• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

Willy105 said:
I just have the vanilla Home Premium version. No dice for me.

Guess I'll stick with Civ 3!
First of all, Civ IV works fine with Windows 7. Second of all, having "vanilla Home Premium" doesn't prevent you from attempting a compatibility mode.

zoku88 said:
My fog of war is totally just black XD

The game runs pretty well otherwise, on my POS laptop. Low settings, though. But it's civ, who cares? lol

I'm shocked I can run it at medium with some slow down, but it's CIV, and the turns load nice and quickly.

I do love Charles Napier as an actor (and as DUKE PHILLIPS), but I do miss Leonard Nimoy. Interesting thing, the
Advanced Ballistics
entry is different from the voice over quote.

I am seriously addicted and only stopping since I have to go to an interview in a little while.

The game feels just as complex as before, but far more accessible.

This sums it up for me the best!
91bab4af-1b95-4347-b533-8a663e27e8cd.jpg

pix

Willy105 said:
Civ IV doesn't work for me either. Not compatible with Windows 7.

Sucks.

Willy... quit failing man! :lol

Civ IV works fine on Windows 7. Been playing it off and on for the past week.

Instro

daoster said:
I....I....I.....gave in...and just bought this game...

Not familiar with Steamworks...does this mean that I can redownload the game down the line if I happen to lose the disc? Starcraft 2 and CivV are like the first discs for PCs that I've bought in a looooong time.

Yeah Steam makes the disc unnecessary, it will be tied to your steam account and be available for download at any time. Plus all extra niceties are delivered through Steam like updates and achievements.

Seth C

Spire said:
Jesus christ. I'm not even sure Civ IV would run that well on your rig.

I can say with certainty that it would not. I run it on an Athlon 64 X2 clocked much higher, with 4GB of RAM, and it still gets really slow late game.

Shambles

I've gotten by running Civ 4 on a P4 with a half a gig of ram. It's not pretty but it works. You just give the P4 machine to the most efficient player so everyones turns end at about the same time. :lol

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
daoster said:
Not familiar with Steamworks...does this mean that I can redownload the game down the line if I happen to lose the disc? Starcraft 2 and CivV are like the first discs for PCs that I've bought in a looooong time.

Yes, you can download the game again should the unexpected happen. With Steam Cloud, it'll also store up to 10 of your save games online. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on the number.

WillyFive

pix said:
Willy... quit failing man! :lol

Civ IV works fine on Windows 7. Been playing it off and on for the past week.

Alright, I'll play.

1531199-1.jpg

1531200-2.jpg

Tried it in Compatibility Mode with Windows XP Service Pack 2 and 3. I cannot use the 'Virtual XP' thing, due to being Home Premium, which is what I thought you meant due to a previous experience with X-Wing.

Can anyone help?

Seth C

Shambles said:
I've gotten by running Civ 4 on a P4 with a half a gig of ram. It's not pretty but it works. You just give the P4 machine to the most efficient player so everyones turns end at about the same time. :lol

Well sure it will run, but I couldn't imagine it would still be playable on a huge map, late game, with tanks everywhere in dozens of workers darting around.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Willy105 said:
Must be the demo then.

I've played Civ 4 (Beyond the Sword) for about 20 hours in total, zero problems on Win 7 x64. Demos are going to be based on seriously old builds, they never get updated.

Is the ground texture really bad like Civ4 quality? Was expecting a bit more detail... Everything on high 5850 with latest drivers
Using DX 10-11 option

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I'm 350 turns in and to show my brother the game I attacked the Arabs for fun, they took 3 cities which were egypts originally then wanted peace

Then gave them a sweet deal to stop attacking a city state and they agreed

Up until that point I was only in one war which the Arabs asked me to with them (egyptions)

Thhey don't seem too aggressive but their army certainly was powerful

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Tried the CanYouRunIt website.

I pass on every ground in Recommended, except CPU. Oddly enough, it says I don't pass on CPU even in Minimum requirements, even though I have a much faster CPU than what is listed. I have an Intel Core2 Duo @3.06 Ghz. For some reason the website thinks 3.06Ghz is lower than 1.8Ghz.

So, it seems I should upgrade my CPU... eventually. Maybe for FFXIV. I'm downloading the demo now, so I'll see how it goes.

Sblargh

Banned
Maybe the problem some reviewers are having are a mix of aggresive civs with somehow appearing either too weak or too powerful and thus making the A.I attack a logical choice from their point of view.

Jasconius

I really miss the game telling you which civilization land belongs to if you mouse over it. Is there an option somewhere to turn that back on? So many colors with all the city-states makes it really confusing to see which color border is which...

Getting demolished in the wonder race, makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong in the early game.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Guardian Bob said:
Anyone know how I get the soundtrack from steam? Never got a Steam game with a soundtrack before.

