• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

Future

I don't think it's a conspiracy theory to assume that Supercell is engineering the matchmaking in a way that "encourages" people to spend money. They are in it to make money and they are very good at it. The game made $80 million last month.

That doesn't mean people can't get good at the game and have a great time with it (it's super fun), but it's naive to think it isn't finely tuned to regularly try to frustrate you into paying for cards or to open chests.

I think the matching in this game is too fast worry about any of that. It just makes no effort to ensure there is a "fair" match besides trophy count, so you will be matched with people that just got a surge due to paying to win or random magical chest, or people that are high ranked but just got pushed down due to losses, and occasionally up and comers below your level

I actually like the system because it's just another variable that changes the matches

ElyrionX

Ok faced another elixir collector deck and drew again. Looked through my match history and I have only lost or drawn against decks with elixir collector. Lol wtf. What do I do?

hollomat

Banned
Ok faced another elixir collector deck and drew again. Looked through my match history and I have only lost or drawn against decks with elixir collector. Lol wtf. What do I do?

If you can't beat them, join them. I've used elixir collector since getting to arena lvl 7 and haven't looked back. It's worked out great for me.

It's perfect for getting extra elixir for an assault and also causes hog riders and other units to attack it instead of a tower.

Hey I put in a request to join a GAF clan but forgot to put my GAF name in the request. Anyway, the name is Twinguistics on there, same as here so you can see I'm a legit gaffer. Be cool if you could let me in. Cheers.

Post your deck please?

d0YQs9Q.jpg

I just play defense and wait for an elixir advantage then attack.

JeTmAn81

I tried this for a day. It was fun, but once I got to the point where it was hours until I could unlock any more chests and there was basically no other way to advance, I uninstalled it. I don't like games that restrict you pointlessly like that.

I tried this for a day. It was fun, but once I got to the point where it was hours until I could unlock any more chests and there was basically no other way to advance, I uninstalled it. I don't like games that restrict you pointlessly like that.

I play all the time with full chests, the game play is fun.

nampad

Sure but everyone's Elo is open for all to see. And if you clearly are getting matched based on your Elo then you are assuming there are other variables that the game uses to try to match you with people whom you can't beat. But what are those? Player levels are usually one or two levels within each other in matchmaking. Decks are so varied and have literally billions of combinations that it's probably impossible to even matchmake people based on decks.

One way they can possibly do this is to match players on losing streaks with players on winning streaks. But that is not a hard system to beat. You just take regular breaks.

Getting frustrated is part of any competitive matchmaking system and the Elo system is supposed to generate near-50% win-rates. Will I be surprised if they rigged the system to frustrate players into paying? No, not at all. But everything I've seen and heard so far does not suggest this is the case.

They know exactly which cards are a perfect match up for other cards so it should not be difficult for them to make a bad match up for someone. They have all the data for things like rebalancing anyway.
Also, they can control what starting hand you have, which can be deadly in some cases. On my losing streaks I often miss a viable opener for several matches in a row.

I am not sure if Supercell is doing anything behind the scenes but if they want to, it would be achievable quiet easily and in their interest.

The only problem I have with match making is why am I matched against people with over a 100 trophy difference instantly? Take five seconds, idc.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if it would be better to implement a system where the number of trophies you earn/lose in a match is dependant on how many towers you take out or lose. It would probably cut down on the amount of people turtling behind huts.

Also, I probably wouldn't win 25 trophies, lose 30, win 25, lose 30.

ElyrionX

If you can't beat them, join them. I've used elixir collector since getting to arena lvl 7 and haven't looked back. It's worked out great for me.

It's perfect for getting extra elixir for an assault and also causes hog riders and other units to attack it instead of a tower.

I can't. I have not reached A7 yet. I am at 1620+ and face a guy with elixir collector every 4 to 5 games.

I just looked up reddit and it seems there's really no hard counter to it especially if your deck isn't able to generate a strong push. Shit's ridiculous.

I can't. I have not reached A7 yet. I am at 1620+ and face a guy with elixir collector every 4 to 5 games.

