• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

Danj

Is "Sorry but the following items are not available for purchase in this country. Your purchase has been cancelled" on a disc-based Civ V install Steam-speak for "fuck you, we didn't activate your country yet, wait till midnight"?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
dollartaco said:
I'm open to any counterpoints. The game just didn't seem all that different, so I'm not sure why I'd stop playing Civ4.
It's a terrible analogy and shows that you really don't know much about at least one of the franchises, or that you're just completely unperceptive.

Cday

Banned
MmmSkyscraper said:
Mine is in:

Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\DLC\DLC_Deluxe\Soundtrack

Did Steam register your purchase as the deluxe version? You'd have "Nebuchadnezzar II" listed on your history as a purchase if it did. If that's there, maybe try verifying the integrity of the game cache?

It's registered as Civ V D2D DDeluxe Retail. I have Babylon just no soundtrack or video thing.

Sblargh

Banned
I think a lot of what goes on on the civ community isn't mcuh fear of change as it is simply not being used to not know what to do. Being in a position of experimenting rather than tweaking what you already know it works.

And just having a feel of how many cities is too many, how many is too few, if cities should be over-specialized or if every city should build kind of the same stuff, etc. and then there is the stuff that is new to this game. You don't need to have every city produce a building for happines once it reaches a certain point, but it is good to think "when my happiness is near 0, *this* city will make the coliseum" and then there is how much you invest on a city-state, how you invest, if starting a war to make a city-state happy is a good idea and when it is a good idea, etc.

People complain about aggressive civ, but in this thread people talked about how putting an army somewhere the other civ can see it, help to make it more friendly to you, this kind of stuff people should be seeing as a challenge, instead they are seeing it as faulty AI.

But I do agree with the critics that AI don't know how to use units to its advantage. It is pretty common on Prince to take over a rival civ or two without losing one single unit because the AI simply don't move it units right. But then again, if it is too easy to win, there are another bazillion difficulty levels above.

Ikael

Seems like a lot of hard core strategy press are not as happy as they had hoped with how the game turned out.

It seems that the saga have moved from the empire building simulation into the table wargame territory. Which sucks fucking bollocks, as Civilization IV was the very only game on the market of its class. Yes, it can be a good game, but now we have yet another turn based wargame, as if we needed more of those (and I am saying this as an admirer of games like Advance Wars or Master of Orion). Fuck that shit. I want to be a peacemonger and win my opponents using other things rather than WAR WAR WAR, I want to build everlasting cities and to spread my culture all over the world, I want to simulate and re - write history instead of being the general of an army which happens to be produced at cities. Now I can only buy a social policy each hour of gameplay or so, and build one building every 25 turns. Urgh.

Sblargh said:
I think a lot of what goes on on the civ community isn't mcuh fear of change as it is simply not being used to not know what to do. Being in a position of experimenting rather than tweaking what you already know it works.

And just having a feel of how many cities is too many, how many is too few, if cities should be over-specialized or if every city should build kind of the same stuff, etc. and then there is the stuff that is new to this game. You don't need to have every city produce a building for happines once it reaches a certain point, but it is good to think "when my happiness is near 0, *this* city will make the coliseum" and then there is how much you invest on a city-state, how you invest, if starting a war to make a city-state happy is a good idea and when it is a good idea, etc.

People complain about aggressive civ, but in this thread people talked about how putting an army somewhere the other civ can see it, help to make it more friendly to you, this kind of stuff people should be seeing as a challenge, instead they are seeing it as faulty AI.

But I do agree with the critics that AI don't know how to use units to its advantage. It is pretty common on Prince to take over a rival civ or two without losing one single unit because the AI simply don't move it units right. But then again, if it is too easy to win, there are another bazillion difficulty levels above.

Kind of how I felt. I was contemplating how many workers I needed in the game, because at the beginning of the game, I would usually just have one per city and a road builder. Now, I have no idea how long it takes to farm or build a mine, let alone build roads and everything. The advisers kept saying I needed to pump them out, but I wanted more culture, damn it!

Sblargh

Banned
FlyinJ said:
Is there a way to know how much upkeep an individual unit/road/improvement costs?

Improvement cost no upkeep; roads are 1 gold per tile, railroads are 2 gold per tile, doesn't matter what tile it is, so everything costs the same.
If you mouse over the buildings when you select new production, there is a maintenace value;
As for units, I have no fucking clue.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Sblargh said:
Pretty much. Everyone first tries to achieve something the way they think they need to do it from earlier games without looking too much into how the systems have changed. Look at all the people having issues trying to get cultural or scientific victories, for example.

