• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just got a wizard and zap, but not sure how they'd fit in my deck right now. I have a decent witch but I'm not even using her at the moment. How does a wizard vary from the witch? I like how the witch spits out skellies which gives her some buffer from attack

Just got a wizard and zap, but not sure how they'd fit in my deck right now. I have a decent witch but I'm not even using her at the moment. How does a wizard vary from the witch? I like how the witch spits out skellies which gives her some buffer from attack

Wizard is a squishier version of Baby Dragon, but hits harder, and at a better range. He's essentially ranged crowd control.

Witch, as you mentioned, does crowd creation, along with her own ranged attack. She's somewhat multi-faceted, I'm not sure she has an absolute specific use, at least not any more so than being a really expensive version of the 1 Elixir Skeletons.

Zap is great if you run the Bomb Tower/Hog Rider deck that another Gaffer posted several pages ago. It's a cheap way to eliminate low HP defenders and stun the tower briefly.

Post your deck, it'll make it easier to figure out whether any of these units would fit well.

Agent

I changed up my deck to the popular one on Clash TV these days. Prince / Dark Prince / PEKKA / Minion Horde / Princess / Arrows / Freeze / Elixir Collector. It's been working out quite well. I've only been outplayed once, and that was mainly because I didn't get my collector until about 4 cards in so I was very behind in Elixir at that point. With the deck when you are behind in Elixir you're screwed.

I kind of feel bad using it. Most people I've gone against don't decks that can handle a simultaneous Dark Prince / Prince left lane push and a PEKKA/Princess right lane push. By the time you take care of one side the other side is bearing down on a tower and they're out of Elixir to defend. Minion Horde can clean up in either lane at that point. My three crown rate has gone up dramatically because when the train gets rolling your opponent is screwed.

I should probably change up my deck/strategy some. I've had some good luck with what I've been running, but I just can't quite crack that 1700 barrier, and sometimes I'll tank hard for 200-300 trophies, but then I usually get them back fairly quickly.

Here's my deck:

lv 7 Minions
lv 5 Minion Horde
lv 3 Prince
lv 2 Giant Skelly
lv 7 spear goblins
lv 5 musketeer
lv 5 valk
lv 2 skeleton horde

lv 7 castle with about 600 xp to go

My opening move, when available, is this: I let my elixir go all the way up to 10, and just as it does, drop a valkyrie and giant skeleton all the way forward onto a bridge. Usually the opponent overreacts and drops their whole elixir wad. Sometimes they'll have dropped a witch behind the castle or a musketeer, sometimes they'll go crazy with air defense. Either way, as soon as the counter hits 5, I'm ready to drop a prince on the OTHER side. Most of the time, the prince connects, and at lv 3, he takes out the castle solo if they can't scramble any defense. And even if they do put out some low elixir unit like spear gobs or something, he still chews through them and a good 1300 hp on the castle. Meanwhile, the giant skelly on the other side hopefully put a dent in the first castle and too out whatever defensive troops they sent out.

...and at that point, I have a pretty good head start to work with.

BUT... I can feel my shtick starting to lose its effectiveness. Anyone have any advice? I have some okay cards out of the deck. My wizard will be lv 3 with one more card. Some of my buildings are getting pretty high, but I've never really gone that style. I have a mirror, zap lv 6, lightning lv 2. No pekka. Rocket, inferno tower and hog rider are all lv 4.

EDIT: :(

Vyer

This game just ends up pissing me off more than anything else. For my stress level's sake I think I'm just gonna delete. The weird stretches of winning and losing streaks just put me off.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wizard is a squishier version of Baby Dragon, but hits harder, and at a better range. He's essentially ranged crowd control.

Witch, as you mentioned, does crowd creation, along with her own ranged attack. She's somewhat multi-faceted, I'm not sure she has an absolute specific use, at least not any more so than being a really expensive version of the 1 Elixir Skeletons.

Zap is great if you run the Bomb Tower/Hog Rider deck that another Gaffer posted several pages ago. It's a cheap way to eliminate low HP defenders and stun the tower briefly.

Post your deck, it'll make it easier to figure out whether any of these units would fit well.

