• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Totakeke said:
No, the AI is just dumb, even at higher difficulties.

Seriously, I just played a game in which the English AI were attacking a city state for over 1000 years. Longbowmen in every tile of the city.

got my bollywood achievement with 2 cities, victory at turn 494! It's amazing how much territory you can cover with 2 culture focused cities just pooping out culture. I had over 325 culture/turn at the peak - got my capital at over 200 culture per turn. My neighbors early game were Japan and England, Japan eventually took over England and completely surrounded my north, east, west boarders (coast on my souther boarder). I had to kiss Oda's ass the entire game to keep him on my good side, accepted his pacts and requests for declaring war. I was cut off from every other nation by land, which enabled me to just focus on culture. Never even explored my whole continent or got farther than the shallow water.

Chris R

Tried to get my Bollywood on, only to get moaned at by two other civs, who end up attacking me :| Two games ~150+ turns each down the hole.

I'm not expanding fast or anything, just cranking out wonders and other +culture buildings. I guess I just need to be buying military units to keep them off me instead of spending gold on city states :|

butts

I'm going for a domination victory; there are about 4 cities left, one of them being Montezuma's last city. Every time I take it over, the game crashes. Is this common?

butts said:
I'm going for a domination victory; there are about 4 cities left, one of them being Montezuma's last city. Every time I take it over, the game crashes. Is this common?

Yes it's called Montezuma's Revenge

DEO3

rhfb said:
Tried to get my Bollywood on, only to get moaned at by two other civs, who end up attacking me :| Two games ~150+ turns each down the hole.

I'm not expanding fast or anything, just cranking out wonders and other +culture buildings. I guess I just need to be buying military units to keep them off me instead of spending gold on city states :|

When I did Bollywood I just made friends with the top dog civ and did whatever he wanted me to. Since he was going for a domination victory he'd ask me to declare war on someone like every 20 turns. I always agreed but never actually helped, and it was rare for any enemy units to come my way since they were usually too busy getting crushed by him. It got close near the end though, as he had just finished off the last of the other players when I completed the Utopia project in 1992, if I had taken only a couple of turns longer he surely would've wiped me out to win the game.

Tabris

I have had 10+ game crashes so far. Fun :| I have to save every turn.

This is why I hate PC gaming.

Are my specs at fault, I am running generally low settings and my specs are as follows:

Intel Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz
4.00GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512mb VRAM

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
I just got the "Seriously!?!?" achievement... :l
God damn. I feel like such a failure lol. Pretty much all of them only required 1 or 2 more turns to complete too!

(Have another Civ beat you to completing a Wonder 10 times.)

butts

timetokill said:
Yes it's called Montezuma's Revenge

I found the issue, its a bug with the game not being able to handle you getting a 70th city under your control. To get around it, you have to raze to the ground enough cities to keep you below the 70 mark :\

Aaron

Tabris said:
I have had 10+ game crashes so far. Fun :| I have to save every turn.

This is why I hate PC gaming.

Are my specs at fault, I am running generally low settings and my specs are as follows:

Intel Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz
4.00GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512mb VRAM
Are you playing the dx10 version? Play dx9 it's much more stable.

Totakeke

Better performance for older graphics cards, less crashes.

butts said:
I found the issue, its a bug with the game not being able to handle you getting a 70th city under your control. To get around it, you have to raze to the ground enough cities to keep you below the 70 mark :\

70 cities? Were you playing on huge?

Chris R

DEO3 said:
When I did Bollywood I just made friends with the top dog civ and did whatever he wanted me to. Since he was going for a domination victory he'd ask me to declare war on someone like every 20 turns. I always agreed but never actually helped, and it was rare for any enemy units to come my way since they were usually too busy getting crushed by him. It got close near the end though, as he had just finished off the last of the other players when I completed the Utopia project in 1992, if I had taken only a couple of turns longer he surely would've wiped me out to win the game.
Ya I'm going to try to mix it up. I was playing on Small (or whatever the 6 civ setting was) with continents, so its basically 3 on one island with not much room for expansion. Even knocking the difficulty down didn't quench their blood thirsty nature :lol Hoping a larger map and pangea will fix things.

Aaron

Tabris said:
What's the negative though?
It looks better in DX10. You can't enable AA and I think a few other graphics effects in DX9. Honestly, you'll barely notice the difference, and the game will stop crashing.

slyght

Neo Member
Sorry if this has already been asked but is it possible to influence which tile is taken next by a city which got enough culture? It is quite often that I would go for a tile on sea because it has fish but instead it takes a tile which is just plain grasland.

