• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

Maximus P

I've started seeing more hog/zap decks.

Tbh...I very rarely see any deck that isn't centred around the hog. Even the RG deck i came across earlier was only using the RG as a decoy to send a hog on the other lane.

If they're not going to nerf the card then they need to release better counters. Nerfing the cannon was unnecessary.

zoukka

Hog seems strong still. Maybe even stronger now that cannon is nerfed. Not sure how viable freeze is anymore though.

I never ran freeze in the deck. It was something like this:

Hog, Mini-Pekka, Ice-Wizard, Arrows
Cannon, Goblins, Spear Goblins, Zap

Basically a deck that can react fast and cycle quickly if needed.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I've started seeing more hog/zap decks.

Tbh...I very rarely see any deck that isn't centred around the hog. Even the RG deck i came across earlier was only using the RG as a decoy to send a hog on the other lane.

If they're not going to nerf the card then they need to release better counters. Nerfing the cannon was unnecessary.

It's funny because at my level (around 3500 cups), it's pretty rare to see a hog. I'm looking through my last 20 or so matches, and there's 4 hogs used out of 20. I still don't see why people think hog needs a nerf. It's pretty easily countered.

I can't believe the number of Level 9 folks with Legendaries I run into in the low and mid ranks of Arena 7. Why are you crappy crap dorks not doing better?

I've played gajillion games. No Legendaries, no Super Magical Chests. I wonder if I ever get lucky.

ElyrionX

I am at 2000-2100 cups and my last three games were against guys with ice wiz or princess. Those things are ridiculously OP wtf. The ice wiz stops dead big pushes all on his own. And he cost just 3 elixirs ffs.

I am at 2000-2100 cups and my last three games were against guys with ice wiz or princess. Those things are ridiculously OP wtf. The ice wiz stops dead big pushes all on his own. And he cost just 3 elixirs ffs.

You're just below where I am, and I've been dealing with the same struggle for two weeks. I don't know how to break through into the upper 2000s. It feels genuinely impossible. I so badly want a Legendary. I would go without food for a day for an Ice Wizard. (Not actually.)

Still spots in GAF Royale if anyone needs an active clan! #Q8C9CY
Please include your GAF name in your request to join. No need to post here.

ElyrionX

You're just below where I am, and I've been dealing with the same struggle for two weeks. I don't know how to break through into the upper 2000s. It feels genuinely impossible. I so badly want a Legendary. I would go without food for a day for an Ice Wizard. (Not actually.)

I just played my friend who just got a Sparky. Damn thing is OP as hell. You need inch perfect gameplay against it or else you lose a tower.

hollomat

Banned

These two cards are the bane of my existence. I finally made it to arena 8, but I see these two cards in almost every game. They take no skill to use and are extremely efficient for their low elixir cost.

I have neither (or any other legendary), so I'm constantly fluctuating in between arena 7 and 8. Nothing worse than outplaying someone but losing to them just because they had one of these cards.

I'm running the following deck which has pushed me from 2500 to 3000

Barbarians lvl 9
Spear goblins lvl 9
Minion horde lvl 8
Arrows lvl 9
Royal giant lvl 9
Elixir collector lvl 5
Baby dragon lvl 3
Archers lvl 9

I try to start games by dropping elixir collector behind a tower. Then I'll get archer and baby dragon starting behind the tower and drop Royal giant at the bridge. If the opponent plays Royal giant or hog I'll drop barbs or minion horde. I try to play reactively and won't do a push if I know they have barbs or another counter waiting to be dropped. If they overplay or I know they've used their counter, I'll send minion horde to take a tower.

commish

These two cards are the bane of my existence. I finally made it to arena 8, but I see these two cards in almost every game. They take no skill to use and are extremely efficient for their low elixir cost.

I have neither (or any other legendary), so I'm constantly fluctuating in between arena 7 and 8. Nothing worse than outplaying someone but losing to them just because they had one of these cards.

I tried telling a clan mate that those 2 cards, ice wizard and princess, were a bit OP and provided too much value for their cost. And he actually argued against me, haha. Shockingly, he runs a deck that basically spams ice wizard and princess all the time.

hollomat

Banned
I tried telling a clan mate that those 2 cards, ice wizard and princess, were a bit OP and provided too much value for their cost. And he actually argued against me, haha. Shockingly, he runs a deck that basically spams ice wizard and princess all the time.

