• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

Maximus P

Does anyone ever go on a long winning streak?

Built a new crazy low cost deck, won about 7 out of 10 matches and then just a endless stream of opponents that seem to have the perfect counterdeck

It happens to everyone i know...

Massive win streaks often moving up 500 trophies and huge losing streaks often dropping as much.

Some people put it down to luck, but with my experience and that of friends i think the match making is designed in a way to put you against more challenging decks when your winning alot.

hollomat

Banned

Massive win streaks often moving up 500 trophies and huge losing streaks often dropping as much.

Some people put it down to luck, but with my experience and that of friends i think the match making is designed in a way to put you against more challenging decks when your winning alot.

It is. Your trophy count goes up and you face other people with a higher trophy count.

Maximus P

It is. Your trophy count goes up and you face other people with a higher trophy count.

yeah, which explains why I'm on 2300 trophies yet get smashed against players on 1700 trophies when I'm on a losing streak........

maybe i should have elaborated more...

The game puts you against a whole row of harder decks when you win a lot in a row. It doesn't matter if you drop trophies.

Durden77

Man I would be so much more into this game if they went with a Boom Beach esque aesthetic or something. I hate the CoC look.

They should just say fuck it and make this a Smash Bros type thing and put Boom Beach guys in too.

Also....is this game any good? Lol. I just downloaded it. It seems ok.

Magnariot

Neo Member
So how do you compare yourself to an opponent? I know trophy count is supposed to be the metric for matching and arena. But what if I'm facing opponents with a couple level 7's and 8's when I have one 7, a couple 6's, and the rest lower. Can you add up the levels of the cards in a person's deck and make anything of it? If my card levels total 33 and I regularly match up with deck levels totaling 45 and above, should I feel OK about losing half the time?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Hey I just sent an in-game request to join NeoGAF Elite. New player, just hit level 3.

Deeku

Our weekly purge in NeoGAF (#2OY9PQ) has been completed and we have three spots open.

Join requests must include your GAF handle, and a reply to this post will help us locate your account.
Requested to join :D

I don't really know if it worked tho

Agent

nuzEqMB.jpg

This was ridiculous. There is literally nothing you can do against this other than play for a draw at best. I'm sure this won't be popular, but, you should be limited to two building cards on the map at once. Would slow down this nonsense and force more offense.

ST2K

I've been stuck in arena 4 for a week or two now. Only got to level 5 once only to be knocked back down immediately.

I'm trying to use anything that doesn't involve hogs, freeze and bomb towers. It's not fun.

This was ridiculous. There is literally nothing you can do against this other than play for a draw at best. I'm sure this won't be popular, but, you should be limited to two building cards on the map at once. Would slow down this nonsense and force more offense.

You've got a Princess and Minion Horde. Kill the Mortar then let Princess pick off the other buildings. Or let Pekka tank the Mortar, Princess snipes Mortar, Minion horde on Inferno.

There's nothing you can do there because you let it get to that point. A deck with loads of buildings mean he has garbage offense and would rely on Mortar to score a star. Put the pressure of scoring on him. I spammed spawner and Mortar decks. Nothing annoys me more than Princess.

ElyrionX

yeah, which explains why I'm on 2300 trophies yet get smashed against players on 1700 trophies when I'm on a losing streak........

maybe i should have elaborated more...

The game puts you against a whole row of harder decks when you win a lot in a row. It doesn't matter if you drop trophies.

I am at 1700 and have never had streaks of more than 4-5. Even when I drop trophies, I don't recall ever dropping more than 100 or so before stabilizing.

ElyrionX

So how do you compare yourself to an opponent? I know trophy count is supposed to be the metric for matching and arena. But what if I'm facing opponents with a couple level 7's and 8's when I have one 7, a couple 6's, and the rest lower. Can you add up the levels of the cards in a person's deck and make anything of it? If my card levels total 33 and I regularly match up with deck levels totaling 45 and above, should I feel OK about losing half the time?

Elo ranking system means you are supposed to lose about 50% of the time. So, yes.

Regularly facing people with higher level cards but with the same trophies count as you means you are punching above your weight class and you are likely to be more skilled than your opponents. If you have the same level cards, you would probably be at a higher trophies count than your opponents which makes sense.

This happens to me in about 70% of my current games too.

Alur

Not really, no. That's currently, at any rate. Who knows where it might end up in the future. I'd save that 2000g for upgrading cards or snagging an epic you need, though.

