• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

I've at least reached Arena 7 with this mindset, but I'm expecting I'll need to change things up if I want to get much higher than that. (Unless I finally open a Legendary which I assume I can ride to +500 more trophies.)

Ditto.

I'm constantly back and forth between 1900 and 2300. Like you, I have no Legendaries. With the (artificial) unit exclusions that you and I are adopting, I really don't think it'll be easy to crack 2500 without a Legendary.

Dazzler

everytime someone turtles up on me with defensive buildings I just spam the WOW emote.

They need a free-form text box emote option so I can be more specific with how I feel about it

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
everytime someone turtles up on me with defensive buildings I just spam the WOW emote.

They need a free-form text box emote option so I can be more specific with how I feel about it

That's why they introduced the Royal Giant.

Raven77

I have a similar, stubborn, aversion to those kind of things, except for unit spawners. Those seem okay.

I've come to the conclusion that the things that really annoy me in this game are the ones that only work because the unit pathing is dumb. So Bomb Towers, Freeze, Ice Mage and Giant Skeleton that all take advantage of the way units naturally bunch up annoy the hell out of me. I think it is because it feels like they shouldn't be as effective as they are? I realize I'm totally being the Street Fighter "throws are cheap" guy.

Also I have no desire to ever get in a defensive building standoff, so I just refuse to use those.

I've at least reached Arena 7 with this mindset, but I'm expecting I'll need to change things up if I want to get much higher than that. (Unless I finally open a Legendary which I assume I can ride to +500 more trophies.)

Would you mind posting a deck or two that you are using with card levels please? I'm stuck in Spell Valley for about 2 months now.

I need emojis to represent the following thoughts/feelings:

- "Your towers have 400+ more hitpoints! Congratulations on the win!"

- "Did the experience of beating me outweigh the bummer of spending $300 on this game?"

- "The freeze+hog combo! Neat!"

- "You have a Level 2 Legendary. I have a Level 8 Common. Fun!"

- "Thank you for hiding beneath your rows of defensive buildings so that we could share this exciting draw!"

Would you mind posting a deck or two that you are using with card levels please? I'm stuck in Spell Valley for about 2 months now.

I use:

- Knight
- Musketeer
- Mini PEKKA
- Wizard
- Hog Rider
- Baby Dragon
- Balloon
- Skeleton Army

I'm Level 7. I'm normally around 2100-2200 these days.

I have no idea whether this deck makes any sense. It might make zero sense. I've not read any deck-building guides or discussions, because I hate that kind of shit. But I enjoy playing the deck (except for the fact that I hate every single moment of my life that is spent playing this horrible game filled with scumbags and fiends).

Raven77

I use:

- Knight
- Musketeer
- Mini PEKKA
- Wizard
- Hog Rider
- Baby Dragon
- Balloon
- Skeleton Army

I'm Level 7. I'm normally around 2100-2200 these days.

I have no idea whether this deck makes any sense. It might make zero sense. I've not read any deck-building guides or discussions, because I hate that kind of shit. But I enjoy playing the deck (except for the fact that I hate every single moment of my life that is spent playing this horrible game filled with scumbags and fiends).

Haha, thanks for posting that. I'll give this a whirl. Im guessing the general strategy is to drop the balloon with some splash support like dragon, wizard, and also use the musketeer to defend it? Then while they unload everything on your balloon unleash your hog / pekka?

ultron87

This is what got me over the hump from 6 to 7 finally. My towers are level 7, which seems to be below the average at my Arena, so I guess that means I'm doing alright?

tFQ805C.jpg

It took a lot of work to get better at not over-commiting to pushes and keeping stuff spread out as much as possible to avoid getting blown up by a Valkyrie drop or Freeze. That and specifically playing around Hog + Freeze.

Haha, thanks for posting that. I'll give this a whirl. Im guessing the general strategy is to drop the balloon with some splash support like dragon, wizard, and also use the musketeer to defend it? Then while they unload everything on your balloon unleash your hog / pekka?

You know, because I've been using this deck for almost as long as I've been playing the game, I'm not sure that I have much in the way of conscious strategy. Most of my energy and thought goes to not snapping my iPad over my face.

