• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

Alur

So all the top players seem to use elixer collectors, anyone got any tips on how to make them worthwhile? every time i play someone who uses them, i win.

I've beaten all but one Elixir Collector I've faced as well between 1800-1950. I think in my case it's more of the opponent making errors than it not being a good card, though.

As for Bomb Towers, they suck. I lost 6 in a row from 1925 to ~1750 something and every game had a Bomb Tower. This game really puts you on tilt for some reason after the second straight loss...may as well just not play for a bit if you lose two in a row and wait til later. Unfortunately I had no chests to open, so I felt obligated to play til I had at least one.

First chest I get? Magical Chest. Had 1 Golem and 3 Prince's in it. Talk about feeling cheated. I was hoping it'd have some Hog Riders...I'm 2 away from a level 6 Hog Rider. Dat power spike.

Lexxism

This game really puts you on tilt for some reason after the second straight loss...may as well just not play for a bit if you lose two in a row and wait til later. Unfortunately I had no chests to open, so I felt obligated to play til I had at least one.
I definitely agree on this. There are times when I'm like 1 loss in 10 games and then suddenly I'll lose 6 straight when I played to get some chest lol

Alur

I've crawled back up to 1933. So close to that arena 7 goodness. I will probably just idle here til I can request the two cards I need to get Hog Rider leveled and then try to push on to 2000.

Seel

Neo Member
Clash Royale revenues top $80 million in first month.
Clash Royale became the top grossing mobile game in the world in March, with revenues of more than $80 million across iOS and Android. Based on its performance in March alone, Clash Royale could be a new billion-dollar-a-year franchise for the Finnish developer. Worth noting is this $80 million does not include the 30% cut given to the Google and Apple app stores.

Supercell must be thrilled :) .

ElyrionX

I've seen on TV Royale how some guys can place the hog rider at the furthest corner of the map just before the river crossing and the hog rider will jump across the river instead of running across the bridge. I tried doing this but it doesn't seem to work. My hog rider will always run across the bridge even if I immediately place a unit down beside him to "block" his path.

Ruddles72

My god. I'm having the worst shit on me. I went from 1290 to 1078 within 24h. Dammit

I had exactly the same thing happen (many times) and I folded last night, leaving a gap in the NEOGAF clan. Thanks for having me along, great chat, lots of card donations, I kept playing longer than I would have done because of the clan.

I think the Arena structure and the power creep of cards at each level causes real frustration. If you think of each Arena like a "league", you'd expect competition at the top of the league to get tougher. But the top levels in each Arena also have a bunch of players that have been in the higher Arena and got bumped down (lower skill, bad luck). For example, top of Arena 4 has a bunch of players with some cards from Arena 5.

This creates natural frustration as towards the top of Arena 4 I started hitting players with fire mages from Arena 5 (a card I really struggled to counter with my deck). It creates a natural block in progression and an artificial difficulty wall when at the top of each Arena your competition has cards that are simply better, and you can't access them yet! At that point, you can grind it out (which takes freaking forever, the purchase prices get obscene), or give up, or buy gems / gold for "that little push I need to get to the next Arena"

It's a fun game and I enjoyed my time with it. But there's less frustrating ways to pass the time. I recommend Warbits to anyone wanting a good iOS strategy game.

broz0rs

I think the Arena structure and the power creep of cards at each level causes real frustration. If you think of each Arena like a "league", you'd expect competition at the top of the league to get tougher. But the top levels in each Arena also have a bunch of players that have been in the higher Arena and got bumped down (lower skill, bad luck). For example, top of Arena 4 has a bunch of players with some cards from Arena 5.

This creates natural frustration as towards the top of Arena 4 I started hitting players with fire mages from Arena 5 (a card I really struggled to counter with my deck). It creates a natural block in progression and an artificial difficulty wall when at the top of each Arena your competition has cards that are simply better, and you can't access them yet! At that point, you can grind it out (which takes freaking forever, the purchase prices get obscene), or give up, or buy gems / gold for "that little push I need to get to the next Arena"

so you're basically saying you can't adjust your deck to counter a wizard? lol

i'm pretty certain if you ask in a gaf clan chat, you'll get numerous suggestions. wizards are easily countered by Arena 4 and below cards.

as far as better cards as you progress in Arena, that is entirely not true. for instance, wizard is the only new unit in Arena 5 (not counting the incredibly rare ice wizard), and the other cards that you unlock in 5, 6, and 7 aren't all that essential. I'm estimating that 80% of available cards are unlocked by Arena 4. those cards are all you really need to do well in the game.

You can also just adjust the playstyle. You can drop barbs or gobs on top of wizards to surround it, instead of in front. Small change but it makes a huge difference.

