• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

Does the AI cheats? I started playing a round, and Alexander declared war on me, and he had like 6 mounted units, 7 archers, 6 pikemen and he only had like 2 cities. Hell Catherine had more lands but Alexander had a fuck ton of military units, by far than any other. He ended up taking 2 of my cities, I'm getting more units to get them back though.

Edit: I'm also getting some weird graphic errors, and I have to verify files each time to run the game properly..

pix

Sgt.Pepper said:
Does the AI cheats? I started playing a round, and Alexander declared war on me, and he had like 6 mounted units, 7 archers, 6 pikemen and he only had like 2 cities. Hell Catherine had more lands but Alexander had a fuck ton of military units, by far than any other. He ended up taking 2 of my cities, I'm getting more units to get them back though.

Depends what difficulty you play at? I play on Deity, and yeah they get huge starting bonuses.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Sgt.Pepper said:
It doesn't matter how much territory he has. Alexander tends to focus on millitary power so it would make sense that he put more effort into cranking out a large army instead of expanding.

Sgt.Pepper said:

If you look at the difficulty selection, from King/Difficulty 5 and onward it clearly states that the A.I. will receive advances in culture, resources and such to make the experience more challenging. On the 1-4 difficulties you can pretty much steam roll the A.I.

Also it's awesome to know that the only DLC I've purchased thus far, the Danish vikings, is apparently awful.

Falch

So much fun just reading up on this thread.

I bought civ5 at release (special edition even) but never got really far into the game due to my PC not being able to handle the game very well. Now I'm getting a new PC in a week or two, and among other games (portal 2, crysis games, deus ex HR) I'm gonna rediscover civ5. 

I understand a lot has changed about the game since release, and that most changes have been for the better. Is that correct?

I'm also gonna check out several mods.

Falch said:
I understand a lot has changed about the game since release, and that most changes have been for the better. Is that correct?
Correct. The April patch was the game changer and finally reintroduced the 'just one more turn' feeling that the initial release was lacking. While I don't agree with a few of the nerfs to certain buildings/units, it's a much better game now that it was.
leroidys said:
Is Korea fun to play as? Only DLC civ I haven't bought yet, after the very lackluster vikings.
Korea has become one of my favourite civs to play as. With the right kind of strategy, you can outclass Babylon at science. If I were to rate the DLC subjectively in terms of 'fun':

1) Inca
2) Korea
3) Polynesia
4) Babylon
5) Spain
6) Vikings

But in terms how good they are I would say:

1) Babylon
2) Korea
3) Inca
4) Viking, Spain, Polynesia.

The bottom three are quite situational to the map type/victory conditions/luck, whereas the top three seem to work very well in most situations.

HEY gang!
I just made the switch rom 4 to 5 during this week and I'd like some adivse.
I'm trying to get a cultural victory. I've tried before but it always turns into a science or war game. The advise I'm seeing is about keeping the city count low and making super cities to keep the cultural debt lower, but I'm having to deal with far more war than I thought I would. I guess when you have all the gold and arms tech people don't screw with you as much. I'm also playing on Prince level for the first time.
The second my good ally wanted my land, it was instant war, is there a way to keep them off of me politically that they won't go back on? Also, How can keep up a good side army and still make my wonders, which are key for me right now?

Maybe general tips would be good. I've played all the civ games but I fucking love 5 so I'm playing for real now, iwth harder games and more opponants.

leroidys

marvelharvey said:
Correct. The April patch was the game changer and finally reintroduced the 'just one more turn' feeling that the initial release was lacking. While I don't agree with a few of the nerfs to certain buildings/units, it's a much better game now that it was.
Korea has become one of my favourite civs to play as. With the right kind of strategy, you can outclass Babylon at science. If I were to rate the DLC subjectively in terms of 'fun':

1) Inca
2) Korea
3) Polynesia
4) Babylon
5) Spain
6) Vikings

But in terms how good they are I would say:

1) Babylon
2) Korea
3) Inca
4) Viking, Spain, Polynesia.

The bottom three are quite situational to the map type/victory conditions/luck, whereas the top three seem to work very well in most situations.

Thanks, this was very helpful. I definitely agree with how you have the other DLC civs ranked by fun-ness.

jaundicejuice said:
Is it worthwhile to just buy all of the DLC? My playtime with just the base game is 86 hours without any real signs of stopping.

I did so. Worth it, really, because one-more-turn basically gets extended by each civ you buy! (Haven't got the hang of the scenarios yet, but they are interesting. Guess I'm just a sucker for the core game though.)

