• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

Cromat

I have a lousy laptop video card (integrated Intel Series 4) but i'm fine otherwise, 2.3MHz Pentium T4500 Dual Core and 3GB RAM.
Downloading the demo at the moment... I hope it can run at the lowest settings, do you think I have any hope?

I played for about two hours this morning with no problems. Except for some stuttering in the intro video. I played the DX10/11 version. My system is just shy of the recommended requirements, but I was still able to max everything out and play at a very smooth frame rate.

I'm running it on:
C2D E8400
Geforce GTX 275
4GB RAM

Stupid work, getting in the way of my Civ time.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Wes said:
UK GAF:

Where's the best place to order from to get it release day? Play? Game? Amazon?
GAME have always been good to me and games usually come the day before. Just checked my email and it looks like GAME may be sending out their copies tomorrow.

dream said:
Alt-tabbing out and then spamming mouse clicks in the Civ 5 window seemed to work for me.

Pretty poor form though.
Better way:
Go to: My Documents\My Games\Sid Meiers Civilization 5\ and open usersettings.ini in Notepad. Find SkipIntroVideo = 0. Change it to 1 and voila.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Brewster's Wallet said:
I suppose one small silver lining that UK Gaffers won't be able to access it until Friday is that hopefully the first day of crap gets resolved before we are allowed in

The real silver lining for everyone else is no dirty chavs stinking up the joint til Friday :) Are supermarkets still in the game? We'll need somewhere to loiter about and intimidate those more fortunate than ourselves.

Jasconius

Ahhhhhh I can't believe it's finally here. So far so good, just playing an easy game as the Babylonians. Really tempted to call in to work today, I know it's gonna be a crappy day anyway....

I really like the interface so far, and I've caught myself trying to move my units diagonally to explore the most area twice now, it's so ingrained into me!

WillyFive

I am not liking this demo.

It's full of bugs. I skip the opening video, but the game crashes later because the video is still going on behind the scenes!

What's more, the performance is terrible. The video chugs along at a frame per every 2 seconds, the loading times are horrendous, and I have to play in Strategic Mode to get anything done.

And that should not be happening since I can play Portal at full settings at 60 fps (at SD resolution).

I'm going to download the Civ 4 demo to see if I should choose that one instead (my last game was Civ 3).

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Eurogamer - 8/10:

At its absolute smartest (what the game calls its 'normal' difficulty setting, before the AI starts receiving stat bonuses) the AI still makes inexplicable demands from you. It will refuse your demands, even if you've got an apocalyptic horde parked outside its borders. It will go to war with you, dash a dozen armies against your defences, then offer you everything it's got for a peace settlement. These aren't opponents that make for fond memories. Civ V is occasionally capable of clashes between equally-matched nations, but they're unforgivably rare. If you want respectable competition, you need to head online.

This is the reason I spent that week actively wrestling with my burning desire to click on the Civ V icon, despite it being such an astoundingly slick, engaging game. For all the hours it eats up, outside of its multiplayer it gives disappointingly little back, and it will continue to give very little back until Firaxis bites the bullet and admits that there are aspects of Civilization which deserve not just to be improved, but fixed.

Kotaku
It's a real shame that there's already a game called Civilization Revolution, because while that console title was a brave attempt at something a little different for the franchise, it's this game that really, well, revolutionises the series.

With so many changes, tweaks, cuts and additions, it could all have gone so horribly wrong. Make too many changes and you infuriate one of the largest and most devout fanbases in all of gaming. Make too few changes and you risk releasing a game that's accused of being stale. Frumpy. Old-fashioned.

But it didn't, and we're thankfully left with a game that keeps the spirit of Civilization alive with one hand, while with the other, it casts aside twenty years of mechanical dead weight in favour of a faster, cleaner and more enjoyable game.

Willy105 said:

It's full of bugs. I skip the opening video, but the game crashes later because the video is still going on behind the scenes!

What's more, the performance is terrible. The video chugs along at a frame per every 2 seconds, the loading times are horrendous, and I have to play in Strategic Mode to get anything done.

And that should not be happening since I can play Portal at full settings at 60 fps (at SD resolution).

I'm going to download the Civ 4 demo to see if I should choose that one instead (my last game was Civ 3).
What are your system specs? When's the last time you updated your video drivers? Are you playing in DX9 or DX10/11?

pix

Willy105 said:

Umm... you know how old the source engine is compared to Civ 5?...

Post your system specs.

Rad-

Any impressions on how aggressive the AI is? Can you concentrate on playing as a small nation or does some a-hole
Montezuma
attack you when he sees your army/nation is not the most powerful?

Willy105 said:
Just to get this out there, Portal was not a very demanding game at all. That's not to say that you're rig shouldn't be able to play Civ V (as I have no idea what you're specs are and am not the most technically knowledgeable about PC hardware anyway), but saying "I can play Portal -- a game that wasn't technically impressive when it came out three years ago -- I should be able to play a game that came out today" doesn't really hold water.

Jasconius

Scouts can attack now! :O

A barbarian unit attacked me and after 3 turns of battle mine barely survived and I was able to sack their encampment. ^_^

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
At its absolute smartest (what the game calls its 'normal' difficulty setting, before the AI starts receiving stat bonuses) the AI still makes inexplicable demands from you. It will refuse your demands, even if you've got an apocalyptic horde parked outside its borders.
So conditioned to this from Civ IV already. :lol

Still going to learn through a handful of single-player games then head online as soon as practicable. Someone should make an online thread + Steam group probably so people can find matches.

