• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

Alur

It's OK. I'll try again some other time. Looking for a no-pressure, let-us-have-fun kind of experience ;)

There's not really any other kind of experience to be had with clans in this game as of yet. Pretty much the only thing you can do is track donations and that's it.

ElyrionX

Although there have been other theories floating around about this kind of stuff, I think it's just bad luck. I've lost hundreds of cups in a single play session before (I think 600 was the most I lost at once - just do the math on that one, that's a lot of losses), but I've also gained hundreds of cups in a sitting. It's like pro sports. Some days you just throw 5 interceptions or strike out 4 times. Other days you dominate.

Absolutely this. Competitive games always involve form of some sort. The best professional players all have their bad days or even bad seasons.

The issue is that when there's things involved behind the scenes that you don't have full visibility or knowledge of (ie. the coding behind matchmaking), it's easy to come up with all kinds of conspiracy theories to explain your losses. The only other game I've played with Elo ranking is Dota 2 and in that game, you see these kind of theories pop up all the time too.

People just don't know how to handle losses well. But it's simple really. When you're on a losing streak, just take a break. Watch your replays and be honest with yourself and your mistakes and bad plays. It's a 1v1 game that many people have successfully climbed to the top and the fact that there is clear progression in terms of the skills of the players you meet as you climb the ladder does suggest that the ranking system is working as intended.

JoeNut

Ok thanks, haven't encountered that card before.

It doesn't actually seem to be used often, i think they should change it. It costs 1 extra elixer to cast the same card, but the card is 1 level (or more depending on rarity) lower than the card you actually cast.

So essentially you pay more, for a weaker card, it doesn't make sense.

Alur

I pulled an Ice Wizard yesterday. Now I feel the itch to use it, but honestly have no clue what kind of deck to build around him or if he really is even any good. A cursory glance at TV Royale shows me a ton of decks with Princess, and some with Princess + Ice Wizard, but none really with Ice Wizard alone. I've been rolled a few times by people using double wizard (reg wizard and ice wizard dropped together), but I'm not sure if that was just a flaw in my own deck or what.

Anyone have him and have ideas on what to combo him with? There's tons and tons of content for F2P decks, but very little in comparison for decks including legendaries that aren't already 3k+.

Kerned

Banned
Absolutely this. Competitive games always involve form of some sort. The best professional players all have their bad days or even bad seasons.

The issue is that when there's things involved behind the scenes that you don't have full visibility or knowledge of (ie. the coding behind matchmaking), it's easy to come up with all kinds of conspiracy theories to explain your losses. The only other game I've played with Elo ranking is Dota 2 and in that game, you see these kind of theories pop up all the time too.

People just don't know how to handle losses well. But it's simple really. When you're on a losing streak, just take a break. Watch your replays and be honest with yourself and your mistakes and bad plays. It's a 1v1 game that many people have successfully climbed to the top and the fact that there is clear progression in terms of the skills of the players you meet as you climb the ladder does suggest that the ranking system is working as intended.
I don't think it's a conspiracy theory to assume that Supercell is engineering the matchmaking in a way that "encourages" people to spend money. They are in it to make money and they are very good at it. The game made $80 million last month.

That doesn't mean people can't get good at the game and have a great time with it (it's super fun), but it's naive to think it isn't finely tuned to regularly try to frustrate you into paying for cards or to open chests.

SeanR1221

I can't believe it. I got an ice wizard from the free chest.

Sitting at 1404 trophies. I kind of want to just open some chests before playing so I can potentially get more cards from spell valley

Well finally reached Arena 4 after going back and forth for 2 weeks (refusing to pay).
Every time you just need one win to cross that boundary you'll get match with high ranking player to push you down.

This game (or its userbase?) brings out the worst in me.

I would not normally taunt or smacktalk in a video game. But I can't lie: if another player in Clash Royale starts taunting me during a game (e.g., "Oops" after taking one of my towers) and then I manage to win the match, I'm not above unleashing a dozen laughing kings.

God damn it.

ElyrionX

I don't think it's a conspiracy theory to assume that Supercell is engineering the matchmaking in a way that "encourages" people to spend money. They are in it to make money and they are very good at it. The game made $80 million last month.

