• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
My current deck is pretty awesome and I win nearly every game expect against tower decks. :-/

I have:
Witch (lvl 3)
Barb hut (lvl 5)
Spear Goblins (lvl 7)
Skeleton Army (lvl 2)
Minions (lvl 7)
Minion Horde (lvl 7)
Musketeer (lvl 4)
Baby Dragon (lvl 2)

Baby dragon is a nice bait for the beginning so I don't necessarily want to get rid of it in exchange for a fireball.

Any hints how to go against towers?

It's pretty hard to make a deck that is good against everything. Everything you have is pretty squishy, so if you may want to either use a big tank or add a spell.

Alur

I climbed my way to Arena 4/PEKKA (Rinne!)'s playland. 1129 has been my highest trophy count. I spent $20 bucks on gems to open a big chest and I've been insanely lucky pulling epics from just random chests. I got into a run playing yesterday with my son sick and started the climb.

I'm currently running:

Hog Rider
Goblin Hut
Giant
Witch
Baby Dragon
Prince
Musketeer
Skeleton Army

This deck rolls through sub 1100, but at best I go evens in Arena 4. I'm not really sure what to change. I typically play defensively with Hut cleaning up one side and Witch cleaning up the other, dropping Baby Dragon for any kind of swarm of minions. Skeleton Army takes care of the Prince/Giant/etc. Musketeer is there for other Baby Dragons, has decent siege, and isn't too bad plunking away at other targets when needed. She's also very good following behind the spear goblins from the Hut, or tanking for the goblins on counter push.

I do, however, hardly use the Giant as I go up. Hog Rider and Prince pretty much do the main bit of tower damage and I don't pull Giant out often. Is there a better deck I should try for Arena 4, or something I should replace? Replace Giant? I do have Freeze.

Started playing on the weekend, currently level 5 and have breezed my way up to 800 cups but am now in a constant cycle of win a few and get close to 900, then get completely smashed 3-4 games in a row. Rinse repeat. Time to do some research I guess.

I was the same. Stuck in 800-900. Now stuck in the ~1100 range. I had to swap a few cards to get out of the rut myself. Think I may have used one of those annoying tower builds actually.

bearbomb

Neo Member
I do, however, hardly use the Giant as I go up. Hog Rider and Prince pretty much do the main bit of tower damage and I don't pull Giant out often. Is there a better deck I should try for Arena 4, or something I should replace? Replace Giant? I do have Freeze.

I would replace either giant with a damage dealer mini pekka? valkyrie? bomber?

or

if you have balloon I would throw that in there WITH giant, because that's a decent combo. (or balloon prince)

Alur

I did the balloon at one point but kept running into minions/spear goblin types that would kill it before it could get a shot in fairly often.

I have mini PEKKA and Valkyrie, can give those a shot I guess. I rarely see mini PEKKA on the field. Does he charge straight at towers or will he get distracted? I know Valkyrie is good for wave clear.

Chorazin

I did the balloon at one point but kept running into minions/spear goblin types that would kill it before it could get a shot in fairly often.

I have mini PEKKA and Valkyrie, can give those a shot I guess. I rarely see mini PEKKA on the field. Does he charge straight at towers or will he get distracted? I know Valkyrie is good for wave clear.

You need a meat shield for the Balloon. Skeleton Army with a Baloon flying above and in the middle/back means it should get through pretty safe.

Alur

Yeah I was typically doing it with Prince, but Skeleton Army often overwhelmed him and then whatever else they dropped would finish Balloon before it could get much work in. I was really surprised at how little the bomb it drops after does in comparison to how much damage the actual Balloon itself puts out.

Chorazin

Oooooh man, had such a close match. It was Sudden death, his Center had about 100 HP left, and my left one had about 50 left. I threw a Prince at his right to hit the center and he zerged my left side. As they got closer and closer it was a super tight race. His lead dudes were a second away from Melee range to my weak tower and I got the Elixir for Skelton Army. They jammed up all his dudes JUST long enough for Prince to do his work.

Hot damn! Love this game.

This is all awesome advice.