I just looked up reddit and it seems there's really no hard counter to it especially if your deck isn't able to generate a strong push. Shit's ridiculous.

Giant skeleton.

DrkSage

Made a deck today that took me from 2058 trophies to 2427

Here's the deck:
Elixir collector Lvl.5
Hog rider Lvl.5
Fireball Lvl.5
Giant Lvl.5
Barbarians Lvl.8
Goblins Lvl.8
Spear Goblins Lvl.8
Goblin Hut Lvl.5

What I usually do is place the collector first if I have it at hand as soon as the match starts, if not, then place the goblin hut, if neither are in my hand then play it defensively until I have one and I'm able to place it.
I usually place a giant in front of the goblin hut to creat this sort of barrier to hold of the goblins and build a large enough mob. Then throw a hog rider or fireball or barbs depending on the situation

Future

They know exactly which cards are a perfect match up for other cards so it should not be difficult for them to make a bad match up for someone. They have all the data for things like rebalancing anyway.
Also, they can control what starting hand you have, which can be deadly in some cases. On my losing streaks I often miss a viable opener for several matches in a row.

I am not sure if Supercell is doing anything behind the scenes but if they want to, it would be achievable quiet easily and in their interest.

Randomness alone often achieves the above. Especially if you want fast match making. Want slow match making? Add more criteria

broz0rs

The thing about elixir collector is that it gives you an immediate 5 elixir advantage. That really just means one thing: push hard. If you aren't good with aggressive decks, now is the time to build one and get some games to get good at it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Giant Skeleton is probably my most hated card in the game. When he's used offensively I don't really mind..placing barbs behind him is an easy way of taking him out. But he can shut down certain deck types entirely, and I don't really like that.

As a hut spammer, I hate them. Completely deletes the pressure that builds up.
It's weird, I use to use a hut deck all throughout arena 3 and in to arena 4 but then at around the upper range of arena 4 I ran into nothing but bomb tower/skeleton giant decks that destroyed my deck. I then changed to a hog rider deck and saw some success. But now I'm facing nothing but hut deck after hut deck.

Karma's a bitch.

broz0rs

Ok I just added freeze to my deck which means I am a scumbag hogfreeze player now. Any tips?

Just estimate how much elixir they are using when they attack. If you can defend by using less elixir by your tower, send hog the other lane and freeze the tower and preferably any newly spawned units that's trying to kill your hog.

Also, if you want to defend without thinking or worries, use a bomb tower. (arrows to kill minions)

JoeNut

Hey JoeNut, you can remove me from NeoGAF Elite. Same name as I have here.

I was enjoying this game, but the f2p garbage is strong. I got sick of beating my head against people two levels above me. So I uninstalled.
Ok dude, shame!

"Always have an 8 hour chest available to unlock while you sleep."
~Sun Tzu
This is how i try to play it, save the goldens till i go to sleep, wake up and profit!

Ok I just added freeze to my deck which means I am a scumbag hogfreeze player now. Any tips?
don't drop the freeze on the tower until they've dropped there defensive low cost unit if possible, the hogs got decent HP so can take some arrows to start with.

We have 5 places open at GAF Royale (#Q8C9CY) pls! In your application remember to mention your NeoGaf affiliation and/or post to forums for your most convinient approval.

nampad

Randomness alone often achieves the above. Especially if you want fast match making. Want slow match making? Add more criteria

Adding criteria would slow down matchmaking noticeably when the player count would not allow for it. Seeing this game is a huge success, that should not be an issue. The processing needed behind it would be negligible I guess (well, I am not a dev).

Future

Adding criteria would slow down matchmaking noticeably when the player count would not allow for it. Seeing this game is a huge success, that should not be an issue. The processing needed behind it would be negligible I guess (well, I am not a dev).

This matchmaking is extremely fast though. With rarely any lag that I can ever see.

I just know everyone tries to blame losing streaks or certain match types on devs screwing around with your matching. But since matching can be hard to ensure low lag and similar skill ranking, often that is the main criteria and everything else is in your head.

