• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Ysiadmihi said:
Playing lots of Civ 4 and it's really making me glad we're getting a revamped combat system.

Same. I spent the last few days playing non-stop almost but Ive decided to stop cold turkey cause Civ 5 is basically a whole new game and theres no point in trying to get really proficient at 4 since most strategies and skills will not carry over.

Plus Im tired of getting my pants handed to me by the AI and their 8 billion man armies only a few dozen turns away from a cultural or diplomatic victory.

Ysiadmihi said:
Playing lots of Civ 4 and it's really making me glad we're getting a revamped combat system.
I tried that last night...then the AI declared war on me early and marched an 8 stack up to one of my towns and I decided I've had plenty of Civ 4.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Forgot to add Tech Tree info to the OP, it's up there now. This is from an older screenshot, and there's a good chance the release version has changed since this was taken. Click thumbnail for the full closeup.

* Icons seem to go from left to right: Units, City Buildings, Wonders, Revealed Resources, Tile Improvements, Abilities, Projects. Buildings, Wonders and Resources are circular icons.
* Terrain Improvements and terrain working abilities appear as white icons without a circular border.
* Unit icons often "break" the boundaries of their circular border and so are easier to identify.

The Civ V tree, especially in the early eras, is significantly condensed from the previous game, but most of the key technologies are still there. Most of the missing techs from Civ 4 are either religion related or civil/social related, and the roles/bonuses for the latter should haved move to social policies.

It looks like you start the game with Agriculture, and go from there. So no more different starting techs for different civilizations. Technologies can no longer be traded, but you can enter into Research Agreements with other civilizations.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I want this game, bad.

(Tagging the thread.)

Sober

Also, someone on CF got ahold of the Civ5 strategy guide, so the Civ5 analyst site just got updated alot; social policies, all the civs and their UU/UB/abilities are now listed and everything.

graywolf323

Sober said:
Also, someone on CF got ahold of the Civ5 strategy guide, so the Civ5 analyst site just got updated alot; social policies, all the civs and their UU/UB/abilities are now listed and everything.

I didn't even know there was a strategy guide being published for this game

doesn't seem like they'd really be able to tell everything for Civ V in a guide, it's really a game where you have to learn not just follow a walkthrough :lol

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Just saw this tidbit elsewhere, added to the OP in the city section:

Also note that in Civ V, expanding your empire too fast (either through settlers or conquest) will result in some significant unhappiness (initially +3 Unhappiness, then 1 for each population).
It really does seem like they're trying to discourage really fast expansion this time around.

Cday

Banned
There's also this from Civ Analyst

# Each city you own will increase Social Policy costs by 30%.

India has nothing to worry about

# Population Growth (India): Unhappiness from number of cities doubled, Unhappiness from number of Citizens halved.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
XiaNaphryz said:
Just saw this tidbit elsewhere, added to the OP in the city section:

It really does seem like they're trying to discourage really fast expansion this time around.

The motto for this game should be "Quality over Quantity." All the major changes have been reductive in an attempt to force players to be more deliberate in their actions and conscious of their choices rather than going through the motions like in Civ IV where you have to try to build up and expand as fast as possible to protect your land interest and prevent AI from boxing you in and then ramping up militarily to hold off the dozens of combat units that they keep churning out non-stop. I mean hell now you even have to think about building road since they cost gold to maintain(Rome better get a reduction in maintenance cost).

markot

Banned
I am happy that they got rid of religion, it was annoying >.<

And I like the new combat stuff, should make it much more interesting.

Cant Wait!

And yeah, gametrailers changed it awhile back so you had to sign up to dload vids.

Shambles

For some reason the video is horribly corrupted no matter if i try to open it in FF, IE or Chrome. Anyone have a different source for this file? Strange that no one else seems to have this problem.

Zzoram

Enduin said:
The motto for this game should be "Quality over Quantity." All the major changes have been reductive in an attempt to force players to be more deliberate in their actions and conscious of their choices rather than going through the motions like in Civ IV where you have to try to build up and expand as fast as possible to protect your land interest and prevent AI from boxing you in and then ramping up militarily to hold off the dozens of combat units that they keep churning out non-stop. I mean hell now you even have to think about building road since they cost gold to maintain(Rome better get a reduction in maintenance cost).

This sounds exactly right, and it's a step in the right direction. I hated end game Civ IV because it was just unit spam and managing stacks of 50+ units to even defend yourself.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Zzoram said:
This sounds exactly right, and it's a step in the right direction. I hated end game Civ IV because it was just unit spam and managing stacks of 50+ units to even defend yourself.

Yeah I usually call it quits somewhere during the Industrial Era unless things are going really really well. It just becomes too much by that point and it isnt fun.

