• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

Dazzler

I'm rocking a giant, wizard and an ice whizz as a push and its WRECKING people

I know it's a legendary and probably an accurate representation of its powers, but it feels overpowered

I'm rocking a giant, wizard and an ice whizz as a push and its WRECKING people

I know it's a legendary and probably an accurate representation of its powers, but it feels overpowered
Minus the ice wizard this is pretty much every deck in arena 6. Giants with a combination of wizard, musketeer, and barbs.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
BALANCE CHANGES 5/18

https://clashroyale.com/blog/release-notes/balance-changes-coming-5-18

Boosts:
Fire Spirits: Area Damage radius increased by 25%
Guards: Hitpoints and damage increased by 8%
Miner: Hitpoints increased by 6%
Lava Hound: Hitpoints increased by 3%
Lava Pups: Hitpoints increased by 9%
Knight: Hitpoints increased by 10%
Bomber: Damage increased by 10%
Tesla: Hitpoints increased by 5%
Golem & Golemite: Hitpoints increased by 5%
Witch: Damage increased by 10%
Skeletons (affects Tombstone, Skeleton Army, Witch, Skeletons): Hitpoints and damage increased by 5%
Tombstone: Hitpoints increased by 10%

Mixed:
Furnace: Elixir cost decreased to 4 (from 5), hitpoints decreased by 14% and lifetime decreased to 40sec (from 50sec)

Nerfs:
Royal Giant: Damage decreased by 4%
Freeze: Duration decreased by 1sec
Cannon: Hitpoints decreased by 5%
Elixir Collector: Hitpoints decreased by 9%

Other:
XP gained for upgrading Epic and Legendary Cards will be in line with the equivalent levels of Common and Rare Cards.

DrkSage

BALANCE CHANGES 5/18

Boosts:
Skeletons (affects Tombstone, Skeleton Army, Witch, Skeletons): Hitpoints and damage increased by 5%

Mixed:
Furnace: Elixir cost decreased to 4 (from 5), hitpoints decreased by 14% and lifetime decreased to 40sec (from 50sec)

Nerfs:

Other:
XP gained for upgrading Epic and Legendary Cards will be in line with the equivalent levels of Common and Rare Cards.

Cannon nerf again, Royal giant nerf, elixir collector nerf, freeze nerf(this one is a positive change)
And the Hog rider left untouched
he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-it.gif

Agent

They certainly are getting out another update pretty quickly. No surprise the Royal Giant is taking a hit, but I'm not sure a 4% damage reduction is going to do much.

Another Cannon nerf? That seems a bit much. Even with a 1 second reduction in Freeze there are still going to be plenty of Hog Riders running around. They are complaining that it is used too much, but that's because everyone uses Hog Rider and/or Royal Giant. It's basically treating the symptom, not the problem.

Elixir reduction is obnoxious as well. People use it because it makes decks more efficient to get pushes/defenses going; not because it has HP. Basically we're getting to a point of only using cheap spam troops because it won't be effective to use higher elixir cards with no collector.

Witch 10% increase in damage, coupled with the Skeleton buff, may be interesting. I don't see it making its way into too many decks yet.

Fire Spirits may be interesting to use now. They already were fairly good in taking out a group of mobs, and with an increase they will probably be pretty good.

The one card of this buff I can see an increase in is potentially Knight. A 10% increase in health for an already fairly tanky card at only 3 elixir seems like it may be useful.

Some of these changes are the Bungie Destiny approach of "everyone uses it so nerf it into the ground". Then 2 months later "oh hey, no one uses it, lets buff it back up".

Biff

This and ice wizard. I can't believe neither was nerfed.

I think the fact that they BUFFED Miner goes to show the intention of Supercell when it comes to legendaries.

Make them OP as fuck pay2win cards. That's it. Fuck the plebs.

We will never see a legendary nerf, ever. Period. Supercell would rather buff literally every non-legendary card versus making a paying customer/whale feel like their investment is being negatively affected.

Maximus P

lol...this game.

Dropped 600 trophies without a single win. Thought to myself 'fuck it, at least I'll get some easier match ups' first 3 guys I face in level 6 arena have legendary cards and high level epics.

Supercell hate me.

Future

lol...this game.

Dropped 600 trophies without a single win. Thought to myself 'fuck it, at least I'll get some easier match ups' first 3 guys I face in level 6 arena have legendary cards and high level epics.

Supercell hate me.

