• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

Sparky needs to be nerfed already. It's so obvious that some of these players I go up against in Legendary Arena make it there by that one card alone.

I was looking at a YouTuber in the top 50 who was raging at people who use fireball plus rocket to knock down towers, saying the game is broken for that combo and people who do it should be sad about themselves.
It never occurred to me but it does seem to be poor design. If they can hold off a push they win by bombardment with no counter?

spyder_ur

I was looking at a YouTuber in the top 50 who was raging at people who use fireball plus rocket to knock down towers, saying the game is broken for that combo and people who do it should be sad about themselves.
It never occurred to me but it does seem to be poor design. If they can hold off a push they win by bombardment with no counter?

If they're committing that much elixir to rockets and fireball they shouldn't be able to hold off a push. Defensive towers and rockets/fireball is definitely super annoying to play against though.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I got about 5 matches in a row where their side was just covered in barbarian huts by the end of the match. I just don't have a deck that can deal with that, feels so cheap too.

I got about 5 matches in a row where their side was just covered in barbarian huts by the end of the match. I just don't have a deck that can deal with that, feels so cheap too.

Hut decks do really well against the current meta of Hog Rider and RG. As an RG player I have to keep those fireballs/arrows flying to prevent too much of a buildup when they take out my RG and counterpush. With low cost cycle decks too it's hard to counter against a large buildup/steady stream of troops that hut decks offer.

JoeNut

Hey all, Neogaf Elite is open for business after losing quite a few rage uninstallers this week. Stick a request in to join us, we're an active bunch with a fairly even spread of newer players to high trophy people

Maximus P

Sparky needs to be nerfed already. It's so obvious that some of these players I go up against in Legendary Arena make it there by that one card alone.

I mentioned this earlier, but the Sparky is actually really easy to counter.

Minion horde on top of it takes it out quickly,Zap resets its recharge.,Freeze stops it dead and then it has to recharge once thawed out,low costing troops can decoy the fire and Skeleton guards/Dark prince take the first round also, leaving it open to attack. I've also been caught out when I've put one down by my opponents rushing the opposite lane by taking advantage of the Sparkys slow speed.

Hardly anyone uses it in the level 8 arena, i hardly see anyone in the featured games.

Hey all, Neogaf Elite is open for business after losing quite a few rage uninstallers this week. Stick a request in to join us, we're an active bunch with a fairly even spread of newer players to high trophy people

I can vouch for elite. Donations are super quick. (Please ignore my random rants when I'm on losing streak if you join)

nampad

I mentioned this earlier, but the Sparky is actually really easy to counter.

Minion horde on top of it takes it out quickly,Zap resets its recharge.,Freeze stops it dead and then it has to recharge once thawed out,low costing troops can decoy the fire and Skeleton guards/Dark prince take the first round also, leaving it open to attack. I've also been caught out when I've put one down by my opponents rushing the opposite lane by taking advantage of the Sparkys slow speed.

Hardly anyone uses it in the level 8 arena, i hardly see anyone in the featured games.

I can vouch for elite. Donations are super quick. (Please ignore my random rants when I'm on losing streak if you join)

You act like the sparky is not played in a combo, lol.
Somebody who knows what he does can not be stopped.

Maximus P

You act like the sparky is not played in a combo, lol.
Somebody who knows what he does can not be stopped.

I play it with wizard. But that alone is 11 elixir. If I have pumps I can probably get a fireball or barbs, but even that combo can be destroyed easily.

Highly recommend players who feel the game is rigged to go look at your match history over the past 25 games. Take a look at your deck and compare it to your opponents. Don't look at player level because sometimes it just means they've leveled a lot of cards they aren't using. I did that recently when I had a losing streak and found out that my emotions got the better of me. My match-ups at Arena 7 were quite fair, but occasionally there would be some crazy decks.

It depends. I feel like the time at which you are playing matters a lot. Sometimes I easily make it above 2800 trophies. I few hours later I drop down to 2500 even though I'm playing just as good.

When you are very high up for your level/troops ( I feel like when you stop seeing people who are lower level than you you are pretty high. Ever since I turned level 8 I haven't seen a single lv. 7 player and before that maybe one in 20 was a lv 7), of course you are going to see people with higher troops than you.

I regularly encounter people with lv 4 epics, lv 10 regs and lv 7 rare with my lv 9 regs, lv 2 epic, and lv 6 rare.
BUT in my experience these people are just bad players, when I encounter people with similar troops as mine, they usually play a lot better.
So the game either matches good players or not so good players who have higher troops to make up for their lack of skill. At the end of the day I rarely feel like the matchmaking is plain unfair. Maybe one in 10 or 15 matches, but in return one in 10 or 15 matches is someone who has similar troops and is a bad player, so thats unfair in my favor then.