Carm

Red Blaster said:
Okay wtf, Steam overlay does not work with the game. I've even reinstalled it and it still doesn't work. Anyone else have/had this issue?

Works fine for me in DX9 and 11, Win 7 64 bit nvidia gpu.

Dakota47

Danj said:
Only the core game's on sale though, doesn't look like the DLC is.

Yeah, that is really too bad. I am in the market for the new civs, I don't really mind about the scenario and map packs.

Carm said:
Works fine for me in DX9 and 11, Win 7 64 bit nvidia gpu.

Overlay works in DX9 but doesn't in DX11...really odd. Game looks mostly the same in DX9 mode as long as I force AA through Nvidia Inspector so it's not a big deal.

FStop7

Banned
So LTTP on this but I bought it on Steam ($15 for the deluxe version) and am loving it. It's completely eaten up the weekend. I just repelled a Napoleonic invasion and feel like a total badass.

Deku

Banned
FStop7 said:
So LTTP on this but I bought it on Steam ($15 for the deluxe version) and am loving it. It's completely eaten up the weekend. I just repelled a Napoleonic invasion and feel like a total badass.

It's pretty awesome. Welcome to the club.

Any questions feel free to ask.

I'm in the same boat as Falch up there, I played the heck out of CivV in DX9 mode for about 2 weeks or so and then switched to something else and never came back - is it worth it to come back now in the lull before Skyrim or should I be concentrating on getting through my backlog of RPGs (working on Radiant Historia now)?

Firebrand

Seronei said:
I'm quite certain I saw that in a store more than a month ago here in Sweden.
Yeah, a GOTY Edition has been out since spring in Europe. According to this article the US product also includes the Denmark + Explorer DLCs which weren't part of the EU package.

The bit about including the Mongolian DLC is a bit misleading though, as it's free.

Wes

venison crêpe
Having not played really since release I've been playing the heck out of it for the past week or so. Having lots of fun. I still don't think I have my city planning down very well yet, must go back to refine my skills!

leroidys

How are the new wonders and scenario? I like the idea of any ancient civs scenario, but I can't believe how expensive the DLC is for this game.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So I built a new PC for Skyrim this week, but last night I re-installed Civ5 onto my new PC (bought Skyrim today over lunch, haven't been home yet). I haven't played Civ5 at all for months, but I started a new game last night with all graphics to max, and even in DX11 mode (used to always use DX9 before) just to see what it looked like, and WOW. This game looks so much better with a capable system. I'll have to play a game to the end to see how the performance fares with a huge map and multiple opponents.

Is DX11 mode okay to use now? My new PC is an i5 2500K with 8GB RAM and a GTX560Ti, will it still be silky smooth on the largest maps with a full opponent list, or is that still a pipe dream? :)

leroidys said:
How are the new wonders and scenario? I like the idea of any ancient civs scenario, but I can't believe how expensive the DLC is for this game.

i'm assuming you are referring to the korea dlc and 2 new wonders?

The new wonders are not really worth the price. the one that gives you a bonus for attacking cities can be nice if you are planning on taking a lot of cities down the road. the other bonus is kinda meh.

the korea civ could be my favorite now, so maybe that one is worth it.

but the wonders on thier own, not so much.

leroidys

So since it and the DLC is on sale, is any of the Civ V DLC worth picking up? What's the best/worst deals?

The spain/inca pack and polynesia civ are both very good, must haves in my opinion.

I found the Denmark, Babylon, and Mongolia packs to be very meh, and the cradle of civilization DLC maps are a definite avoid.

I bought the Korea/wonders pack today, but have not yet played with them. Apparently Korea is very fun, while the wonders pack is not very impressive.

This may sound really stupid but I just started playing this game so bare with me.

When I create something like a farm or a trading post, do I have to connect them to the capital via routes or roads?

This may sound really stupid but I just started playing this game so bare with me.

When I create something like a farm or a trading post, do I have to connect them to the capital via routes or roads?

No, not in Civ V. So long as they are in the hexagonal influence of the city.

I usually start making roads when I have 2 or 3 cities to connect them to the capital. All the rest of the stuff gets connected incidentally.
The roads are more about troop movement speed in Civ V.

So since it and the DLC is on sale, is any of the Civ V DLC worth picking up? What's the best/worst deals?

The Polynesians are a must. They can set sail on the very first turn!

What do you mean about "hexagonal influence"?

Also some people have complained about this game getting "dumbed down", specifically on Amazon reviews. Is that true or are they just out of it?

leroidys

What do you mean about "hexagonal influence"?