That doesn't mean people can't get good at the game and have a great time with it (it's super fun), but it's naive to think it isn't finely tuned to regularly try to frustrate you into paying for cards or to open chests.

Sure but everyone's Elo is open for all to see. And if you clearly are getting matched based on your Elo then you are assuming there are other variables that the game uses to try to match you with people whom you can't beat. But what are those? Player levels are usually one or two levels within each other in matchmaking. Decks are so varied and have literally billions of combinations that it's probably impossible to even matchmake people based on decks.

One way they can possibly do this is to match players on losing streaks with players on winning streaks. But that is not a hard system to beat. You just take regular breaks.

Getting frustrated is part of any competitive matchmaking system and the Elo system is supposed to generate near-50% win-rates. Will I be surprised if they rigged the system to frustrate players into paying? No, not at all. But everything I've seen and heard so far does not suggest this is the case.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

I would not normally taunt or smacktalk in a video game. But I can't lie: if another player in Clash Royale starts taunting me during a game (e.g., "Oops" after taking one of my towers) and then I manage to win the match, I'm not above unleashing a dozen laughing kings.

God damn it.

I be sure to always say good game whenever I win a match. Otherwise I spam angry kings.

TheExodu5

Banned
I range from 2300-2600 trophies. I win some, I lose some, but I pretty much stay in that range. I tend to drop more when I'm experimenting with decks, and I'll switch to my main deck to go back up to ranking. It's really not a big deal...I'm winning about 50/50.

I range from 2300-2600 trophies. I win some, I lose some, but I pretty much stay in that range. I tend to drop more when I'm experimenting with decks, and I'll switch to my main deck to go back up to ranking. It's really not a big deal...I'm winning about 50/50.

Same here. I drop with new decks, either because I haven't tuned them yet or I'm bad at it. Switching to my current decks always puts me back to my old rank at least.

Alur

What's the deck, Breezy?

And I have to say, the more I play...I really just want to play the damn game. I love the gameplay, even in the losses for the most part. Feeling like I'm gimping myself if I play will full chests sucks, though.

I really wish there was a way to continue playing more than just four wins without feeling gated.

What's the deck, Breezy?

And I have to say, the more I play...I really just want to play the damn game. I love the gameplay, even in the losses for the most part. Feeling like I'm gimping myself if I play will full chests sucks, though.

I really wish there was a way to continue playing more than just four wins without feeling gated.

He has
Musketeer
Hog Rider
Valkyrie
Arrows
Elixir
Goblins
Freeze
Pekka

(I substitute freeze for Princess, and am currently trying barrel instead of valkyrie for hog rider+barrel combo)

He has
Musketeer
Hog Rider
Valkyrie
Arrows
Elixir
Goblins
Freeze
Pekka

(I substitute freeze for Princess, and am currently trying barrel instead of valkyrie for hog rider+barrel combo)
That's literally the deck I use minus the Pekka for a goblin barrel. Currently on a good streak with deck too.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Started playing with a pretty expensive deck (4.5 average) and really like playing the game this way, it's so much more strategic, you've got to know exactly when to fight, when to block and when to just not engage, and you instantly feel when you've fucked something up.

I don't always win but I feel like I have a good shot against anyone who's not just got the perfect counter deck.

My new favourite thing is waiting till a knight gets close to one of my towers then spawning a hog rider and watching the knight chase them all the way back across the map.

Maximus P

Just under level 8 at 2100 trophies and i still haven't unlocked the witch.

Had a guy taunt me with a 'well played' as he took out one of my towers with the commonly used Hog rider-freeze combo, i hit him on the break and took out all of his towers. Felt good giving him a 'well played' and a laughing king at the end.

JoeNut

Started playing with a pretty expensive deck (4.5 average) and really like playing the game this way, it's so much more strategic, you've got to know exactly when to fight, when to block and when to just not engage, and you instantly feel when you've fucked something up.

I don't always win but I feel like I have a good shot against anyone who's not just got the perfect counter deck.

