• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

Say you have full four chest and 0 out of 10 crown chest, there is no way you can get a giant, magical or super magical chest in this case then.

Yup.

But the chests fall in a set order-That is, there is a 1% chance to get a super magical chest, otherwise the giant and magical chests drop at intervals as seen here-
http://www.levelbased.com/guides/clash-royale/treasure-chests/#cycle

If you're full on chests, it doesn't jump ahead or anything, you'll continue where you left off(So let's say you're 1 win before a gold chest but you're full, then the next time you have an open slot you'll still get a gold chest even if you played 10 games)

Xamdou

Yup.

But the chests fall in a set order-That is, there is a 1% chance to get a super magical chest, otherwise the giant and magical chests drop at intervals as seen here-

If you're full on chests, it doesn't jump ahead or anything, you'll continue where you left off(So let's say you're 1 win before a gold chest but you're full, then the next time you have an open slot you'll still get a gold chest even if you played 10 games)

Cool! Good to know.

SeanR1221

Yup.

I'm going to sound dumb but I have no idea what this means....can you explain it like Im 5 years old?

Also, what do you guys think of my deck? Any adjustments??

mIZEBfj.jpg

nSzBewD.jpg

I'm going to sound dumb but I have no idea what this means....can you explain it like Im 5 years old?

No problem!

So let's say you're 1 win from a gold chest. But you have 4 silver chests waiting to be unlocked. Their system prevents you from moving forward in the order of drops-That is no matter how many games you play where you don't get chests, you'll always get a gold chest next.

Numerically, uh, let's say these are your chests waiting to be unlocked-
#10-#11-#12-#13

And the next win you get, the chest you're suppose to be getting is #14. But since you're full on chests, that means you can't get chest #14. So it'll save your progress, meaning that no matter how many times you win, as long as you don't have space, you won't move forward in numbers, meaning that when you do have space for a chest that it will always be #14 next and not say...#24 because you played 10 games beforehand.

SeanR1221

No problem!

So let's say you're 1 win from a gold chest. But you have 4 silver chests waiting to be unlocked. Their system prevents you from moving forward in the order of drops-That is no matter how many games you play where you don't get chests, you'll always get a gold chest next.

Numerically, uh, let's say these are your chests waiting to be unlocked-
#10-#11-#12-#13

And the next win you get, the chest you're suppose to be getting is #14. But since you're full on chests, that means you can't get chest #14. So it'll save your progress, meaning that no matter how many times you win, as long as you don't have space, you won't move forward in numbers, meaning that when you do have space for a chest that it will always be #14 next and not say...#24 because you played 10 games beforehand.

Got it!

Do wins effect this? Or is it just matches played?

ElyrionX

Just got my first magical chest......in arena 1. Meh. Maybe I should have tried ranking up despite having my chest slots full last night.

totowhoa

Banned
Thanks to whoomp for accepting me into one of the many GAF clans. Was glad to get to give some cards and receive so many in such short order!

Hmm...tomorrow I think I'll write an in depth guide on starting moves, elixir management(My last post on it was more rambling than actual cohesive construction).

totowhoa

Banned
Yeah... I'd kill for a prince or witch. They both seem fantastic with the right support. I love my Baby Dragon, but it feels pretty all-around.

Faced against my first hut deck. While it was a little rough at the beginning a musketeer and a witch behind a giant proved to be a good counter. It overpowered his right lane and won me the match. The guy was too focused on split pushing and it really turned against him.

I'm the 1500 trophy range now. I feel I am punching slightly above my weight because I am lvl6 but almost all my opponents are lvl7. Some lvl8. Holding my own for now though.

I'm playing a minion deck. Both 3 elixir and 5 elixir minion horde. Tanks to push them up. I find it super effective when capitalizing on opponent mistakes.A mistake against a minon deck is any time an opponent blows any of the counters too early.

I used to think minions were super weak. When I was lower levels, I laughed at them because arrows or fireball could wipe them out so easy. But it is all about timing. Timing is life or death with this deck. The trick is to play them only after they have blown their arrows or fireball or whatever counter. And if they don't have a counter, they are toast.. When backed up by a tank, minions are freaking devastating. Especially when they are lvled up a bit. Mine are both at lvl6.

