• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Anyone else getting weird launching issues? My launch window looks like this:
civ5.png

I can only select the DX9 mode, as you can see the DX10/11 is doubled over with both grayed out and white text. Now Im running an ATI 4890 on Windows 7 but since thats not a DX11 card does that mean I can only play the game on DX9 mode?

Also when I start the game up its super tweaky and only runs about 4 seconds of the intro movie and cuts out and jumps straight to the main menu.

LowParry

Wow, game looks fantastic. Everything set to high. 1920x1080 with 8xAA - Can't play much though but I'll get in some good time tonight. Super exciting!

Enduin said:
civ5.png

I can only select the DX9 mode, as you can see the DX10/11 is doubled over with both grayed out and white text. Now Im running an ATI 4890 on Windows 7 but since thats not a DX11 card does that mean I can only play the game on DX9 mode?

Also when I start the game up its super tweaky and only runs about 4 seconds of the intro movie and cuts out and jumps straight to the main menu.

I got the same thing. I didn't have any issues with the movie playing though.

Deadman

Mine also says no connection, but the dl is still working for some reason.

Edit: The dl finished but now wont let me play, says its an incomplete install :(

Double edit: I get the same error as the poster below.

Carm

Another horrible PC release. I and many others can't even launch the game. Gets stuck "completing installation" even though its preloaded and the files for today were already downloaded. Verifying the cache does nothing.

Getting "Incomplete installation of Sid Meier's Civilization V (3)". *Sigh*

syllogism

Enduin said:
civ5.png

Reboot

syllogism

Galanthas said:
Another horrible PC release. I and many others can't even launch the game. Gets stuck "completing installation" even though its preloaded and the files for today were already downloaded. Verifying the cache does nothing.

Getting "Incomplete installation of Sid Meier's Civilization V (3)". *Sigh*
More like a standard high profile Steam release, they just can't handle the traffic

MjFrancis

AstroLad said:
probably won't get my civ properly on until october. pls don't get too good so i can still have some gaffers to play competitive games with
Well I would hope that word of mouth spreads enough so that there would still be noobs joining in come October. Heck, there are people waiting until the complete edition comes out in two or three years!

I suppose one small silver lining that UK Gaffers won't be able to access it until Friday is that hopefully the first day of crap gets resolved before we are allowed in

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Anyone gonna create a GAF Civ group on Steam?

Also, Babylon info:

Babylon

Leader: Nebuchadnezzar II
Unique Unit: Bowman - higher strength than normal Archer unit both defensively and offensively.
Unique Building: Walls of Babylon - Higher defense than normal City Walls improvement, increases combat strength during bombardment
Special Ability: Earn free great scientist when you discover Writing, earn great scientists at double normal rate.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I'm on direct2drive atm, but I can't find where I'm supposed to type in "Pax" for that discout. Maybe it's an US only thing?

Ri'Orius

Downloaded the demo, but probably won't get a chance to play it until tonight. Anyone know what the limitations are for the demo version?

XiaNaphryz said:
Turning down detail doesn't help?

So my experience has been. DX10 a no go. Set everything to medium and it just chugs along. The little graphic around active units just skips and skips. So I think, okay I'll try DX9. Put everything to Low and things are okay. Decide that I'll start with low fog instead of the hideous alternative. Everything is fine. Then I try to run everything on comp settings in DX10 and now the terrain isn't showing properly. And the first person to tell me how to auto-skip the opening movie gets 1000 points.

iam220

Sitting at work, waiting for impressions. My copy is pre-loaded at home.

Jibber Hack said:
I meet the min requirements, but I'm having a ton of problems/graphical issues playing. Depressing.

Update graphics drivers?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Babylon leader pic added to OP.

14ecp34.png

Jibber Hack said:
So my experience has been. DX10 a no go. Set everything to medium and it just chugs along. The little graphic around active units just skips and skips. So I think, okay I'll try DX9. Put everything to Low and things are okay. Decide that I'll start with low fog instead of the hideous alternative. Everything is fine. Then I try to run everything on comp settings in DX10 and now the terrain isn't showing properly. And the first person to tell me how to auto-skip the opening movie gets 1000 points.
Seeing other reports around the web of people having issues with DX10/11, but playing fine in DX9.

