• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

A level 5 fireball does 190 crown tower damage(474 to everything else)
Comparatively level 3 Poison does 200 damage(500 to everything else) over 10 seconds

It's really a situation of what works best for you. Poison has the upside of being a huge aoe that lasts 10 seconds and slows, fireball is instant damage. With Poison, you can blanket their whole lane on one side whilst hitting the tower, guaranteeing that anything they put down will get damaged, Fireball is good for instantly taking out units though and if you have a deck that can be swarmed easily, fireball might be the better choice(Although really it's an in between rocket and arrow, as such it's not as good for most high hp. units)

I completely forgot about the levels of my cards. I think I'll stick with fireball then as it's a level 5 and my poison is still only level 1. Maybe when I find more poison cards I'll use it instead. I also wouldn't be surprised to see poison get a buff with the upcoming inevitable freeze spell nerf. I think they'll want more people to try other spells.

Agent

I completely forgot about the levels of my cards. I think I'll stick with fireball then as it's a level 5 and my poison is still only level 1. Maybe when I find more poison cards I'll use it instead. I also wouldn't be surprised to see poison get a buff with the upcoming inevitable freeze spell nerf. I think they'll want more people to try other spells.

They gave Rage and Poison a small buff in the last patch to encourage people to use them more. I rarely ever come across Rage. I come across Poison, but not all that often. Rage is deadly if you can get the right combo of cards down and catch someone off guard. Poison is a good value as you can use it offensively and defensively. Fireball you have to be careful with the chance to completely miss a target if it is moving.

From the 3/23 patch notes:

Rage: Gives 40% movement and attack speed boost (from 35%), duration decreased by 20%

Rage can be an exciting and surprising card to see in action, but it's currently not quite strong enough to make the cut in most decks. By increasing the boost to 40% and lowering the duration, Rage will be a more intense and stronger offensive tool overall.
Poison: Damage increased by 5%

Poison has fairly low use rates. A bit of damage over time will make it a more interesting choice next to Fireball and the other damage spells.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Am I gaining anything by continuing to play when I'm maxed on chests?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yes. The higher the arena the better the rewards from chests.

But the chests you already have are based on the arena you won them in.

You still win trophies so you can move up to higher arenas, but if you do that too much you'll be underpowered because you won't have opened many chests to get upgrades

I only usually battle with full chests if I need a couple of points to unlock a crown chest. Usually prefer not to though

Urgh I was feeling very pleased with myself for hitting arena 6, but I kept screwing up and losing and am back down to 1500 trophies. Fuck freeze.

The trainer AI is the weirdest thing ever. Did you just place your troops at the start of the match? Instant Freeze, even if you place your troops beside your castle.

JoeNut

The trainer AI is the weirdest thing ever. Did you just place your troops at the start of the match? Instant Freeze, even if you place your troops beside your castle.

yeah it must be hard to program the ai to be realistic due to how different everyone plays

So i have 2000 coins and the choice to upgrade either cannon or minions to level 8 - i am thinking cannon but not sure, minions tend to get taken out with arrows mot of the time but are good if they get the chance to go near a tower / defend

nampad

Damn this game is fucking me up so much. I am on vacation right now and the internet seems to be super shitty. I don't know how the connection can be lost all the time ONLY for me because the opponent can drop new enemies but I am not able to do anything. And why does it drop in the middle of every game when before everything ran fine?

The worst is the stupid smack talk when you lose due to connection issues. Sure, you are so great at this game and beat me while not noticing that I didn't do anything for 2 minutes? How about the first minute when I kicked your ass?

wonderpug

Neo Member
I wish you could mute your opponent's emotes like you can in Hearthstone. In my trophy bracket at least, most people are pretty polite, but there's always a bad apple every now and then to drive you nuts.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I wish you could mute your opponent's emotes like you can in Hearthstone. In my trophy bracket at least, most people are pretty polite, but there's always a bad apple every now and then to drive you nuts.

Probably the most requested feature. I'm pretty surprised that they haven't included it. I've learned to ignore the taunts. I only use "good luck" and "good game", and sometimes the angry face when I screw up.

wonderpug

Neo Member
Can you just fight your friends in this game or is it just like every othee mobile game where you can't?