Bring spells for princess and ice wizards. Both legendaries last forever because they take forever to get into unit range. Spells become essential to take em out

If you leave them alone, you will lose

Unicorn

At this point I'm convinced matchmaking is tied to money paid. I bet people that put money in get paired with people that suck to boost their ego of their ability since they paid versus people that don't and get locked into a win one lose one scenario where I just can't progress to get new cards that are objectively better in every way. I'm so disgusted. Been stuck in this 850 trophy rut for like a month now. No deck composition I try gets consistent wins. Many cards are level 6+ due to the amount I get from chests.

Brakke

Banned
Dunno how I feel about this game still. I've been waffling between 900-1000 trophies in Arena 3 for a bit now. I'm at tower level 5 but I frequently matchmake against level 7 people, who almost always steamroll me. I can't tell if I should mix up my deck (which will be tough since I don't have any any spare gold for upgrading the cards I don't use...) or just need to play smarter. Orrrrr I just put some cash in, buy some chests, get myself up to castle level 6-7?

Also I dunno how card / arenas work. If I have at least one of a card, then I can get more copies from any chest? But I can only get cards I don't have from the arenas they're unlocked at??

hollomat

Banned
My only issue with this game is ice wizard and princess. I can't believe these cards are 3 elixir and not getting nerfed. Ice wizard in particular is such a powerful card. His ice spread is perfect for countering pushes or supporting pushes especially in the Royal giant meta. I'm at 2900 trophies and I see him in 75% of games. The other 25% have princess or one of the other legendaries. These cards are so overpowered.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I switch from bomb towers to cannons for the elixir savings, and they nerf them? Eh, hopefully I can figure it out.

demigod

At this point I'm convinced matchmaking is tied to money paid. I bet people that put money in get paired with people that suck to boost their ego of their ability since they paid versus people that don't and get locked into a win one lose one scenario where I just can't progress to get new cards that are objectively better in every way. I'm so disgusted. Been stuck in this 850 trophy rut for like a month now. No deck composition I try gets consistent wins. Many cards are level 6+ due to the amount I get from chests.

Its pretty bs i have 600 wins and ZERO legendary. I'm stuck in Arena 7 and dropped to 6 a couple times.

Cannon nerf again, Royal giant nerf, elixir collector nerf, freeze nerf(this one is a positive change)
And the Hog rider left untouched
he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-it.gif
So know instead of 80% of decks running hog, probably 95% will. SMH lol. Plus no changes to ice wizard, sparky or princess seems a bit ridiculous as well but whatever I guess.

memphisba

I am a level 8. Most of my unit upgrades are at level 5. The next upgrades requires 400 cards. And I have stop playing at aggressively for the gold boxes.

The game is fun for beginners. After that its becomes a very big chore to accumulate cards. No way I will pay.

sonicmj1

Does anyone have issues with the game sending false notifications? I sometimes get notifications saying that I have a chest unlocked when I don't have anything anywhere near unlocking. It's pretty shitty; almost as shitty as when it sends a notification saying that the Battle Arena is open when I've got all my chest slots filled.

Even with the power imbalance, it's still pretty fun in these early days, but I wish it didn't keep trying to get deeper under my skin.

hollomat

Banned
I am a level 8. Most of my unit upgrades are at level 5. The next upgrades requires 400 cards. And I have stop playing at aggressively for the gold boxes.

The game is fun for beginners. After that its becomes a very big chore to accumulate cards. No way I will pay.

The new request system makes it much easier to upgrade commons. Going from 0 to 400 only takes just over 4 days if you request only that card (and that's assuming you don't get any of those cards from chests).

Guys there is a taunt limit

I reached it

This guy was spamming tears and 'thanks!' in the beginning

So I took down his towers and then just started spamming the same thing

And I reached a taunt limit

Does my deck make sense???

Minon lvl 6, Witch lvl2, Skeletons lvl6, spear gobs lvl6, arrows lvl 6,
Giant lvl 5, valkyrie lvl 5 and hog donkey lvl 5...

I used musketeer or mini-pekka for the witch....but the stupid spamming skelly and 2 witchs at the end is good...

Im freaking weak Against spammer deck...I hate those...I go for the kill early on against them...

Most commons are lvl 5-6 and rare lvl 3-4 right now

might switvh Minions for Zap if I lvl it up...

Cuurently in between Arena 5-6..

don't have freeze or Baby Drag

Your deck is weak against arrows or any other aoe like bomb marauder, but you have a good rush deck. Put down a giatn behind your castle, let it walk up, by the time it reaches their side of the river drop all the low units+hog to another side so that your opponent can't react to both.