Cday said:
It's registered as Civ V D2D DDeluxe Retail. I have Babylon just no soundtrack or video thing.
Have you tried re-verifying your game cache?

SRG01

Is there any way to purchase whatever you're currently building? I can only rush-buy things on the list that aren't built yet...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
dollartaco said:
I guess. But good one! Instead of talking about the game, we can just attack me!
madden barely changes anything. ever. their big change this year was that they reconfigured the buttons you press for audibles and hot routes and they created a "feature" where the cpu automatically picks plays for you.

civ v:
Cities
City warfare has been revamped. Whereas cities in previous versions of Civ relied entirely on garrisoned units for defense, cities in Civ 5 now defend themselves. Cities have hitpoints that, if taken down to zero, will signal the city's defeat to invading forces. Hitpoints can be increased by merging units with the city.[citation needed] Captured cities can be annexed, razed, or transformed into puppet states, each option having distinct advantages; for example, puppet states will provide resources and have lower unhappiness.[11]

[edit] Units and combat
In this iteration of the series, tactical gameplay will be encouraged over numbers, with the introduction of new gameplay mechanisms. Most significantly, the square grid of the world map has been removed in favor of a hexagonal grid, a feature inspired by the 1994 game Panzer General, according to lead designer Jon Shafer.[12] In addition, each hexagonal tile, including city tiles, can accommodate only one military unit at a time, forcing armies to spread out over large areas instead of piling onto a single tile. This has the effect of moving most large battles outside of the cities, and forces increased realism on sieges, which are now most effective when surrounding the city tile.[6][11] Also, increased movement points, simpler transportation over water, ranged attacks, and swapping of adjacent units will allow for more versatile maneuvering of units.[6][11][13]

Units take longer to produce than in previous games from the series, making them more valuable. As they defeat enemy units, units may be either promoted for bonuses or forgo their promotion in lieu of being completely healed. Another departure from previous games is that units are no longer always destroyed if defeated in combat.[14]

[edit] Research
Technology trading has been removed in favor of joint technological ventures. Two civilizations at peace can form a research pact, which for an initial investment of gold will provide both with a random unknown technology after 20 turns as long as they remain at peace.[15] However, it is possible for a civilization to sign a research agreement for the sole purpose of getting an enemy to spend money which could be used for other purposes; AI civilizations are programmed to sometimes use this tactic before declaring war.[16]

[edit] Social Policies
In a change to the culture system, in Civilization V players have the ability to "purchase" social policies at the expense of earned culture [17]. These social policies are made up of ten separate trees, and filling out five of the ten trees is a requirement to win a cultural victory. These policies replace the "Civics" government system of Civilization IV; the main difference is that the player had to switch out of old civics to adopt a new one, while social policies are cumulative bonuses. According to Jon Shafer, "With the policies system, we wanted to keep the feel of mixing and matching to construct one's government that was part of Civ IV, but we also wanted to instill a sense of forward momentum. Rather than having to switch out of one policy to adopt another, you build upon the policies already unlocked. The thought process we want to promote is "What cool new effect do I want?" rather than the feeling of needing to perform detailed analysis to determine if switching is a good idea." [18]

[edit] City-states
City-states, a new feature to the series, are non-expanding minor civilizations that can be interacted with. They can be conquered outright, or befriended for bonuses such as resources and units. There will be three types of city-states, each with different personalities and bonuses: maritime, cultured, and militaristic. A city state will have the potential to play a prominent role in diplomacy among larger civilizations, as well as make specific requests and grant rewards.
even the people who hate the game acknowledge (and complain about the fact) that it's a huge change.

Cday

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
Have you tried re-verifying your game cache?

No dice. I redownloaded it last night to make sure it wasn't a pre load thing and it downloaded as 5.5gb whereas the game folder is 4.44gb. I'll have to take it up with steam.

SRG01 said:
Is there any way to purchase whatever you're currently building? I can only rush-buy things on the list that aren't built yet...

Were you building a wonder? If so you can't buy wonders.

xbhaskarx

The special people you can turn into landmarks that produce culture wipe out the improvements your workers made to the spot you place them on, so is there any reason NOT to place them on desert?

Cday

Banned
If your city isn't working the desert you won't get the benefit. To see what tiles your city is working open the city screen and click the citizen allocation bar.

Shambles

One thing I found odd was that they kept every difficulty rating from previous games except the Noble difficulty which is what I would consider 'normal' difficulty for the series. Is prince the new noble?