My new favourite thing is waiting till a knight gets close to one of my towers then spawning a hog rider and watching the knight chase them all the way back across the map.

haha i didnt know they do that

yatesl

God damn it.
I had someone Oops me when he did something (maybe stop one of my pushes?). Needless to say, after that whenever I used arrows to wipe out his horde or I took a tower he'd get an Oops back. Repeatedly.

JoeNut

Elite is still looking for active members, we've got 6 spaces due to a few people uninstalling!

Only requirement is being active and not being a total sponge when it comes to donations

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I've noticed this game will randomly push notifications to my phone that I have a chest unlocked when in fact I don't, it's really annoying.

Just last night I got a Magical Chest so I clicked that to have it opened today and got a notification that my "golden chest has unlocked". I don't even have a golden chest among the ones I earned.

TheExodu5

Banned
He has
Musketeer
Hog Rider
Valkyrie
Arrows
Elixir
Goblins
Freeze
Pekka

Is there a GAF clan with higher ranked members?

I'm in the original GAF clan but there are only a few of us over 2000 trophies and I'm pretty consistently on top...I kind of wish I was more middle of the road so I could battle other clan members and have more deck ideas.

Maybe we should consider having a tiered clan with a feeder clan?

TheExodu5

Banned
Would it be a terrible idea for me to create a GAF clan with a 2000 minimum trophy count? All other GAF clans could be official feeders.

I think we have enough members who play regularly to be fairly competitive.

Too bad Chubigans already created NeoGAF gold. :p

Bisonian

Hey hollomat, I'm trying to send a join request but I'm getting an "Unable to join" error. Any chance there's already a bunch of pending requests to accept/deny?

If there are more than 5 active pending requests it stops taking more. We are getting spammed with requests so I will try to watch for you over the course of the day.

Bisonian

I get "Wait before sending another request to join the clan" now. Something really weird is going on here. Can you invite me directly by any chance? My tag: #GJUYVPLV

No it doesn't allow us to do that :/ Lemme go check it again maybe we filled up in the last few minutes with spam requests.

ElyrionX

I am on the verge of A6 now and starting to face decks with Elixir Collectors. Those are hard to beat. I faced a guy who put down Cannons and Interno Towers while spamming Elixir Collector and Rockets. It was impossible to beat. Can't even play for a draw because Rocket will inevitably kill my tower.

JoeNut

I am on the verge of A6 now and starting to face decks with Elixir Collectors. Those are hard to beat. I faced a guy who put down Cannons and Interno Towers while spamming Elixir Collector and Rockets. It was impossible to beat. Can't even play for a draw because Rocket will inevitably kill my tower.

Yo was that me?

Joke, get used to it, you need to counter the collectors with fireball or something similar.

hollomat

Banned

Poison and fireball are fantastic for countering these. However I only run into these decks maybe 1 out of every 15 decks I see so I don't run either of those cards.

ElyrionX

Yo was that me?

Joke, get used to it, you need to counter the collectors with fireball or something similar.

Yeah, I don't play those currently. So throwing a Fireball to damage just a collector and a tower is a good trade?

My cards are still quite underleveled. My commons are a mixture of level 6/7 and my rares are all level 4 while I am facing down decks with level 7/8 commons and level 4/5 rares. So I was thinking that once I upgrade my cards, I should have enough to push through to A6. Not sure if I need to change my deck.

Hey JoeNut, you can remove me from NeoGAF Elite. Same name as I have here.

I was enjoying this game, but the f2p garbage is strong. I got sick of beating my head against people two levels above me. So I uninstalled.

I had someone Oops me when he did something (maybe stop one of my pushes?). Needless to say, after that whenever I used arrows to wipe out his horde or I took a tower he'd get an Oops back. Repeatedly.

Hahahaha. Yeah, exactly.

The very limited range of message options some hilarious versions of shit-talking. The other night, someone crushed me in the opening minute and then spammed the "Good Luck" message to its limit. I almost broke my iPad over my knee. Haha.

God damn it.

Whenever I'm playing someone from a foreign country, I always wonder what the exact translation of the phrases are. Like, are there slight variations that make certain CR phrases more akin to slang? "Good Luck" for example, can mean "Good Luck (You're Gonna Need It)" in English.

Top Bottom