Sure the pool is large enough they could manipulate matching, but considering the natural randomness that exists based on how Elo is handled (pay to win means occasionally people will be over leveled and get easy wins until they reach a matching Elo,!good players will punch above their weight and occasionally fight players higher ranked, some players go on losing streaks and then may face people lower leveled).... I'd be surprised if they do anything more. The natural mechanics of the game, and the fact that more cards = more overall power making it easier to get out of your bracket means people will be encouraged to pay without any shenanigans.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
We have 5 places open at GAF Royale (#Q8C9CY) pls! In your application remember to mention your NeoGaf affiliation and/or post to forums for your most convinient approval.

I put in my application. If you don't mind someone just starting out that is. My app should show up as Ricochet. This game is fun as hell by the way. I don't even care that I get stuck at a certain trophy level. It's a hell of a feeling when you beat someone who has a lot better cards than you.

Wow. I was just about to post that I requested to join, but I got accepted so fast that I didn't get to it. Thanks for the quick response.

demigod

I'm still missing ice wizard. Should I drop to arena 5 for a chance to get him or can I still get him at arena 6/7?

drotahorror

Your matchmaking is flawed when every game I fight someone 1 or 2 higher levels and EVERY GAME someone has a jouster guy and/or dragon. I have neither. Can't believe how many chests I've opened and can't get those 2 OP ass fuckin cards. I know no one uses them at high levels but I'm still level 4 and they're everywhere. Every game.

And since I'm middish level now I have to deal with those 2 stupid ass units and the 4 barbarian dudes.

Yea I really can't handle this. I've lost like 10 in a row. All because of the fuckin joust guy. I fucking hate this game.

Yea I really can't handle this. I've lost like 10 in a row. All because of the fuckin joust guy. I fucking hate this game.

Prince is relatively easily countered with cheap ground troops. Try the 1 Elixir Skeletons. They take him on pretty well with assistance from tower arrows, and they leave you with a nice Elixir advantage afterwards. I also keep Barbarians in my deck as another possible counter to Prince, although they're far more expensive Elixir-wise.

Any ground swarm cards counter Prince. Pop them while the Prince is in your tower range. Whenever you get Prince you'll realise he's not as strong or ez win as you'd think.

Barbs are countered by Wiz, Bomber, Bomb Tower or Minion/Horde. A same level Fireball will leave them low enough for your tower to one shot.

Dragon is countered by a well placed Tesla. Or any tank + ranged combo. He can also be brute forced killed rather quickly.

Is the crossbow any good?

I don't have one but I feel like that thing would be amazingly annoying for the other guy.

I've only seen them like twice and I'm sitting around 1600.

drotahorror

Thanks for the tips. I guess I should change my deck up some, I was following this guide since I have these cards https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueEUsI31ZFY

I use valkyrie instead of the knight though. I actually see zero reasons to use a knight over the valk. Well I guess he has slightly more dps because of faster attacks but that doesn't make up for the aoe the valk brings.

Is the crossbow any good?

I don't have one but I feel like that thing would be amazingly annoying for the other guy.

I've only seen them like twice and I'm sitting around 1600.

They are super annoying I personally prefer Mortar because of the price, less setup time and ignores more targets.

wonderpug

Neo Member
Your matchmaking is flawed when every game I fight someone 1 or 2 higher levels and EVERY GAME someone has a jouster guy and/or dragon. I have neither. Can't believe how many chests I've opened and can't get those 2 OP ass fuckin cards. I know no one uses them at high levels but I'm still level 4 and they're everywhere. Every game.

And since I'm middish level now I have to deal with those 2 stupid ass units and the 4 barbarian dudes.

Check out this video on how to pull with the skeletons. The tactic can work on the prince (jouster), the baby dragon, and the 4 barbarians. For 1 elixer you can lead any of those units on a wild goose chase while your towers pelt away.

Also, if you've got the tombstone unlocked, try putting one in front of a charging prince. You will feel happy.

Top Bottom