• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

zoukka

I hate trolls, I'm at 1800 trophies right now and just faced a guy with 1750 trophies. He had a level 5 Royal giant, level 2 dark prince, and a level 2 princess. What?

It's not trolling, just a p2w player. When I was at arena 7 I constantly faced people with level 5 epics and level 2 legendaries as I pushed into arena 8. Compared to my lvl 2 epics and no legendaries...

Maximus P

Skelton giant eats 3 muskateers for breakfast.

They're not fast enough to run away from the aftermath. And he draws anything else that's nearby protecting them as well.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Skelton giant eats 3 muskateers for breakfast.

They're not fast enough to run away from the aftermath. And he draws anything else that's nearby protecting them as well.
Even if you put them away from him on the side of the path? I know that with barbs they can survive if you them behind him, they'll be far enough when the bomb blows off.

zoukka

Even if you put them away from him on the side of the path? I know that with barbs they can survive if you them behind him, they'll be far enough when the bomb blows off.

You use the skelly giant or barbs to counter the musketeers, not the other way around.

Future

Also switched back to fireball after being owned by 3 musketeers, lol

Me too. Royal giant and three musketeers.... What are you even supposed to do against that without something like fireball. Defensive towers get shredded as does almost every unit.

kazinova

The matchmaking in this game is brutally unfair. I'm almost about to uninstall. at 1100 trophies facing level 7s with arena 6 cards. Why?

I was just winning at 1400 and here I've falling 300 trophies and the opponents are tougher if anything. It's just consistent enough to make me think that the matchmaking is streaky by design.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The matchmaking in this game is brutally unfair. I'm almost about to uninstall. at 1100 trophies facing level 7s with arena 6 cards. Why?

I was just winning at 1400 and here I've falling 300 trophies and the opponents are tougher if anything. It's just consistent enough to make me think that the matchmaking is streaky by design.

I know this is a constant complaint, but cups is a better way to match people than card levels.

broz0rs

I'm starting to think that Giant is the best counter to RG. It prevents your opponent's units (especially barbs and valk) trying to pass RG to deal with units that are hitting it because Giant draws them away behind RG. It also naturally creates a counter push if you're able to kill RG fast enough.

I'm around 2500 points in Arena 7, where there's just a shitton of RG decks and rarely ever lose to it.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Made a new deck that I basically netdecked off some annoying Youtuber and went 7-1-1 while unlocking my crown chest today. Got over 200+ trophies and am closer to Arena 5 than I am to demoting to arena 3 for the first time ever.

Wasted 2k gold to buy a baby dragon off the card shop cause I got sick of not having one. This deck I'm using recommended a baby d in it but I'm using minion horde as a substitute and doing well so I'm not sure if I wanna swap out my level 7 mini horde for a level 1 baby d.

red13th

I switched to Fireball and so far zero Three Musketeers decks. :(
Still good against Barbs which are everywhere though, and it helps finish off those towers too.

JoeNut

I switched to Fireball and so far zero Three Musketeers decks. :(
Still good against Barbs which are everywhere though, and it helps finish off those towers too.

YEah you can get some real value out of the fireball if you manage to hit the tower and barbs at the same time, it also takes wizard, musketeer etc. right down to 1 arrow health.

I'm currently rocking both arrow and fireball

JDdelphin

I'm currently rocking both arrow and fireball

Can't freeze either of those!

Fireball messes up a beefy push so hard, and arrows for hordes/cleanup.

Now that I beefed up my fireball to blast the 'im doing damage behind my tank card with impunity' guy dead in one hit- It makes my life a lot easier.

ultron87

I feel like Fireball became massively more popular this week. As that wrecks my entire deck I've been having a rough time. Should probably start net decking. As long as it isn't hog-freeze. I won't sink to that.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I see a lot of people in NeoGAF Elite running hog freeze and all I can do is shake my head. Ya'll deserve your losing streaks is all I'm gonna say.

commish

I feel like Fireball became massively more popular this week. As that wrecks my entire deck I've been having a rough time. Should probably start net decking. As long as it isn't hog-freeze. I won't sink to that.

It's more popular because RG is popular and the most common defense is to drop 4 barbs on its head. Then they fireball the barbs.

broz0rs

I see a lot of people in NeoGAF Elite running hog freeze and all I can do is shake my head. Ya'll deserve your losing streaks is all I'm gonna say.

so you're salty players are using a cheap tactic. but as you mentioned, they also lose a ton because that strategy costs 8 elixir and does no damage to units. is that really a problem?