If you're in the same clan you can do a friendly match with each other. Not sure if there's a way to punch in someone's name and battle someone outside your clan. You don't make any progress toward unlocks or anything in a friendly match.

Durden77

If you're in the same clan you can do a friendly match with each other. Not sure if there's a way to punch in someone's name and battle someone outside your clan. You don't make any progress toward unlocks or anything in a friendly match.

Oh sweet! I always wondered why more games didn't do this like Boom Beach. I'll actually play this now.

Tobinishi

Started playing on Saturday and I'm hooked. Fun little game that has enough depth to keep me interested.

I'm at Level 4 but still learning and trying out different strategies, etc. Would love to continue getting better, so are there still any open slots in the neogaf clans?

Agent

Finally hit 3000 trophies. The best part is I did it against a Mortar deck. Felt good after the salt mine I posted the other day about Mortar decks. I still feel the same way about building spam though. :p

I'm sure I will go into a 300 trophy free fall now.

Lexxism

Man, I'm stucked at 1300 trophies and I'm still level 6. I dont think I would like to move to Arena 5 being this underlevel.

Dazzler

Goblin Barrel is fast becoming my favourite card. Toss down some minions to force opponent into using arrows, then drop goblin barrel on one of their towers and you'll easily knock a chunk off before they can counter

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Finally hit 3000 trophies. The best part is I did it against a Mortar deck. Felt good after the salt mine I posted the other day about Mortar decks. I still feel the same way about building spam though. :p

I'm sure I will go into a 300 trophy free fall now.

Congrats :) and F@#$# all shitty mortar deck users.

Goblin Barrel is fast becoming my favourite card. Toss down some minions to force opponent into using arrows, then drop goblin barrel on one of their towers and you'll easily knock a chunk off before they can counter

Your opponents don't have Zap in addition to Arrows, huh? I use it offensively to support my Hog Rider, and use Arrows to defend my Bomb Tower from Minions, but Zap also mows down Goblin Barrels at a lesser Elixir cost than Arrows.

Dazzler

Your opponents don't have Zap in addition to Arrows, huh? I use it offensively to support my Hog Rider, and use Arrows to defend my Bomb Tower from Minions, but Zap also mows down Goblin Barrels at a lesser Elixir cost than Arrows.

Nobody at Arena 5 I've come up against seems to carry more than one projectile card

I only carry arrows and have always found it to be sufficient

I don't see how you guys are moving up. I'm struggling in Arena 4 mightily. I got bumped back down to 3 and now I'm back in 4 scared to play.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I'm so good at this game actually. All I do is win. As soon as I can come up with a couple thousand USD to buy my way to the upper echelons I think I'm going to go pro.

ElyrionX

I want to play this but I am level 7/A6 and don't have the card.

Durden77

I spent way too many gems early on to open chests so I could get to level 3 and play with my friend. Then I realize you have to have 1000 gold to start a clan.

Great. Chests take way too long to open.

Agent

Some news on the next update. http://forum.supercell.net/showthread.php/1112866-Consistency-At-The-Top

When looking to improve the balance of Tournament Rules gameplay, we also took a look at max level gameplay and found some clear areas for improvement. In the next update we're going to bring a few changes that will make gameplay feel consistent from the Tournament Rules all the way to the very top.

Currently, max level gameplay doesn't accurately reflect how Tournament Rules gameplay feels, so we're addressing it with the following changes:

- Legendary level cap: 5 (from 6)
- Epic level cap: 8 (stays the same)
- Rare level cap: 11 (from 10)
- Common level cap: 13 (from 12)
- King level cap: 13 (from 12)

These changes will ensure a consistent experience when playing either at the top or in a Friendly Battle under Tournament Rules. We consider Tournament Rules to be the basis for competitive Clash Royale play, and in the future we're going to support this more in-game.

In conjunction with the above we wanted bring a couple of other complementary changes:

Firstly, we're going to reduce the amount of Epic Cards it takes to upgrade from level 7 to level 8 - down to 200 cards, from 300 cards. You may be wondering what happens to players who already have level 8 epics or level 6 legendaries? Simple! When the update arrives, anyone with cards above the new caps will automatically receive Gem refunds for every card over the cap.