Lv1 Mirror isn't worth using at all. It's also a bit tricky to use. I find that the best uses I've seen for it involve mirroring to exhaust my counters (eg forcing my arrows to wipe a Goblin Barrel then throw another barrel)

zoukka

Dude... you are playing the cancer deck. You are not allowed to complain :b

djp6

If you had a Rocket card or Lightning card you could destroy three of those structures and push

JoeNut

My new deck is getting a lot of success

Mortar
Cannon
Hog rider
zap
Arrows
barbarians
minion horde
elixir collector

I put down elixir collector and mortar early, people don't know what to do, they usually throw down a low HP troop to counter the mortar which i zap or arrows, cannon gets a hog that goes near it and stops it damaging my towers, barbs to counter their tank unit, horde to counter any air units.

I think because mortar is unusual, people just don't know what to do

zoukka

Mortar
Cannon
Hog rider
zap
Arrows
barbarians
minion horde
elixir collector

I put down elixir collector and mortar early, people don't know what to do, they usually throw down a low HP troop to counter the mortar which i zap or arrows, cannon gets a hog that goes near it and stops it damaging my towers, barbs to counter their tank unit, horde to counter any air units.

Mortar decks consist of about 66% of the higher arenas :)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Mortar decks consist of about 66% of the higher arenas :)

I hate mortar decks more than anything.

Step 1: Drop mortar.
Step 2: If enemy drops melee units, you drop barbs.
Step 3: If enemy drops minion horde, you use arrow.
Step 4: Keep spamming cheap units in front of mortar as enemy drops ground units.
Alternate step at any point: Drop a cannon.

Repeat this over and over and over. Takes a whole lot of talent. /salt

JoeNut

heh, im only at 1800 trophies - highest i've been is 1900, never see anyone else using it so far, guess i'm before my time!

GodofWine

Made it to 1700 trophies, got matched against about a billion obvious paying players after that (lvl 6 with level 9 commons, level 6 rares etc)..dropped to like 1200...climbed back to 1700...then came the bomb towers...now I play once a day, at work in a friendly battle vs. a coworker..best decision ever.

There is an evil match making system lurking in there, Supercell prints money, so it works well for them, and since the game is FREE I won't complain since they do need to actually make money, but man, once you think you've seen behind the curtain, it really makes this game feel more like an addiction or a burden than 'fun'...

I hate mortar decks more than anything.

Step 1: Drop mortar.
Step 2: If enemy drops melee units, you drop barbs.
Step 3: If enemy drops minion horde, you use arrow.
Step 4: Keep spamming cheap units in front of mortar as enemy drops ground units.
Alternate step at any point: Drop a cannon.

Repeat this over and over and over. Takes a whole lot of talent. /salt
I'm at 1650 trophies and I've only ever faced one motor deck. The biggest annoyances at least for me right now are hog freeze decks and Pekka elixir pump decks.

There is an evil match making system lurking in there, Supercell prints money, so it works well for them, and since the game is FREE I won't complain since they do need to actually make money, but man, once you think you've seen behind the curtain, it really makes this game feel more like an addiction or a burden than 'fun'...

their F2P mechanics are maniacal in the most respectable ways. its like they know exactly how much they can get away with. sure, you can play the game for free but come the fuck on, you are not going to progress at any sort of reasonable rate without pitching in something here and there.

and i guess people are totally ok with this. has anyone here not put a dime into it but reached arena 6+ based purely on skill? i got to Arena three and my king level was only 3 and everyone i started going against was 6+. those numbers are completely stacked against you and i don't see how anyone could've gotten past that without putting money in.

commish

I'm at 1650 trophies and I've only ever faced one motor deck. The biggest annoyances at least for me right now are hog freeze decks and Pekka elixir pump decks.

For hog freeze, if you are using a structure (e.g., a cannon), be sure to place it just below the river once you see him drop the hog. Then drop cheap minions if he uses freeze. This will almost always give you an elixir advantage. Just don't over extended so that you can't place the units.

Dazzler

Bouncing between Arena 4/5 right now

Have put about 20 bucks into the game. Go on long losing streaks but also a lot of long winning streaks.