SmokyDave

Sat down to play this yesterday morning. Apart from nipping out for a pint and some lunch (2 hours maybe), I played all day. It was a blast. I can't see me ever going back to Civ4. I'm sad to see Genghis Khan has gone but Otto Bismark has taken the bonus that Genghis had so I built a glorious German civilization and drove them to a Domination victory.

zoku88 said:
You don't need to sleep every day.
I need this printing on top of my monitor.

Totakeke

slyght said:
Sorry if this has already been asked but is it possible to influence which tile is taken next by a city which got enough culture? It is quite often that I would go for a tile on sea because it has fish but instead it takes a tile which is just plain grasland.

Nope, another feature of Civ 5.

You can try buying a tile and hope the surrounding tiles jump to the top of its priority list.

LCfiner

Sorry for this bit of lazyweb but I haven't checked the Civpedia yet...

How does the game decide which tiles are available for purchase for a city and how much they cost?

trinest

LCfiner said:
Sorry for this bit of lazyweb but I haven't checked the Civpedia yet...

How does the game decide which tiles are available for purchase for a city and how much they cost?
Magic.

Everything other than Domination wins are hard for me too do, military just makes sense! Make the best units and attack people, my tiny brain understands this. When I try to do anything else I get confused and do way to many things, I just spent a whole standard game up until 2050 with lots of tech, lots of culture, and for some dumb reason, trying get elected in the UN.

All I wanted was a cultural victory! I teched up and built loads of monuments so I could get more culture, and I kept Florence nearby to try to get them to pass me some extra Culture as much as possible. I built stupid amounts of Monuments and Buildings for as much bonus Culture as possible. I stayed away from nearly all wars, I took out just one City State, and only once accidentally declared war (another Civ asked me too, and I was tired) on someone on a tonally different continent, that I only saw once with my little scouting boat. I thought I was doing all right, but near the end I realized I wouldnt have enough turns for either a Tech or Culture victory, and to rub more salt in my wounds, Hiawatha of the Iroquois decided I had lived long enough, and with his giant army of modern tech weapons roll into my 4 cities and start picking them off one by one! I lost Paris, Orleans, and Lyon! I just held off his massive army in my annexed city state of Helsinki....

....but then 2050 came, and it was all for nothing :(. Plus, here I am listening to Three Moves Ahead, and Im pretty sure Julian "Rabbit" Murdoch says he gets cultural victories in 2 hours!

I still had loads of fun though, but it was a bummer thats for sure!

No_Style

Rez said:
fuckin Napoleon

That guy is so aggressive with his expansion. I'm currently going for Bollywood as well and it's a struggle to keep both him and Alexander in check. At one point: both of those bastards allied and declared war on me. :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
If I was ever going to try for Bollywood I'd made sure to manually set all the civs so that Alex and Nap don't show up and fuck me over.

Although Monty will probably make up for them or something.

eznark

Banned
Borgnine said:
This is how my Bollywood attempt went:

zmi7s.jpg

:(

This image has to be doctored. The AI never properly places its ranged units.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
eznark said:
This image has to be doctored. The AI never properly places its ranged units.
probably coincidence

vvv

oh my god :lol

eznark

Banned
My favorite part of that image? Facing all of that firepower and all of that infantry, you are building a warrior!

:lol

Zero Hero

After defending an attack by Montezuma, he quickly pleaded for peace and gave me all his gold. He only had his capital so he couldn't offer any cities. It was early so I accepted. After a few turns, I looked on my diplomacy screen and it shows AFRAID next to his name. A few more turns go by and it goes to a conversation screen with him asking for me to 'please show compassion on his weak empire'. I never saw any civ do that before but it did make me smile coming from him. :D

Cheech

Is the Prima guide of any use? Amazon has it for $12, and I'm thinking of biting.

Many of the concepts/relationships in the game are beyond my understanding. I read the actual 200 page behemoth manual cover to cover, and it explains what everything is on the surface, but the actual relationships I don't get.

For example, what is the formula that determines how many turns it requires to research a new tech? For some reason I can't find this anywhere.

Also, what is the full result of an unhappy Civ? The Civlopedia just says "build more happy shit", without actually explaining the impact of the unhappy Civ in the first place.

Anyway, if anyone can recommend/not recommend the Prima guide, I'd appreciate it.

Zzoram

Cheech said:
Is the Prima guide of any use? Amazon has it for $12, and I'm thinking of biting.