These cards are so overpowered for the cost. I only run arrows (no zap or fireball) so if I use arrows on princess they can really punish me with minion horde. Ice wizard is even more powerful. For 3 elixir he can completely shut down a push or lead a push.

Like you pointed out above, the low cost allows you to spam them so easily. If you have both its even easier. Ice wizard slows the push and princess takes it out from afar. You hit princess with arrows then they drop minion horde.

The only reason someone using both those cards should lose is if their opponent's cards completely out level theirs. If you're playing an opponent of a similar card level who doesn't have those cards and you lose, you made a bunch of mistakes.

spyder_ur

What decks are people running with Ice Wizard and Princess? I see both a lot, most of the time someone puts Princess down solo on one side though which is easily countered. Sadly my ice wizard is only level 1.

My current deck is: Elixir, RG, Inferno, Minion Horde, Skeletons, Barbs, Spear Goblin and Fireball. Sitting at about 2600-2800 trophies where I've been forever. Should I maybe swap Ice Wizard and Princess for Spears and Barbs?

I don't get all the complaining about hog rider. There are plenty of counters including any building. Heck a one-elixir skeleton in front of him means you'll only take a hit or two. Not ideal, but my experience is people commit so much to the hog rider strategy that they can't deal with any counters to it.

commish

What decks are people running with Ice Wizard and Princess? I see both a lot, most of the time someone puts Princess down solo on one side though which is easily countered. Sadly my ice wizard is only level 1.

My current deck is: Elixir, RG, Inferno, Minion Horde, Skeletons, Barbs, Spear Goblin and Fireball. Sitting at about 2600-2800 trophies where I've been forever. Should I maybe swap Ice Wizard and Princess for Spears and Barbs?

I don't get all the complaining about hog rider. There are plenty of counters including any building. Heck a one-elixir skeleton in front of him means you'll only take a hit or two. Not ideal, but my experience is people commit so much to the hog rider strategy that they can't deal with any counters to it.

If you have the ice wizard and princess and aren't using them, then you're doing it wrong. I have a clan mate who rode those two cards to 3700+ cups as a level 9. You don't need both minion horde and barbs - pick only one for defense. Replace with ice wizard. I would replace spear goblins with princess but probably upgrade skeletons to goblins.

broz0rs

haha I just compared stats on Wiz and Ice Wiz.

A lv. 1 Ice Wiz has almost the same health as a lv. 9 Wizard. No wonder it feels like it takes forever to kill that thing, especially when it slows you.

hollomat

Banned
haha I just compared stats on Wiz and Ice Wiz.

A lv. 1 Ice Wiz has almost the same health as a lv. 9 Wizard. No wonder it feels like it takes forever to kill that thing, especially when it slows you.

And ice wiz costs 2 elixir less than wizard.

As commish pointed out, you should switch in ice wizard. I'd switch him in for skeleton and princess for inferno tower. Having ice wizard will slow hog/Royal giant so inferno tower shouldn't be needed as much. Ice wizard/princess will work fantastic for pushing and defending. If they waste arrows on princess and you know they don't have zap/fireball/wizard you can almost take a tower with minion horde. Since you'll no longer have inferno tower you'll probably want to keep barbs and minion horde for defense.

spyder_ur

If you have the ice wizard and princess and aren't using them, then you're doing it wrong. I have a clan mate who rode those two cards to 3700+ cups as a level 9. You don't need both minion horde and barbs - pick only one for defense. Replace with ice wizard. I would replace spear goblins with princess but probably upgrade skeletons to goblins.

And ice wiz costs 2 elixir less than wizard.

As commish pointed out, you should switch in ice wizard. I'd switch him in for skeleton and princess for inferno tower. Having ice wizard will slow hog/Royal giant so inferno tower shouldn't be needed as much. Ice wizard/princess will work fantastic for pushing and defending. If they waste arrows on princess and you know they don't have zap/fireball/wizard you can almost take a tower with minion horde. Since you'll no longer have inferno tower you'll probably want to keep barbs and minion horde for defense.

These were good pieces of advice. Bounced up to 2950 almost immediately. I kept inferno in almost strictly for hog rider decks. I love putting it up and you can almost sense the other person's frustration, often times they'll panic with freeze because they're already committed, you put down a low unit to clean up and get a huge advantage.

commish

These were good pieces of advice. Bounced up to 2950 almost immediately. I kept inferno in almost strictly for hog rider decks. I love putting it up and you can almost sense the other person's frustration, often times they'll panic with freeze because they're already committed, you put down a low unit to clean up and get a huge advantage.