Here's what I'm currently working with. I tend to play defensively until I see an opening and I drop a prince or giant. So basically counter counter counter attack. Any advice?

That's a decent low cost deck. I'm guessing you have problems with huge waves of enemies and possible towers?

I would say replace archers with either arrows or fireball. Preferably arrows to counter minion horde drops against your giant, as you have a strong offense with Knight/Musk/Knight. If you need a bit more damage output, and barbarians aren't a problem, go for Goblins instead of skeletons simply because they can take 2 hits usually and deal significantly more damage. If you're encountering alot of barbarians, fireball might be better than arrows simply because it'll usually kill them/leave them with little hp left.

broz0rs

I keep losing to tower heavy builds, but the cake is when they're content at defending the entire game and slowly whittle down a tower with rockets and going for the 1-0. Literally did not attack me with any troops asides from defending his own towers with low cost troops. Any ways to beat this?

commish

I keep losing to tower heavy builds, but the cake is when they're content at defending the entire game and slowly whittle down a tower with rockets and going for the 1-0. Literally did not attack me with any troops asides from defending his own towers with low cost troops. Any ways to beat this?

This was an extremely common and almost impossible to stop tactic earlier. SC responded by decreasing tower damage by 20%. If they are throwing rockets at you at 6 elixir each, that's a pretty enormous elixir advantage you have, and you need to push hard. If you are using defensive structures yourself, there's no way you can win, really.

I've been using the following two decks a lot in Arena 7, pushing Legendary.

Deck 1:

Giant Lvl 6
Barbs Lvl 9
Archers Lvl 8
Arrows Lvl 8
Lightning Lvl 3
Goblins Lvl 9
Spear Gobs Lvl 9
Skeletons Lvl 8

Avg Elixir: 3.4

All low-level cards for the most part, using the Giant starting at the back of my base and then throwing a ton of excess troops to both lanes once he crosses one bridge. No flying troops at all. Biggest weakness is a high-level balloon which can usually hurt a tower badly before my ground-to-air troops take it down.

I find this works really well. Barbs, Skeletons, Arrows, and Lightning are all used defensively. Lightning in particular is awesome for taking out towers. Offense is Giant, Archers, Gobs and Spear Gobs.

Deck 2:

P.E.K.K.A. Lvl 3
Three Musketeers Lvl 5
Minion Horde Lvl 8
Zap Lvl 8
Lightning Lvl 3
Barbs Lvl 9
Elixir Collector Lvl 5
Wizard Lvl 5

Avg Elixir: 5.5

This is a specific deck I'm still building up. Would like to swap the Wizard for the Ice Guy but he hasn't dropped yet. Need to get the Musketeers to Lvl 6 to make the rapid attack work perfectly.

Main attack is PEKKA from back of base, add 3 Musketeers + Wizard behind him in a single lane once he reaches the bridge. Can waste a tower in seconds. I've tried swapping the Wizard for my level 9 Bomber, but I find the Wizard is a bit better in the role of protecting the PEKKA and Musketeers (his only real role is support).

Barbs, Minion Horde, Zap, Lightning, and Elixir are all defensive. Placing Elixir in front of the Castle for defense as well.

broz0rs

This was an extremely common and almost impossible to stop tactic earlier. SC responded by decreasing tower damage by 20%. If they are throwing rockets at you at 6 elixir each, that's a pretty enormous elixir advantage you have, and you need to push hard. If you are using defensive structures yourself, there's no way you can win, really.

Forgot to add, the most annoying thing is how troops can be completely drawn away from the arena tower, so if two turrets are side by side, they'll walk away from the arena tower. A third can be dropped horizontally away as the two are being taken down so it literally looks as if troops are marching towards the opposite tower. All the while, the arena tower is shooting away at your troops! It's a brilliant strategy, but completely busted to play against.

commish

I've been using the following two decks a lot in Arena 7, pushing Legendary.