I mean, it's situational, but your deck lets you attack both lanes at once if you position your Giant right.

ElyrionX

Ummm if you are stuck at 850 trophies for a month, it's because of your skill and not matchmaking. Many many people have reached far higher trophies as F2P and it's not even particularly hard.

ElyrionX

My only issue with this game is ice wizard and princess. I can't believe these cards are 3 elixir and not getting nerfed. Ice wizard in particular is such a powerful card. His ice spread is perfect for countering pushes or supporting pushes especially in the Royal giant meta. I'm at 2900 trophies and I see him in 75% of games. The other 25% have princess or one of the other legendaries. These cards are so overpowered.

Pretty much. And no, they are not ever getting nerfed.

Ummm if you are stuck at 850 trophies for a month, it's because of your skill and not matchmaking. Many many people have reached far higher trophies as F2P and it's not even particularly hard.

I got to Arena 5 before I spent a cent on it.

Even now, not having spent money for well over a month, I'm hovering around 2800-2900 trophies(Despite having gone as low as 2500 in the same month), so it's definitely a matter of lucky matchmaking and outplaying.

hollomat

Banned
Only times I taunt are when I play someone who has a legendary. I tend to taunt almost 100% of the time.

I'd pay $20 for an emote of the king burning dollar bills.

Maximus P

Only times I taunt are when I play someone who has a legendary. I tend to taunt almost 100% of the time.

I'd pay $20 for an emote of the king burning dollar bills.

I have a legendary and I've never spent a penny.

Edit: technically true, I did use some of my Google survay rewards to buy 500 gems when I was in arena 5.

Maximus P

Came across an impossible to beat deck just now....

They had-

Lava Hound
Dragon
minions
minion horde
mirror
arrows
skeletons
fireball

I have quite a lot of air defence ( Spears, Fireball, Princess, Musketeer ) and i still felt helpless.

They just fireballed or arrowed anything I put down and came at me with full air attack.

Future

It's really weird they feel Hog needed BUFFS (by nerfing Cannon). I have no idea what they are thinking.

Honestly hog plus goblins can still do fantastic damage if you mistime the cannon by a fraction of a second, or if the hog gets pushed to the side. Add freeze and the odds go up even more it will be successful.

I guess supercell just likes the hog meta.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
What's the strategy with spawning giants behind your tower versus close to the river?

ElyrionX

What's the strategy with spawning giants behind your tower versus close to the river?

Bridge lets you capitalize quickly on your elixir advantage while tower lets you build up a death ball of units. If you think your opponent has an elixir advantage, never drop a giant behind your tower unless you are at full elixir.

yatesl

Just had the weirdest bug. Game started to the sound of the king being hit and activating, and repeated that on a loop. I was red, he was blue. Constant lag and I couldn't really place any units so he beat me in 30 seconds.

I got a screenshot. I wish Android had a shadow play option so I could have recorded it.

nampad

BALANCE CHANGES 5/18

Boosts:

Mixed:

Nerfs:

Other:

So do I upgrade my epics now or later?

spyder_ur

For those having trouble with Hog Rider, I recommend keeping the stock 1 elixir skeletons in your deck. If you plop them down right in the hog riders way they bump him to the side. You'll take a hit or two but the trade is great. They also work well against a princess or wizard who is already engaged.

I don't have any problem with hog riders personally, there are just too many ways to distract and deal with them before they cause too much damage.

MadmanUK

For those having trouble with Hog Rider, I recommend keeping the stock 1 elixir skeletons in your deck. If you plop them down right in the hog riders way they bump him to the side. You'll take a hit or two but the trade is great. They also work well against a princess or wizard who is already engaged.

I don't have any problem with hog riders personally, there are just too many ways to distract and deal with them before they cause too much damage.

I just started using tombstone for this purpose. Works even well even if they use freeze as the skellys kill the hog rider when the tomb is destroyed.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I have tombstone in my deck too, perfect against hog and prince who are terrors in my skill bracket.

wonderpug

Neo Member

From a clean slate, spawning a giant at the river means your attack can be made up of 10 elixer worth of units at the most. If you spawn him behind your tower, you'll have regained a lot of elixer by the time he gets to the river, and your attack can be made up of 16+ elixer worth of units.

The downside of spawning behind the tower is that your opponent knows the giant is coming way ahead of time and can plan accordingly. Much better if you can have a bunch of units survive from defending against an attack, add in some more, and then manage to put the giant at the river with all those units behind him.

Top Bottom