Rad-

How the hell is the demo 4 gigs? Blah, it's going to take me like 10 hours. I think I'll pass, I know it's going to be great anyways. Come on, fridayyyyy.

alanias

XiaNaphryz said:
Babylon leader pic added to OP.

14ecp34.png

Seeing other reports around the web of people having issues with DX10/11, but playing fine in DX9.

What are his special units/buildings/abilities?

TheExodu5

Banned
I don't even get that launcher when I start the game. I get Play Civ and Play Civ DX9 in the little Steam popup, but that's it.

Looks like the demo is the full game so I guess if I decide to purchase the game after trying the demo then it'll just download a few MB patch to unlock the rest of the game.

Sblargh

Banned
crimsonheadGCN said:
Looks like the demo is the full game so I guess if I decide to purchase the game after trying the demo then it'll just download a few MB patch to unlock the rest of the game.

Yes, the demo is the full game (that stops at turn 150), but afaik it is a separate download.
(becuase I have it preloaded, but have to download another 5 GBs entirely for the demo)

Ok, I downloaded an extra gig, I guess it is the deluxe stuff aand, yep, Babylon on my computer now just waiting for the 23rd.

Moobabe

Sblargh said:
Yes, the demo is the full game (that stops at turn 150), but afaik it is a separate download.
(becuase I have it preloaded, but have to download another 5 GBs entirely for the demo)

There has to be a way to play the demo without downloading the game again

Phloxy

Enduin said:
civ5.png

Getting the same fucking problem.

Also the intro is flickering really really bad with no sound. Never buying a PC game first day again, this shit is so fucked.

markao

Rad- said:
How the hell is the demo 4 gigs? Blah, it's going to take me like 10 hours. I think I'll pass, I know it's going to be great anyways. Come on, fridayyyyy.
Demo was 2.37 Gb, at least that's what Steam told me after the download was finished.

All works ok (so far) on my 5850 in DX10/11 mode.

Direct 10/11 works fine for me. game runs fine on the default settings. whatever it is. oh and joystiq was giving away the full game on twitter. maybe they'll do it again.

Hmm. Okay. I picked up a hard copy of the game and after putting in my KEY CODE...I get this message:

Please first activate the game.

The product code you entered requires ownership of another product before activation.

....anyone? What the hell does this mean? What do I do?

Hmm...I think I installed the game. :lol

Shit...I don't get this whatsoever.

Problem solved...I was typing in the map pack code and not the one on the back of the manual.

Ok so I picked up a hard copy of the game, but my disk drive doesnt seem to be working. Is there a way to download this and use my CD key or am I SOL?

zoku88

My fog of war is totally just black XD

The game runs pretty well otherwise, on my POS laptop. Low settings, though. But it's civ, who cares? lol

EDIT: @above. You can just put a CD key in.

Mobius 1

Unboxing pics as promised :D

The box comes in a dust cover:
IMG_0127.JPG

Box:
IMG_0133.JPG

Once you open it you will find the art book. It's very nice, printed in quality paper. Notice the ribbon to pull it out from the box without damaging the spine:
IMG_0135.JPG

Pull the book out and you will find the disc case and the metal figures...
IMG_0137.JPG

... and under the disc case, the soundtrack and behind the scenes discs.
IMG_0143.JPG

Detail of the mech figurine - brings me back to Battletech times...
IMG_0141.JPG

And all the items:
IMG_0149.JPG

Now, its done installing and I'm out to play it. See you in the other side.

dream

Jibber Hack said:
And the first person to tell me how to auto-skip the opening movie gets 1000 points.

Alt-tabbing out and then spamming mouse clicks in the Civ 5 window seemed to work for me.

Pretty poor form though.

Top Bottom