• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

Yeah, I could use some advice too. Here is my deck. I feel like I should replace the skeleton bomber maybe with goblin spears? Or minions

-Prince
-Musketeer
-Archers
-Valkyrie
-giant Skeleton
- mini pekka
-bomber
-fireball
Seems like a decent enough deck, you winning some games with it?

I'm only in arena 3 so I'm maybe not the best to give you advice but I would substitute one of your cards for a swarm card like skeletons. That's just me personally though, I like to have at least one swarm card on hand to fend off Giants and pekkas.

Pastry

Banned
Seems like a decent enough deck, you winning some games with it?

I'm only in arena 3 so I'm maybe not the best to give you advice but I would substitute one of your cards for a swarm card like skeletons. That's just me personally though, I like to have at least one swarm card on hand to fend off Giants and pekkas.

Just got the giant skeleton so haven't tried too much yet. I'll try goblin spears before skels because I want anti-air too. Probably replace the bomber with those.

Tagyhag

Just started playing, I have probably over 50 hours on Clash of Clans and Boom Beach each without paying so I'm confident I'll do the same here.

It's a lot of fun so far, but losing by a fireball during sudden death is so frustrating lol. Will keep at it and hopefully join a GAF clan when I reach 3.

I only just squeaked by into arena 4, but Skeleton Army Plus Prince is a nice little combo if you can get them to commit to a side and defend it enough while saving up the 9 elixer

Any tips on managing a good clan? This is my first time, never played Clash of Clans in the past.

I made the clan invite only as suggested.

I would say check the donation amounts each week or so since your starting out to see whos inactive. Once a good amount of GAFfers solidfy themselves you can let the clan manage itself. Always ask for donations and always donate, it helps everyone out.

Here's something I've noticed. I should always play before I go to bed and never play when I wake up in the morning. The splits tell a compelling story!

killroy87

What are some cards you guys feel your deck can't live without? For me it's Goblin Hut and Prince. I'm open to anything, but I can't imagine a scenario where I wouldn't want those guys in my hand.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hog Rider because like many here I get nervous about building-heavy builds and really like to aggro xbow and the like. Elixir Collector because I like to sit back and gain an Elixir edge when I can. I could imagine swapping most others out, but I have been playing Baby Dragon and Goblins really consistently. The rest are pretty interchangeable. I could get rid of Goblins for some other cheap unit. Inferno Tower is a total flex play mostly in there to synergize with my camping. Witch I like the little skeletons she spawns to slow down Knights and the like but there are tons of decent options at that cost, and Arrows could be anything but they're cheap so I like that.

Looking at the top decks on TV Royale right now, they're some of the most homogenous I've seen since I've been watching closely. Arrows, Elixir Collector, Goblins, Hog Rider, Valkyrie in almost all of them. Man do I hate playing Freeze, except when one little guy sneaks out from under it or my Elixir is good and I've got the right unit to put in defense. :p

What are some cards you guys feel your deck can't live without? For me it's Goblin Hut and Prince. I'm open to anything, but I can't imagine a scenario where I wouldn't want those guys in my hand.

Really? Prince can always be countered by a skeleton horde or tombstone easily IMO. Then again I still don't have a Prince but even if I didn't I currently wouldn't put him in my deck. Goblin Hut doesn't fly for me either because I don't run a Hut deck.

Personally, like Breezy said Musketeer is a fantastic card. Musketeer and Witch are probably my favorite and go-to cards.

Also, does anyone know how the Card shop rotate its cards? So far I've only seen the same 5 epics rotated every single day. Like I have never seen any besides the same 5 over and over, and sometimes it will have the same one back to back lol.

Really? Prince can always be countered by a skeleton horde or tombstone easily IMO. Then again I still don't have a Prince but even if I didn't I currently wouldn't put him in my deck. Goblin Hut doesn't fly for me either because I don't run a Hut deck.

Personally, like Breezy said Musketeer is a fantastic card. Musketeer and Witch are probably my favorite and go-to cards.

Also, does anyone know how the Card shop rotate its cards? So far I've only seen the same 5 epics rotated every single day. Like I have never seen any besides the same 5 over and over, and sometimes it will have the same one back to back lol.

Idk about the shop. I've seen the same epics too, I think the sold epics cap out at POison from arena 5?