Just checked my pre-load and it's in:

Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\DLC\DLC_Deluxe\Soundtrack

Palmer_v1

Been playing for a bit, and I'm really liking the city states. I started on an island with two, and I've allied with one and befriended the other. They each asked me to wipe out a different City State, so after researching to get embarkation, I paddled my ass around until i found them. One was an ally of an AI player, but I attacked anyway, and was able to take it, though I just made it a puppet state rather than annex it completely. We'll see how that turns out. The other CS I have been unable to find., but I did run into several others. One of them was begging for help because Rome was attacking it, so I jumped into the area with some Triremes and started raining arrows on Rome's melee troops until he gave it up.

Essentially, the City States are providing a better focus for conflict than Civ used to have, IMO.

I'm now running into weird diplomacy stuff right now. England wanted me to join them in a pact of cooperation, than asked that I flat out go to war against another person with them. i agreed to both. Shortly after, the Native Americans asked me to join a pact of secrecy against England, which I also accepted. I have no idea what these damn pacts actually do, so I jumped out of the game to find the manual, and/or to ask here.

Edit: The manual only mentions Defensive Pacts, which are clearly explained, and "offensive pacts" which are only mentioned in passing. Secrecy and cooperation pacts are not mentioned at all.

Extra Edit: Another good thing about City States is they're a good place to dump your old crappy units if you don't feel like upgrading them. You can simply gift them to a CS for some renown/favor/whatever

Sblargh

Banned
Palmer_v1 said:
Been playing for a bit, and I'm really liking the city states. I started on an island with two, and I've allied with one and befriended the other. They each asked me to wipe out a different City State, so after researching to get embarkation, I paddled my ass around until i found them. One was an ally of an AI player, but I attacked anyway, and was able to take it, though I just made it a puppet state rather than annex it completely. We'll see how that turns out. The other CS I have been unable to find., but I did run into several others. One of them was begging for help because Rome was attacking it, so I jumped into the area with some Triremes and started raining arrows on Rome's melee troops until he gave it up.

Essentially, the City States are providing a better focus for conflict than Civ used to have, IMO.

I'm now running into wqeird diplomacy stuff right now. England wanted me to join them in a pact of cooperation, than asked that I flat out go to war against another person with them. i agreed to both. Shortly after, the Native Americans asked me to join a pact of secrecy against England, which I also accepted. I have no idea what these damn pacts actually do, so I jumped out of the game to find the manual, and/or to ask here.

Afaik, these pacts don't bind you to anything, they are just a communication between you and the other civ that, if the time come, you may be persuaded to attack the civ which you are forming the pact of secrecy against.

Dennis

Banned
First impressions:
Nice updated graphics and interface.
I really like the combat - its much improved.
I also like the focus on social policies that are suitable for your ambitions, conquest, small civ, rapid expansin etc. But it sure does feel like good old Civ.

Palmer_v1

Sblargh said:
Afaik, these pacts don't bind you to anything, they are just a communication between you and the other civ that, if the time come, you may be persuaded to attack the civ which you are forming the pact of secrecy against.

If they're non-binding, i'm not quite sure what the point is than. Just to add some flavor and give you a idea of how they feel towards you maybe? I guess it helped me know that the iroqois don't like the english, but the english do like me.

Edit: LOL @ my military advisor. He is telling me that I have enough units to easily wipe out several other civs, while also warning me that we are in dire need of more military units to protect our country. He sounds like a
republican
:D

Shambles

10 minutes until the demo is done downloading :D

Seth C said:
Well sure it will run, but I couldn't imagine it would still be playable on a huge map, late game, with tanks everywhere in dozens of workers darting around.

Of coursei'm not hosting LAN games on it but it is playable through completion or else I wouldn't bother mentioning it. It's amazing when the human body can endure in order to get their civ fix. I also tried putting an old ATI GPU in it but it was so old that even the onboard video on the P4 would have out performed it. I couldn't get it to work at all so I can't definitvely say that but from the reading I did trying to get the card to work it wasn't worth it.

Willy105 said:
Tried it in Compatibility Mode with Windows XP Service Pack 2 and 3. I cannot use the 'Virtual XP' thing, due to being Home Premium, which is what I thought you meant due to a previous experience with X-Wing.

Can anyone help?

Is your game patched up to 1.74?

Calantus

i really hated combat in old civ games, hopefully them getting rid of stacking helps, positioning will actually count. I still hate the fact barbarians can kill tanks, but whatever.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Palmer_v1 said:
If they're non-binding, i'm not quite sure what the point is than. Just to add some flavor and give you a idea of how they feel towards you maybe? I guess it helped me know that the iroqois don't like the english, but the english do like me.

Also let's the person asking know how much they can trust you?

Or how brave you are?

If you let people get easy agreements from you they'll abuse you and make you weak

It's all a game within a game

delirium

I hit turn 99 in the demo and now I don't want to hit End Turn. :(

I really wished I didn't missed D2D's pre-order deal with the $10 off coupon.

Palmer_v1

I got the other pacts figured out. If you are the one initiating the pact, it describes them to you. A secrecy pact is formed between two parties and targets a third person. It basically lowers their friendliness towards the target, making them more likely to take hostile actions against them.