Deck 1:

Giant Lvl 6
Barbs Lvl 9
Archers Lvl 8
Arrows Lvl 8
Lightning Lvl 3
Goblins Lvl 9
Spear Gobs Lvl 9
Skeletons Lvl 8

Avg Elixir: 3.4

All low-level cards for the most part, using the Giant starting at the back of my base and then throwing a ton of excess troops to both lanes once he crosses one bridge. No flying troops at all. Biggest weakness is a high-level balloon which can usually hurt a tower badly before my ground-to-air troops take it down.

I find this works really well. Barbs, Skeletons, Arrows, and Lightning are all used defensively. Lightning in particular is awesome for taking out towers. Offense is Giant, Archers, Gobs and Spear Gobs.

Deck 2:

P.E.K.K.A. Lvl 3
Three Musketeers Lvl 5
Minion Horde Lvl 8
Zap Lvl 8
Lightning Lvl 3
Barbs Lvl 9
Elixir Collector Lvl 5
Wizard Lvl 5

Avg Elixir: 5.5

This is a specific deck I'm still building up. Would like to swap the Wizard for the Ice Guy but he hasn't dropped yet. Need to get the Musketeers to Lvl 6 to make the rapid attack work perfectly.

Main attack is PEKKA from back of base, add 3 Musketeers + Wizard behind him in a single lane once he reaches the bridge. Can waste a tower in seconds. I've tried swapping the Wizard for my level 9 Bomber, but I find the Wizard is a bit better in the role of protecting the PEKKA and Musketeers (his only real role is support).

Barbs, Minion Horde, Zap, Lightning, and Elixir are all defensive. Placing Elixir in front of the Castle for defense as well.

My current deck is the perfect foil to your first deck - I run with poison, which would eat up all your low HP units, and a tesla, which take out big units best. Whenever I see someone drop a Pekka or Giant in the back, I always immediately rush the other side, and keep attacking there, so they are forced to defend the other side. My goal is for the big unit to cross the bridge solo, in which case I just drop my inferno down to eat the unit up. Since I've started to use barbs instead of a prince, this strategy has worked perfectly because you can't ignore barbs, or even easily counter them. Prince can be countered by 1 elixir skeletons.

I've seen a lot more 3 musketeers lately. They can be so strong, but if your opponent has a fireball that can one-hit them, it's nearly impossible to use them. My level 7 fireball can one-shot a level 6 musketeer, but can't a level 7 musketeer. Makes all the difference in the world because they melt everything so fast.

Flaxh

Hey guys! I started playing a few days ago and just earned my 1000 trophee with the following deck: arrows, giant, prince, spear goblins, valkyrie, archers, bomber, musketeer.

I checked the clans listed in the OP but they're all full. Is there a new one coming up?

SeanR1221

That's a decent low cost deck. I'm guessing you have problems with huge waves of enemies and possible towers?

I would say replace archers with either arrows or fireball. Preferably arrows to counter minion horde drops against your giant, as you have a strong offense with Knight/Musk/Knight. If you need a bit more damage output, and barbarians aren't a problem, go for Goblins instead of skeletons simply because they can take 2 hits usually and deal significantly more damage. If you're encountering alot of barbarians, fireball might be better than arrows simply because it'll usually kill them/leave them with little hp left.

Great advice thank you :)

My current deck is the perfect foil to your first deck - I run with poison, which would eat up all your low HP units, and a tesla, which take out big units best. Whenever I see someone drop a Pekka or Giant in the back, I always immediately rush the other side, and keep attacking there, so they are forced to defend the other side. My goal is for the big unit to cross the bridge solo, in which case I just drop my inferno down to eat the unit up. Since I've started to use barbs instead of a prince, this strategy has worked perfectly because you can't ignore barbs, or even easily counter them. Prince can be countered by 1 elixir skeletons.

I've seen a lot more 3 musketeers lately. They can be so strong, but if your opponent has a fireball that can one-hit them, it's nearly impossible to use them. My level 7 fireball can one-shot a level 6 musketeer, but can't a level 7 musketeer. Makes all the difference in the world because they melt everything so fast.

I've been able to counter the poison, but it is def tricky to use low-hp spam units vs poison. Trick is to be nimble enough to switch lanes quickly. The good news is that losing a few 2 and 1 elixir troops is not a big deal.

