who might want to wet their feet in the 4X pool.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Spire said:
They said they would be updating multiplayer a few weeks after launch, I'm going to make a prediction that that's one of the things they add.
vague allusions to fixing something fundamentally broken within an unspecified time period aren't what a team with firaxis' clout and take two's money should be doing with a numbered civ.

Edgeward

Whoa, not being able to save atm (sure it will be patched in if true) is a huge bummer. That's the only way I've been able to play Civ 4 with a bud of mine, I can't be hassled to find time where we both can sit down for hours at a time to play it. Well, at least it keeps my wallet safe for now. I was getting real tempted with all the hype.

MjFrancis

Still waiting for the Ars Technica review. They can be hit or miss, so far as content goes. I hardly look at the final score in game reviews anymore, since nearly every one of them is so screwed up.
alanias said:
Not being able to save a multiplayer game would be a real bummer. I don't usually have 5 hours to throw at a game in one afternoon/evening.
This could be a big omission if it wasn't just the review build!

XiaNaphryz

MjFrancis said:
I experienced this in Civ IV and Civ Revolution. This is probably common with most players who kept a lower city count - I was keen to keep 4 - 6 cities in most of my games, razing any city with a less-than-ideal location.
In regards to Destructoid's reviewer saying it was easier for him to et a cultural victory instead of a science one, there's this explanation over at the CF forum:

This is easily explained, he had a civ of a few cities only, this makes SP gathering lots cheaper. So cultural would be easy for him, but with little expansion he shouldn't be so good at science gathering. If you think all the victory conditions will come to you, you are wrong, you will need to adapt your playing style to win, you don't expect to win domination if your an isolationist 3 city civ who makes peace with everyone are you?

So basically, take that in context, he couldn't win at science, not because doing so is impossible or any harder than a cultural victory, its just that he sucked at it. Which is no ones fault but his own

ghst said:
vague allusions to fixing something fundamentally broken within an unspecified time period aren't what a team with firaxis' clout and take two's money should be doing with a numbered civ.
Didn't they do the same thing with Civ IV? MP was really really basic and they released more modes later on (Pitboss, PBEM, Hot-Seat, etc).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Steve Youngblood said:
From the Wired review:

Excellent insight. Patience required in a complex turn-based strategy game? I may have to reconsider my purchase.
Comparing it to Halo Reach was my favorite part. :lol If it was released a few months ago, I guess they could have compared it to Red Dead Redemption.

Hari Seldon

Steve Youngblood said:
From the Wired review:

Excellent insight. Patience required in a complex turn-based strategy game? I may have to reconsider my purchase.

Basically what he is saying is: Negative: This is not an FPS. :lol :lol :lol

ghst

thanks for the laugh
maybe i should make a thread about that wired review after the elemental review thread went down so well. there's no "robust multiplayer" smoking gun, but it's been a while since i've read another review so completely devoid of insight or hint that the guy played the game beyond the first fifteen minutes.

you could swap out all references to civ V to civ II in that review and it would be equally applicable. shameful shit. it reads like a vapidly reverent 10/10 then gets knocked for, as far as i can gather, not being halo.

XiaNaphryz

I'm still a bit suspect on that Shacknews review comment on multiplayer. Vanilla MP should at least have the options for turn-based or simultaneous turns. The not saving thing also sounds odd, as one of the things the game should do if you hit an OOS error is ask if you want to save or continue on.

CzarTim

ghst said:
maybe i should make a thread about that wired review after the elemental review thread went down so well. there's no "robust multiplayer" smoking gun, but it's been a while since i've read another review so completely devoid of insight or hint that the guy played the game beyond the first fifteen minutes.

you could swap out all references to civ V to civ II in that review and it would be equally applicable. shameful shit.
Unfortunately, I've come to expect it from this industry. Did anyone read that pitiful Civ 5 Multiplayer preview from
Kotaku
? It was written entirely in second person.

Shambles

Steve Youngblood said:
From the Wired review:

Not surprising considering somehow they managed to throw in a Halo Reach reference in there. Talk about being desperate to be relevant.

MjFrancis

czartim said:
Did anyone read that pitiful Civ 5 Multiplayer preview from
Kotaku
? It was written entirely in second person.
I make it a point not to frequent that site. On occasion I've found a gem, but the whole goal of that blog is to post as much content as possible to generate the most page views. Quality is usually an afterthought.

It's like The Daily Mail of games journalism.

Hari Seldon

XiaNaphryz said:
I'm still a bit suspect on that Shacknews review comment on multiplayer. Vanilla MP should at least have the options for turn-based or simultaneous turns. The not saving thing also sounds odd, as one of the things the game should do if you hit an OOS error is ask if you want to save or continue on.

Yeah I am also. This sounds a bit dodgy.

ghst said:

Yeah, it's bullshit. But I guess waiting until the weekend will at least mean I am functional on a normal amount of sleep the rest of that week.

I'm hoping the demo is worldwide simultaneous so I can at least give that a go while I wait for PC Gamings most important worldwide territory to be allowed to play this.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
MrNyarlathotep said:
Yeah, it's bullshit. But I guess waiting until the weekend will at least mean I am functional on a normal amount of sleep the rest of that week.

I'm hoping the demo is worldwide simultaneous so I can at least give that a go while I wait for PC Gamings most important worldwide territory to be allowed to play this.
the dilemma is a moral one, as let's not pretend there aren't options available for pc gamers who have legally purchased a game that is only unlocked to play in a far away land.

Steve Youngblood said:
From the Wired review:

The only reason why I skip so many turns is because I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I'm waiting for monuments to build and all of my cities are fortified and relatively happy. Isn't that the goal of the game? So why do I always get a Dan Quayle rating. I hope Civ V addresses this.

ChoklitReign said:
The only reason why I skip so many turns is because I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I'm waiting for monuments to build and all of my cities are fortified and relatively happy. Isn't that the goal of the game? So why do I always get a Dan Quayle rating. I hope Civ V addresses this.
Not to be antagonistic or anything, but I'm not sure why this is a reply to me.

ElNarez

Banned
ChoklitReign said:
Well, there's your problem. You're always supposed to do something, whether it's making a building or a unit, moving a unit, having a fight, doing some diplomacy, using your workers to improve some tiles or anything else.

Top Bottom