• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

CzarTim

sCtH2.jpg

Seriously. Playing on a large map. I've only met 2 civs. Been doing culture/religion to try it out. (Barely had any war units.) Never declared war on anyone. lol

MasLegio

Banned
Agreed. It's what I miss most from the old civ games. It's hard to communicate with the AI and figure out their intentions.

yes, last week a civ requested to sign friendship with me. I agreed.... only to have the civ start war against me the next turn

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
yes, last week a civ requested to sign friendship with me. I agreed.... only to have the civ start war against me the next turn

Only one answer to that. Stomp them until they are no more.

Gaspode_T

i think I am enjoying Civ V more than Diablo 3...

I money hatted the neighboring state and they became Best Friends Forever...but after like 5 or 6 turns the status went neutral and then broke friendship...pretty much a waste of money in early parts of the game?

I feel like the map is a little bit crowded at times but on the other hand if it was too hard to meet barbarians or other city states it would probably seem boring for the first few hours.

Sblargh

Banned
i think I am enjoying Civ V more than Diablo 3...

I money hatted the neighboring state and they became Best Friends Forever...but after like 5 or 6 turns the status went neutral and then broke friendship...pretty much a waste of money in early parts of the game?

I feel like the map is a little bit crowded at times but on the other hand if it was too hard to meet barbarians or other city states it would probably seem boring for the first few hours.

You really can only effectively money hat city states late in the game; in the beggining you have to either stomp them, ignore them or do their quests.

Chairhome

Planning on getting Gods and Kings this weekend, pretty excited.

I'm kind of new to the whole multiplayer thing, is there an alternating turn multiplayer? Just wondering cause my brother recently moved to another state (was living with us) and I got him Civ V as a gift so we could play together, but our times usually won't sync up when we want to play. I thought i had heard of some method where we could play at different times but in the same game, but I'm not sure if that's a Civ IV only feature or what. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Juice

I'm *super* confused about how to bombard land units with ships. I got a Carrier unit, promoted it to increase strength against land units, but it has no action to bombard / attack land units. WTF?

alazz

Did anyone else notice that you can see the founder of existing religions while adding a belief or founding a religion, even if you haven't met the civ yet?

I didn't take a screenshot, and I'm not up for another prophet for a while. But it could be useful, while not game breaking.

leroidys

I'm *super* confused about how to bombard land units with ships. I got a Carrier unit, promoted it to increase strength against land units, but it has no action to bombard / attack land units. WTF?

I don't have the expansion yet, but in vanilla carriers don't attack. You have to load them with aircraft, then the aircraft take off from it and attack targets.

Sblargh

Banned
I'm on turn 101 of first game on the expansion and while the war with Rome is going well, I have seen no difference whatsoever to vanilla. Yes, there is religion, but I'm still at 0 faith points and unless faith buildings somehow overlap with the domination strategy I'm going, I see myself as a conquering atheist for the rest of the game.

zoku88

Wow, I'm playing the first game of this expansion, and wow, triremes not having ranged attack while makes it harder for me to explore during the early stages of an island @_@

XeroSauce

Wow, I'm playing the first game of this expansion, and wow, triremes not having ranged attack while makes it harder for me to explore during the early stages of an island @_@
Damn, that sounds horrible. Having a dual Trireme exploration group was amazing early game on Islands.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm on turn 101 of first game on the expansion and while the war with Rome is going well, I have seen no difference whatsoever to vanilla. Yes, there is religion, but I'm still at 0 faith points and unless faith buildings somehow overlap with the domination strategy I'm going, I see myself as a conquering atheist for the rest of the game.

That sounds funny for the irony of it, but also disturbing for the new religion stuff not really making a difference in your game. Is it like not integrated into the game well or something?

That sounds funny for the irony of it, but also disturbing for the new religion stuff not really making a difference in your game. Is it like not integrated into the game well or something?
It's integrated fine, you'd have to deliberately avoid building faith generating buildings to do that. It makes a difference, the bonuses make the game easier because it's yet another thing a player can manage so much better than the AI.