Secondly, Legendary Cards will occasionally appear in the Shop once you've made it to the Legendary Arena! We know Legendary Cards can be quite hard to obtain, and even harder to upgrade, so this change will help more players get their hands on them.

Bonus info: We're also re-working the Gold cost of cards in the Shop to scale in a linear fashion (i.e. 20, 40, 60, 80) - and not exponentially as it currently does (i.e. 40, 56, 78, 109) - making them much more reasonably priced overall.

One final thing to note, and something we'd like to stress, is that we've always considered maxing out your cards to be a very long-term goal for most players - it's your long-term progression in Clash Royale. We're going to be emphasizing the importance of Tournament Rules in the future and that's where we see most players focusing their attention.

All of the changes above are coming with the next update - current ETA is early next month.

Legendary cards showing up on the shop in Legendary Arena is nice. Granted, it will still only apply to a small part of the population but at least there is another path to get them. Cheaper shop cards is nice as well. I don't buy them unless I am extremely close to leveling up a common card/rare card.

hollomat

Banned
200 is still a lot of epic cards considering you can only receive one in a donation.

Will you be able to donate/receive epic cards in the new update? Didn't see it mentioned.

I wonder what the cost will be for the legendary cards in the shop. Based on super cells admission that legendary cards are 20 times as rare, I wouldn't be surprised to see them cost $40k gold (2,000 gold cost of epic times 20).

Edit: One guy who has lvl 6 legendaries on multiple accounts is asking on the supercell forums what they'll give him back for the change. It'd be impossible to calculate gems since they only come in chests and can't be bought. Plus he's probably spent at least $10-15k just to get the legendaries from 5 to 6.

MadmanUK

Finally seem to be getting consistent and moved up to the 7th Arena. Stopped using zap and found acid much more versatile.

Deck I'm using is:-

Spear goblins
Barbarians
Babby dragon
Bomb tower
Acid
Musketeer
Minion Horde
Hog rider

This may sound kind of paranoid but does anyone else hear a hissing/static sound from the external speaker when you turn the volume all the way down while the game is running?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I looked at this game with scorn when I first tried it...and now I'm into it enough that I turned on notifications. Crazy.

Thing is, I totally see the scam they're pulling with the chests, yet I'm putting up with it more and more. I don't think I'm the type to actually give them money, though.

broz0rs

Loved this image from r/clashroyale

My heart rate measured on a 3 mile run vs Playing Clash Royale Arena 7

st3MwLw.jpg

hollomat

Banned
Out of curiosity, do some people de-level themselves on purpose? Or do they run into a nasty losing streak like I do sometimes?

Hah! That's awesome. I've had some matches that were butt puckering for sure.

I'm usually around 2600 trophies, but I'll delevel myself to around 2200. I still get arena 7 chests, but it makes it much easier to get 3 crown wins for the crown chest and wins in general. Until I'm ready to make a push for legend it doesn't matter if I'm 2600 or 2200.

Lettuce

I still think they need to look at how many coins it take to level up after level 6, it jumps from 400 to 1000!!!, would be better if it was something like 800

*baby dragon finally appears in store*

*I buy the fuck out of it*

*trophy count jumps from 1100/1200 hell to 1500 in less than a dozen games*

fucking took long enough UGGH

Orca

Probably the most requested feature. I'm pretty surprised that they haven't included it. I've learned to ignore the taunts. I only use "good luck" and "good game", and sometimes the angry face when I screw up.

I just use 'Oops' when I start a match, then get distracted by work or whatever and look back to see one of the towers already down and my king being beset by rabble.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm usually around 2600 trophies, but I'll delevel myself to around 2200. I still get arena 7 chests, but it makes it much easier to get 3 crown wins for the crown chest and wins in general. Until I'm ready to make a push for legend it doesn't matter if I'm 2600 or 2200.

Yea, that makes sense. I can't really fault people for it given the nature of how this game works. I guess I was more surprised at seeing someone with level 6 barbarians in Arena 2.

Level 8 destroys me, sitting at level 6.

*crying emote*

*crying emote*

*crying emote*

:I

Top Bottom