Maximus P

My problem is that there is no real all round deck. Every deck you choose there is a perfect counter deck...and I always seem to come across these counter decks multiple times in a row.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
168 barbarian cards, it's almost like they want me to use that in my deck or something. Ha. I haven't even touched or leveled them yet, what are barbs a great counter against?

Ieu

168 barbarian cards, it's almost like they want me to use that in my deck or something. Ha. I haven't even touched or leveled them yet, what are barbs a great counter against?

They're not a hard counter so much as an instant wall of meat that can dish out damage. They are good for surrounding hog and prince long enough for your towers to chip away. You can also stick some spear goblins behind them for a underestimated threat.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
They're not a hard counter so much as an instant wall of meat that can dish out damage. They are good for surrounding hog and prince long enough for your towers to chip away. You can also stick some spear goblins behind them for a underestimated threat.
Ok. My biggest concern with them seemed to be the elixir cost...I'm already to close to 4 elixir average but I'm so tuned in to my deck right now.

Maximus P

Went on a winning streak earlier, around 10 games. Every time I won I hit them with a 'good game' at the end.

Played just now and went on an inevitable losing streak and every fucking one of them hit me with laughing kings and 'well played' at the end.lol. I love being a better person than them,so I give them a 'well played' followed by a 'good game' before I leave.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Went on a winning streak earlier, around 10 games. Every time I won I hit them with a 'good game' at the end.

Played just now and went on an inevitable losing streak and every fucking one of them hit me with laughing kings and 'well played' at the end.lol. I love being a better person than them,so I give them a 'well played' followed by a 'good game' before I leave.

I usually just hit them with a "wow" followed by "good luck". Morons........

ElyrionX

The ice wiz is so goddamn op. Wish I had one. Princess would be nice too. Of course, if I ever get a legendary, it's probably going to be a lava hound or miner.

yatesl

After weeks, i finally made it out of arena 5, although it feels like an uphill battle and have been knocked back once already. How's my deck? Here's what I have available.

Q1ON9C9.jpg

Maximus P

Why is that a bad thing?

Because it takes away the skill from the game.

I don't mind losing if I get out played by my opponent.i don't even mind so much if my opponent is higher levelled or has p2w. But to go on a losing streak of 8+ games because the game decided to match me with the same deck over and over?

Sometimes,I know I've lost a game in the first 10 seconds.

I don't mind losing if I get out played by my opponent.i don't even mind so much if my opponent is higher levelled or has p2w. But to go on a losing streak of 8+ games because the game decided to match me with the same deck over and over?

I've thought about this.

Sometimes it feels that you get put against the same decks that perfectly counter your decks. I wonder if their matchmaking takes account of that, that is they have the analytic data to be able to say 'Ok if a person has these cards, we'll match them against these cards'.

But at the same time, the people you get matched up against go through the same process. So if they want to retain a sort of 50/50 win ratio for people, they probably balance it by sometimes pairing you with stronger decks and sometimes with weaker decks? Who knows, really..

Future

You need to adjust your deck to new metas in new arenas with new decks. You also need to force the match to play into your hands and not the opponents.

Hog / balloon freeze
Royal giant wizard or 3 musketeer
Gob and barb hut push
Minion horde defense
Double prince
Giant pekka wizard

In arena 7 most decks will be some variation of the above in terms of what will push into your tower and destroy it (or what will prevent destruction). Knowing this, you have to be prepared for each of these scenarios even if you lack a hard counter. some of those combos for example are expensive, so you can prevent players from doing it depending on how you attack. You have to know how to mount a defense perfectly that can lead to offense

commish

You didn't lose 8 games because you went up against a certain deck. You lost 8 games because it seems like you're willfully ignoring the meta. If you keep seeing the same type of decks, e.g. RG pushes, and you keep losing to those same decks because you have no answer to those decks, then you need to update your own deck.

Having one deck that is good against everything would be terrible design. A big part of the skill in this game is understanding the meta and how to build a deck to take advantage of it.

Maximus P

Decided to change my deck based on the advice in here.

Now decided to add more arial defence (i was getting owned by baloons).

Did have to take away one of my counters to accommodate so we'll see how it goes.

Edit: holy shit. Just got my first legendary card in a gold chest. The princess. Guess I'll be integrating her into my deck somehow.