But, yes, I definitely rely on the balloon, hog, and pekka to do the overwhelming majority of the damage. And your description of the balloon tactic is spot on.

In an ideal world: I'll start the wizard near my base and my opponent won't react; by the time the wizard is approaching the skirmish line, I'll be nearing 10 elixir again; I'll drop the balloon just in front of the wizard (directly at the line); my opponent will defensively react by playing those flying dudes who will be immediately wiped out by my wizard; tower destroyed. (And, in general, yes, lots of variants of this theme, sometimes using the dragon, etc.)

But that normally fails. I probably win 10-15% of my games with some version of the above strategy. But it normally fails, And when it fails, I just have a mental breakdown and play defensively for 30-60 seconds until I notice an overexpenditure of elixir from my opponent. And then I run train with my hog and pekka.

Also, I really, really love using the (often undefended) musketeer to pick away a few hundred HP at a time.

I'm really terrible at the game and I hate it, btw.

red13th

I've been playing a lot of people with legendaries lately for some reason.
Made me think how Ice Wizard would be great in my deck. :/

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
What are good counters for the Wizard?

Any single hard hitting melee card. Mini Pekka will kill it in one hit, but you have to be able to isolate him.

Went on a losing streak back to Arena 4, and ran into somebody with a Lava Hound. There was nothing I could do to stop him with my current deck, that thing is a tank and then the mini hounds cause a lot of problems.

Maximus P

I need emojis to represent the following thoughts/feelings:

- "Your towers have 400+ more hitpoints! Congratulations on the win!"

- "Did the experience of beating me outweigh the bummer of spending $300 on this game?"

- "The freeze+hog combo! Neat!"

- "You have a Level 2 Legendary. I have a Level 8 Common. Fun!"

- "Thank you for hiding beneath your rows of defensive buildings so that we could share this exciting draw!"

lol, these. Supercell please.

This one in particular would have come in great use for me a short while ago:-

The guy had a level 10 Elixir pump and a level 2 ice wizard. And, of course, he spammed the laugh near the end when i was struggling to defend his onslaught.

I find the biggest asshats to be those with Japanese or Chinese names lately, so maybe theres something lost in translation when they say 'Thanks' after they take your tower or spam 'good luck' at the end'?

ElyrionX

Everyone knows it's a F2P game with P2W mechanics. Yes, you will come across the occasional asshole who taunts you after beating you with his OP P2W deck but why let it affect you so much emotionally? Get a grip, move on and focus on winning the next match. At the end of it, it's just a game meant for entertainment. There are bigger battles to fight in life.

Maximus P

Everyone knows it's a F2P game with P2W mechanics. Yes, you will come across the occasional asshole who taunts you after beating you with his OP P2W deck but why let it affect you so much emotionally? Get a grip, move on and focus on winning the next match. At the end of it, it's just a game meant for entertainment. There are bigger battles to fight in life.

giphy.gif

Where on this thread as anyone mentioned about this game effecting them emotionally? We're all having fun, its the reason why were in here talking about the game (apart from those who have stopped and given their reasons.)

Its kind of annoying being beaten and taunted by a guy who has obviously spent a small fortune, it's equally annoying when said guy is in the lower ranks beating on low leveled players. But I'm sure everyone here know that life has bigger battles, it doesn't stop people from wanting a fair fight.

red13th

I'm so stupid, I keep getting owned by Fireballs. Everyone's using them in Arena 7 and nobody used them before. Need to play better!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
What's the use case of arrows vs. fireballs? I've been using arrows as my anti-air/swarm AOE for as long as I can remember but I've been seeing a lot of fireballs lately and I'm not sure if I should make the switch.

JoeNut

What's the use case of arrows vs. fireballs? I've been using arrows as my anti-air/swarm AOE for as long as I can remember but I've been seeing a lot of fireballs lately and I'm not sure if I should make the switch.
They both have pros and cons but I find that with arrows being cheaper they're more useful to me

commish

I use neither in my current deck, but I ran with both for a while (before I replaced arrows with poison). I think fireballs are a bit more versatile, since they do more damage to towers and sturdier units. Arrows are mostly good for minion horde.

