• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

Hari Seldon

Max said:
I'm reinstalling Civ IV on Steam, I have the whole collection so I was wondering if I need to install anything other than Beyond the Sword to get the whole experience

Yeah I think you just need BTS unless you want to play some of the specific scenarios/mods that came with the expansions.

Game is working fine for me(then again I built this computer for this game...it better work). . Did the tutorial and won as the Iroquois...only one other civ(Rome). Don't know what difficulty that was on but it was pretty damn easy. Never lost a unit. As the barbs keep spawning and spawning I think the Germans would be a good pick as they get extra gold from them. Chariot Archers are deadly and you don't even need archery for them... :lol
edit-difficulty was settler...got the achievement. Gonna bump it up a couple of notches on the biggest map they got.

leroidys

I dun fucked up. I told myself I was going to be strong and there was no way I could buy this for that price. I made the mistake of downloaded the demo and feeding my addiction. The game is now being downloaded from steam for full price, and I didn't even get the preorder bonus. :lol

FFFFFFFFFuuuuuuuuuu

DJ_Tet

Banned
Should have at least grabbed it at K-Mart and got the $20 game coupon. I almost got it from Direct2Drive for the free DLC but decided that I still wanted a physical release and the $20 coupon that I could use on another 360 game or something was a better bonus.

Game runs fine on my rig so far, but there was one strange 'hiccup' but I think that might have been from an email or IM.

Wow that demo was lot of fun (and ran like shit on my laptop!) now I only need to decide wheter I should buy the SE now (need some impressions on that artbook) or wait for a steam sale in 4 more years :lol

delirium

I'm debating waiting for a Steam sale down the line to get the Digital Deluxe edition (with Babylon) or buying it from K-mart with a $20 GC. I'm still mad I didn't get in on the D2D preorder with free DLC.

WillyFive

Finished the demo!

Now that I figured how to play the game with my computer, this game is awesome! The attention to detail is outstanding.

BomberMouse said:
Wow that demo was lot of fun (and ran like shit on my laptop!) now I only need to decide wheter I should buy the SE now (need some impressions on that artbook) or wait for a steam sale in 4 more years :lol

Agreed.

Sblargh

Banned
The demo was great. This civ is all kinds of awesome, can't wait until it unlocks in my humble third world country.
This sunuvabitch seems more time-consuming than Civ4, just because of all the units you are controlling. But then again, I lost track of how much longer stuff seems to take to build, so I gone overboard on units.
Like, yeah, you really do need far less units on this game, playing it like you play civ 4 just nets you a whole fucking lot of units on cities with almost no buildings in it.
-
Urgh, the demo appear to not generate a random map, I could be wrong and just having a very similar game though... :lol
Also something I did not like, this is really nitpicking, but the mini-map looks ugly for some reason.

Error1355

I went to GameStop today to pick it up for my younger brother... but after reading this thread more I don't think I can wait any longer and gonna pick up a copy myself. I'm a huge Civ IV guy... I just built a brand new gaming rig (my first homemade PC tbh =P) and this will be a good game to really see what my new machine can do. :D

cluto

DennisK4 said:
FUUUUUUUUUU....

Did they take out the ability to name your units, or is it just me?

Goddamn, naming your units is very helpful when you got upgraded units that have specialized.
I barely know anything about this game, but I do know that you can rename units. When a unit gets promoted you're given the option to rename it.

leroidys

DJ_Tet said:
Should have at least grabbed it at K-Mart and got the $20 game coupon. I almost got it from Direct2Drive for the free DLC but decided that I still wanted a physical release and the $20 coupon that I could use on another 360 game or something was a better bonus.

Game runs fine on my rig so far, but there was one strange 'hiccup' but I think that might have been from an email or IM.

Yeah I know, I really wanted to get Babylon though :/. Also, I don't really want any games coming out this fall.

Shambles

Played the demo. The pace definitely seems a lot slower. Playing the demo felt like playing Civ4 on marathon. It's too bad you can't play quick on the demo. It also could be how it handles the UI just makes it seem more drawn out. I can't make too many opinions after playing it once.

The UI although is simpler, also seems dumbed down. I understand that T2 is trying to reach new audiences but as an old Civ player it became frustrating at times. There are changes to streamline things, and then there are changes just for the sake of changes to make it look different from the past.