Also some people have complained about this game getting "dumbed down", specifically on Amazon reviews. Is that true or are they just out of it?

Click on the city and you will see how far out tiles are that the city can work. It's a pink shape that encompasses tiles, it grows based on the cultural output of that city and other bonuses.

The game is definitely dumbed down. So was Civ Rev, but somehow it felt fresh in that. Civ V just kind of feels like Civ Iv minus to me. However, there are some huge and obvious improvements that make it very difficult to go back to the earlier games. It's a solid entry, but just not a definitive upgrade.

Yeah, sorry should have explained the tile influence.
I used to hate the non-stacking aspect of Civ V but I've gotten used to it and now I can't go back to IV. The lack of religion and spying flat-out sucks though.

leroidys

Thanks for the info, and how so?

They tried to really consolidate the experience and make something that they had complete control and understanding of, whereas the previous entries had so much stuff going on it led to divergent gameplay and interesting strategies that were never even thought of by the development team.

This is basically what they did with Civ Rev, but the team seemed to have a better understanding of the gameplay and it worked. The problem with Civilization V was that, somehow, the developers had no idea how they're own game actually worked.. The game was completely solved/broken within literally days of its release. They've been continuing to patch it and tweak it, and it plays much, much better now, but it is just damaged goods for having been so poorly executed upon its release. The fundamentals just aren't good.

I could go into a more detail about the exact game mechanics if you like, but this is basically the issue.

Mengy

I could go into a more detail about the exact game mechanics if you like, but this is basically the issue.

I'd like to hear a more detailed explanation please. I like Civ5 alot, but it does not have the allure or longevity for me like Civ4 BTS did. In many ways it feels like a step back from Civ4 for me, even though there were some very big steps forward too.

I'd like to hear a more detailed explanation please. I like Civ5 alot, but it does not have the allure or longevity for me like Civ4 BTS did. In many ways it feels like a step back from Civ4 for me, even though there were some very big steps forward too.

I 2nd that :)

So I played this game today again. I decided to start over. When I was done with the session I thought I was on for like 2 hours or so. Turns out I was playing for over 5 hours...

This is the most time suck game I've played since Rollercoaster Tycoon.

leroidys

I 2nd that :)

Sorry I kind of abandoned the thread - super busy with finals/final projects this past week.

So the entire thrust of the game was to give individual cities more character and importance, contrary to prior civ games where it was all about spamming cities to gain territory, sneaking settlers into enemy space to cut off resources, that kind of thing. This is also related to their concept of city states in the game, which are a single city/settlement but are supposed to have an appreciable impact on the flow of the game, even while holding relatively insignificant space.

To balance the benefit of additional cities, they mainly attacked it in two ways. 1) They made happiness civ-wide rather than isolated to a single city, and the more your population grew, the more cities you had, the higher unhappiness you would have to deal with. Unfortunately, this removed a huge amount of strategy from maintaining cities, and keeping a balance between different types of production and keeping your citizens happy.
2) By increasing the amount of culture needed for your next bonus for each new city. This method might actually work if culture wasn't such a catch 22 in the game. You'll never get huge culture output without some advanced techs, and you'll never get these advanced techs without a ton of pop/science. I'm not competitive or anything, but AFAIK in most cases pursuing a cultural victory is still essentially futile compared to a science/military victory.

The unhappiness can be managed as long as you keep each city below a certain pop, however, and is hugely, hugely outweighed by the tremendous benefits you get in science from having large populations. The system they set up to make tighter, more focused empires win out actually resulted in rewarding people even more than in previous civs to pursue a strategy of infinite city sprawl. This was compounded by cities new defensive capabilities. At launch, the best possible strategy that could be pursued was to have as many cities as possible, 4 hexes away from each other, capped at a certain pop, sprawling the entire map. This was/is diametrically opposed to what the game's rules were supposed to encourage.

Another facet of this comes out in warfare. They give you a heavy unhappiness handicap when you conquer enemy cities thinking it would keep people from expanding too rapidly, but it simply makes the only sane course of action be to raze every city you capture and rebuild your own city there, which is incredibly boring and stupid.

So in sum, they removed a huge amount of strategy involved in previous civ games (and city flipping! one of the best parts of the series) in managing your cities and populations in an effort to change the dynamic of how your empire functioned, but the mechanics completely failed to do this, and the result was only a dumbing down of the series.