Many of the concepts/relationships in the game are beyond my understanding. I read the actual 200 page behemoth manual cover to cover, and it explains what everything is on the surface, but the actual relationships I don't get.

For example, what is the formula that determines how many turns it requires to research a new tech? For some reason I can't find this anywhere.

Also, what is the full result of an unhappy Civ? The Civlopedia just says "build more happy shit", without actually explaining the impact of the unhappy Civ in the first place.

Anyway, if anyone can recommend/not recommend the Prima guide, I'd appreciate it.

The internet should be able to teach you these things in time.

Unhappy less than 10 just cuts population growth in half. Unhappy 10 or more makes your army 33% weaker in combat (hover your mouse over the happy icon to see effects currently in play).

All research has a set beaker cost (playing below Prince difficulty may make them cheaper to give you an advantage). The turns you take to finish a tech is based on how many beakers you are generating across your civilization. You get 1 beaker per citizen + any modifiers from libraries/universities/laboratories/academies/social policies.

Zzoram

For those crashing, have you updated to the latest GPU drivers? That solves the majority of problems for the majority of people. Having the latest Windows Updates helps too. If you have a sound card instead of integrated sound, make sure those drivers are up to date too. Sound cards are notoriously bad for causing game crashes, which is why I've never bought one ever.

LCfiner

Cheech said:

each tech has a certain science point value. each turn, your civ accumulates a certain amount of science points shown in the upper left part of your menu bar.

divide the science value of the tech by the amount you accumulate per turn and you get the number of turns

this idea is used for earning social policies, production in cities, etc.

if your civ is unhappy you will get stagnant population growth in cities and your armies will fight less effectively. also, you won't be gaining points to start a golden age.

there may be other effects but I can't remember them.

evilgreg

Neo Member
Forgive me if this has been asked, but how exactly do you "liberate" a city?

I've seen this term used a few times--people saying that other civs will like you if you liberate cities. I assume it's not referring to puppeting/annexing cities after you conquer them but I'm probably wrong.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
evilgreg said:

I've seen this term used a few times--people saying that other civs will like you if you liberate cities. I assume it's not referring to puppeting/annexing cities after you conquer them but I'm probably wrong.

Say in your current game Alexander conquered Vienna a couple hundred turns ago. Now say you're in the middle of war with him, beating him up and taking over his cities. When you get to and conquer Vienna you'll be given the extra option to liberate them, although you can still annex / puppet them if you so choose.

Edit: whoops, looking at Zzoram's post, looks like I misunderstood. Still, same deal. When you conquer a city that used to belong to another civ, you'll be given the liberate (give back) option.

Zzoram

evilgreg said:

If Monty conquers London, then you conquer London, you can Liberate it (return it to England) or Annex it or Puppet it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Never actually tried this (dead Civs stay dead in my book!) but if you liberate a dead Civ (not city-state) do they vote for you in the UN?

Sober

Trying to do a cultural victory with Napoleon (dunno why, Ancien Regime looks like it could work) but every damn civ keeps getting in my way, so this is gonna turn out to probably be domination or diplomatic since I'm sorta behind in tech now (I can generally hit 2-3x more beakers by this point if I was trying) and Rome and China keep annexing city states, so I guess I'll go liberate them.

I've got maybe 8 cities now because I wanted Berlin (can I still do a cultural victory in time?), after razing about 3 German attempts to steal some primo land; Bismarck pees his pants if I put a single military unit at his borders, but Rome and I like to duke it out. We've declared war over the most useless patch of dirt he keeps trying to settle on over and over again, and China keeps crawling up closer, but is still friendly.

So, with piety tree filled out, do I just spam happiness and cultural buildings? I have a city devoted to gold (3 pearls, a silver tile), but my GPT is amazingly low (sometimes, at 0 until I pop a GP for a GA) because the maintanence costs for culture and happiness buildings are stupid. I guess I should fill out Commerce (only it adopted), or should I save up to unlock into Freedom?

Totakeke

AstroLad said:
Never actually tried this (dead Civs stay dead in my book!) but if you liberate a dead Civ (not city-state) do they vote for you in the UN?

I'd say no. I liberated Washington and he didn't want to cooperate with me several turns later. Heard others say the same.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Totakeke said:
I'd say no. I liberated Washington and he didn't want to cooperate with me several turns later. Heard others say the same.
Bleh too bad. Seems like that would be a fair penalty to force them to vote for you at least. Ah well good thing I always left them dead.

Top Bottom