With that I am very interested to see how things play out in Civ V and if the changes will be enough to keep things interesting and strategic later in the game. I think it will now that navies can play a larger role offensively and just the fact that the strength of your armies wont be so much based on size but more so on the quality of the units themselves and their upgrades and most importantly on the battle plans of the players. I look forward to fortifying my territories with a small but well placed army and staving off larger armies of enemy nations.

DEO3

Page 3? Really? A shameful NeoGAF indeed.

Anyway, does anyone know why the classical era is only one tech deep? It seems odd when every other era is three techs deep.

pix

DEO3 said:
Page 3? Really? A shameful NeoGAF indeed.

Anyway, does anyone know why the classical era is only one tech deep? It seems odd when every other era is three techs deep.

The classical era consisted of the laziest leaders, and they were all tried of doing shit from the previous era's. True reflection on history.

I've never been able to get into a Civ game before, despite liking turn-based games. Crazy, I know. I think I'm gonna take a stab at this one though. Sounds like the combat has been improved a lot, which should make it appealing for me.

Spl1nter

pix said:
The classical era consisted of the laziest leaders, and they were all tried of doing shit from the previous era's. True reflection on history.

WTF Classical era encompasses the peak of the Greek Empire and early-mid part of the Roman Empires, one of the greatest eras of human thought and technological revolution.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
no unit stacking is such an appealing feature to me, being a very-casual Civ IV/Rev player.

does this mean we can't even have, say, a scout and a rifleman on the same tile?

Hari Seldon

Rez said:
no unit stacking is such an appealing feature to me, being a very-casual Civ IV/Rev player.

does this mean we can't even have, say, a scout and a rifleman on the same tile?

Certain types of unit stacking are still allowed: workers with military units, carriers with airplanes, subs with missiles, etc. But two military units or two workers are not allowed to stack.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
graywolf323 said:
I didn't even know there was a strategy guide being published for this game

doesn't seem like they'd really be able to tell everything for Civ V in a guide, it's really a game where you have to learn not just follow a walkthrough :lol
I'm getting it in from Amazon today. I'm not a big strategy-guide person, but I am a fan of nice bound reference manuals. And since those don't exist in their traditional form anymore, good strategy guides these days are basically the next-best thing. Here's hoping this one's up to snuff.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Hari Seldon said:
Certain types of unit stacking are still allowed: workers with military units, carriers with airplanes, subs with missiles, etc. But two military units or two workers are not allowed to stack.
that seems very sensible, good to hear

Hari Seldon

AstroLad said:
I'm getting it in from Amazon today. I'm not a big strategy-guide person, but I am a fan of nice bound reference manuals. And since those don't exist in their traditional form anymore, good strategy guides these days are basically the next-best thing. Here's hoping this one's up to snuff.

Lemme know how it is, I should have Amazon primed that in for something to read this weekend haha.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
(Probably dumb) Question about Steamworks - if I buy and install the game off of a disc, then register with Steam, I can still run the game with the original install off the disc, right? If I do, it still shows up on Steam that I'm playing it like any other Steam game, correct?

Registering with Steam sounds cool, but I'd rather have the smaller install footprint that comes with running off the disc, I think, or at least have the option.

Hari Seldon said:
Wait... so two or more workers can no longer work the same tile? :eek:

Monroeski said:
(Probably dumb) Question about Steamworks - if I buy and install the game off of a disc, then register with Steam, I can still run the game with the original install off the disc, right? If I do, it still shows up on Steam that I'm playing it like any other Steam game, correct?

Registering with Steam sounds cool, but I'd rather have the smaller install footprint that comes with running off the disc, I think, or at least have the option.

All disc and DD copies will be the same. Registering the game on Steam is part of the install process, you don't have a choice about it.

Modern games don't ever use a disc for anything more than a disc check (and Steamworks titles don't even use it for that), you're not saving any HDD space by having a disc in the drive.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Rez said:

not that i'd ever want to put a guy off of his civ, but it's been my impression that unit positioning, ranged combat and hex based panzer general-lite tactical decisions will give the whole game an extra layer of mechanical complexity, as opposed to just pushing a marauding square of hate around the map.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ghst said:
not that i'd ever want to put a guy off of his civ, but it's been my impression that unit positioning, ranged combat and hex based panzer general-lite tactical decisions will give the whole game an extra layer of mechanical complexity, as opposed to just pushing a marauding square of hate around the map.
true, but it's a much more appealing sort of complexity to me. I'm willing to sit down and throw myself against the rocks for a little while to learn certain systems, but the actual army-game in Civ IV never really did anything for me.

Cday

Banned
You can stack 1 civilian and 1 military or naval unit in the same tile. Air units can stack to an unknown amount in cities or up to 3 on carriers. Missiles count as air units and can stack in cities up to an unknown amount or up to 3 on a missile cruiser or up to 2 on a nuclear submarine. The civilian units are settlers, workers, work boats, great people, embarked land units and the space ship components.

Top Bottom