I think inferno should be in every deck. Great counter in current meta.

Maximus P

It's funny because at my level (around 3500 cups), it's pretty rare to see a hog. I'm looking through my last 20 or so matches, and there's 4 hogs used out of 20. I still don't see why people think hog needs a nerf. It's pretty easily countered.

Last time I checked about 20 people from the level 8 featured games were running hog. Which is a massive amount when you consider the combos.

And hog/freeze works against nearly every deck. I get caught out often even though I have quite a few low costing troops.

I can't figure out what happened.

I had a great deck that carried me from 1700 to over 2500.

Then I went on holiday for a week.

I come back, and I've fallen from 2500+ to 1800ish using the exact same deck.

Other than a lot of decks having new epics, I can't figure it out.

Agent

Honestly, this has happened to all of us at some point. There really is no rhyme or reason for it. I went on a 6 game losing streak earlier today, probably the first one I've gone on in a few weeks. I just had some bad match ups and really poor starting hands that dictated the flow of matches. Sometimes it's just best to close the game and come back to it a few hours later with a fresh mindset. Tomorrow will also bring new deck changes with the update, so it will be a good time to try new things.

commish

Last time I checked about 20 people from the level 8 featured games were running hog. Which is a massive amount when you consider the combos.

And hog/freeze works against nearly every deck. I get caught out often even though I have quite a few low costing troops.

20 people is still less than half the decks, which seems about right. Hog seems more effective at lower levels where people have less experience fighting it and are less experienced at using a hog rush defense to generate a good elixir advantage. Some of us have been defending against hog rushes for 2000+ games.

Honestly, this has happened to all of us at some point. There really is no rhyme or reason for it. I went on a 6 game losing streak earlier today, probably the first one I've gone on in a few weeks. I just had some bad match ups and really poor starting hands that dictated the flow of matches. Sometimes it's just best to close the game and come back to it a few hours later with a fresh mindset. Tomorrow will also bring new deck changes with the update, so it will be a good time to try new things.

I'm going to try an all new deck tomorrow. I'm sure I'll drop from 3500 to 3000 until I figure it out. Just need to figure out a new RG defense and then build around that.

Went on a major losing streak from like 2100 to 1500 :I

Serves me right for testing decks out >.<

Not spending another penny on this game until i get a legendary. This is bullshit.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Went on a major losing streak from like 2100 to 1500 :I

Serves me right for testing decks out >.<

Not spending another penny on this game until i get a legendary. This is bullshit.

I wish there was a better way to test out decks. I guess asking clan mates to play against you with certain metas might work, but the training arena is useless.

Agent

Update Prediction: I see an increase in sodium levels about the Miner happening post update. I was watching some game play with it and I think if you can build the right deck it is going to really stand out. With the HP increase it is basically going to be a mobile Knight you can deploy anywhere with fairly decent damage.

I think I am going to find a way to build a deck with it and see what the potential is. Since it is so new and unique I think there are some ways to be creative with it and see what happens. I also don't think many people have it yet which probably will add to the element of surprise when people go against it.

DrkSage

Made it to legendary arena last night! Played a couple of games and it seems I can maintain myself with this deck I've been using since 2500+, now I'm hovering between 3050 and sometimes fall to 2900+ but get back up quickly. It looks like that's my decks current range

Here's the deck( it was weaker before)
Giant Lv.6 (was Lv.5 when I started using the deck)
Balloon Lv.3
Arrows Lv.9
Fireball Lv.6 (was Lv.5 when I started using the deck)
Barbarians Lv.9
Goblins Lv.8 currently 30 cards away from Lv.9
Spear Goblins Lv.9 (was Lv.8)
Elixir pump lv.6 (was Lv.5)

Maximus P

Lv 3 balloons are brutal. I have trouble bringing then down..

Opened up a free chest today and got a sparky. You really can get Legendaries in any chest.

Edit..lost 7 matches since I slotted sparky into my deck. Last 5 matches were against people with minion horde, Skelton horde and ice wizard. All formidable counters it seems.

ElyrionX

So far, it seems like the best strategy to beat a sparky is to base race or at least to push the other lane. A sparky that is well supported is almost impossible to take down without losing elixir advantage.