Sometimes I will throw out 3 minions to bait out arrows. And then immediately throw down minion hoard. And it is just devastating on players that don't realize you are rocking both,

I don't even roll with arrows or fireball in my deck currently. When someone plays minions against me. my counter is baby dragon. When used correctly can take out a minon horde and still just keep truckin. This gives a huge elixer advantage. Same against skeleton horde. Dragon is a great counter to minons. But at the same time they are super weak against minions if they are already locked on to another target. So timing and placement is everything.

yatesl

Baby Dragon and Price are my white whales. Everyone seems to have them and the Dragon destroys me unless I have a musketeer ready.

Skeleton Giant would be nice too, but those 2 I need.

Nerokis

Really? Prince can always be countered by a skeleton horde or tombstone easily IMO. Then again I still don't have a Prince but even if I didn't I currently wouldn't put him in my deck. Goblin Hut doesn't fly for me either because I don't run a Hut deck.

Yeah, it's not hard to counter Prince, but it's also not hard most of the time to find opportunities to use it. For example, your opponent throws down an expensive wave of cards, a single Prince on the opposite lane can heavily punish them, and at the same time leave you with options defensively. It's relatively inexpensive considering how much damage it can do so suddenly, so whenever you can manage to work around its weaknesses, it's amazing. And arrows counter a lot of the Prince counters.

Also, something neat I caught on TV Royale: some players will put down a high HP card, like Pekka, and then throw a Prince behind them. The Prince will start charging, catch up, but remain stuck behind the high HP card. Until I saw that, I didn't even think about how collision detection could be a factor within the game.

Also, something neat I caught on TV Royale: some players will put down a high HP card, like Pekka, and then throw a Prince behind them. The Prince will start charging, catch up, but remain stuck behind the high HP card. Until I saw that, I didn't even think about how collision detection could be a factor within the game.

Aha! This is finally getting out. I found that a week ago, but I always found it as a niche use.

There is a trick to it. If you put a Prince behind a Knight for example, the Prince will speed the Knight up with him-Literally making him a meatshield. He'll push the knight up with him to the tower. It's pretty funny.(You can try it out in practice mode!)

This is dependent on mass though. A knight can't charge up a Giant, for example. But a Giant can push smaller units in front of him(IE a princess shooting from your side of the bridge if you're not careful). Like wise, a mass of small units can effectively bodyblock bigger cards(IE skele army can effectively block a giant and make it slower.)

I'm sure there's more interactions like that, but I haven't tried any out.

Nerokis

Aha! This is finally getting out. I found that a week ago, but I always found it as a niche use.

There is a trick to it. If you put a Prince behind a Knight for example, the Prince will speed the Knight up with him-Literally making him a meatshield. He'll push the knight up with him to the tower. It's pretty funny.(You can try it out in practice mode!)

This is dependent on mass though. A knight can't charge up a Giant, for example. But a Giant can push smaller units in front of him(IE a princess shooting from your side of the bridge if you're not careful). Like wise, a mass of small units can effectively bodyblock bigger cards(IE skele army can effectively block a giant and make it slower.)

I'm sure there's more interactions like that, but I haven't tried any out.

It does seem rare. I've only noticed it in one match, but both players were doing it. One with Pekka/Prince, and the other with Golem/Prince. It threw me off when I first saw it, lol.

I gave the Knight thing a shot, and wow, that's pretty cool. I mean, it's probably incredibly situational, but it's nice that you can do it. I'm surprised I don't see people working with these kind of interactions more often. Or maybe I do, and I just haven't noticed.

It does seem rare. I've only noticed it in one match, but both players were doing it. One with Pekka/Prince, and the other with Golem/Prince. It threw me off when I first saw it, lol.

I gave the Knight thing a shot, and wow, that's pretty cool. I mean, it's probably incredibly situational, but it's nice that you can do it. I'm surprised I don't see people working with these kind of interactions more often. Or maybe I do, and I just haven't noticed.

It's a completely niche use. The only time I've noticed it was against one other player, and I was able to emulate it fairly quickly.

I'm sure you could make it work though lol, just dunno how. Knights can also probably push mini-Pekkas too since they're fairly small.