Sblargh

Banned
Ok, on turn 250 and I found a religion (zoroatrism) and it is spreading.
You know, I saw some review saying that the point is that religion starts to lose purpose at the same time spying starts to gain; so in my game is not like this; I have a single spy that is helping out quite nicely by stealing tech from the greeks (also, one review said that gaining vision wasn't important because the units are all on the map, but spionage, to me, is something to do with people you are at peace; so since you don't have actual units on the neighborhood, vision of what is sorrounding the capital is very important imo).
I think if I wanted, I could have religion be more important earlier, so the overlap with spionage didn't happen, but I didn't see advantage to building a shrine over barracks and units; otoh, if I was going for culture or science, than I would totally see myself pushing for religion.

SRG01

Damn, that sounds horrible. Having a dual Trireme exploration group was amazing early game on Islands.

I think they're naval melee units now, so they can actually attack and take cities.

Ok, on turn 250 and I found a religion (zoroatrism) and it is spreading.
You know, I saw some review saying that the point is that religion starts to lose purpose at the same time spying starts to gain; so in my game is not like this; I have a single spy that is helping out quite nicely by stealing tech from the greeks (also, one review said that gaining vision wasn't important because the units are all on the map, but spionage, to me, is something to do with people you are at peace; so since you don't have actual units on the neighborhood, vision of what is sorrounding the capital is very important imo).
I think if I wanted, I could have religion be more important earlier, so the overlap with spionage didn't happen, but I didn't see advantage to building a shrine over barracks and units; otoh, if I was going for culture or science, than I would totally see myself pushing for religion.

Religion is also an effective way to disrupt another player's game. Nothing like popping Great Prophets and converting opponent cities (AND removing other religions) at the same time. GPs don't suffer attrition either :)

Shane86

I see they still haven't fixed diplomacy. I don't even bother declaring friendship with anyone any more because the relationship is completely one-sided. They demand resources or gold from you whenever they want and if you don't give it to them they get pissed. But if you ask for anything they get mad that you demanded something from them and won't give it to you, where is the "ask kindly" option?

Same when they start a war with someone and you refuse to join in they get mad....If you're at war with someone else and they refuse to help you, they aren't reprimanded for it.

Also I don't quite see the benefit to religion, is there a bonus for spreading my religion to as many opponent cities as possible?

On a positive note, doing quests for city states is actually worthwhile now, you get 40 influence for each one.

Spies are a bit disappointing, I was expecting invisible units that I can send into cities and mess things up but all I get is a menu?

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
played as the Swedes on normal so I could learn the mechanics. They have a friendship bonus (10% quicker great people for both parties) and civs were practically falling over themselves to be friends with me. This was great as I was next door to a massive Byzantine empire that could have crushed me at any second but was content to let my small empire power to a culture victory.

Anyway, overall, I'm not really feeling the changes. They seem to be very low level and don't justify the high price of the expansion.

Danj

Oh cool, turns out I preordered the expansion at the end of last month and it just shipped, I should have it on Monday, woot!

Really disappointed with the expansion. The religion feels like a mundane chore. I like that some techs, buildings, resources, etc were added, but I feel a little ripped off here.

Also, they took out culture bombs, which was one of my favorite weapons.

+Aliken+

Really disappointed with the expansion. The religion feels like a mundane chore. I like that some techs, buildings, resources, etc were added, but I feel a little ripped off here.

Exact opposite opinion, love the religion and diplomacy additions.

Expect culture bombs, damn those where fun :eek:

Yaska

Religion makes the game darn easy if you manage it well imo. Every single citystate I've spread my religion into is now my friend by default, so with militaristic city states I'm getting ridiculous amount of free units for my warfare.

Hambone

Religion makes the game darn easy if you manage it well imo. Every single citystate I've spread my religion into is now my friend by default, so with militaristic city states I'm getting ridiculous amount of free units for my warfare.

I won a culture victory with Boudica, and the only thing that kept me from getting steamrolled by Caesar was the gifted units from city-states that I spread my religion to. I also had to keep a some permanent spies in the neighboring city-states as fucking Caesar was trying to undermine them away from me.