Heck, Im sitting at 2500 trophies. My most reliable deck is mostly Arena 3 or lower. The 2 cards higher than that can be subbed for something else. The cards are: Spear Goblins, Barbs, Fireball, Spear Hut, Barb Hut, Cannon. The Ice Wiz and Elix pump can be substituted with same defensive stuff (Tesla, Bomb Tower, Knight, Arrows, Valk) or something more offensive (Giant, Musket). I just chose Ice Wiz and Pump because I like to just sit back and defend then overrun my enemy with pressure.

Someone from our clan is Lv8 (at 3100!) running a bog standard Hog Freeze deck, and he just shared a replay clowning a Lv10 enemy with higher level cards.

JoeNut

Neogaf elite has 5 spaces free, anyone wanting to join just request and put your gaf username.

Elixer collector is officially cheating, can't believe how much difference it makes

Ruddles72

i'm pretty certain if you ask in a gaf clan chat, you'll get numerous suggestions. wizards are easily countered by Arena 4 and below cards.

I'm sure that's true and entirely fair, "ask for advice and git gud" is definitely something I should have done if I had wanted to progress further in the game. And the barriers to high-level play are clearly not insurmountable, because lots of players have done so! I just reached the end of my enjoyment with this particular game, so I guess I stopped getting better and stagnated.

ElyrionX

I had exactly the same thing happen (many times) and I folded last night, leaving a gap in the NEOGAF clan. Thanks for having me along, great chat, lots of card donations, I kept playing longer than I would have done because of the clan.

It's a fun game and I enjoyed my time with it. But there's less frustrating ways to pass the time. I recommend Warbits to anyone wanting a good iOS strategy game.

Lol you can't counter a simple Wizard? Sure, blame the game instead of your own strategies and skills.

FerranMG

Feeling really frustrated for the last few days.
I'm sitting close to 2000 (1981 was my highest score, I think), but then I always have a loss streak that gets me on my nerves.
Today I was this close to rage deleting the game.

Anyone else playing with iphone 5? Ever since few patches ago the usabilty has dived. Keyboard/ web browser are constantly taking "miss clicks"... Also I have issues with playing roayle, i select the card but it does not get placed on the board when tapped. Several taps later it is placed in the wrong place.. Very annoying.. It's so bad that it's actually killing the game for me. It's very annoying to lose only because there is constant lag with placing units :(

Alur

Was it packed with epics and legendaries or did he go vanilla? It went off just now so I didn't get to see.

EDIT: This looks to be it (another streamer is using it, so levels of cards not accurate):

NKrLiKt.png

Maximus P

Game seems to have gone into 'fuck you' mode for me.

Got up to 2100 trophies and now i've dropped 500 trophies without a single win. Constantly up against the perfect counter deck for the deck i have set up which is really annoying coming up against the same deck...over and over.

Hog riders
Barbarians
Freeze
Minion Horde

Everyone uses them that i come across...well, everyone but me.

I'd like to come across people with more creativity. I haven't seen a good spam deck or building deck for a long time.

Time to put this game down for a while.

broz0rs

Was it packed with epics and legendaries or did he go vanilla? It went off just now so I didn't get to see.

EDIT: This looks to be it (another streamer is using it, so levels of cards not accurate):

lol I tried this out today because I liked the aggressive play.

I went from 2000 to 1700 and in danger of falling to Arena 5 lol. It's really not that easy to emulate what he did, especially if you fail the push you're most certainly going to lose your tower.

Alur

I did the exact same, lol. I mainly just wanted to use Elixir Collector, since I had it and had never used it. I've just never had much luck with Giant, and that continued even with the tournament winning deck.

The couple games I did win in between the overwhelming losing streak were complete stomps, though. Once it got rolling it was all down. Unfortunately I couldn't get it rolling often.

Open spots for gaf royale clan. Make sure to pm me for approval. Send me your nick on the game and ill accept. Also, if by any chance I kicked some of you guys for not donating, youre welcome back.

NKrLiKt.png

Some decks the really high level guys use don't translate to lower level decks.

At the top they tend to wait till they have full elixir and make a big push, so Pekka/Prince/Dark Prince is a good deck.

But at the lower levels you have to be prepared for all kinds of pushes that the top players dont play in the current meta.

Remy

Six clan spots have been opened in NeoGAF (#2OY9PQ). Please include your GAF handle in the clan request.

Thanks to the remaining 44 members for 5,303 donations on the week!

ElyrionX

Does anyone else think the scaling on Goblin Barrel is ridiculous? Those gobs do a shitton of damage to a tower if you're caught offguard. I saw on TV Royale a level 8 Goblin Barrel took a tower down from full to 300 health just because the defending player had no elixir.

