• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

This deck has served me well for a while now. Just made it to 1600 trophies. I still get wrecked against certain decks, but I'm winning more than I lose. Bomb tower is essential for me, and rocket has won me a bunch of matches, though I sometimes switch it out for different aerial attack cards like minions, baby dragon, or witch.

kMC57DX.jpg

SeanR1221

I just faced a Goblin Hut, Barbarian Hut, Barbarians, Prince, Minions (i think they were, 3 flying dudes with arrows). It was just a constant flood and I didn't know how to deal with it. I had arrows and skeleton army but couldn't fight back against it, he just went all in one last with constant floods and I seemed incapable to fight back. Where does the elixir even come from?

How do you deal with something like that?

I totally just copied this deck and have won 4 in a row lol.

I place the goblin hut behind my tower, and throw some spear goblins with it.

When the elixir goes up I throw down barbarians and the barbarian hut.

I keep the valkyrie, minion and skeleton hoard for crowd control. And a prince to attack when they least suspect.

Agent

After 300+ games so far, just came across my first Royal Giant in action. I honestly had no idea at first what the other guy was playing and had to do a double take.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Towers. If you're not rocking them zerg decks are killer. :/

The second I get a Barbarian Hut I'm making one of those decks.

Have a rocket or a fireball in your deck, or maybe have some minions since they can't be targeted by ground troops. The thing about hut decks is that, while the steady stream at first is manageable, once they get someone in the front who can divert attention and soak up damage it can very quickly spiral out of control. When I see my opponent using a hut deck I usually will immediately push the opposite lane and wait for a fireball to be ready to destroy the huts. Right when your opponent puts down huts they usually have very little elixir so they can't immediately counter my push.

Hmmm okay, some good sounding advice. I'll try to work something into my current deck. Thanks guys! I guess the thing to be aware of is that they're likely going to push it all down one lane...

EDIT: Also the business model and pure amount of cash it would actually take for real money progression to be effective is what's stopping me from putting any money in to the game, sticking a few quid in will basically just advance me like 3 days I'll just wait instead.

I've been playing for a couple days now, got to arena 3 but can't win in it.

I try to use my rare and epic cards but they don't seem to help me much, I win more often with my deck full of common cards

hollomat

Banned
I've been playing for a couple days now, got to arena 3 but can't win in it.

I try to use my rare and epic cards but they don't seem to help me much, I win more often with my deck full of common cards

The epics dont really work unless they play a specific role in your deck. I'm in arena 7 now and my deck is all common cards and rares.

How in God's name are full games like Salt & Sanctuary and Stardew Valley less appealing to me right now than a Super Magical Chest...

Time to walk away for a bit I think

Alur

The yo-yo is real in arena 4. From about 1050 to 1200 and back again. And again. And again. Swapped it up and trying to run a freeze deck (hog/freeze/baby drag/mini pekka/skeletons/arrows/spear goblins/valkyrie). It got me back where I normally get to but I've stopped there for now.

Most of my losses come from getting overwhelmed in the final minute/2x elixir phase while having their second tower and/or king's tower near death. Just never seem to be able to finish.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Got a rage card and tried to use it but I lost like 4/5 games with it so I took it out. I didn't really build a deck around it though, just substituted a single card from each deck so I'm sure I could make it work with some thought.

Trojan

Got a rage card and tried to use it but I lost like 4/5 games with it so I took it out. I didn't really build a deck around it though, just substituted a single card from each deck so I'm sure I could make it work with some thought.

Rage paired with a Balloon is an extremely dangerous combo

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Who is more generally useful, Giant or Musketeer? I'm just starting out and I'm gold poor so I want to know who to take to level 2.

Main deck is:

Knight 3
Archers 3
Bombardier 3
Arrows 3
Spear Goblins 3
GIant 1
Valkyrie 1
Dragon 1

I can also up Hut to level 2 but I'm not sold on Hut strat yet...

Who is more generally useful, Giant or Musketeer? I'm just starting out and I'm gold poor so I want to know who to take to level 2.

Main deck is:

Knight 3
Archers 3
Bombardier 3
Arrows 3
Spear Goblins 3
GIant 1
Valkyrie 1
Dragon 1

I can also up Hut to level 2 but I'm not sold on Hut strat yet...
Only say the musketeer for the heart damage output but the giant has its uses to it's not really comparable thing because they have different elixir costs

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How do hut decks out them down so quickly? Just got demolished by one with four huts up at the end and then throwing dragons and barbarians at me.

Barbarian huts are 7, goblin are 5, barbarians are 5 and dragons are 4. I guess I just burn all my elixir trying to keep them off my back which gives them time to build more?

Is there a good counter?

How do hut decks out them down so quickly? Just got demolished by one with four huts up at the end and then throwing dragons and barbarians at me.

Barbarian huts are 7, goblin are 5, barbarians are 5 and dragons are 4. I guess I just burn all my elixir trying to keep them off my back which gives them time to build more?

Is there a good counter?

Don't forget things like mirror which cut down the expense of additional huts

broz0rs

I was reading a little blog thing with the #1 guy and he's spent $12,000 so far lmao

You just know all those top guys are opening up super magical chests like they're opening bottles of water. Level 4 ice wizard and princess is just insane.

It's also interesting how they're all from Chinese language speaking countries (China, Taiwan, Hong Kong). It's as if they're all preparing to play in some e-sports tournament down the road.

