• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

Sblargh

Banned
platypotamus said:
No money increase, but your connected cities get a 50% hammer boost with a rail connection to the capital.

Presumably that means that your overseas cities are screwed.

It's okay, overseas cities are just there so we could have somewhere to ditch criminals and fundamentalists.

Borgnine said:
I look over and my neighbor's got 2 or 3 cities already and I'm still dicking around planting beans and shit.

My god would that be the perfect title for a 'Civ Noob' thread.... :lol Thanks for the laugh.

What is this bullshit Steam? I just want to play my goddamn game. It arrived in the post this morning but I need to wait till its actually out to play? And I have to go by UTC? Not fuckin cool man, it's the 24th where I am already.

Burger

electricshake said:
What is this bullshit Steam? I just want to play my goddamn game. It arrived in the post this morning but I need to wait till its actually out to play? And I have to go by UTC? Not fuckin cool man, it's the 24th where I am already.

Tell me about it. Steam says it's available now, but trying to install off the disc says it's unreleased......

I love digital rights management!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
electricshake said:
Hey, if we in the US had to wait until 10 AM Eastern for our unlocks, the rest of you can also wait however long until 0:00 UTC. ;P

Don't forget the hour or two of weird decrypt/unlocking/server shenanigans!

This is just ridiculous. I already paid for the game yesterday.
What kind of idiot thinks of such a way to release a game?
They are shitting in the face of the paying customer.

XiaNaphryz said:
Hey, if we in the US had to wait until 10 AM Eastern for our unlocks, the rest of you can also wait however long until 0:00 UTC. ;P

Don't forget the hour or two of weird decrypt/unlocking/server shenanigans!

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. Christ on a bike. Won't be playing this anytime soon then, I need to go to bed :( And I shouldn't have to wait at all, I have the DVD in the drive, ready to go!

And you bawbags got it on Tuesday! You don't get to complain :p

I just want my civ. Please? :(

John

So, uh, I don't suppose there's some neat tutorial somewhere that explains to me how to start playing in a cohesive, intuitive way

f0rk

TBH it's more annoying we have to wait the extra 3 days because of publishers and physical sales than the few hours because of a mess of a release procedure.

sdornan

TaeOH said:
Thanks. It would be a no brainer if the Steam version was actually cheaper, it annoys me they want the same price for a digital download. But I am in a impulse mood and love Civ, I just cannot get to the store right now. If bought the Steam version it would be ready in a few hours I think.

I don't understand the common thought going around that digital download games should be cheaper than retail games. The box and disc cost what to make, $1, if that?

Beaulieu

I want to play this but on canyourunit.com it says I barely go over the minimum reqs. I dont want it to start laggin in late-game...

any1 here runs it on minimum reqs ??

Burger

sdornan said:
I don't understand the common thought going around that digital download games should be cheaper than retail games. The box and disc cost what to make, $1, if that?

Typically retailers have a 15-25% margin on a new game, more or less depending on the publisher, and the RRP.

So yeah, they should be cheaper, not by much, but a little bit. I got Civ5 for $88 NZ at retail, versus $79.99 US on Steam, which works out to be $110 NZ. Try and work that one out.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Beaulieu said:
I want to play this but on canyourunit.com it says I barely go over the minimum reqs. I dont want it to start laggin in late-game...

any1 here runs it on minimum reqs ??

My laptop is a little bit above the minimum and it seems to run ok late game. Mostly play on my desktop though so I can't say for sure.

sdornan

Burger said:
Typically retailers have a 15-25% margin on a new game, more or less depending on the publisher, and the RRP.

So yeah, they should be cheaper, not by much, but a little bit. I got Civ5 for $88 NZ at retail, versus $79.99 US on Steam, which works out to be $110 NZ. Try and work that one out.

Right, but digital games are sold by retailers - in this case, Steam - too.

Burger said:

Yeah, that's why I'm picking up the retail version. Steam is usually cheaper, but sometimes they really jack the price up for whatever reason.

XiaNaphryz

Firebrand said:
So are people enjoying this still or is it the worst game ever made and I should cancel my pre-order?
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=381707

I present to you, "Civ3 WAY BETTER than Civ4" wharrrgarbbbl. CivFanatic forum headlines from Civ4's release five years ago.

Lions attacking units... How stupid is that!? (Multi-page thread 1 2)
Entire Game is a bug (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9)
Stupid, Evil Civ IV...
This game is making me mad
TRAGEDY ! How could we COMPARE ?
Civ IV: good, but plenty of bad (Multi-page thread 1 2)
Its the little things the make me INSANE!
Poor Performance
Half Baked Release
Shame on Gamespot and IGN!! (Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
Why is this game so highly rated? 'myrantings' (Multi-page thread 1 2)
What a let down!
Civ 4 works for me, but I'm still angry!
This game should have been tested longer? (Multi-page thread 1 2)
The spearman just beated my tank , this game sux and its retarded
What in Sid's name is wrong with the multiplayer server selection window?!?!
Useless Advisors (Multi-page thread 1 2)
With All the Complaints, is it worth buying? (Multi-page thread 1 2 3)

And many more!!