Also, I've been using level 2 freeze all along and I have been closely monitoring some of my recent games and I don't think it's viable anymore. That extra second matters a lot in both offense and defense.

hollomat

Banned
So far, it seems like the best strategy to beat a sparky is to base race or at least to push the other lane. A sparky that is well supported is almost impossible to take down without losing elixir advantage.

Also, I've been using level 2 freeze all along and I have been closely monitoring some of my recent games and I don't think it's viable anymore. That extra second matters a lot in both offense and defense.

Your mind is playing tricks on you then because the balance changes aren't live yet.

Lol I know that. I'm saying that I would not have won or would have lost some games if I did not have an extra second of freeze.

Ah, my bad. I'm excited to see freeze get nerfed. Should be interesting to see how it changes things up.

Curious to see how the update tomorrow changes the meta. Miner combined with Mini Pekka or Minion Horde can be deadly, so this update could be insane for those that have Miner.

Usually the first day of a patch is interesting because lots of people are trying new combos, always an interesting time lol.

Personally I kind of want to drop RG and try some new decks, but I'll definitely fall off of Arena 7 if I mess around too much. I just got an Ice Wizard so I'd preferably like to make a solid push to mid/high 2000s before I look at spicing up my deck.

I wish you could play with a trial deck against other randoms at your level with no reward other than satisfaction.

I have all the cards up to and including arena 4 except balloon and I just don't want to try something different, because I prefer not to slide down the arenas, then fill up on chests and then waste a climb back up, if the change does even work :(

Maximus P

Giant,Sparky,wizard is the winning combo for me. If you get all 3 together pushing up one lane very few people can stop it.

They either focus on the Sparky which leaves the Giant to do his thing or they try to air attack and the Wizard takes care of them.

I'm slowly creeping back up.

JoeNut

im stuck at 1900, every time i face someone in arena 7 i lose and drop down to 6, rinse, repeat. it's got to the point where i've just accepted i can't win in arena 7 yet.

current deck is:
RG
Collector
valk
musketeer
cannon
goblin hut
arrow
fireball

Any way to improve this? my valkyrie is level 6 and really powerful. i'd like to incorporate barbs but don't see how i could fit them in without removing her.

I seem to lose against giants, or possibly hogs, so i guess inferno should feature, but i'm not sure how

Maximus P

im stuck at 1900, every time i face someone in arena 7 i lose and drop down to 6, rinse, repeat. it's got to the point where i've just accepted i can't win in arena 7 yet.

current deck is:
RG
Collector
valk
musketeer
cannon
goblin hut
arrow
fireball

Any way to improve this? my valkyrie is level 6 and really powerful. i'd like to incorporate barbs but don't see how i could fit them in without removing her.

I seem to lose against giants, or possibly hogs, so i guess inferno should feature, but i'm not sure how

Never used a RG deck. But your very light on giant/heavy defence there.I'd swap out arrows or fireball for either barbs or mini pekka.

Edit: mini pekka and hogs are great hog defenders too. I like to put a giant just in front of them when they're done sweeping up the hog to counter.

Octacamo

I m stuck at 1400-1500 trphies and cant get past that... :(

need help with the deck post yours

i m at arena 5

my deck :

arrows lvl8
musketeer lvl 5
valkyrie lvl5
archers lvl7
minions lvl7
hog rider lvl5
spear goblins lvl7
skeleton army lvl2

what should i do?

MadmanUK

Yep I was at 2200-2300 and now I can't break 1900, so frustrating.

Maximus P

Im actually starting to feel guilty using the sparky.

On more than one occasion my opponent has just quit out once I've deployed or after they fail to defend the first tower. Also seeing alot of the angry king emoji in matches.

hollomat

Banned

current deck is:
RG
Collector
valk
musketeer
cannon
goblin hut
arrow
fireball

My deck is similar and I'm around 3000 trophies.

Elixir collector
Royal giant
Barbarians
Minion horde
Archers
Spear goblins
Arrows
Baby dragon (could probably swap for wizard)

It's worked out for me well. All the commons are lvl 9, except minion horde which was 8 (I was around 2600 when they were lvl 8. Elixir collector is lvl 5 and baby dragon is lvl 3. Just bought princess in the legendary shop and swapped archers for her so we will see is it goes.

