• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

Hari Seldon said:
Well they are all kind of the same except for D2D. I already had pre-ordered it on Steam but if I hadn't I would have probably went D2D.
Yeah, plus with D2D you get the first DLC for free. I was already able to pre-load.

Just a few more days till I find out that my laptop won't run the game! :lol

MjFrancis

bleahy said:
Ha ha! It's automatic, that's why I couldn't find it.
Well, that's a relief. It was so intuitive you looked right past it. "Why won't this thing let me save? Argh! Oh, it's been doing it for me automatically the whole time. Sweet!" :lol

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
G4 - 5/5
Civilization 5 is a fantastic turn-based strategy game, retaining the same addictive gameplay the first Civilization brought to PC gaming almost 20 years ago. In many ways, Civ 5 is the best representation of the series and certainly the most accessible for new and old players alike. Not all of the changes work or enhance the game, but most are a large improvement towards an even more playable entertainment experience. Between Starcraft 2 and Civilization 5, PC gaming is far from dead, folks!

Sblargh

Banned
Reading IGN's "What is Civilization" makes me want a retrospective. A nice little video showing "on the first civ, it was like this, than on civ 2, this changed" etc.

eznark

Banned
I wish reviews led with "hey PC gaming isn't dead I guess, who knew!" instead of inevitably ending with it so that I didn't waste my time.

pix

Shalashaska said:
Don't worry, they raised it now so we can hear the GS employee say 'yeah' a million times and cough every 5 seconds.

YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP :cough: YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP :cough: YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP :cough: YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP :cough YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP SURE YEP

gillty

Banned
pix said:
YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP :cough: YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP :cough: YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP :cough: YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP :cough YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP SURE YEP
mhmm!

Sblargh

Banned
I liked the bit where he used the sea to go for the undefended back of the city. Game is obviously scripted so he could show off stuff, but I can see stuff like that happening on real games.

pix

So even though the stream was shit, i liked the Unit pull down menu which displays all your units and you can click on it to automatically select the units regardless of where it is. GDR with 150 attack good lord.

XiaNaphryz

pix said:
So even though the stream was shit, i liked the Unit pull down menu which displays all your units and you can click on it to automatically select the units regardless of where it is. GDR with 150 attack good lord.
God damn robots!

Zing

Banned
Zzoram said:
This sounds exactly right, and it's a step in the right direction. I hated end game Civ IV because it was just unit spam and managing stacks of 50+ units to even defend yourself.

I guess if you try for conquest. I have never won a standard+ size game via conquest. It was usually culture, space race, or UN.

pix said:

What does it take to build a GDR?

Zing

Banned
Shalashaska said:
Don't worry, they raised it now so we can hear the GS employee say 'yeah' a million times and cough every 5 seconds.

I thought this was exaggeration until I decided to listen for myself. What the fuck? The dude is like, "yep, yeah, awesome, ahem, yeah, cough, awesome", and I only listened for about 15 seconds.

Maybe its been answered somewhere and I missed it, but concerning resources:

So resources are now limited and making units that use them can eventually cause them to run out? Do replacements ever spawn? How quickly do these resources run out?

Granted I'll find out in a few days anyways but still, seems like something that could either be very annoying or lead to some very cool things.

Ideally if they aren't replenishable hopefully they won't run out in a normal game until roughly the time you no longer need it, IE Iron runs out when you are nearing the age of gunpowder.

Would be funny to see an oil shortage and have it collapse the world economy.

Victrix

*beard*
Resources are 'used up' as you build units, then replenished if those units die. So one iron might let you build 5 Samurai or whatever, but no more than that.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Resources still function the same as in previous Civs like you needing access to Horses to have Chariots or Iron to build Swordsman its just this time theres a limit on how many units said resources can support at one time, the more of a resource you have the more units it can support at any given moment.

Its not like say the Settlers where Iron mines or Quarries have a limited amount of said resource that will dry up and you then have to find a new source. Its more about supporting a set number of units at a given moment.