All of the stuff about counter-decks, shady matchmaking, annoying/cheap units and decks... that stuff is all definitely obnoxious. Hog+freeze, spam decks, etc. Definitely annoying as fuck.

But I can ignore and get beyond that stuff. The more fundamental problem for me is that there's a paywall in the 2000s. Maybe I'm wrong and just shitty, but it really feels that it would be nearly impossible for me to get to Arena 8 without spilling cash.

As it is, I am constantly running into people running Level 7 Rares, and/or Level 3-4 Epics, and/or multiple Legendaries, all with towers that have far more HP than mine. This is happening all of the time. I am constantly overwhelmed by sheer stats.

Example: yesterday, I faced someone with a Level 10 account. (I'd never seen that before!) They ran two Legendaries and had Rares at Level 7. Their strategy was absolutely terrible. Just terrible. In fact, there was no discernible strategy; they seemed to be indiscriminately placing their super-powered units on the map. And they won! It was fucking close, and I almost had them, but they beat me at the buzzer. Sigh.

Why would that be fun? Why would it be fun to play an opponent who is the equivalent of a boss with super-dumb AI/tactics but overwhelming power and HP? If a single-player game had that kind of content, it would get panned, for good reason!

When I happen to get matched against someone who is legitimately at my level, the games can be excellent. But where I am in the trophies, that seems to rarely happen.

Maximus P

Is there a good counter to minion horde that isn't a projectile like fireball or arrows? That card destroys my deck constantly and I find the fireball to be too slow to use to counter.

Is there a good counter to minion horde that isn't a projectile like fireball or arrows? That card destroys my deck constantly and I find the fireball to be too slow to use to counter.

Zap

Leaves them low enough hp to be 1 hit by tower(They will usually all die before they get there)

Wizard is a good counter but costs 5 elixir. The Wiz will stay alive though so it's not a complete wash.

Maximus P

Thanks guys. Using my princess for now. Wasn't aware that wizard had air attack as I don't use air troops.

Will sort my deck out.

Future

Skeletons

Drop 4 in the middle area so that 2 go into each lane. The minion horde will kill 2 and chase 2 into the other lane, getting shot up the whole time by both towers.

Honestly anything that splits them or brings them to the middle works. I've used cannons to do it wit a couple of spear goblins for an even trade

Future

All of the stuff about counter-decks, shady matchmaking, annoying/cheap units and decks... that stuff is all definitely obnoxious. Hog+freeze, spam decks, etc. Definitely annoying as fuck.

But I can ignore and get beyond that stuff. The more fundamental problem for me is that there's a paywall in the 2000s. Maybe I'm wrong and just shitty, but it really feels that it would be nearly impossible for me to get to Arena 8 without spilling cash.

As it is, I am constantly running into people running Level 7 Rares, and/or Level 3-4 Epics, and/or multiple Legendaries, all with towers that have far more HP than mine. This is happening all of the time. I am constantly overwhelmed by sheer stats.

Example: yesterday, I faced someone with a Level 10 account. (I'd never seen that before!) They ran two Legendaries and had Rares at Level 7. Their strategy was absolutely terrible. Just terrible. In fact, there was no discernible strategy; they seemed to be indiscriminately placing their super-powered units on the map. And they won! It was fucking close, and I almost had them, but they beat me at the buzzer. Sigh.

Why would that be fun? Why would it be fun to play an opponent who is the equivalent of a boss with super-dumb AI/tactics but overwhelming power and HP? If a single-player game had that kind of content, it would get panned, for good reason!

When I happen to get matched against someone who is legitimately at my level, the games can be excellent. But where I am in the trophies, that seems to rarely happen.

Are you paying at all? Yes the game benefits those that pay. Company has to make money right.

All paying does is speed your upgrade process and making troops and towers stronger. You will hit a wall around there that promotes the grind. Since matching is based on trophies, you will match with crappy players with strong units, as well as people that have just upgraded (pay or not) but haven't won new trophies yet. Kinda sucks, but it's rare that it continues to happen until you reach the tier line where people cross over

At 2200 trophies I see mostly lvl 8s. As I near 3000 I'm seeing mor nines.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I came up against a really impressive deck this afternoon so I copied it, Elixir, Giant, Wizard, Hog, Barbs, Bomber, arrows, Mirror

Played a few rounds, seems tough not to lose 1 tower but it's way tougher for your opponent by the last minute when you can have 4 Elixir collectors and then start mirroring giants (or basically any card you have because they are all deadly)

Top Bottom