Currently: (1485 trophies start of arena 5)
Barbarians (lv 8)
Bomb tower (lv 5)
Knight (lv 7)
Hog rider (lv 5)
Arrows (lv 8)
Spear goblins (lv 7)
Musketeer (lv 6)
Freeze (lv 2)

Stock cards: zap (3); wizard (2); archers (8); giant (5); witch (3); Valkyrie (5); skellys (8); bomb Skelly (8); Skelly army (2); giant skeleton (3); baby dragon (2); prince (3); goblins (8); goblin hut (5); goblin barrel (3); fireball (5); lightning (2); minions (7); minion horde (7); tombstone (5); balloon (2); cannon (7); barb hut (5); rocket (5); xbow (2); rage (3); tesla (7); inferno tower (5); mini pekka (5); pekka (2)

Bisonian

The "GAF" clan has a spot open. 20,000 trophies total, extremely active donations. Please say that you're from the board and post your GT if you apply, we are automatically declining generic requests. Thanks!

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
This game just ends up pissing me off more than anything else. For my stress level's sake I think I'm just gonna delete. The weird stretches of winning and losing streaks just put me off.

The past few days I've just been jumping on to open a chest, play and win one match to fill that spot again, then hop off. If I'm feeling good I'll fill up my crown chest, but then wait until it's available again before trying to win some more. Much more relaxing this way than stressing out about higher Arenas.

zashga

I've been hovering around 1300 trophies for a week or two. I run an extremely basic composition of mostly tutorial/arena 1 cards (knight, archers, musketeer, arrows, giant, Valkyrie, baby dragon, skeleton army), so that may be limiting me a bit. Card upgrades are so slow now that I may be losing interest. Pretty fun little game, all things considered.

Currently: (1485 trophies start of arena 5)
Barbarians (lv 8)
Bomb tower (lv 5)
Knight (lv 7)
Hog rider (lv 5)
Arrows (lv 8)
Spear goblins (lv 7)
Musketeer (lv 6)
Freeze (lv 2)

Stock cards: zap (3); wizard (2); archers (8); giant (5); witch (3); Valkyrie (5); skellys (8); bomb Skelly (8); Skelly army (2); giant skeleton (3); baby dragon (2); prince (3); goblins (8); goblin hut (5); goblin barrel (3); fireball (5); lightning (2); minions (7); minion horde (7); tombstone (5); balloon (2); cannon (7); barb hut (5); rocket (5); xbow (2); rage (3); tesla (7); inferno tower (5); mini pekka (5); pekka (2)

You've got a really similar deck to mine, and I'm hovering around 1600 trophies with mostly lower leveled versions of the same units. I have Skeletons instead of Knight, Zap instead of Freeze, and I did have Baby Dragon instead of Spear Goblins, but I recently switched back to Spear Goblins, not sure what to do with that slot.

Skeletons are super useful given their 1 Elixir cost, I'd recommend taking them for a spin. Zap vs. Freeze is a toss up. Zap is cheaper Elixir cost, has a smaller range, only stuns for a short time, but does kill low HP enemies. Give it a try if you haven't yet.

DrkSage

Ok so after watching lots of YouTube videos of people opening chests I managed to know when a chest is going to give you an epic card (at least with golden chest) now I know when to get my hopes upand when not to.

hollomat

Banned
Ok so after watching lots of YouTube videos of people opening chests I managed to know when a chest is going to give you an epic card (at least with golden chest) now I know when to get my hopes upand when not to.

If a silver chest has 3 cards, you definitely got an epic.

DrkSage

I'm speechless.... The deck that took me to 2616 trophies just knocked me down to 2242.... What's more difficult to believe it's that all the deck I was paired up against had rocket or poison.... I don't believe this game pairs you up with other people that have deck that counter yours.... But when shit like this happens you really sit back and wonder...

drotahorror

Check out this video on how to pull with the skeletons. The tactic can work on the prince (jouster), the baby dragon, and the 4 barbarians. For 1 elixer you can lead any of those units on a wild goose chase while your towers pelt away.

Also, if you've got the tombstone unlocked, try putting one in front of a charging prince. You will feel happy.

Nice yeah I got a tombstone. Actually got the barbs today too, so I'm happy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You've got a really similar deck to mine, and I'm hovering around 1600 trophies with mostly lower leveled versions of the same units. I have Skeletons instead of Knight, Zap instead of Freeze, and I did have Baby Dragon instead of Spear Goblins, but I recently switched back to Spear Goblins, not sure what to do with that slot.

Skeletons are super useful given their 1 Elixir cost, I'd recommend taking them for a spin. Zap vs. Freeze is a toss up. Zap is cheaper Elixir cost, has a smaller range, only stuns for a short time, but does kill low HP enemies. Give it a try if you haven't yet.