So the possible choices(I've seen) and I think that are overall the only ones sold for gold are-
Poison
Pekka
Freeze
Xbow
Rage
Air Balloon
Skele Giant
Barrel
Lightning

And the ones from the first arena.

Which is the majority of them..

Dreavus

Just started this. The timers on the chests seem a little out of whack. You basically play once and then shut it down for the day, or even longer than that considered you can hold up to four. I guess that's what they want you to do unless you're spending money? Is 3 hours the shortest one?

Sorry if this has been discussed.

The game itself seems pretty interesting, there's some strategy in how long you build up mana and setting up combos (like throwing a bunch of stuff behind a giant). I'll keep at it for a bit but I get the feeling those timers don't get any less painful.

djp6

Just started this. The timers on the chests seem a little out of whack. You basically play once and then shut it down for the day, or even longer than that considered you can hold up to four. I guess that's what they want you to do unless you're spending money? Is 3 hours the shortest one?

The game itself seems pretty interesting, there's some strategy in how long you build up mana and setting up combos (like throwing a bunch of stuff behind a giant). I'll keep at it for a bit but I get the feeling those
timers don't get any less painful.

Three hours is the shortest I have seen then 8 and 12 the wait times are ridiculous

Three hours is the shortest I have seen then 8 and 12 the wait times are ridiculous

I make a game out of picking which chest to wait for. So for an 8 or 12 hour chest, I obviously try to time it so it opens over my nightly sleep, just about when I wake up, if possible. That allows me to open more 3 hour chests during the day, with less down time with no chests opening overall.

Rodelero

The game itself seems pretty interesting, there's some strategy in how long you build up mana and setting up combos (like throwing a bunch of stuff behind a giant). I'll keep at it for a bit but I get the feeling those timers don't get any less painful.

As time goes on you'll find that it takes longer to get the chests and crowns you need to maximise your rewards. Of the chests you win, Silver chests have a three hour timer, Gold chests have an eight hour timer, Giant and Magical chests have a twelve hour timer and the Super Magical chest has a twenty-four hour timer.

You also want to get ten crowns per day to unlock your Crown Chest, and once your rank settles a bit you'll find that can take some time to get. It depends somewhat on how aggressively you play, but ten crowns will take some time if you're only winning half your matches. You also get six free chests a day, every four hours, which you can simply log on to unlock, and once you are in a clan you can request a card (ten commons or one rare) every eight hours. Don't underestimate the value of requesting for cards and donating them. Requesting cards has, for me, been the most efficient way of upgrading my common and rare cards.

If you're in an active clan, donating cards is likely to be one of your main sources of income and likely your #1 source of XP (which leads to your towers being upgraded). It is the one thing that makes it worth logging on quite frequently, as the only limit on donation is that you can only donate cards of 60 value per day (common = 1, rare = 10). I would caution you from donating anything, particularly rare cards, that you think you might end up using. You'll regret it later.

There is one other key reason to play, which is to increase your trophies. Higher trophies means higher arena, and higher arena means better chests (they have more gold in them, and they can contain a wider variety of cards as well as actually having more cards in them). If you feel like you could push yourself up to the next arena with a longer session of play, go for it.

If you really hate waiting for chests, you can pay to unlock them with gems but I think it's not particularly efficient compared to converting gems to gold. For what it's worth, I believe there is some indication they may be adding some kind of reward (presumably pretty minor) for winning games even when you have full chests. I suppose there will be an update coming in the next few weeks, maybe it will have this.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Sorry if this has been discussed? It's the freaking title of this OT! :p While I agree that it'd be great if we got something if we win and are full on chests (I think they are going to introduce gold for wins), I'd never quit over that. They still allow you to play as much as your heart desires for free, and the game is pretty fun. You can always try out new strategies.

Hey Gaf, so I gave this a try yesterday and its been intriguing to say the least, still not sure what cards to use however. I got myself a goblin hut, skeleton army and musketeer. Guessing those are good cards to keep right?

Agent

This game sometimes, when you hit the wall, you really hit the wall. I've been steamrolling people the last few days and shot up to 2349 trophies. This morning, with the same deck, I am getting demolished like I've never played the game before and have lost 290 trophies. It's not even a certain deck type I keep losing to, it is just everything. The same deck types I was smashing I can't even get a single tower with.

Time to head to the drawing board on deck setup.