Domstercool

Bloody hell! Has anyone bought the disc version in UK? The CD Key doesn't activate, says the items cannot be purchase in this country, even though the disc is from GAME! Gah! ¬_¬

XiaNaphryz

Domstercool said:
Bloody hell! Has anyone bought the disc version in UK? The CD Key doesn't activate, says the items cannot be purchase in this country, even though the disc is from GAME! Gah! ¬_¬
Did you try restarting Steam? Might be an unlock timing issue.

Vek

Burger said:

I think the margin could be even higher, considering that you could get it for $40AU from ozgameshop (although that price may have to do with them being based in the UK, which would only raise further questions of the Steam price).

$40 saving isn't worth the 1-2week wait though :p.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Domstercool said:
Same issue for me, fuck games that enforce bullshit like this.

Blizzard

Banned
So, after a long and addictive 100 rounds of the demo, I gave in. I drove to my local K-mart after work to take advantage of the discount.

Turns out they're apparently not even selling PC games or software at all anymore. The manager type who was walking around didn't seem to see any, I didn't see any, and it's kind of weird since I almost thought a friend of mine got StarCraft 2 at that same exact K-mart a while back.

Zzoram

Moobabe said:
Ok - decrypted and...... black screen and background music. Try DX9.... crash on startup. The joys of pc gaming :D

\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\UserSettings.ini

About 15 lines down, set
SkipIntroVideo = 1

Zzoram

Firebrand said:
So are people enjoying this still or is it the worst game ever made and I should cancel my pre-order?

I played hundreds of hours of Civ IV and I personally enjoy Civ V more. Combat is so, so much improved, it was by far the thing I hated most in IV so I'm glad they fixed it.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So Im playing an Epic length game on Prince as the French. I was all alone up in my area with my entire southern boarder lined with 5 city states making a nice barrier between me, the USA and the Aztecs.

Ive been chugging along, pumping out wonders and just doing my cultural thing and had developed a very friendly relationsihip with the USA, completed 3 research agreements, long lasting open boarders, cooperation agreements and secret pacts against Montezuma.

Then all of a sudden the US starts attacking the city state, Vienna, thats on the land bridge between us. I try and give Vienna unit support to keep the buffer between us but the US was the biggest military power around and eventually Vienna fell, and being right on my boarder Washington felt that was too much of a threat and promptly declared war on me despite our 3 thousand year peace and prosperity together. I thankfully was able to set up some key units and block his advance and finally put up an offensive of my own and retook Vienna.

At that same time I had just unlocked gunpowder and built around 3 Musketeers though none of them had been in battle yet. So after Vienna was retaken I though it was a decent time to see if Washington would settle for peace. He did but when I hit the "What Will Make This Work" button not only does he offer up all his luxuries and gold but he also give mes 5 cities, every city of his save for the Capital. What the hell just happened? I had at best 7 units three of which were Musketeers.

Zzoram

Enduin said:
So Im playing an Epic length game on Prince as the French. I was all alone up in my area with my entire southern boarder lined with 5 city states making a nice barrier between me, the USA and the Aztecs.

Ive been chugging along, pumping out wonders and just doing my cultural thing and had developed a very friendly relationsihip with the USA, completed 3 research agreements, long lasting open boarders, cooperation agreements and secret pacts against Montezuma.

Then all of a sudden the US starts attacking the city state, Vienna, thats on the land bridge between us. I try and give Vienna unit support to keep the buffer between us but the US was the biggest military power around and eventually Vienna fell, and being right on my boarder Washington felt that was too much of a threat and promptly declared war on me despite our 3 thousand year peace and prosperity together. I thankfully was able to set up some key units and block his advance and finally put up an offensive of my own and retook Vienna.

At that same time I had just unlocked gunpowder and built around 3 Musketeers though none of them had been in battle yet. So after Vienna was retaken I though it was a decent time to see if Washington would settle for peace. He did but when I hit the "What Will Make This Work" button not only does he offer up all his luxuries and gold but he also give mes 5 cities, every city of his save for the Capital. What the hell just happened? I had at best 7 units three of which were Musketeers.

If the AI determines that your army is capable of taking it's Capital and it can't stop you, it will offer you everything to stop you from killing it. That is somewhat realistic in a self-serving ruler kind of way.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I'm honestly nervous about picking this up. I still have tons to do in Reach, been playing Minecraft more often and log on here and there on WoW still (attempting to roll a priest for the expansion, though it's going realllll slow) along with IRL work and shit... I don't need this massive time sink either. I know I'll be addicted to it.

damnit

Playing Civ Rev on the 360 really helped me understand Civilization better. I think it's a great gateway to the PC Civs. It especially helped with understanding resources and how production works. I'm sure I would be overwhelmed playing Civ V if I hadn't played Civ Rev last year.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Ok what the hell, I just met Darius, I thought I was kicking butt with a 1300 score, 19 happiness and 78 gold per turn vs USA & Aztecs measly 350 and rather low everything else, but now I find Darius has 1500 score, makes 391 gold per turn on top of the 5k he already has and he has a happiness rating of 62. What the shit.

Aselith

Enduin said:

Zzoram said:
If the AI determines that your army is capable of taking it's Capital and it can't stop you, it will offer you everything to stop you from killing it. That is somewhat realistic in a self-serving ruler kind of way.

This made me think of this:

Dr. Peter Venkman: [exiting a bank] You're not going to lose the house. Everybody has three mortgages nowadays.
Dr. Raymond Stantz: I know, but at 19%? You didn't even bargain with the guy.

Top Bottom