• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Guardian Bob said:
Anyone know how I get the soundtrack from steam? Never got a Steam game with a soundtrack before.

For Mass Effect 2, it was downloaded automatically into:

Steam\steamapps\common\mass effect 2\Bonus\Soundtrack

I assume Civ 5 will do something similar.

xbhaskarx

Aaron said:
Pretty sure they don't own the rights to the name, so pretty implausible yeah.

Damn.

Well whoever owns the rights to Alpha Centauri needs to hurry up and make another Alpha Centauri.

ThatGuy

Guys, im not an RTS kinda guy, especially a turn based RTS but damn if this game doesn't have me wanting to try, any suggestions? Should i buy CIV IV first and see how i like it or should i just plunk down the 50 bux? Is CIV IV harder to player than 5 will be?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
EvilDick34 said:
Guys, im not an RTS kinda guy, especially a turn based RTS

2rrtb4o.jpg

Brashnir

EvilDick34 said:
Guys, im not an RTS kinda guy, especially a turn based RTS but damn if this game doesn't have me wanting to try, any suggestions? Should i buy CIV IV first and see how i like it or should i just plunk down the 50 bux? Is CIV IV harder to player than 5 will be?

:lol at the bolded.

As for your actual question, I don't know if 4 will be easier or harder to play than 5. If you want easier to play, you could try out Civ Revolution on consoles. It maintains the core concepts, but it definitely less complex.

Civ 4 Can be had really cheap on Steam from time to time, so you may want to wait for a sale.

Aaron

There's no such thing as a turn-based RTS. Same as saying third person FPS.

The MAJOR change in Civ V is in the combat, so if that's what you're into, Civ 4 isn't going to leave you with the right impression. They're night and day in this regard.

Aaron said:
There's no such thing as a turn-based RTS. Same as saying third person FPS.

The MAJOR change in Civ V is in the combat, so if that's what you're into, Civ 4 isn't going to leave you with the right impression. They're night and day in this regard.

I see, so..again i'm a noob to anything like this kind of game outside of Majesty, etc., so if you guys could be not so harsh or what not, it would be nice. Why am i reading stuff that calls it turn based RTS or whatever. If it is not that, then what?

Shambles

EvilDick34 said:
I see, so..again i'm a noob to anything like this kind of game outside of Majesty, etc., so if you guys could be not so harsh or what not, it would be nice. Why am i reading stuff that calls it turn based RTS or whatever. If it is not that, then what?

TBS = Civ 4
RTS = Starcraft

Welcome to the school of the real world.

Shambles said:
TBS = Civ 4
RTS = Starcraft

Welcome to the school of the real world.

Again, what is with the cheap shots? I come in wanting to get into this and you guys make me not want to try after all, seriously...it is a game, R E L A X.

Brashnir

EvilDick34 said:

Here's a little bit of free advice, for GAF, the internet, and your entire life.

When you say something incorrect - and then someone corrects you - They are not being harsh. They are helping you.

Acting like people are somehow jerks because they know what they're talking about makes you look like a petulant little shit.

Vagabundo

EvilDick34 said:

No shame in being a noob.

Anyway there will be a demo released today on steam, I believe. I suggest downloading it and giving it a try.

It sounds like the game will be more streamlined than civ4 and is missing some of the more annoying micromanagement.

Lach

Brashnir said:
Here's a little bit of free advice, for GAF, the internet, and your entire life.

When you say something incorrect - and then someone corrects you - They are not being harsh. They are helping you.

Acting like people are somehow jerks because they know what they're talking about makes you look like a petulant little shit.

This. But one could still try to answer the questions asked.

My advise would be: If you have a Console/Handeld try Civ: Revolution. It's quite accessible and a lot of fun. If not I would rather go with Civ5 than Civ4 because it seems to be more accessible (they said the learned a lot from Revolution). But that's just my opinion.

[edit] Yes, try the demo of course...

Burger

EvilDick34 said:
Again, what is with the cheap shots? I come in wanting to get into this and you guys make me not want to try after all, seriously...it is a game, R E L A X.

Nobody is being jerks, they are having a bit of fun.

fanboi

Banned
Ok it have started. The Civ disease. I watched the 13 min dev commentary in the op, and when I thought I had watched like 3 min, it was 30 sec left... :lol

No45

EvilDick34 said:
Check out some of the GB videos: http://www.giantbomb.com/sid-meiers-civilization-v/61-30057/ (Both the history of Civ and the 13 minutes of Civ V videos give a good idea of what to expect I think).

I've never played a game like this, but they don't look too bad (Helped of course that you have all the time in the world to take your turn... in single player at least). Tempted to try this myself.

Brashnir

No45 said:
Check out some of the GB videos: http://www.giantbomb.com/sid-meiers-civilization-v/61-30057/.