I'm at 1500 trophies or so and have seen level 2/3 barrels absolutely kill my towers if I have no arrows to answer immediately. Seems easy to bait arrows with minion horde and then throw a barrel.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does anyone else think the scaling on Goblin Barrel is ridiculous? Those gobs do a shitton of damage to a tower if you're caught offguard. I saw on TV Royale a level 8 Goblin Barrel took a tower down from full to 300 health just because the defending player had no elixir.

I'm at 1500 trophies or so and have seen level 2/3 barrels absolutely kill my towers if I have no arrows to answer immediately. Seems easy to bait arrows with minion horde and then throw a barrel.

Nah. You see it coming from miles away so no excuse not to counter. You don't need arrows - any low elixir unit will kill them quick

I really, really believe there's something fishy with the matchmaking.

I was in the mid-high 1800s (and as high as 1900 flat) for a handful of days. I was spending most of the week bouncing between 1800 and 1875 -- never far out of that range. Then I leveled up one of my Epic cards to Level 2. So I thought to myself: "Finally, I'll have the deck to nudge higher than 1900!"

Instead, if felt like there was an immediate and super-aggressive response in the matchmaking. After leveling up the Epic, I lost battle after battle after battle, until I'd fallen as low as 1575. Mind you: I'd not been below 1650 for over 10 days. But suddenly I was getting trashed game in, game out. And -- here's the kicker -- during this massive slide downwards, I was facing people who had absolutely ridiculous decks for their trophy level. In two games, I fought decks with Legendary cards (I assume they're Legendary cards?) that I'd never previously seen, even though the decks were at, say, 1600-1650.

It really, really seemed that the game kicked me over into a parallel ladder as soon as I leveled up that Epic card. I still haven't completely recovered. I'm now consistently in the 1750 range again, but I'm not back to consistently being in the 1800s (where I'd previously spent about a week).

This isn't the first time I've had this kind of thing happen to me. It's been happening routinely since I started playing. But this was the most stark experience.

Remy

Can you play this on iPad and iPhone, with it syncing your status between them? Any caveats in doing that?

You can, just make sure you sign into GameCenter on the device you start on (make sure you see the Welcome Back white GC banner). The other device should prompt to auto-sync when you start up for the first time.

I would make sure you don't get too far before making sure the sync works - if one device isn't signing into GC properly you can end up with the wrong account bound to GC, and you have to reach out to Supercell if you need to fix that.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews

I was in the mid-high 1800s (and as high as 1900 flat) for a handful of days. I was spending most of the week bouncing between 1800 and 1875 -- never far out of that range. Then I leveled up one of my Epic cards to Level 2. So I thought to myself: "Finally, I'll have the deck to nudge higher than 1900!"

Instead, if felt like there was an immediate and super-aggressive response in the matchmaking. After leveling up the Epic, I lost battle after battle after battle, until I'd fallen as low as 1575. Mind you: I'd not been below 1650 for over 10 days. But suddenly I was getting trashed game in, game out. And -- here's the kicker -- during this massive slide downwards, I was facing people who had absolutely ridiculous decks for their trophy level. In two games, I fought decks with Legendary cards (I assume they're Legendary cards?) that I'd never previously seen, even though the decks were at, say, 1600-1650.

It really, really seemed that the game kicked me over into a parallel ladder as soon as I leveled up that Epic card. I still haven't completely recovered. I'm now consistently in the 1750 range again, but I'm not back to consistently being in the 1800s (where I'd previously spent about a week).

This isn't the first time I've had this kind of thing happen to me. It's been happening routinely since I started playing. But this was the most stark experience.
Look, I don't know if there are such shennanigans at play but the most probable thing is that the meta around your trophy level changed/you got matched up against people with decks that played well against yours. That's it.

Your intuition is trying to find a link between two events and that's normal, that's how we're wired.

just git gud

Rodelero

Look, I don't know if there are such shennanigans at play but the most probable thing is that the meta around your trophy level changed/you got matched up against people with decks that played well against yours. That's it.

Your intuition is trying to find a link between two events and that's normal, that's how we're wired.

Where Supercell are involved, I don't think the matchmaking system being naive is the most probable thing.

JoeNut

Elven, you didn't put you were from neogaf, so i rejected you because i thought you were a random, if i'd known, you are welcome to join

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Although there have been other theories floating around about this kind of stuff, I think it's just bad luck. I've lost hundreds of cups in a single play session before (I think 600 was the most I lost at once - just do the math on that one, that's a lot of losses), but I've also gained hundreds of cups in a sitting. It's like pro sports. Some days you just throw 5 interceptions or strike out 4 times. Other days you dominate.

Top Bottom