JoeNut

Can't get past 1200 trophies, guess i just need to level some of my cards up, im smashing everyone up until i get to 1200, then seem to hit a wall

SeanR1221

Breezy you give great advice. I thought I needed the hoard for the knight/giant but using the basic skeletons/bomber skeletons and minions l can take them down way faster. Throw in a musketeer and you've got some aditional damage to the tower

Agent

Royal Giants are like the unicorns of Clash Royale. I've played quite a few games (highest trophy level is 2349) and I still have never come across anyone using it. That's even with the 20% damage buff with the last update. I honestly didn't even know what it looked like until I got it the other day.

I almost want to try using it, but I honestly don't really see any place it fits into a deck. It doesn't seem to do anything good, and has a high cost. Almost every other card you can justify why it would be important to a deck, but Royal Giant...???

Alo0oy

Banned
So no more GAF clans available? Should I make one?

EDIT: I just made one, it's "NeoGAF", uppercase "N" and "GAF".

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Royal Giants are like the unicorns of Clash Royale. I've played quite a few games (highest trophy level is 2349) and I still have never come across anyone using it. That's even with the 20% damage buff with the last update. I honestly didn't even know what it looked like until I got it the other day.

I almost want to try using it, but I honestly don't really see any place it fits into a deck. It doesn't seem to do anything good, and has a high cost. Almost every other card you can justify why it would be important to a deck, but Royal Giant...???

Other cards are just better for the cost. I have a guildmate who always uses Royal Giant and he's at 3200+ cups, so I'm guessing it's not a terrible card... just not the best. It's good for countering mortars I guess.

So no more GAF clans available? Should I make one?

EDIT: I just made one, it's "NeoGAF", uppercase "N" and "GAF".

We have so many GAF clans. I can't imagine that all of them are filled with active players.

Alo0oy

Banned
Can we use something other than NeoGAF as the clan name going forward? We have like 8 NeoGAF named clans.

Yeah, I don't think there's an option to change the name, maybe I should delete it and make another one.

EDIT: It's NeoGAF Elite.

Future

I really like this game and want to spend some money. Any tips on best bang for buck? Kinda what I hate about these free to play games: feel like you are encouraged to take the worst deals. Now I have to do research on what is best to buy

I've seen people say to not buy chests with the stones, but instead gold? Or is it better to open chests faster and then you can cycle to the giant and magical chests faster that way? Or do I use a gold stock pile to buy directly from the shop (probably the worst deal... Maybe?)

Strider

I don't normally play games like this so maybe they are all this way buuuuut... It is so weird to me this game does nothing to encourage you to continue to play in longer sessions.

You get nothing for wins when your chest slots are full and your crown chest is completed for the day... Hell I imagine a lot of people just lose games on purpose once this happens so they can stay in a lower division and make earning the crown chest the next day easier.
That particular aspect of the game just seems incredibly broken to me. I get they need to make money but even a very small amount of gems or gold for wins after your all full probably wouldn't hurt them at all and it'd give me a reason to keep playing/progressing.

Other than that though the core gameplay is really good actually and the deck building/acquiring cards is fun... It's a nice little time waster.

Future

I don't normally play games like this so maybe they are all this way buuuuut... It is so weird to me this game does nothing to encourage you to continue to play in longer sessions.

You get nothing for wins when your chest slots are full and your crown chest is completed for the day... Hell I imagine a lot of people just lose games on purpose once this happens so they can stay in a lower division and make earning the crown chest the next day easier.
That particular aspect of the game just seems incredibly broken to me. I get they need to make money but even a very small amount of gems or gold for wins after your all full probably wouldn't hurt them at all and it'd give me a reason to keep playing/progressing.

Other than that though the core gameplay is really good actually and the deck building/acquiring cards is fun... It's a nice little time waster.

It does feel like that at first. But raising your arena level through trophies is good to get access to higher level cards. You also get better at the game if the competitive aspect of the game appeals to you. As you gain arenas you will start to see how your current deck is getting "phased out" so to speak and you need to adjust to new strategies brought through cards in later arenas. You'll never see this at low arena levels, and there is no advantage really to staying low level to grind anything

This is not a game that encourages endless grind. I'm a competitive person though so that works out for me

Ocho

Why I think Supercell games work really well for mobile is basically not having to constantly play the game to progress. I'm fine with 4-5 quick games throughout the day. I've got other stuff to do! :p

I will say, however, that at arena 6 I'm having a hard time 2 starring someone, let alone 3 stars. Trophy chest is getting harder to achieve and requieres more games.

