• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

Instro

TheExodu5 said:
Do units seriously have no running animation? When I move them from tile to tile, they just teleport. :|

Yeah they have animations, are your settings really low or something?

edit

No animations in multi huh? Interesting, probably for the best.

dream said:
Huh, really? I've been playing on a 8800GT and the game had 2x MSAA enabled by default.

Same here(same card too), not sure what they are talking about. Demo ran well, running at 30fps or higher at all times with almost all settings to high. Although I imagine it will be more taxing later on in the game so Ill probably drop back a couple settings, depending on how it goes.

Sblargh

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Do units seriously have no running animation? When I move them from tile to tile, they just teleport. :|

They definetly run from tile to tile. Must be some simple switch on the video configuration.
-
The end of the demo.
*sigh*
2 days man, get it together.
What a great game.
TheTurnBefore100.jpg

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
How the fuck do they not have hot seat as a multiplayer mode??? It can't be that hard to implement. There goes my plans for the evening....

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
PROOP said:
How the fuck do they not have hot seat as a multiplayer mode??? It can't be that hard to implement. There goes my plans for the evening....
Coming out in a later patch. Same thing happened with Civ IV, it wasn't there at release.

Shambles

Played the demo the 2nd time, got up to 325 points as the Egyptians. Liking the mechanics a bit more, like the UI a bit less. Hopefully they either patch out the clunkyness or someone comes out with a mod to fix it before whenever I end up buying it.

Macattk15

What is the reason that I cannot click on the Direct X 11 version on the small mini splash screen that plops up when running it?

I rebooted the computer too.

Pretty dumb if it won't let my HD 5870 run it in Direct X 11 mode.

Edit : I can't even turn on AA in the options menu? Wtf?

Sblargh

Banned
Only thing I don't like about the UI is that I can't see city production and that very handy unit list at the same time, so I have to click on the "city needs production" or something like that, see that the city that finished building is one that I want to build a unit next, then I have to leave that screen, see the unit list, make a very broad decision ("A ranged unit would be good") and then go back to production to decide which ranged unit I'll build.

It is a lot faster doing it than it was writing the above, but still, they could have made the unit list a icon of the right (like the diplomacy one) instead one of the left options.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know if you can install from a retail CD if you buy it on Steam? I bought the retail version and my brother is going to buy a copy from Steam so it would be cool if he could save some bandwidth by using my cd to install.

TheExodu5

Banned
About the AA, someone said:

Yeah, there's AA. (only it's wierd to get it to activate) When you start up the game, you'll have recommended settings, if you make any changes in the settings BESIDES changing AA, you'll get no AA at all. Pretty annoying... so try use what you get as recommended then just change the AA setting and it works

Novaoblivion said:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know if you can install from a retail CD if you buy it on Steam? I bought the retail version and my brother is going to buy a copy from Steam so it would be cool if he could save some bandwidth by using my cd to install.

Yeah you'll be able to.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
TheExodu5 said:

They don't have the animation in multiplayer, but everything is animated in single-player.

Spl1nter

Anyone have units magically disappear on them. First a legion and then a ballista. The ballista finished being constructed but never appeared, checked my military management screen and it wasnt listed there either :(

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Spl1nter said:
Anyone have units magically disappear on them. First a legion and then a ballista. The ballista finished being constructed but never appeared, checked my military management screen and it wasnt listed there either :(

I thought I did and then it showed up a couple turns later at the place I had told it go. I thought I was going crazy.

Macattk15

Ok I got it working in Direct X 11, Steam was running in compatibility mode with Vista.

New question.

I'm running it fullscreen but when I try to scroll to the left (the direction the other monitor is) ... it is acting as if I am playing in windowed mode and just scrolls over to the other monitor.

Totakeke

The demo is chugging horribly for me, I need some quick upgrades to my computer. ;/

I'm currently using C2D E6400, 2GB DDR2, and 8600GT.

Would something like C2Q Q9450, 4GB DDR2, and GTX260 be good enough to run everything above medium settings at 1920x1080 for this game? Or should I get something else for those? I want to keep the same motherboard so I don't have to reinstall windows again for now. I don't want to be mired in several minutes wait time each end turn later in the game either if that's still a big problem.

SlickVic

Zerokku said:
Seeing as how its a steamworks game, probably.

Oh, I thought the demo might be separate from all the steamworks stuff (thought that was just being used to thwart piracy on the full release). Steam is blocked in my campus so I was just hoping there was another way to download it. Oh well.

Played on the biggest map with the rec. civs and city states....way too big. Ginormous. Went down to a standard map and added in more civs and that was about right.

There are too many mountains in this game as well. Can't believe it is already 7pm...holy shit.