I don't want people to think that I HATE the game or something. It still does many things very well and is a pretty good game. It's just that the Civilization name carries some pretty lofty expectations, and this game failed to meet them somewhat spectacularly. It's a lot of fun, but it's just not that great of a strategy game. At least not yet. They should have some huge expansions out by now, but they seem more than content to make huge(ly expensive) DLC of varying quality. Over a year since the game is out and no sign of an expansion :(

Mengy

Sorry I kind of abandoned the thread - super busy with finals/final projects this past week.

So the entire thrust of the game was to give individual cities more character and importance, contrary to prior civ games where it was all about spamming cities to gain territory, sneaking settlers into enemy space to cut off resources, that kind of thing. This is also related to their concept of city states in the game, which are a single city/settlement but are supposed to have an appreciable impact on the flow of the game, even while holding relatively insignificant space.

To balance the benefit of additional cities, they mainly attacked it in two ways. 1) They made happiness civ-wide rather than isolated to a single city, and the more your population grew, the more cities you had, the higher unhappiness you would have to deal with. Unfortunately, this removed a huge amount of strategy from maintaining cities, and keeping a balance between different types of production and keeping your citizens happy.
2) By increasing the amount of culture needed for your next bonus for each new city. This method might actually work if culture wasn't such a catch 22 in the game. You'll never get huge culture output without some advanced techs, and you'll never get these advanced techs without a ton of pop/science. I'm not competitive or anything, but AFAIK in most cases pursuing a cultural victory is still essentially futile compared to a science/military victory.

The unhappiness can be managed as long as you keep each city below a certain pop, however, and is hugely, hugely outweighed by the tremendous benefits you get in science from having large populations. The system they set up to make tighter, more focused empires win out actually resulted in rewarding people even more than in previous civs to pursue a strategy of infinite city sprawl. This was compounded by cities new defensive capabilities. At launch, the best possible strategy that could be pursued was to have as many cities as possible, 4 hexes away from each other, capped at a certain pop, sprawling the entire map. This was/is diametrically opposed to what the game's rules were supposed to encourage.

Another facet of this comes out in warfare. They give you a heavy unhappiness handicap when you conquer enemy cities thinking it would keep people from expanding too rapidly, but it simply makes the only sane course of action be to raze every city you capture and rebuild your own city there, which is incredibly boring and stupid.

So in sum, they removed a huge amount of strategy involved in previous civ games (and city flipping! one of the best parts of the series) in managing your cities and populations in an effort to change the dynamic of how your empire functioned, but the mechanics completely failed to do this, and the result was only a dumbing down of the series.

I don't want people to think that I HATE the game or something. It still does many things very well and is a pretty good game. It's just that the Civilization name carries some pretty lofty expectations, and this game failed to meet them somewhat spectacularly. It's a lot of fun, but it's just not that great of a strategy game. At least not yet. They should have some huge expansions out by now, but they seem more than content to make huge(ly expensive) DLC of varying quality. Over a year since the game is out and no sign of an expansion :(

Yeah, I can agree with most of that. I enjoy Civ5, but in many ways I get the urge to play Civ4 instead sometimes, and I think a large reason for that is the "dumbing down" of the game like you describe above. I hate razing enemy cities that I conquer, but in Civ5 it pretty much has to happen. In Civ4 I could play any way I wanted to, in Civ5 I have to play a certain way or I get penalized (raze all captured cities, can't go for cultural victory, etc). Maybe thats the difference.

Civ5 was one a step forward but a step back at the same time, kind of like Civ3 was to Civ2 IMHO. Here is hoping that Civ6 will be a great many steps forward without going back again. Still, I do enjoy Civ5, but it definitely doesn't have the longetivity that previous Civ's did.

leroidys

Did they put in pitboss in this game yet? I couldn't seem to find it anywhere.

Not yet, still on its way.

Yeah, I can agree with most of that. I enjoy Civ5, but in many ways I get the urge to play Civ4 instead sometimes, and I think a large reason for that is the "dumbing down" of the game like you describe above. I hate razing enemy cities that I conquer, but in Civ5 it pretty much has to happen. In Civ4 I could play any way I wanted to, in Civ5 I have to play a certain way or I get penalized (raze all captured cities, can't go for cultural victory, etc). Maybe thats the difference.

Civ5 was one a step forward but a step back at the same time, kind of like Civ3 was to Civ2 IMHO. Here is hoping that Civ6 will be a great many steps forward without going back again. Still, I do enjoy Civ5, but it definitely doesn't have the longetivity that previous Civ's did.

Yeah that's a really good way to describe it. There's not really any risk/reward of trying crazy strategies and exploring new things. The tech tree is so small and the mechanics are so restricting that you pretty much have to play the same game every time.

Top Bottom