Strider

You also get better at the game if the competitive aspect of the game appeals to you. As you gain arenas you will start to see how your current deck is getting "phased out" so to speak and you need to adjust to new strategies brought through cards in later arenas. You'll never see this at low arena levels, and there is no advantage really to staying low level to grind anything

This is not a game that encourages endless grind. I'm a competitive person though so that works out for me

I wouldn't say I'm into the competitive side or anything but I'm definitely looking forward to more varied strats that more cards can bring...

I'm still level 3 and in arena 2 atm but all you do at this tier is just wait for them to blow their elixir (they almost always do) then drop a prince at the opposite side of the map lol

It does feel like that at first. But raising your arena level through trophies is good to get access to higher level cards. You also get better at the game if the competitive aspect of the game appeals to you. As you gain arenas you will start to see how your current deck is getting "phased out" so to speak and you need to adjust to new strategies brought through cards in later arenas. You'll never see this at low arena levels, and there is no advantage really to staying low level to grind anything

From what I've seen lower arenas tend to be where you see a diverse selection of decks and even some obvious experiment decks. By arena 6 and 7 though the decks seem to become very homogeneous.

killroy87

Went on an incredibly obnoxious losing streak last night, from like 930 trophies to about 780. I was getting incredibly frustrated. Turned it around since and am back to 900+, but still taking a long, hard look at my deck.

Future

I wouldn't say I'm into the competitive side or anything but I'm definitely looking forward to more varied strats that more cards can bring...

I'm still level 3 and in arena 2 atm but all you do at this tier is just wait for them to blow their elixir (they almost always do) then drop a prince at the opposite side of the map lol

Yup. That's because the decks are no diverse yet and this is the uncompetitive pool.

From what I've seen lower arenas tend to be where you see a diverse selection of decks and even some obvious experiment decks. By arena 6 and 7 though the decks seem to become very homogeneous.

I'm in arena 6 now (I think? Spell arena). Definitely not seeing homogenous decks. The decks I typically see are:

Defensive building deck
Horde building deck
Small minion deck
Combinations of the above with different burst cards (mini pekka, hog rider, prince) and different tanks (skeleton, giant, pekka)

Looking at the legendary replays there definitely seems to be about 4 or 5 highly common cards in most decks though

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm in arena 6 now (I think? Spell arena). Definitely not seeing homogenous decks. The decks I typically see are:

Defensive building deck
Horde building deck
Small minion deck
Combinations of the above with different burst cards (mini pekka, hog rider, prince) and different tanks (skeleton, giant, pekka)

Looking at the legendary replays there definitely seems to be about 4 or 5 highly common cards in most decks though

Yes, this is my experience in the higher arenas. Some cards you see fairly often, but definitely a variety of strategies and at least four or five "flex" spots with different cards. I pretty much go in not knowing what to expect.

Yes, this is my experience in the higher arenas. Some cards you see fairly often, but definitely a variety of strategies and at least four or five "flex" spots with different cards. I pretty much go in not knowing what to expect.
Yeah I guess that's what I was trying to say, there's diversity but I do see most decks use of either Pekka, Freeze, Hogrider, Elixer machine, or Minions. They seem to be staple cards at those higher levels.

commish

Was having a real hard time with certain decks, so I brought it back to basics with 5 common cards and only the poison as an epic:

Goblin
Spear Goblin
Barbarians
Arrows
Minion horde
Hog rider
Tesla
Poison

Undefeated with this deck so far at around 3000 cups. I've never really used barbs before but they are useful in countering a lot of stuff and demand immediate attention. Any time my opponent drops a mortar (they used to always beat me), I drop barbs on the other side of the map and it's working out so well.

killroy87

What's a good counter to the Witch? Just played a match I was doing really well in, but a couple well placed Witches really screwed me over.

commish

Yeah, just drop a knight onto her head, and she's dead. Knight counters a lot - witch, wizard, princes, etc. So useful.

decided to give this a go, loving it so far!

that paywall is killing me though. trying to play only when i need chests to not fall down the trap. there needs to be some kind of reward for just playing when full on chests.

Top Bottom