Unicorn

I've been stuck at around 850 trophies for weeks now. I keep trying to mix my deck up, but nothing is getting me consistent wins. I win one, lose 2. Beastcast making me feel incompetent since they're talking about cards I will never get access to.

wonderpug

Neo Member
I use neither in my current deck, but I ran with both for a while (before I replaced arrows with poison). I think fireballs are a bit more versatile, since they do more damage to towers and sturdier units. Arrows are mostly good for minion horde.

Arrows have been great for me but now that I'm facing three musketeers more I think I need to switch to fireball to combat them.

ultron87

I'd been on the Zap plan for quite awhile. It doesn't kill Minions, but it weakens them to the point where your tower can finish them with no damage, which seems like enough. And the momentary stun can actually be huge if you time it right. If I was going to change I'd probably switch to Fireball since it kills a lot of problematic stuff and neuters Barbarians. Arrows seems like a middle ground that doesn't do either thing well enough.

Fireball certainly destroys my deck so seeing that a ton at higher levels will probably make me change things up soon.

spyder_ur

I'm also debating the fireball vs arrows. Sticking with arrows for now. I don't trust myself aiming fireball and arrows are easy mode.

Switched away from my balloon-hog rider based deck to the following with alot of success (up to ~2600)
-Bomb Tower
-Barbs
-Spear Goblins
-Elixir
-Skeleton (1 elixir)
-Minions (not horde)
-Royal Giant
-Arrows

Got my average elixir down to 3.8. Don't underestimate the cheaper cards. For example, a properly placed skeleton by itself can limit a hog rider to 1-2 hits. Or it can take a wizard down pretty fast if they're already engaged. Sometimes, I can get a royal giant on one side, followed by barbs on the other (or vice versa) and maybe a support card while they react. This deck allows me to be a lot more reactive I've found.

The turtle decks still kill me, basically anything with more than one defensive tower is a pain.

I'm considering switching to inferno tower from bomb tower though as it seems better against Royal Giants. I have alot of trouble against it.

commish

I'm also debating the fireball vs arrows. Sticking with arrows for now. I don't trust myself aiming fireball and arrows are easy mode.

Switched away from my balloon-hog rider based deck to the following with alot of success (up to ~2600)
-Bomb Tower
-Barbs
-Spear Goblins
-Elixir
-Skeleton (1 elixir)
-Minions (not horde)
-Royal Giant
-Arrows

Got my average elixir down to 3.8. Don't underestimate the cheaper cards. For example, a properly placed skeleton by itself can limit a hog rider to 1-2 hits. Or it can take a wizard down pretty fast if they're already engaged. Sometimes, I can get a royal giant on one side, followed by barbs on the other (or vice versa) and maybe a support card while they react. This deck allows me to be a lot more reactive I've found.

The turtle decks still kill me, basically anything with more than one defensive tower is a pain.

I'm considering switching to inferno tower from bomb tower though as it seems better against Royal Giants. I have alot of trouble against it.

Yes, skip bomb tower, no good in this RG meta. Put in inferno. Also try to fit in a wizard - an RG backed up by a wizard is ridiculously strong.

spyder_ur

Yes, skip bomb tower, no good in this RG meta. Put in inferno. Also try to fit in a wizard - an RG backed up by a wizard is ridiculously strong.

Tried it, not feeling it totally because of the reduced effectiveness against Barbs and groups, but I'll keep it in for now.

Hit A7 and dropped right back down. Seems like I am losing every time I face someone with a legendary.

I'm comfortably in Arena 7 and I don't have any cards above a rare in my deck.

They need to minimize the radius on freeze spells. That's all I ask. Give me that. Please.

I agree, and arrows too. Freeze isn't bothering me too much these days - I learned to wait a half second before putting down cards in front of my tower if the opponent has freeze.

red13th

It shouldn't be part of this game IMO, maybe make it so frozen buildings/units receive half damage or something. I'm a Freeze hater so feel free to ignore me. Heh!

commish

Tried it, not feeling it totally because of the reduced effectiveness against Barbs and groups, but I'll keep it in for now.