Fun game. Squeaked out the win with only two turns left. What a nail biter. I really like the way religion was used in this game, and took full advantage of spreading "Hambonism" (yes, you can name your own religion, and choose the benefits that go with it!)to all of the world. I like the addition of spying, I just wish you could do more with it other than passively directing your spies to different cities.

Firebrand

You can steal territory in a similar manner with the citadels now.

Seronei

So apparently if you're slow with faith you will never found a pantheon... Sitting at turn 242 and 1600 faith banked up and a great prohpet waiting for pantheon so that I can start catching up in the religion war. Starting to give up hope of it ever happening -.-

AkuMifune

Banned
Hey, I've got a free day, maybe I should try Civ 5. I haven't played a Civ game in years...16 hours straight later...wow I just lost a 500-turn game. Maybe I should try that again. SLOWER and HARDER. After all, Hiawatha demands revenge.

What a fucking game.

Guesong

So none of you guys have any problem when reloading a multiplayer save?

It's been a constant problem since before G&K for me and my friend...we can start a game just fine, but when we try to resume it later on, it will NEVER work.

Well before there was a chance it'd work but our civilizations swapped...but now it's constant "Civ5 has stopped working" when we try to load it up.

It's aggravating.

Makes me wish they didn't bother with G&K and went directly to a new engine for CiV6.

balddemon

Banned
So none of you guys have any problem when reloading a multiplayer save?

It's been a constant problem since before G&K for me and my friend...we can start a game just fine, but when we try to resume it later on, it will NEVER work.

Well before there was a chance it'd work but our civilizations swapped...but now it's constant "Civ5 has stopped working" when we try to load it up.

It's aggravating.

Makes me wish they didn't bother with G&K and went directly to a new engine for CiV6.

me and a friend have been playing. i saved the game and reopened and hosted and it put us right back where we were. are you having the same person opening and hosting the game each time?

Guesong

me and a friend have been playing. i saved the game and reopened and hosted and it put us right back where we were. are you having the same person opening and hosting the game each time?

Yep. We tried me hosting, him hosting, putting everything on low setting, changing firewalls options...nothing works.

Can't believe this game ever passed QA. I can find numerous posts about it on the Internet, but no one has a concrete solution.

EDIT : And apparantly I can't even load up my single player games, it also crashes! T_T

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yep. We tried me hosting, him hosting, putting everything on low setting, changing firewalls options...nothing works.

Can't believe this game ever passed QA. I can find numerous posts about it on the Internet, but no one has a concrete solution.

EDIT : And apparantly I can't even load up my single player games, it also crashes! T_T

Didn't you mention earlier in the the thread that the game was never really stable for you, even pre-expansion? I wonder if its related with your hardware setup, as I never had a lot of crashes.

Guesong

Didn't you mention earlier in the the thread that the game was never really stable for you, even pre-expansion? I wonder if its related with your hardware setup, as I never had a lot of crashes.

Well, I actually solved the mystery today despite all my bitching. Another thread sparked the idea.

Turns out Civ wasn't digesting the fact that my name had an accent in it, so when it tried to load up a save (that are always under C: Documents and Settings / NAME / Sid Meier....), it always crashed because my name has a É in it. So when he used that file path to load up what it needed...no go.

Changed it, works flawlessly now, and after one year of troubles, I can finally play Civ and resume games!

Can't believe it was so stupid all along.

Danj

My copy of Gods and Kings arrived at work today (several days later than expected), fortunately I'd left Steam running at home so I remoted in and entered the key and it's now installed ready for me to try when I get home :)

Danj

If I haven't picked up Civ 5 yet is it worth picking up both it and the expansion right away?

There'll probably be a deal on Civ 5 base game at least in the Steam Sale (expected Thursday) so I'd wait a couple days. It's Steamworks, so wherever you buy it from you can activate on Steam.

Artanisix

Are there any good beginner guides to Civ 5? Complete newbie to the game and the series. It's a lot of fun, but I'm very bad at it and am falling behind against level 2 AI right now.

Top Bottom