Aren't skeletons weak against anything with splash damage though? I like the Knights resilience, although my barbs can cover that at higher cost. Will give both a try, thanks. Might enjoy the lower elixir cost, but may also try baby dragon as it'd be better against melee or bomb towers

JoeNut

Hey guys just a reminder Neogaf Elite is looking for new active players, no trophy requirements, currently 44 of us, clear out of poor donators coming this weekend. Just let me know your user id from Gaf in your request , cheers

wonderpug

Neo Member
Can someone recommend a deck for getting over the Builder's Workshop 1700 trophy threshold? I can get up to mid 1600s every now and then but can't seem to make the last push once I start encountering decks with Arena 6 & 7 cards.

As far as cards, I've got just about everything unlocked for my level aside from the Rage spell. I've got card level 7 for most commons, level 4 for rares, and 1 or 2 for epics.

Aren't skeletons weak against anything with splash damage though? I like the Knights resilience, although my barbs can cover that at higher cost. Will give both a try, thanks. Might enjoy the lower elixir cost, but may also try baby dragon as it'd be better against melee or bomb towers

Yes, Skeletons are the weakest HP unit in the game, very easy to take out. But they're super cheap at only 1 Elixir, and they counter certain units extremely well. A Giant unsupported is easy prey for Skeletons. A Prince can be taken out pretty well with Skeletons and support from the Tower. Drop them right on top of a Wizard or Witch, and they'll do some serious damage.

Skeletons are all about getting the Elixir advantage in this game. If you take out a unit your opponent played for 5 Elixir with your 1 Elixir Skeletons, you just gained a 4 Elixir advantage on him. And there isn't anything that can take out Skeletons that doesn't cost your opponent more Elixir. He can take them out easily with Zap or Arrows, but those are 1 and 2 Elixir more expensive respectively.

Another great feature of Skeletons is that they churn your deck quickly if needed. Just last night I was playing someone, and we were down to the last few seconds of overtime, with neither of us having taken a Tower down, but I was super close to destroying one of his two. I didn't have any units near it, but I had Arrows in my deck along with Skeletons. I shot my Arrows at the Tower to take it down to its last few remaining HP, and I noticed Zap was in my on-deck circle. I just dropped my Skeletons super quickly, not caring where they ended up, just so I could churn the deck to get to Zap, which I used on the opponent's Tower to get me the victory with 2 seconds remaining. Skeletons are such a useful card.

Dunlop

I've ht a wall with this game, I can get to about 1850 consistently but with a single deck, bomb tower/hog/freeze.

Then I try to make any other deck without these cards and will spiral down until I go back to that deck again.

I've tried so many variants I think I am at like 1300 now lol

zoukka

Just broke 3000, f2p deck if you don't count the 10 euros I put into it right at the start *cough* for science.

There's a clear paywall with both legendaries. You need the princess for the OP deck everyone plays (both knights, pump, pekka and princess) or the Ice Wizard for more defensive decks like the mortar.

Princess needs a nerf.

hollomat

Banned
Just broke 3000, f2p deck if you don't count the 10 euros I put into it right at the start *cough* for science.

There's a clear paywall with both legendaries. You need the princess for the OP deck everyone plays (both knights, pump, pekka and princess) or the Ice Wizard for more defensive decks like the mortar.

Princess needs a nerf.

Agreed. Right now I'm f2p and hovering around 2600, but I'm getting killed by ice wizard and princess. They are way too efficient for the cost.

A Super Magical Chest gave me 6 epics, 1 rare:

U8RtjMr.jpg

It was nuts. It also coincided with me losing 500 trophy in a row

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
On a huge losing streak, even spaced out between multiple play sessions and days.

Switching decks, notta, ugh.

On the verge of uninstalling this, from 1400 trophies to 1000. Rock, Paper, Scissors gameplay basically and everyone counters my deck lately no matter what I switch to.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
When does the timer on the crown cheat start counting down? Is it when I fight my first battle after it unlocks, or is it after I win my first crown?

Dry_Bones

1670 trophies

Giant Skeleton (2)
Prince (2)
Skeleton Army (2)
Baby Dragon (2)
Hog Rider (5)
Mini P.E.K.K.A. (5)
Musketeer (5)
Arrows (7)

It works most of the times .. I really like the Giant Skeleton and from what I see here not a lot of people have it in their decks .. I believe that it helps a lot not only in the offensive but defensively as well because of the huge damage that his dropped bomb does ..