Hey Gaf, so I gave this a try yesterday and its been intriguing to say the least, still not sure what cards to use however. I got myself a goblin hut, skeleton army and musketeer. Guessing those are good cards to keep right?

I've tried the Goblin Hut, but I'm just not sure how to utilize it strategically. Doesn't seem like a great card to me, but I'm sure some people like it.

Skeleton Army is sweet. Musketeer is fine, but for some reason I've preferred Archers and Spear Goblins over her.

This game sometimes, when you hit the wall, you really hit the wall. I've been steamrolling people the last few days and shot up to 2349 trophies. This morning, with the same deck, I am getting demolished like I've never played the game before and have lost 290 trophies. It's not even a certain deck type I keep losing,to, it is just everything. The same deck types I was smashing I can't even get a single tower with.

Noe I am the Clash Royale King!

...lol nk but I find its good to take a break when youre on a losing streak. Sometimes you just tilt badly.

How does it work? I feel like I should've bought it when I saw it a few days ago now..

I'm still running Giant + Balloon deck

Its an aoe drop like freze or rage, but for 10 seconds it slows and does damage over time. Pretty decent, ruins units with less than 400 hp if they have to walk through it, slows big units to a crawl. Counters skeleton army/any mass of units, hits both air and ground. Can be laid on buildings, and it covers a big area

commish

I need to watch some replays of how people use the Valkyrie strategically, cuz I just seem to send her out to die.

Most people just seem to drop here in the middle of grouped up enemies and she goes to work. I've also seen her used in combination with freeze to kill particularly large groups of enemies.

This game sometimes, when you hit the wall, you really hit the wall. I've been steamrolling people the last few days and shot up to 2349 trophies. This morning, with the same deck, I am getting demolished like I've never played the game before and have lost 290 trophies. It's not even a certain deck type I keep losing to, it is just everything. The same deck types I was smashing I can't even get a single tower with.

Yeah, I've lost hundreds of cups in a setting. Happens. I still have a sneaking suspicion that it'll match you up against decks with obvious counters, but maybe I'm paranoid. :)

Poison is a top tier card.

It provides damage and CC while being aoe. Damn versatile card.

I never used it until this weekend, and I am trying to fit it into my deck. Seems so good.

Agent

Noe I am the Clash Royale King!

...lol nk but I find its good to take a break when youre on a losing streak. Sometimes you just tilt badly.

giphy.gif

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Sorry if this has been discussed? It's the freaking title of this OT! :p While I agree that it'd be great if we got something if we win and are full on chests (I think they are going to introduce gold for wins), I'd never quit over that. They still allow you to play as much as your heart desires for free, and the game is pretty fun. You can always try out new strategies.

I honestly get that people want to go completely free. I think that's the 99% case. But at the same time when I play a really good F2P or close to F2P game like Kingdom Rush or this, I don't think there's anything wrong with putting down a few bucks. I mean the game is great. And a few bucks will give you enough gems to unlock chests until your heart's content. Not saying people must do it or anything, just think there's nothing wrong with it from either side.

commish

I honestly get that people want to go completely free. I think that's the 99% case. But at the same time when I play a really good F2P or close to F2P game like Kingdom Rush or this, I don't think there's anything wrong with putting down a few bucks. I mean the game is great. And a few bucks will give you enough gems to unlock chests until your heart's content. Not saying people must do it or anything, just think there's nothing wrong with it from either side.

Totally agree, but there are so many people who have a real issue with spending money on these types of F2P games. I guess it's a mental thing, but if you think about it rationally, spending $20 will allow you to open nearly 140 silver chests whenever you want to play. That would last someone weeks/months. When you think about how many hours you put into this game, it's a pretty good value for your money. I mean, we've all spent $50 to $60 on games that we finish in 10 hours :p

Idk about the shop. I've seen the same epics too, I think the sold epics cap out at POison from arena 5?

So the possible choices(I've seen) and I think that are overall the only ones sold for gold are-
Poison
Pekka
Freeze
Xbow
Rage
Air Balloon
Skele Giant
Barrel
Lightning

And the ones from the first arena.

Which is the majority of them..

Interesting. I've only seen PEKKA, Poison, Freeze, Rage and Baby Dragon rotating over and over lol. Didn't know you can't get any higher than Arena 5 though, that would be interesting.

Also I can tell since I am at the edge of Arena 7 I'm probably going to have to start switching my strategy up. I just got hit with my first Prince and Dark Prince combo, luckily I had a tombstone and barbarians ready but I'm definitely going to have to start adapting to these higher level cards too.