I hope that the game will work out that if an AI country has say a lot of Iron and Horses that even if they are a normally peaceful country they will be more aggressive based on the fact that they have a natural military advantage over their neighbors.

CzarTim

Sblargh said:
I liked the bit where he used the sea to go for the undefended back of the city. Game is obviously scripted so he could show off stuff, but I can see stuff like that happening on real games.
This why I love the one unit per tile. I think misdirection is actually going to be a viable military tactic. Especially in MP games.

TaeOH

Well after reading the reviews, Sid is sucking me in again. Sounds great, and I really did not think they would out do Civ 4

eznark said:
All right, GameStop is not accepting in-store pickup for online orders. I was going with them because 1. I want a physical cope and 2. I have credit. Since that doesn't really matter now, what's the consensus best pre-order bonus?

if you order online by monday afternoon and choose overnight shipping youll have it release day

XiaNaphryz

Rollo Larson said:
if you order online by monday afternoon and choose overnight shipping youll have it release day
Amazon should be offering release-day shipping as well.

Sblargh

Banned
manual said:
Culture Bomb: This order will consume the Great Person and make the tile this unit is on, as well as all adjacent tiles, become part of your border, even if they belong to another player

Sounds powerful. And the icon is this adorable little bomb with a musical note in it.

Sblargh

Banned
delirium said:
Civ 4 had the same thing.

And it was powerful then, except now cities expand one tile at a time.
You are no longer adding culture to the city so the city has enough culture to expand, you are just flipping tiles in any direction you want, even outside a city ring, I imagine.

Hari Seldon

DurielBlack said:
Maybe its been answered somewhere and I missed it, but concerning resources:

So resources are now limited and making units that use them can eventually cause them to run out? Do replacements ever spawn? How quickly do these resources run out?

Granted I'll find out in a few days anyways but still, seems like something that could either be very annoying or lead to some very cool things.

Ideally if they aren't replenishable hopefully they won't run out in a normal game until roughly the time you no longer need it, IE Iron runs out when you are nearing the age of gunpowder.

Would be funny to see an oil shortage and have it collapse the world economy.

Like it was said already, each resource has a unit cap. So if you have 1 iron resource you cannot build unlimited units that require iron. The resource doesn't disappear from the map or anything.

XiaNaphryz

DEO3 said:
Looking through this, there's this tidbit:
Effects of Damage

A damaged unit is less effective when attacking than a fully-healed unit. The more damaged the unit, the less its attack – melee or ranged – will damage an opponent. The actual formula is more complex than this, but as a general rule a unit’s damage output is reduced by half the percentage of HPs that it has lost. In other words, a unit that has lost 5 HPs (50%) has the amount of damage it does reduced by 25%, and the damage a unit that has lost 9 HPs (90%) inflicts, is reduced by 45%.
So Japan's special ability doesn't seem to be as big of an advantage some may have been thinking, though that was rather apparent in the long playthrough vid.

any offer/sale on this one (retail//hard copy only)?
after civIV i made my mind to only go after goty, but my civ-craving won't stop, so i guess i'll buy the retail civ V at launch :|

Sblargh

Banned
Woah woah woah, wait a minute.
Is there a tower made of porcelain?
*google furiously*
blablabla temple of blablabla destroyed in blablabla
Yeah, but it was actually made of porcelain?
*google moar*
Holy shit, there are buildings around the world made of porcelain.

What a fantastic little planet we have here.

Sober

XiaNaphryz said:
So Japan's special ability doesn't seem to be as big of an advantage some may have been thinking, though that was rather apparent in the long playthrough vid.
It's probably still going to be a great ability/annoying to fight against since there might be situations where you might not completely destroy the unit outright from combat anymore. If you reduced a Japanese unit from 10 > 6 > 1 hp just throwing units at it (assuming they all died from 10 HP) that's alot of bang for your buck for a unit.

Top Bottom