I love how the combat has been reduced to more managable levels. I'll have to play the demo a few more times to get a better feel for the game.

Wag

This game is fucking awesome! I generally dislike games of this type (with the exception of X-Com) so I'll be picking this one up for sure during a sale. Also it locked up on me, so they obviously have some stability issues to work out.

Can you rotate the map?

Toby

ismaboof said:
My computer can run the demo fine but I don't know if I want to buy it. School is kicking my ass as it is....
I'm in the same situation. I know how consuming it will be from playing 4, and I really can't spend that time playing it.
Still downloading the demo though.

dwebo

Downloaded the demo at 200kb/s :(. Had to restart since there wasn't any sound for some reason, and the intro video kept freezing.

DX9 version runs a lot better than DX10 for me. The difference is much more drastic than any other PC game I can remember. Like, every setting on low/off on DX10 chugs whereas I can put everything on high in DX9 and it's playable. Also, DX9 campaign loads in about half the time. 8600m GT, 2ghz C2D, 4gb ram, win 7

Played demo for a few minutes - talk about information overload! Everything felt like it was in a different place vs Civ4, so many new icons, actual talking advisors, etc. etc. I don't remember the jump from 3 to 4 being so jarring, but that was awhile ago of course. Will play more later tonight when I have more time. Looked good though!

edit: also, the narrator sounded like some cross of Liam Neeson and Ken Watanabe. I was missing Nimoy already

Dennis

Banned
cluto said:
I barely know anything about this game, but I do know that you can rename units. When a unit gets promoted you're given the option to rename it.
I see, its just me then. In Civ IV you could rename any time. Great news, though.

"Legio XII Lupus", I dub thee.

dream

dwebo said:
Played demo for a few minutes - talk about information overload! Everything felt like it was in a different place vs Civ4, so many new icons, actual talking advisors, etc. etc. I don't remember the jump from 3 to 4 being so jarring, but that was awhile ago of course. Will play more later tonight when I have more time. Looked good though!

Yeah, I'm with you on that. It feels like everything is out of place. It's kind of strange researching theology and not founding Christianity.

Seth C

Well I've been playing the demo and so far I have to say I've never experienced a more boring first 100 turns of Civ. Hopefully it grows on me because right now the pacing just feels slow and the fun early game research is gone but replaced with, well, waiting. I don't know. We'll see.

gillty

Banned
Zerokku said:
So after reading a bit I'm a bit worried on how well this will run on my comp since it seems some people are having problems.

2.3 Core i5 (Dual Core)
Nvidia GTS 360M
4 GB Ram (DDR3)
Your CPU and GPU are both modern and more than adequate for the game, like any game that needs to crunch tonnes of moves you may see a slow down between turns in the modern era. A good chunk of people I see having problems are pretty far below requirements.

epmode

I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this question but I haven't played a Civ game in ages:

Is it possible to cancel production of a unit or building? I accidentally started production of a scout but I wasn't able to stop the build order. It was still the same turn and everything!

edit: I suppose I always need to have SOMETHING in the queue.

ismaboof

Zerokku said:
So after reading a bit I'm a bit worried on how well this will run on my comp since it seems some people are having problems.

2.3 Core i5 (Dual Core)
Nvidia GTS 360M
4 GB Ram (DDR3)

I'm running
Core 2 duo 2.66
Radeon HD 2600 XT
2 GB Ram

and the demo ran fine at max resolution with everything on low/none and it still looked decent. You'll be fine

Minsc

Gold Member
FleckSplat said:
I tried to boot up Civ V for the first time and it says my files are fragmented. WTF.

Waiting for it to finish...

I got that too, skipped it and it loaded in like 1 second.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
FleckSplat said:
I tried to boot up Civ V for the first time and it says my files are fragmented. WTF.

Waiting for it to finish...

Steam has done this to me on the last 3 games I installed on it. Must be a new feature.

Also, there is no way my drive is fragmented, as I only have about 40 gigs full on a 1 terabyte drive. Just seems buggy.

Vagabundo

Managed to get in a few turns on the demo. Runs smooth on my PC, but I can see that the turn time will increase dramatically once the map is uncovered.