WillyFive

pix said:
Umm... you know how old the source engine is compared to Civ 5?...

Post your system specs.

1.6 GHz AMD Anthlon 64 processor TF-20, ATI Radeon HD3200, 3 GB Memory

Steve Youngblood said:
Just to get this out there, Portal was not a very demanding game at all. That's not to say that you're rig shouldn't be able to play Civ V (as I have no idea what you're specs are and am not the most technically knowledgeable about PC hardware anyway), but saying "I can play Portal -- a game that wasn't technically impressive when it came out three years ago -- I should be able to play a game that came out today" doesn't really hold water.

Alright. I could never get used to the speed at which specs for games increased.

pix

Willy105 said:

Alright. I could never get used to the speed at which specs for games increased.

Not being mean, but is this a troll post? I'd say you are under the minimum specs and I don't even know what they are...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Willy105 said:
yeah welcome to pc gaming. one year a rig is the hottest shit out there and then ten years later....

TheExodu5

Banned
Willy105 said:

Yeah that hardware is just not going to cut it. Keep in kind Portal runs on a 6 year old engine.

Also, keep in mind your rig is the equivalent of a 7 year old gaming PC at best.

Bossman

If you have performance problems, just use the Directx 9 mode. It runs so much better and looks pretty good as well. I doubled my framerate with it.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Willy105 said:

Jesus christ. I'm not even sure Civ IV would run that well on your rig.

Cday

Banned
Yeah the AI are absolute dicks when it comes to trading. I have 3 excess silk that I can't do anything with because they think it's inconceivable to trade 1 silk for 1 cotton or wine. When I ask them what would make it work they ask for 3 luxury resources for 1 lousy ass cotton. Fuck that.

Minsc

Gold Member
AstroLad said:
So conditioned to this from Civ IV already. :lol

Still going to learn through a handful of single-player games then head online as soon as practicable. Someone should make an online thread + Steam group probably so people can find matches.

Do people finish Civ games online? I'm guessing you play at your leisure turn by turn like Carcassonne? Must take months!

Sblargh

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
first Civ game. omfg so much to process in my head.

all the info bubbles are giving me a headache.

More than forcefielding marauders while macroing? :D
You'll be great at this game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Minsc said:
Do people finish Civ games online? I'm guessing you play at your leisure turn by turn like Carcassonne? Must take months!
The way I've done it is you play a few hours, save, then come back and play a few more. Usually takes 2-3 sessions for 2P, I'm sure longer for more, but you can also just set a faster speed. Never played with randoms. I don't imagine that would be particularly fun though.

XiaNaphryz

Minsc said:
That's if you play via Pitboss or PBEM, which will be patched in later (the playing for months thing). At release we only have standard online options, so you have to be connected the whole time. So you'd either need to have a lot of free time or cap the turns if you want to play through in one session. Otherwise, save and resume at a later time.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
XiaNaphryz said:
That's if you play via Pitboss or PBEM, which will be patched in later. At release we only have standard online options, so you have to be connected the whole time. So you'd either need to have a lot of free time or cap the turns if you want to play through in one session. Otherwise, save and resume at a later time.
The way I do it is just play a few hours on a Saturday afternoon. Maybe a few hours on Sunday. Then finish up the next weekend. Really not that tough and I'd rather be spending those hours playing with friends & family if I'd be playing AI anyway. No idea how any of the other modes work as I've never done them.

XiaNaphryz

AstroLad said:
No idea how any of the other modes work as I've never done them.
Here's how Pitboss worked for Civ IV:
The Pit Boss persistent turn-based server will allow for players to play as long as they like and leave when they like without disrupting the game. Players can also fill in for AI players and join when they like (so it is possible to jump in right in the middle of a game and take an AI's role). The server will download the current game state, then a player takes their turn and the server afterwards saves for the next player. It is like playing a streamlined version of play by e-mail or hot seat multiplayer.

traveler

Not Wario
Baba Yetu really should have stuck around. It's so good I would have loved for it to act as a theme of sorts for the franchise from here on out.

a little concerned about the AI, multiple reviews are criticizing the aggressiveness and senselessness of it, but Rock Paper Shotgun is the only review I've read that can be construed as negative. Still can't wait to get home and sink in!

daoster

I....I....I.....gave in...and just bought this game...

Not familiar with Steamworks...does this mean that I can redownload the game down the line if I happen to lose the disc? Starcraft 2 and CivV are like the first discs for PCs that I've bought in a looooong time.

Instro

MrCompletely said:
a little concerned about the AI, multiple reviews are criticizing the aggressiveness and senselessness of it, but Rock Paper Shotgun is the only review I've read that can be construed as negative. Still can't wait to get home and sink in!

I cant imagine the AI is much more aggressive than they were in Civ 4. Anyway Im getting bored waiting for the game to arrive, I guess Ill play the demo a bit.

markao

I thought the demo would make the few days wait easier, not.....just want the game even more :D

You lucky bastards on the other side of the pond, me so jealous.

I'm about 125 turns in as Gandhi. Got Bismark on my continent, as well as 4 city states. No one else. Just got my first ship sailing looking for other landmasses.

Top Bottom