Dreavus

As time goes on you'll find that it takes longer to get the chests and crowns you need to maximise your rewards. Of the chests you win, Silver chests have a three hour timer, Gold chests have an eight hour timer, Giant and Magical chests have a twelve hour timer and the Super Magical chest has a twenty-four hour timer.

You also want to get ten crowns per day to unlock your Crown Chest, and once your rank settles a bit you'll find that can take some time to get. It depends somewhat on how aggressively you play, but ten crowns will take some time if you're only winning half your matches. You also get six free chests a day, every four hours, which you can simply log on to unlock, and once you are in a clan you can request a card (ten commons or one rare) every eight hours. Don't underestimate the value of requesting for cards and donating them. Requesting cards has, for me, been the most efficient way of upgrading my common and rare cards.

If you're in an active clan, donating cards is likely to be one of your main sources of income and likely your #1 source of XP (which leads to your towers being upgraded). It is the one thing that makes it worth logging on quite frequently, as the only limit on donation is that you can only donate cards of 60 value per day (common = 1, rare = 10). I would caution you from donating anything, particularly rare cards, that you think you might end up using. You'll regret it later.

There is one other key reason to play, which is to increase your trophies. Higher trophies means higher arena, and higher arena means better chests (they have more gold in them, and they can contain a wider variety of cards as well as actually having more cards in them). If you feel like you could push yourself up to the next arena with a longer session of play, go for it.

If you really hate waiting for chests, you can pay to unlock them with gems but I think it's not particularly efficient compared to converting gems to gold. For what it's worth, I believe there is some indication they may be adding some kind of reward (presumably pretty minor) for winning games even when you have full chests. I suppose there will be an update coming in the next few weeks, maybe it will have this.

Thanks, this actually really helps contextualize the game for me.

I suppose the game is a little more timer-focused than something like Final Fantasy Record Keeper (the other primary mobile game I've been playing) so it's just different to what I'm used to.

Interesting. I've only seen PEKKA, Poison, Freeze, Rage and Baby Dragon rotating over and over lol. Didn't know you can't get any higher than Arena 5 though, that would be interesting.

I want to say that your own use of epics determines whats in the store.

Like, I never use pekka and Ive seen him thrice. I use freeze and until recently prince constantly so I wouldnt see those two at all. I want to say the more you use a certain card the less likely itll show up, but Im sure thats just my confirmation bias.

OneTwoTee

Banned
Trying to get up to the 1400 trophy line. It's particularly frustrating when I'm only at 1250 and get paired up with someone who's at 1375, is level 7 and has most of the cards from the next arena.

Rolling with this at the moment:

Spear Goblins Lvl 6
Bomber Lvl 7
Musketeer Lvl 4
Hog Rider Lvl 3
Arrows Lvl 7
Baby Dragon Lvl 1
Prince Lvl 2
Skeleton Army Lvl 1

Any suggestions?

Trying to get up to the 1400 trophy line. It's particularly frustrating when I'm only at 1250 and get paired up with someone who's at 1375, is level 7 and has most of the cards from the next arena.

Rolling with this at the moment:

Spear Goblins Lvl 6
Bomber Lvl 7
Musketeer Lvl 4
Hog Rider Lvl 3
Arrows Lvl 7
Baby Dragon Lvl 1
Prince Lvl 2
Skeleton Army Lvl 1

Any suggestions?

How do you attack when someone knows how to counter the prince?
How do you defend against a baloon or hog/freeze?

I think you need at least one defensive building in there and the hogs seems like a waste since it doesn't really go together with any of the other cards.

Maybe switch bomber for bomb tower and hog for giant.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I kinda wish everything would just reset to 0 every season like how Hearthstone does. Sure there would be lots of squash matches as people worked their way up but it would be fun to just mix it up completely for a few days. Right now I feel like I'm kind of capped out in terms of advancing. As in I feel like I'll probably lose to most people at my current rank and I kind of have the cards I want so makes me reluctant to play. :p

JoeNut

Got a pretty solid deck now, bomb hut is my favourite card along with hog rider, the hut attracts Giants and the like so saves your tower, and once your opponent has put down a group you can throw the hog on the opposite side and he'll take a solid 500-1000 damage off their tower

Top Bottom