Huzzah! My Collector's Edition got delivered to my apartment ten minutes ago! This evening, I shall bask in Civilization glory! Who gives a fuck if I have to eat ramen for the next thirty days. I'm in Civ town, baby!

Oh Russia, you're cities crumble and your fields burn when I get home from work tonight. Your downfall is only delayed by this damn project for our client.

AstroLad said:
madden barely changes anything. ever. their big change this year was that they reconfigured the buttons you press for audibles and hot routes and they created a "feature" where the cpu automatically picks plays for you.

even the people who hate the game acknowledge (and complain about the fact) that it's a huge change.

Point taken. I should probably spend longer with the game.

Zzoram

Shambles said:
One thing I found odd was that they kept every difficulty rating from previous games except the Noble difficulty which is what I would consider 'normal' difficulty for the series. Is prince the new noble?
Yes, Prince is the new Noble.

Ferrio

Banned
Using city-states for a proxy war rocks. When I was having ottoman encroach upon my small empire I really didn't have the resources to fund lots of units. So I'd build a unit, gift it to my militaristic friend that was between me and ottoman and watch them fight it out. Kept that bastard at bay, and I didn't have to pay as much!

Aaron

I'm playing at Prince and it's too easy. I bowled over two civs and drove back a major invasion without losing a city. My only problem is chronic unhappiness.

Shambles

Zzoram said:
Yes, Prince is the new Noble.

I'd like to hear the reasoning behind this from them. I find it hard to believe that 9 difficulty levels were simply too much, so they went with a far more reasonable 8 levels of difficulty. From the sounds of it even Prince won't be enough for a competative game. Hopefully the AI isn't as terrible on the higher levels. I like how on the demo I had the romans send a settler clear across the entire continent to settle their 2nd city in the 3 tile gap between my two cities. This cut off the road I was a couple turns away from finishing to link the two so I got pissed off and took over his city too. His capital was so far away I didn't even find it until the end of the game with a mounted unit. This was on the default demo difficulty which I think is merely cheiftan.

SRG01

Cday said:
No dice. I redownloaded it last night to make sure it wasn't a pre load thing and it downloaded as 5.5gb whereas the game folder is 4.44gb. I'll have to take it up with steam.

Were you building a wonder? If so you can't buy wonders.

Units actually. I want to buy my current unit, but I can't? Can anyone take a screenshot and highlight it for me?

f0rk

SRG01 said:
Units actually. I want to buy my current unit, but I can't? Can anyone take a screenshot and highlight it for me?

You could cancel the unit you're building then buy it. But I guess you want 2 units and not waste the production.

Macattk15

So I take it that it is best to diversify the roles of your cities? Such as make one or two cities your warmongering unit producing cities and then have the other cities focus on either Wonder building / Science boosting / etc.?

I'm like 5 hours into a 8 CPU game on Easy difficulty (working my way up) and I'm basically wayyyyyyy ahead of all the other civs ... at least the ones on the same continent that I can easily see.

Of course if I didn't go to war with Hiawatha and Nobunaga early on when they started to get larger and scarier than me then the situation might be different.

But I find going into games ... I don't really have a plan as to what I should be researching. I'm relatively new to the Civ series ... I did play 3 and 4 a small amount, but never enough to truly think about all the tech trees / units / buildings and so on.

So I build a ton of stuff all willy nilly in each city and research what I think looks good at a time not TRULY paying attention to what leads to what .... it seems to be working though (on easy difficulty) as my capital is gigantic and takes up a huge chunk of the land and churns out military units in 1-3 turns.

SRG01

Cday said:
Hover over it and it will tell you why.

For example

Nono, you're not understanding. From that screen shot, I want to buy Public School, not the other buildings. How would I do that? Civ4 allowed me to rush-buy things that were already in production so I won't have to pay more than I would need to. Can I do the same thing in Civ5?

Sblargh

Banned
Macattk15 said:
So I take it that it is best to diversify the roles of your cities? Such as make one or two cities your warmongering unit producing cities and then have the other cities focus on either Wonder building / Science boosting / etc.?

I'm like 5 hours into a 8 CPU game on Easy difficulty (working my way up) and I'm basically wayyyyyyy ahead of all the other civs ... at least the ones on the same continent that I can easily see.

Of course if I didn't go to war with Hiawatha and Nobunaga early on when they started to get larger and scarier than me then the situation might be different.

But I find going into games ... I don't really have a plan as to what I should be researching. I'm relatively new to the Civ series ... I did play 3 and 4 a small amount, but never enough to truly think about all the tech trees / units / buildings and so on.