Barbs are the key to the deck. They tear goal giant and hog apart and ago of be even better now that freeze is reduced.

i m at arena 5

my deck :

arrows lvl8
musketeer lvl 5
valkyrie lvl5
archers lvl7
minions lvl7
hog rider lvl5
spear goblins lvl7
skeleton army lvl2

what should i do?

I'd swap out hog rider for giant. Hog rider without freeze gets taken out too quickly and then you've just wasted 5 elixir. For the same cost you can play giant and support him from behind.

Maximus P

i m at arena 5

my deck :

arrows lvl8
musketeer lvl 5
valkyrie lvl5
archers lvl7
minions lvl7
hog rider lvl5
spear goblins lvl7
skeleton army lvl2

what should i do?

This deck seems really light to me, what's your average elixir cost?

I'd probably throw a giant into the mix to draw fire or maybe swap minions for dragon as you can afford the extra cost.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Im actually starting to feel guilty using the sparky.

On more than one occasion my opponent has just quit out once I've deployed or after they fail to defend the first tower. Also seeing alot of the angry king emoji in matches.
Don't feel guilty of having been blessed by RNGesus.

Unless you bought the chest it came in and then just wipe those tears with a bank note.

Octacamo

I'd swap out hog rider for giant. Hog rider without freeze gets taken out too quickly and then you've just wasted 5 elixir. For the same cost you can play giant and support him from behind.

This deck seems really light to me, what's your average elixir cost?

I'd probably throw a giant into the mix to draw fire or maybe swap minions for dragon as you can afford the extra cost.

will try with giant.. normal elixir cost is 3.6 with this deck

thanks guys

Raven77

Lv 3 balloons are brutal. I have trouble bringing then down..

Opened up a free chest today and got a sparky. You really can get Legendaries in any chest.

Edit..lost 7 matches since I slotted sparky into my deck. Last 5 matches were against people with minion horde, Skelton horde and ice wizard. All formidable counters it seems.

I'm convinced the game has some sort of match making to push losses onto people. What better way to get them to be frustrated and spend more money. This is just a theory, but over on the reddit C-Royale page their are many who think this is the case.

I'm not sure what else can explain the winning / losing streaks. I've noticed that at my rank 7, I will go against rank 8's and almost every time I end up winning. I go against rank 6's and I can barely get a tower sometimes. It is also "ironic" that if I switch to an air heavy deck, suddenly i'm going up against the most anti-air decks possible over and over. I switch to a more ground attack based deck and *shocking* I am no longer going up against heavy air decks...just a theory but I believe in it 100%.

Doesn't really effect my enjoyment of the game though. I love the gameplay.

I am about 1 donation away from hitting Rank 8. Can anyone give me a good deck to push me from 1600 trophies? I have been hovering around that mark for weeks and can't seem to break through.

wonderpug

Neo Member

For what it's worth, I was trucking along between 2000-2200 for a while, and then all of a sudden I crashed down to 1700 and right now I waver between 1700-1800. My skill level hasn't changed and my decks have only gotten better, so I just chalk it up to some kind of change that happened to how players are distributed across the trophy levels.

Maximus P

Don't feel guilty of having been blessed by RNGesus.

Unless you bought the chest it came in and then just wipe those tears with a bank note.

Spent £3.99 when I first got the game with google survey rewards (and spent the gems unwisely)

Got the Sparky in a free chest and my Princess in a crown chest.

There are some really good players in the 2500+ bracket, some of the players i face drop goblins at just right moment to draw the sparkys fire and others are so quick on the counter that I'm left surprised myself.

Seeing less Hog decks up here too , so I'm having more fun taking on a wide variety of decks.

The only deck that I can't handle is decks centred round high levelled balloons. they wreck me.

Matush

Cant seem to break 3000, been hovering around 2500-2700 trophies, most of the time I am facing players with LVL9 towers. Not to mention most of them have legendaries or lvl1 adv in cards against my deck. Plus thry have to courage to taunt me after / during match, f those guys.

It seems I hit a wall until I lay down some money.

My deck:
Barbs, Spear Gob., Min. Horde, Royal G., Canon LVL 9
Zap LVL 8
Elixir Pump, Fireball LVL 5

spyder_ur

The key to defending Sparky is to make him turn. It takes awhile and you can get some hits in. You'll take a shot or two to a mob or tower but you gain a huge elixir advantage.

I still don't have him.

Top Bottom