Is there a good counter?

The counter is to rush then early and maybe even Lightning and Poison. Hut decks are very very weak early on. They pay a lot for big pay off later. If you play passively then you're just making it very easy for them.

I'm playing hut decks recently again. All I do is place a Spear Hut then keep countering pushes with cheap cards like Spea and Cannon. Like for example in my last match I shut down a push of Pekka and Dual Prince with Spear, Cannon and Ice Wiz. It's +8 elix for me. I build other Huts and Pumps along the way. Eventually I end up having 4-5 huts and 2-3 pumps towards the end. I built so much elix advantage that I actually had a bit of trouble running out of space.

Still atuck in the 850-950 range after reaching arena 3 a few days ago. Looked for a few decks online and tried them out but still just win a few then lose a few. Probably coming down to game knowledge more then the deck, I definitely thought it would have taken me longer to get to where I am now.

Keasar

Could at least get a "participation crown" for bothering to click the Battle button now. Everything is just Arrows, skeleton armies, babydragons and some other obnoxious card everyone has and uses so its basically impossible to get a interesting game going. Its just stalemates or loss cause all I do is get countered whatever I put out followed me countering whatever they put out but they have a few more counters and its a loss.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I was reading a little blog thing with the #1 guy and he's spent $12,000 so far lmao

I'm okay with that if its your job, like you're a popular streamer and you make the money back that way. If not then it's crazy.

So sad, i didnt read anything before downloading the game Tuesday now I realized I wasted all my early gems on opening chests now I have no gold to upgrade anything :(

killroy87

How about we all just agree it's tacky to criticize how someone chooses to spend their own money, especially when we have zero context as to their circumstances.

If I spent $50 on this game, and someone just came up to me and asked me why I wasted my money on that, it would be met with a resounding "how about you just mind your own shit?"

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
How about we all just agree it's tacky to criticize how someone chooses to spend their own money, especially when we have zero context as to their circumstances.

If I spent $50 on this game, and someone just came up to me and asked me why I wasted my money on that, it would be met with a resounding "how about you just mind your own shit?"

Yeah, while I personally agree with you, it really does seem to OFFEND some folks when other people spend money on these kinds of games. It's almost as if being F2P is a badge of honor or something? I won't ever fight a person who spent $12,000 in this game - they are in a way different league than me - so it doesn't impact me one bit. I will be content to watch them play on Royale TV :)

Dreavus

Despite my earlier comments I've been playing here and there. The moment-to-moment gameplay in this game is really good. I like the card interactions, and it's cool to see counterplay in action (even from my opponent) to inform my card choices for the following match. At one point I removed musketeer for another swarm unit, but quickly found that it was one of my strongest defenses against mid-level threats that have AoE like Witch or Dragon. Finding stuff out like that is awesome.

It is precisely the wrong business model for me to spend anything on though, because all it does it shove you into higher and higher leagues with no end in sight. The way I look at it is if I spend $20 to "get ahead" with higher leveled cards, because of the way matchmaking works, it means I'll soon meet up with people who have done the same, or have spent an equivalent amount of time on the game. So why not just stay where I am and have fun at the level I'm currently at playing for free?

I'm totally fine picking up cosmetics in F2P games, but whenever the thing they are selling is a consumable resource I tend not to play ball, because when it runs out you're just back where you started, only slightly further up the "ladder". I don't bemoan people spending money either, because I simply won't run into them – they'll be busy playing in a higher arena.

(since someone mentioned Giant Bomb) It always reminds me of when Jeff was talking about that sub-par wrestling card mobile game on the Bombcast, admitted to dropping some money in to upgrade his cards more, and immediately found himself matched against players who had also done that, so the net result was it didn't really feel any different other than the fact that money was spent. I mean, of course it has to work like that, and it'd be silly if it didn't, but unless I'm shooting for the $12000 top spot I would rather make due with what I have than pay to move up the rankings slightly.

Definitely not knocking the game itself though, it's a very well designed head to head game for sure. I found a GAF/Giantbomb hybrid clan and it's been good so far.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm playing mostly to try strats. If/when I spend money, it'll be to round out my collection to play as many decks as possible.

nampad

That feeling when you want to try something different because you just happen to have so many cards of that one legendary you didn't use before and the result is devastating:

-spent over 2000 gold to level some cards I usually don't use.
-lost 200 cups.

The worst is, I think I might have just not leveled the cards enough to make the new deck work because I have concentrated on my main one :(

I'm legit LOLing. I'm now at 1200 trophies when just yesterday I was stuck at 1000. All I've been doing is playing till I get beat, watching the replay, and copying their decks and plays. Hit a wall now at around 1200 but I'm surprised how far it got me.

Dunlop

Got to 1395 then lost 3, battled back to 1399 then lost 5!!!!

I'm pretty sure by the end of the weeking I will be shopping for a new cell phone to replace the one that will be shattered into many pieces

Maximus P

I'm at around 1900 trophies now.Id say around 90% of the people I come across at this level have very similar tactics and decks so I'm ready to deal with them. Most popular cards around here are hog riders, freeze, minion horde and balloons and most try to get to your towers and freeze your defences.

Managed to score a giant chest yesterday and got level 7 mortors, but I find them mostly useles.

Really good little game this.

Top Bottom