Spl1nter said:

This happened to me. I moved a warrior to the city and it disappeared for 3 turns or so. I also got a graphics error of memory burn of units and a marble spot...but after 10 or so turns it disappeared as well.

Cday

Banned
I was right about being able to bring back defeated Civs by liberating one of their cities. It doesn't have to be their original capital either.

Totakeke said:
The demo is chugging horribly for me, I need some quick upgrades to my computer. ;/

Would something like C2Q Q9450, 4GB DDR2, and GTX260 be good enough to run everything above medium settings at 1920x1080 for this game? Or should I get something else for those? I want to keep the same motherboard so I don't have to reinstall windows again for now. I don't want to be mired in several minutes wait time each end turn later in the game either if that's still a big problem.

You could max it out with that. I'm maxing it out at 1680x1050 with C2D E8500, 4GB DDR3 and 4850 1gb. Moving around the map is smoother than it was in Civ IV with the same system.

This is the first PC game I've purchased in two years, and only the second PC game I've purchased in the last 6 years. I load it up, start the tutorial, and the game freezes. I try again, get a little bit further, and the game freezes again. I just stare at the screen and sigh.

And then, I'm instantly reminded why I don't play PC games.

epmode

It's funny how that shit always happens to people who never buy PC games, yet I almost never have crashing issues and I buy tons of games.

It's probably your video drivers. Most people who run into that stuff haven't update in years.

epmode said:
It's funny how that shit always happens to people who never buy PC games, yet I almost never have crashing issues and I buy tons of games.

It's probably your video drivers. Most people who run into that stuff haven't update in years.
just updating to 10.9 so no.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
God... My computer could MAYBE run it.. I want to push it so badly..

So I can't play this without steam, huh. I forgot my password and I'm not even sure what is going on with the secret question. I was just going to forget about the account really.

Now I have Civ V and it wants me to login to steam to play. I messaged support with my CD key to recover my account, but I kind of just want to play it. Does anyone know how long it take to recover a Steam ID? Should I just make a new account?

Cromat

My laptop can run the game but it chugs even on the lowest settings and resolution. The laptop itself is pretty good but it has crappy Intel integrated graphics.

I spent about 30 mins playing the demo, most of them in Strategic View which is 2D and crappy, but it was still fun because it's Civ. Should I buy this game and play in Strategic View at all times?

zoku88

6 hours. Finished by first game (last time I play normal speed and Chieftan, too fast and too easy. Marathon from now on!)

Wow, my computer chugged late game. Was playing mainly in strategic mode once about every tile had an improvement.

dwebo

Totakeke said:

Did you try DX9? That ran much better for me on a similar setup.

Played the demo some more... Not sure I understand the whole city-states thing very well. I get that they're trying to be more realistic(?), but right now, it just seems like they exist to hand out "quests" in return for favor. I think Sins of a Solar Empire was the last strategy game I played that did something similar in terms of diplomacy. Hated it there, too. Kill that barbarian camp for me, attack that rival city-state for me, bleh. Also, secrecy pacts? Ookay.

The whole interface feels like it's been Sim-ified, for lack of a better term. I'm still getting used to it. I don't like how you can't drag within the minimap to drag the view (unless I'm doing something wrong).

But this is coming from someone who could play Civ4 forever, so I'm sure I'll get used to the changes eventually.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
It's Charles Napier. You know him from a TOOOONNNNNN of stuff.

Ahhhh, thanks. He Has been in a lot of stuff :lol

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
czartim said:
I take it GameStop was suppose to give me my pre-order code separate? I forgot all about it. :(

Did you check your receipt? A lot of that stuff is printed on there anymore.

Though I didn't know there were any benefits to preordering it.

Meier

Still annoyed that this game is full price on Steam. I think it's absurd that a digital product would cost as much as the physical copy.

I had a $20 pre-order from Amazon so I ended up giving in and buying it on there... guess I should have pre-ordered to get the map code. Oh well.

Hari Seldon

Damn!! Did all 5 basic tutorials (really not needed for a Civ IV vet), then now I started the big tutorial. Really digging the graphics, the UI, and the social system. Not sure what to do with City States yet.

Game runs great for DX10 on my system on high at 1900x1200: ATI 4870, Core 2 Duo (forget model), 4 GB RAM

jonnyp

Technosteve said:
THE DEMO IS CRACK DON'T PLAY IT

Will the demo savegame work with the full retail version? I've bought it on Steam but since I live in a third world country at the moment I won't have it unlocked until 24th. :(

epmode

Is it possible to direct a city's growth? Without manually purchasing a tile using gold, I mean. The city seems to select its future tiles automatically.

I was thinking of preordering it on game.co.uk or gamestation.co.uk, is there any way to get an offer code? any discount would be much appreciated!

Top Bottom