So I build a ton of stuff all willy nilly in each city and research what I think looks good at a time not TRULY paying attention to what leads to what .... it seems to be working though (on easy difficulty) as my capital is gigantic and takes up a huge chunk of the land and churns out military units in 1-3 turns.

This is one of the things that will get really some experimenting before some consensus is arrived, I prefer to personalize my entire civ instead of some cities. So, if I'm aiming at a military victory, I tend to prioritize units and only build stuff like barracks/armory and production increasing stuff like windmills, unless, of course, I see my civ reaching the 0 happiness or 0 gold area. In that case, I make the appropriate building until the problem is resolved and then back to the units.

If I'm a pacifist (culture or science victory) and not at war, I do the apparently reasonable thing of intercalating an unit with a building, prioritizing the ones that will help me get to the victory I want.

I don't really have a strategy for diplomacy just yet, as it seems I need an insane lot of money and some good army at the same time, because war will happen sooner or later when you're trying to get city-states to love you. So I guess I would go kind of the military route, but making slightly less units and focusing on food and gold.
-
But then again, I'm a little lazy to micromanage what city is the army city and what city is the culture city. Also, I used to do that on civ 4 and always get that strange feeling like "Look at mighty America, the culture capital of the world. Except New York, New York makes the soldiers."

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I do miss individual-city happiness. That system just inherently made a lot of sense to me vs. this aggregate one.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Aaron said:
I'm playing at Prince and it's too easy. I bowled over two civs and drove back a major invasion without losing a city. My only problem is chronic unhappiness.

Same. I very rarely won a game on Prince in Civ 4 and I'm steamrolling everybody in this one.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Has anyone got a cultural victory on Prince or higher yet? I'm lingering around 1930 and I've only completed two social policy trees and I've tried my damnest to get techs and buildings to focus on culture.

Totakeke

I don't think it'll be that easy to specialize cities due to the slow speed of building stuffs and you'll be missing out on a lot of non vital techs when there's no tech trading. It feels like you'll be left very behind in the tech race if you attempt to go vertically throughout the tech trees to get those specialization buildings.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I had that exact problem. I wanted to get radio but I had to research a bunch of old techs to get it. It was very annoying. Also, I did not meet a single city state who could give me culture the entire game.

Cday

Banned
SRG01 said:
Nono, you're not understanding. From that screen shot, I want to buy Public School, not the other buildings. How would I do that? Civ4 allowed me to rush-buy things that were already in production so I won't have to pay more than I would need to. Can I do the same thing in Civ5?

Public School shows up for me. It costs 770 gold regardless of how far along you are in building it.

As a first time Civ player, I spent countless hours playing a campaign as the Japanese yesterday. I guess I now 'get' what the big deal with Civ is. I've read the complaints about how part 5 may be missing some depth of the earlier ones, but for me the updated presentation and improved combat make all the difference.

I'm playing as a bunch of warmongers, which is fun. Mostly automating my workers, which seems to be okay so far.

One thing I really don't get is building roads- that is, I don't do it. Should I be doing it? What do I need to know?

Totakeke

SRG01 said:

You can't rush buy things in production in Civ5, it has to be the whole thing from scratch when you rush buy it.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding the social policies. Then again I haven't really researched anything about it either. Playing as much CIV IV as I did I have not felt the need to research much about the social policies.

Ryuukan

Whoompthereitis said:
One thing I really don't get is building roads- that is, I don't do it. Should I be doing it? What do I need to know?

You need roads to supply resources to all your cities, absolute must.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
so is the game up for us europeans or people still fiddling with proxys? If so, when is the game supposed to be up?

eznark

Banned
Whoompthereitis said:
Cool. In a couple of hours my friend's popping by. He's a Civ vet, so I'll get him to give me a road tutorial.

Set a bunch of workers to auto - they build roads - profit

Totakeke

Whoompthereitis said:
Cool. In a couple of hours my friend's popping by. He's a Civ vet, so I'll get him to give me a road tutorial.

Build roads for only connecting cities. Unlike in Civ4, you don't need to route roads to the resources on the map. You also want the most direct route under most circumstances because roads cost gold maintenance as long you built the road so you want the minimum amount of roads needed.

birdchili

Whoompthereitis said:

roads reduce the movement cost of tiles, which provides a massive mobility advantage during wars (you can get units to the "front" much more rapidly and respond to changing situations in general).

you also need roads to hook up trade routes (i think you still need to do this?), giving access to luxuries and creating happiness.

Top Bottom