I've never played a game like this, but they don't look too bad (Helped of course that you have all the time in the world to take your turn... in single player at least). Tempted to try this myself.

As the game goes on, each turn becomes longer and longer with more stuff to do, so yes, it's good that you have as much time as you need to get it done.

However, when you first start a new game of civ, you start off with just a very limited number of things you can do, and the more in-depth stuff sort of evolves naturally as you build more units, cities, and improvements. Since you placed all that stuff there yourself, it's a lot easier to keep track of things than it appears watching a video of someone else playing.

Hari Seldon

EvilDick34 said:

I would try it. Civ is one of the most elite gaming franchises of all time, every credible "top games of all time" list includes one version of Civ. If you call yourself a gamer, you owe it to yourself to try Civ. Civ is a master class in game design.

As far as Civ IV vs Civ V, well I haven't played Civ V yet, however all indications from the reviews and videos are that Civ V is more newbie friendly. Civ IV is, of course, the best version of Civ ever released (esp with the expansions), but that is probably until today only. When you buy Civ, you are not buying a game that you will get bored with in less than 40 hours. It is well worth the money, even at full price.

xbhaskarx

EvilDick34 said:
Guys, im not an RTS kinda guy, especially a turn based RTS

:lol

Sinatar said:

:lol :lol :lol
I can't believe I recognize this gif, one of two episodes of Intervention I have ever watched.

EvilDick34 said:

1. Don't be so defensive.
2. Not wanting to try a game because some random strangers on the internet who have no connection to the game laughed at your humorous mistake is a bit silly.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
EvilDick34 said:

Try the Civ V demo, should be out later today :)

There's also a good beginners guide for Civ IV here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=165632

It would give you a good feel for what Civ is about, even if there are some major differences in combat etc between IV and V. I need to read that PDF myself, too busy hitting Enter to End Turn and trying to take over the world. Wiped out my first enemy civ last night, fuck yeah. Suck it Suryavarman II.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
xbhaskarx said:
1. Don't be so defensive.
2. Not wanting to try a game because some random strangers on the internet who have no connection to the game laughed at your humorous mistake is a bit silly.
the guy has been nothing but reasonable, stop being a dick

xbhaskarx

Rez said:
the guy has been nothing but reasonable, stop being a dick

How is "you guys make me not want to try after all" a "nothing but reasonable" reaction to half a dozen random people on the internet who almost certainly have no involvement with the development of Civ V?

pix

I will have 30 minutes to try this game out when im on lunch. :(

Then I have to wait until after work.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
pix said:
I will have 30 minutes to try this game out when im on lunch. :(

Then I have to wait until after work.

You will be late coming back from lunch.

ONE.MORE.TURN

MjFrancis

The Ars Technica review is finally up:

Statecraft as entertainment: Ars reviews Civilization V

The Good

• The revamped interface allows both new and old players to spend less time figuring out how to manage their empire and more time getting stuff done
  • Fewer, more robust units make per-turn unit management quicker
  • The changes implemented in the combat system present interesting new challenges and advantages to both offense and defense
  • City-states are a great addition to the game in terms of resources, combat, and diplomacy. For Civ4 vets, they are vassals writ large
  • The graphics are very pretty and not terribly demanding on the system; the settings have a good deal of flexibility
  • The "quests" lend some micro-structure to the game, something to do between wars or when no one likes you enough to trade
  • I have not yet seen them, but I've heard that in the modern era you can build Tiny Death Robots
  • It's still addictive as hell, and sweeps you into the action immediately, every time, without overwhelming you

The Bad

• The AI has been reworked, but diplomatic relations with them occasionally have an overtone of "if you don't know what's wrong, I'm not going to tell you"
  • Some parts are a little goofy. I had no problem with the lists when they were "The Happiest Civilizations," as opposed to now, where it's "People that Smile the Most"
  • Social policies and culture are almost forgettable if you're more into domination/conquest/diplomatic victories
  • No technology trading, which was marginally more realistic than a "research agreement," at least in the BC years, and less expensive
  • Alerts can stack up and it can be tiresome to dismiss a huge pile of them just make sure you've dealt with them all

The Ugly

• Hardcore fans may not agree with some of the editing choices made in the streamlining of the game, and may feel that victory doesn't require exactly the same grueling tenacity
  • The purchasing aspects of the game (units, buildings, tiles, influence, research agreements) may come to feel like or be perceived as cheesy strategy, especially in multiplayer games, since you mostly just have to know how to generate money

Verdict: Buy

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So it's past 9 AM, is anyone playing yet? I'm stuck at work until 4:30. :(

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
9-11 Class cancelled.

Surely this is a sign from the Civ gods.

Top Bottom