Have put together a super cheap minion/huts deck that seems to win more often than not. Just flood people with critters then drop a prince into the other lane when they've over-countered

their F2P mechanics are maniacal in the most respectable ways. its like they know exactly how much they can get away with. sure, you can play the game for free but come the fuck on, you are not going to progress at any sort of reasonable rate without pitching in something here and there.

and i guess people are totally ok with this. has anyone here not put a dime into it but reached arena 6+ based purely on skill? i got to Arena three and my king level was only 3 and everyone i started going against was 6+. those numbers are completely stacked against you and i don't see how anyone could've gotten past that without putting money in.

I haven't put a dime in, and I'm in Arena 6 at 1809 trophies currently. Haven't spent a single gem either, as I'm waiting for 500 gems to convert them to 10k in gold (need another 86 gems).

The game is definitely a slow progression. The most important thing to remember is to unlock as many chests as possible, so you have to manage your time well to do that. I've got a pretty good routine of 7 a.m./10 a.m./1 p.m./4 p.m./7 p.m. unlocks for Silver Chests, then 10 p.m. for my Golden Chest, then repeat. I used to play extra to unlock Crown Chests, but I don't bother with that much anymore, in part because I'm facing stiff competition and generally can only take down one Tower per game.

I got lucky last week and had a Super Magical Chest drop, then followed that up with a Magical Chest drop a few days ago. They're nice for obtaining new Epic units, or loading up on cards for Commons or Rares, but it quickly becomes way too expensive to upgrade everything. But if you just focus on upgrading the units you use or think you might use, it becomes more manageable.

commish

There are a lot of folks who have reached legendary as totally free to play players. I also have a guildmate who reached 3500 cups as a lowly level 8.

What this game does is prey on people's impatience. If you accept the fact that progression takes a while, there's really no need to spend. Also, tournaments are capped at a pretty low level, so pay 2 win players don't have an advantage. Out of all the freemium money grabs out there, this one is one of the best in that regard.

_machine

There are a lot of folks who have reached legendary as totally free to play players. I also have a guildmate who reached 3500 cups as a lowly level 8.

What this game does is prey on people's impatience. If you accept the fact that progression takes a while, there's really no need to spend. Also, tournaments are capped at a pretty low level, so pay 2 win players don't have an advantage. Out of all the freemium money grabs out there, this one is one of the best in that regard.
Yup, I know people in Legendary Arena who have not spend a dime, most of our guildmates (developers) have not spent anything, and I too am at Arena 7 not having had any urge to spend money, because I know that ELO will make it half useless. Spending money and opening chests or buying cards feels good (from a product people perspective), but I definitely don't feel I need to do so to enjoy the game.

It's more the F2P stigma than the reality, but that's to expected when Clash Royale serves a much wider (or specifically towards more of enthusiast spectrum users) audience and their background make the stigma strong. Not to say, that for example people who want to play long sessions once a day aren't allowed to critique the design, but ultimately that's also the reason why the game has such a pull.

Also, worth mentioning that it makes a ton of sense to slow progression after 1600 trophies, as the developer definitely don't want most users to hit end of content fast. That would severely cut long-term engagement.

Out of 2 guild pools, I know over 50 people who have hit Arena 6 without spending anything (so 50% players I know in same guilds).

Matush

I am in Arena 7 for 3 weeks straight without paying single dime, although I've been playing since day one.

hollomat

Banned

I haven't put a dime into the game and I'm at arena 7 with 2500 trophies.

Once you get higher, what you have to do is just focus on a card you want to upgrade. I only request that card and will donate every card except for that one. It takes time, but eventually you get enough for an upgrade. I also don't upgrade any cards I don't use in my deck so I always have lots of gold.

ElyrionX

I am F2P and reached A6 in less than a month.

ElyrionX

Mortar
Cannon
Hog rider
zap
Arrows
barbarians
minion horde
elixir collector

How do you deal with a tank + wizard push?

Would you guys rather have a poison spell in your deck or a fireball? Really not sure which one I like better. They both cost 4 elixir btw.

Does poison do more total damage to buildings over its life than a fireball hit does?

A level 5 fireball does 190 crown tower damage(474 to everything else)
Comparatively level 3 Poison does 200 damage(500 to everything else) over 10 seconds

It's really a situation of what works best for you. Poison has the upside of being a huge aoe that lasts 10 seconds and slows, fireball is instant damage. With Poison, you can blanket their whole lane on one side whilst hitting the tower, guaranteeing that anything they put down will get damaged, Fireball is good for instantly taking out units though and if you have a deck that can be swarmed easily, fireball might be the better choice(Although really it's an in between rocket and arrow, as such it's not as good for most high hp. units)

Top Bottom