I have epics of:

Baby dragon
Rage
Prince
Skeleton army
Giant skeleton
X-bow

But I am only using baby dragon rage and prince.
are the other 3 worth building a deck around?

nampad

I have epics of:

Baby dragon
Rage
Prince
Skeleton army
Giant skeleton
X-bow

But I am only using baby dragon rage and prince.
are the other 3 worth building a deck around?

I used Giant Skeleton a lot for a while and it got me up to arena 6.
Thinking about it now, I was more successful with it than with my latest deck, lol

Why isn't Musketeer used more in high level play?

I just switched in the Wizard even though I used to love the Musketeer. The added splash damage is just so useful and a good trade for 1 more elixir cost and a but less DPS. On the top level people might have the Princess for their range attacks or build around strong tanks so they need some cheaper troops like Archers.

ElyrionX

I just switched in the Wizard even though I used to love the Musketeer. The added splash damage is just so useful and a good trade for 1 more elixir cost and a but less DPS. On the top level people might have the Princess for their range attacks or build around strong tanks so they need some cheaper troops like Archers.

Just did the same.

I also switched out barbs for Mini Pekka because I found that running Minion Horde and the two Goblins plus barbs made me too vulnerable to Wizard-backed pushes.

yatesl

How is this game on Bluestacks? My phone has died so I've had to send it off and bought a... "budget" £17.99 Android phone for 2 weeks. The only problem? It can't run this game, and I'm getting withdrawal after just 24 hours.

I keep getting cards for stuff I never upgrade. It's like the game knows, man :(
It evens out your cards, that's why.

You'll notice that when you progress to a new arena and unlock new cards it will just constantly dish you that new card.

There's an element of random involved, yes, but your card count for each card will roughly speaking even themselves out.

Right now the game is obsessed with giving me Royal Giants. Which I guess would be handy if I wanted to use him, but I don't.

broz0rs

You'd think that when you hit Arena 7 you'll be rewarded with more cards, but i'm starting to learn that I'm not the only one where Royal Giant card is given more than any other card.

Elven_Star

Just got into the game today and I'm ADDICTED.....
Get out while you still can. It just becomes much harder later. Uninstalled yesterday, and been back to FFX HD since. Life is good again. The problem with these games is that there's 0 sense of achievement in them, unless you're at the very top, and that takes too much time/money. At least that's how I feel.

You'd think that when you hit Arena 7 you'll be rewarded with more cards, but i'm starting to learn that I'm not the only one where Royal Giant card is given more than any other card.
See the post I just made above, it evens things out.

You can kind of understand why they do this, because once you're up to the Royal Arena your troops are going to be level 7+, whereas if you only got a Royal Giant once in a while you have zero incentive to use it because it'll be weak in comparison.

If they buffed it's base stats so that a level 1 was a powerful machine then when you level it up it'd be too OP and people would stop using the lower arena troops meaning a less varied game.

Finding the game quite boring now at Arena 7. Too many Bomb Tower and Mortar decks.

Too many draws, as well as people at this level are skilled at the game and you just constantly cancel each other out. Crown Chest is a pure grind right now.

I am having issues dealing with Golem and Wiz pushes.

Lure the Golem into the middle ish area with something (eg. Cannon/Tesla), then take out the exposed Wizard with whatever. Once Wizard is dead just swarm the Golem (Barbs, Minion Horde, etc). Barbs can take out the Wizard then whoop the distracted Golem.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I find the crown chest grind a bit annoying. The last couple of days I've just found my chest slots clogging up with golden chests so I can't free slots. I don't mind the occasional battle for no chest but this is annoying

And why does the gig rider path finding mess up sometimes? Just had a match where I had the King tower down to 170 health and dropped a hog rider on the right side on their side of the river, and he ignored the King tower completely and went right across the map to the fully healthy left tower so I missed out on two crowns

Dunlop

Does anyone ever go on a long winning streak?

Built a new crazy low cost deck, won about 7 out of 10 matches and then just a endless stream of opponents that seem to have the perfect counterdeck

Remy

Our weekly purge in NeoGAF (#2OY9PQ) has been completed and we have three spots open.

Join requests must include your GAF handle, and a reply to this post will help us locate your account.

Top Bottom