Lightning vs an Inferno is pretty damn strong. Placed well, it can take out a couple troops as well or take out a chunk of a tower.

Anyone avoid leveling up because it feels good beating players higher levels than you? I'm at level 5 right now and I've probably peaked at beating a handful of lvl 7 guys. Feelsgoodman.jpg

Alur

I can't stay on the Pekka arena, I keep getting demoted to the Barbarian one. I'm so bad at this game!

That's where I've been the last day or two. Steamroll up to 1100+, lose down to like 950, rinse, repeat. I haven't been able to give it a shot today though making any tweaks.

Lol, the biggest problem I'm having with my Hog + Freeze deck is that I can't aim the freeze properly because of my fat fingers.

I tried a Hog + Freeze deck but it seemed so reliant on the combo that when they stopped it or I didn't draw it when it was optimal it felt DOA because this one was just packed with small minions otherwise. I'd like to see a version of it that was a little more well rounded if anyone has one.

Permanently A

That's where I've been the last day or two. Steamroll up to 1100+, lose down to like 950, rinse, repeat. I haven't been able to give it a shot today though making any tweaks.

I tried a Hog + Freeze deck but it seemed so reliant on the combo that when they stopped it or I didn't draw it when it was optimal it felt DOA because this one was just packed with small minions otherwise. I'd like to see a version of it that was a little more well rounded if anyone has one.

Mine isn't just small minions. It has a bomb tower for defense, spear goblins and archers for aerial units, barbarians for big guys, arrows for small guys, valkyrie for pushes, and of course the eponymous Freeze and Hog,

Hm.

Gave me inspiration. Hog+Freeze deck, but also have barb hut and gob hut. Get those on one side of the lane, dump hog+Freeze on opposite side.

wagamer

Got a super magical chest and unlocked Witch, Baby Dragon, Giant Skeleton and Freeze. Finally! Now to choose what kind of deck I want to build...

So has anyone had an issue with clans at all? I formed my own a few weeks ago and have been fairly active in game and donating cards within the clan and today when I played my first game my name showed up without a clan tag under it. I checked and sure enough the UI shows that I'm not in the clan now :/ There were only a handful of randoms that had joined and they were all peon status, so is this a known issue/glitch that should sort itself out? If not, that sucks, what a waste of 1000 gold :'(

killroy87

So has anyone had an issue with clans at all? I formed my own a few weeks ago and have been fairly active in game and donating cards within the clan and today when I played my first game my name showed up without a clan tag under it. I checked and sure enough the UI shows that I'm not in the clan now :/ There were only a handful of randoms that had joined and they were all peon status, so is this a known issue/glitch that should sort itself out? If not, that sucks, what a waste of 1000 gold :'(

Same for me. I just logged in and it says I'm not let of a clan, which definitely isn't true. I can search for it and see it, but nothing comes up when I click on it.

mercviper

Just logged in and saw a popup saying I left my own clan as well. Dunno what happened to cause it :/

Agent

I think there is an issue with clans. My clan tab isn't working either. A message just popped up in game they are going to do a maintenance in 5 minutes, so I'm guessing it may be related.

commish

I think there is an issue with clans. My clan tab isn't working either. A message just popped up in game they are going to do a maintenance in 5 minutes, so I'm guessing it may be related.

Bugged, they are fixing.

Future

Im tempted to throw some money at this game, mostly because I've been playing non stop. Not sure what Id buy though.

Consensus seems to be that chests themselves, while satisfying, are the worst bang for buck. Buy gold with the gems and buy cards from the store.

Next best use is speeding up chest opens. While you get more common cards that way, you will get less epics for the money

commish

Consensus seems to be that chests themselves, while satisfying, are the worst bang for buck. Buy gold with the gems and buy cards from the store.

Next best use is speeding up chest opens. While you get more common cards that way, you will get less epics for the money

I honestly think speeding up chests is the best. It allows you to play more often (for those who refuse to play when full on chests) and I think most epics are a bit overrated. Gold should also be purchased, because it's good for upgrading your cards and buying common/rares and, to a lesser extent, that epic that you want/need. The problem with buying epics is that it's really expensive/hard to level them up. I'd rather have level 8 commons than a level 2 epic.