Cooperation is the opposite, it boosts your relations with whoever you form the pact with. It amounts to one of those childish notes that say, "Do you like me? Yes/No(Circle one)"

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Anyone else having the game get incredibly choppy for no reason? My PC is more than capable of running the game with high settings but it will randomly dip to like 5fps then correct itself after awhile.

punkypine said:
there's a solution to that problem... sell your body

I tried... Believe me, I tried....

Dreams-Visions said:
Hark, I sense a fellow gamer in need.

I'll put $20 on it for you if it would help. (paypal)

pm

If only others were as nice as you, there would be no poverty among gamers.

Forkball

I played the demo, 100 turns never went so quickly.

I am extremely impressed so far. Everything seems so sleek and streamlined. Many aspects of Civ IV were confusing, but Civ V clearly explains the game mechanics and makes micromanaging more or less non existent. Compare the city screen in Civ IV to Civ V. Civ IV had a ton of stuff a lot of people never even touched, but Civ V's city screen is very basic yet gives you everything you need to know and do. I also love how they made money useful. A lot of stuff is too expensive early on, but I could easily expand the borders the way I wanted it. For example, I had two cities and wanted to connect their borders. Instead of waiting for the cities to randomly grow, hoping it would grow close enough to connect, I just bought the tiles between them and connected them in one turn instantly.

Combat is also really cool. I love how the stack of death no longer applies. You have to be strategic about where your units are and what you attack. I also like how it doesn't just compare numbers anymore, but instead gives you a text prediction like "Decisive Victory" or "Costly Attack." I also like the cities now can't be zerged early on. For example, I was attacking a city state, and fought a unit on the space behind a city, with my guys next to the city. I attack and we do equal damage. Then all of the sudden, the city hits me with boulders or something and kills my unit. Things like that will make me a lot more weary about attacking people for no reason. Although I only attacked them because another city state promised me goodies if I did.

I really thought City States would be an afterthought, but they are a huge part of the game now. Like I mentioned above, I met two city states (Budapest and Kuala Lumpur). Kuala Lumpur wanted me to take out Budapest, which I assumed would be easy, so I agreed. But when I attacked Budapest, Germany was all up in my face saying that they were friends. WTF, I had no idea. City States aren't just targets to take over, they are indeed a vital part of diplomacy.

Wow, I typed a lot for just 100 turns in a demo when I really wasn't taking anything seriously. I can tell this game is definitely going to be an experience and it takes pretty much every bad thing about Civ IV and eliminates them while adding in a lot of cool new ideas. I'm low on cash now, but I'm definitely buying this game as soon as I can.

And on a side note, can barbarians just spring out of nowhere? There was this small peninsula next to my city that I explored, and nothing was there so I moved out. Then several turns later, some barbarians from that direction started to edge closer to my city. They had to have just appeared out of thin air. I guess they could have been in a boat and come over, but I don't even know if barbarians can do that.

Dennis

Banned
FUUUUUUUUUU....

Did they take out the ability to name your units, or is it just me?

Goddamn, naming your units is very helpful when you got upgraded units that have specialized.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Solstice said:
If only others were as nice as you, there would be no poverty among gamers.
Don't forget the Kmart deal where you get a $20 gaming coupon for buying Civ there.

XiaNaphryz said:
Don't forget the Kmart deal where you get a $20 gaming coupon for buying Civ there.

Does that have to be in store? Because I'm not seeing it on their website, and Kmart got run out of Houston long ago.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Solstice said:
Does that have to be in store? Because I'm not seeing it on their website, and Kmart got run out of Houston long ago.
I think it's in-store only, it was in their weekly flyer.

LugNut74

delirium said:
I hit turn 99 in the demo and now I don't want to hit End Turn. :(

I really wished I didn't missed D2D's pre-order deal with the $10 off coupon.

I feel ya. I've played the demo 2 times now and I did not want to take the last turn the 2nd time through at all. I want this game so bad but just can't afford it right now. Oh well back to Civ IV it looks like for a bit.

LugNut74 said:
I feel ya. I've played the demo 2 times now and I did not want to take the last turn the 2nd time through at all. I want this game so bad but just can't afford it right now. Oh well back to Civ IV it looks like for a bit.

I'm with you in the Civ IV crowd. Many thanks to those who offered to donate, but I'm gonna try to man it up and just wait for next month on this one.

sdornan

As far as the complaints about the AI go, is there a chance that stuff will get addressed in future updates? Were there many improvements to the AI through patches to previous versions of Civ?

dream

sdornan said:
As far as the complaints about the AI go, is there a chance that stuff will get addressed in future updates? Were there many improvements to the AI through patches to previous versions of Civ?

Not really. The modding community ended up fixing the AI.

Max

I am not Max
I'm reinstalling Civ IV on Steam, I have the whole collection so I was wondering if I need to install anything other than Beyond the Sword to get the whole experience

Top Bottom