I already had some problems with the wife. I don't know if I should buy this yet. I have the money there right now!!!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
This week's new Giantbomb podcast is up and has quite a bit of Civ discussion.

Majine said:
1531351-sid_meier_s_civilization_5_thumb.jpg

It's the first meeting of the Giant Bomb Civilization V Support group as we spend a considerable amount of time discussing Sid Meier's latest, as well as more thoughts on Halo: Reach, Dead Rising 2: Case Zero, the Tokyo Game Show, and more!
mp3

Itunes

So I stumbled my way through about 150 turns on Warlord difficulty, huge map as France. So far I'm getting good vibes. I have to say it's hard to go back to the old diplomacy where you don't know exactly where you stand with your enemies. But, so far they haven't done anything peculiar. Though random maps are a toss up as far as city states are concerned. This game I had three very close to me. Made another game and only had 1 that was quite some distance away from me.

I really like the pace on normal this time. In 4 I thought things moved a little too quickly so I always played Epic game speed. Normal seems about right for now.

Will hopefully be able to put up some detailed impressions later this evening.

Zzoram

TheExodu5 said:
I have a DX10 card (GTX 275) and I can't enable AA. Seriously?

I can't believe AA is a DX11 only feature...

Ya that's pretty ridiculous. I don't care though, my HD4870 probably can't even do AA on max graphics at 1680x1050.

Minsc

Gold Member
Engine seems very light, DX11 everything maxed @ 1200p w/ 4xAA, and a solid 60fps :)

The tutorial is definitely not console-era friendly. I was expecting a little more hand-holding :lol

You get a short story, then wham! Figure it all out yourself after that. A bit more going over the UI would have been nice, but oh well, I'll figure it out quick enough.

How do you get the 3D advisers to come up? I just get 2D portraits, but that might be normal.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I know it's a bit early to judge but I really miss the Civ 4 interface. The new one feels like it adds 2 or 3 needless steps to whatever I want to get done.

Moobabe

Just dropping in to let you all know that America sucks and I'm very angry about this whole situation. I'll see you all on friday :(

TheExodu5

Banned
Ysiadmihi said:
I know it's a bit early to judge but I really miss the Civ 4 interface. The new one feels like it adds 2 or 3 needless steps to whatever I want to get done.

I only played a bit of Civ 4, but I find this interface much easier to work with.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Minsc said:
Engine seems very light, DX11 everything maxed @ 1200p w/ 4xAA, and a solid 60fps :)

The tutorial is definitely not console-era friendly. I was expecting a little more hand-holding :lol

You get a short story, then wham! Figure it all out yourself after that. A bit more going over the UI would have been nice, but oh well, I'll figure it out quick enough.

How do you get the 3D advisers to come up? I just get 2D portraits, but that might be normal.
I think the advisers were always supposed to be in 2D? It's the leaders that are 3D.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Minsc said:

What kind of system are you running?

I can't wait to get home and play the game.

dream

TheExodu5 said:
I have a DX10 card (GTX 275) and I can't enable AA. Seriously?

I can't believe AA is a DX11 only feature...

Huh, really? I've been playing on a 8800GT and the game had 2x MSAA enabled by default.

Minsc

Gold Member
Zefah said:
What kind of system are you running?

I can't wait to get home and play the game.

i7 920 + 5870, so it's not exactly surprising. It's just nice after recently playing a couple horribly optimized / demanding games (Witcher, StarCraft 2, and Metro 2033), to get something that flies again!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Minsc said:
i7 920 + 5870, so it's not exactly surprising. It's just nice after recently playing a couple horribly optimized / demanding games (Witcher, StarCraft 2, and Metro 2033), to get something that flies again!

Nice! I'm using a Core 2 Quad 6600 + 5870, so I should see similar performance.

I don't really find that StarCraft 2 runs poorly, but I agree about The Witcher, and Metro 2033 (although that is only because the 5870 kinds of sucks with DX11 effects).

TheExodu5 said:
Do units seriously have no running animation? When I move them from tile to tile, they just teleport. :|

I haven't played it yet, but in the videos I have seen, there were definitely movement animations.

colinp

Banned
Demo crashed my macbook in Win 7 bootcamp. Boo!

Makes it easier to decide whether to pick it up now or wait for the inevitable OS X release in three years, though.

Top Bottom