SeanR1221

Got it. Makes total sense.

ElyrionX

So I steamrolled A1 and A2 in three days and now I am not progressing much in A3. Virtually all the guys I face have troops that are 1-2 levels higher than mine on average. So I guess the upgrade grind begins now?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
So I steamrolled A1 and A2 in three days and now I am not progressing much in A3. Virtually all the guys I face have troops that are 1-2 levels higher than mine on average. So I guess the upgrade grind begins now?

You should get a giant chest soon which will give you a ton of gold, so don't worry about spending it early.

Or you could just request them from Clan members.

Dee Dee

Speaking of Clans: "GAF Royale" has two vacancies. Please remember to mention your NeoGAF user name in your join request. If anyone here goes by fast the name greendomo, speak up!

Some people have stopped playing, but so is life. Join us for donations and occasionally drunk clan chat spam (I do apologize...).

Speaking of Clans: "GAF Royale" has two vacancies. Please remember to mention your NeoGAF user name in your join request. If anyone here goes by fast the name greendomo, speak up!

Some people have stopped playing, but so is life. Join us for donations and occasionally drunk clan chat spam (I do apologize...).

Do I need a minimum of trophies to join?

800+ I have, not much, started this week after this thread did pop up

Edit: Request sent

dream

I think I'm going to give this a try. What does the rest of the deck look like?

commish

I think I'm going to give this a try. What does the rest of the deck look like?

Poison
Barbs
Goblins
Spear Goblins
Hog Rider
Arrows
Inferno
Minion Horde

I honestly think this deck is near perfect for the current meta, at least around my cup level. It allows the constant pressure I want to use so that my opponent doesn't have time to build up for giant pushes. Goblins/spear goblins will do insane damage if ignored and only costs 4 mana. I would really like to fit a lightning in there somewhere, but I use poison too much. Hog rider + poison is such a great starting combo, especially when people drop pumps as the first move so often.

Alur

I keep running into dudes with level 3 Witches and level 3 Princes and my own versions just get eradicated (in Arena 4). I'm beginning to wonder if it's even worth running my level 1 Prince when my Giant is level 5 and I have a level 2 PEKKA (though he costs a fortune).

I really feel like I should go with a Hog + Freeze deck as a second option, but I either don't understand how to play it or the lists I've used just aren't working in Arena 4. I have a level 4 Hog Rider, level 2 Freeze, and level 7 Minion Horde and those seem to be staples of the deck from all I've seen. What else should I round it out with?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I just faced a Goblin Hut, Barbarian Hut, Barbarians, Prince, Minions (i think they were, 3 flying dudes with arrows). It was just a constant flood and I didn't know how to deal with it. I had arrows and skeleton army but couldn't fight back against it, he just went all in one last with constant floods and I seemed incapable to fight back. Where does the elixir even come from?

How do you deal with something like that?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This business model is beyond toxic!

(Game is okay for the first hour but I can't see much of it.)

Chorazin

I just faced a Goblin Hut, Barbarian Hut, Barbarians, Prince, Minions (i think they were, 3 flying dudes with arrows). It was just a constant flood and I didn't know how to deal with it. I had arrows and skeleton army but couldn't fight back against it, he just went all in one last with constant floods and I seemed incapable to fight back. Where does the elixir even come from?

Towers. If you're not rocking them zerg decks are killer. :/

The second I get a Barbarian Hut I'm making one of those decks.

Have a rocket or a fireball in your deck, or maybe have some minions since they can't be targeted by ground troops. The thing about hut decks is that, while the steady stream at first is manageable, once they get someone in the front who can divert attention and soak up damage it can very quickly spiral out of control. When I see my opponent using a hut deck I usually will immediately push the opposite lane and wait for a fireball to be ready to destroy the huts. Right when your opponent puts down huts they usually have very little elixir so they can't immediately counter my push.

Top Bottom