You should only use a defensive structure to stop tanks and other big units, like giants, RG, pekka, etc. You should answer groups with troops of your own or worst case scenario, a fireball. Combined with your tower, you should be able to take out a group of troops and get an elixir advantage.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
At level 5, I only seem to get matched with 6's and 4's. What's so hard about getting 5's, man?

nampad

Pro:
-Pretty much fucks an enemy who is banking on 3 musketeers.
-Somehow useful to finish off towers and buildings.
-Quite effective against groups of non squishy enemies.

Contra:
-Cost
-Radius

Though somehow I am better with a fireball than with arrows.

Fireballs leave Three Muskets, Wizard and Barbs with 1 hit left from towers assuming same level. If it's +1, then its a one shot. Decent against building clusters.

It also has knockback which buys you a bit of time.

I used to prefer arrow but now I always use Fireball. Arrows are easier to aim and have bigger elix advantage against minion and skele horde though. Nearly everyone uses Barbs so Fireball is better for me.

Fireballs leave Three Muskets, Wizard and Barbs with 1 hit left from towers assuming same level.

And if your opponent deploys one of those units near one of his/her own towers, then you also get a free shot on it as well. Gaining an Elixir advantage plus doing damage to a tower is a great combination.

Has there been much complaint regarding the x-bow tower being able to hit the defending tower from behind the skirmish line? It spusually doesn't effect me, but if I happen to overextend and they plop one down I don't know that it should be able to whittle your tower down so fast without the tower retaliating. Seems broken.

spyder_ur

Has there been much complaint regarding the x-bow tower being able to hit the defending tower from behind the skirmish line? It spusually doesn't effect me, but if I happen to overextend and they plop one down I don't know that it should be able to whittle your tower down so fast without the tower retaliating. Seems broken.

Mortar does that too. I think it's a fine risk/reward ratio since they go down quick and don't target troops.

I don't see too many X-Bows to be honest, though I'm in Arena 7.

By the way, what is that rolling tank thing and where do you get it? It has absolutely demolished me a few times. Key to beating it seems to be putting small units on a couple sides of it.

By the way, what is that rolling tank thing and where do you get it? It has absolutely demolished me a few times. Key to beating it seems to be putting small units on a couple sides of it.

That's Sparky, and it's a new Legendary unit. And yes, the key to beating it seems to be swarming it or interrupting its cannonfire (say with a well timed Zap).

JDdelphin

Have zap. Right before it blasts zap it and it loses all charge then even skeletons or triple minions trash it.

Zap resetting it's charge and having it's user not know that is pretty hilarious.
Especially if they're betting on it being invincible.

"I'M USING AN OOOOOP CARD, OOOOP TANK, LAAA LAAAA LAAAAH, GONNA HIT YOUR TOOOWER-" *zap* *goblins* *trashed sparky*

ByJl3pl.gif

red13th

Got absolutely SCHOOLED by Three Musketeers decks like 4 times in a row, had to make a switch. Out Bomber, in Fireball. I love Bomber but I can't see myself without the other cards. Also helps with the occasional Arrow bait decks. :)
My deck had literally no outs to Three Musketeers.

ElyrionX

Got absolutely SCHOOLED by Three Musketeers decks like 4 times in a row, had to make a switch. Out Bomber, in Fireball. I love Bomber but I can't see myself without the other cards. Also helps with the occasional Arrow bait decks. :)
My deck had literally no outs to Three Musketeers.

How do Barbs fare against them?

I hate trolls, I'm at 1800 trophies right now and just faced a guy with 1750 trophies. He had a level 5 Royal giant, level 2 dark prince, and a level 2 princess. What?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I hate trolls, I'm at 1800 trophies right now and just faced a guy with 1750 trophies. He had a level 5 Royal giant, level 2 dark prince, and a level 2 princess. What?

Doubt he was a troll. He probably just got done matchmaking against 5 dudes in a row with level 10 royal giant, level 5 dark prince and a level 20 princess before he finally got to a winnable match in you.

Top Bottom