My biggest problem is actually connection loss. I have lag or get kicked regularly. Its infuriating, especially when I'm winning and then lose because of the kick.

Ninja Dom

I feel that Clash Royale is very heavy on it's connection requirements. That connection lost symbol appears at the slightest change of network conditions.

ElyrionX

I can never seem to beat sparky decks. My deck:

Skellies
Musketeer
Wizard
Witch
Hog
Royal Giant
Fireball
Cannon

Dropping a witch for her skellies to bait the first shot and then dropping skellies should get rid of it. But sparkies are always well-supported with stuff like giant, barbs, wizards. I have no idea at all how I am supposed to beat them.

Maximus P

Skellies
Musketeer
Wizard
Witch
Hog
Royal Giant
Fireball
Cannon

Dropping a witch for her skellies to bait the first shot and then dropping skellies should get rid of it. But sparkies are always well-supported with stuff like giant, barbs, wizards. I have no idea at all how I am supposed to beat them.

Are u in neogaf elite Elyrion?

I can upload a few replays of me getting wrecked so you can get some tips.

Your deck needs a powerhouse like barbs, mini pekka or minion horde, you don't seem to have much that can give out quick damage to enemy troops.

ElyrionX

Are u in neogaf elite Elyrion?

I can upload a few replays of me getting wrecked so you can get some tips.

Your deck needs a powerhouse like barbs, mini pekka or minion horde, you don't seem to have much that can give out quick damage to enemy troops.

Nope not in the Neogaf clan.

I'm not sure how helpful mini Pekka would be. I used to play barbs/minion horde but had to drop them in my current deck. Horde was just too easily countered and the timing on your barbs drop must be inch perfect or else it's 5 elixir down the drain.

Maybe I should just accept that sparky will be one of my deck's biggest weakness and just move on. I am managing to move up A7 with my current deck anyway.

Skellies
Musketeer
Wizard
Witch
Hog
Royal Giant
Fireball
Cannon

I'd probably do zap instead of witch if I were you, wizard does the same things as witch only better.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Been getting nothing but level 8s since I got near Arena 6. Luckily I've been winning still, and am only 50xp away from levelling up.

Got a stupid Mortar though as my first Arena 6 card.

Maximus P

I'm still yet to win against a balloon/freeze deck, I wish I could swap a card to help defend against it, but my current deck is doing well at the moment and I can't afford to drop anything.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
My deck was alright from Arena 4-5, but it seems like it matches up well against the meta in Arena 6. It's gotten easier to win here, and I don't think I've gotten any better.

Ninja Dom

I'm still yet to win against a balloon/freeze deck, I wish I could swap a card to help defend against it, but my current deck is doing well at the moment and I can't afford to drop anything.

Archers placed on the wrong side of the balloon so drop archers behind the balloon after it has crossed to your side.

Brakke

Banned
After stalling out for a bit I finally have a foothold into Arena 4. So what's the math on Prince vs Hog Rider? I pretty much only ever use Prince to charge an empty lane when the opponent plays hard on the other side. Is Hog Rider that role exactly? Better? Worse?

Maximus P

After stalling out for a bit I finally have a foothold into Arena 4. So what's the math on Prince vs Hog Rider? I pretty much only ever use Prince to charge an empty lane when the opponent plays hard on the other side. Is Hog Rider that role exactly? Better? Worse?

Hog rider ignores troops and goes straight for the tower. Prince will attack anything close and can be countered with low costing troops stopping the charge. I find a Prince/wizard combo to good.

Once your in Arena 5+ you'll find a Hog/freeze, Hog/Zap defence is essential to going up the ranks. It's such a common combo that you can't ignore it. And the Freeze nerf did nothing to put off users of this combo.

I much prefer Mini pekka for opposite lane rushes. That thing can take out a tower on it's own and doesn't need freeze/zap to be successful. Also great for defending against the for mentioned hogs.

Maximus P

Archers placed on the wrong side of the balloon so drop archers behind the balloon after it has crossed to your side.

Thanks for this. I'm going to look at trying to at least have one card in my deck (Archers, Musketeer or Spear gobs) so we'll have to see.

Anyone familiar with the mechanics of resetting enemy aggro by spawning a unit on top of them? An enemy royal giant was firing at my crown tower, and I dropped a cannon on top of him, and I was expecting his being displaced by the cannon would reset his aggro and cause him to target the cannon. Did I have to drop a unit on him instead?

Matush

Anyone familiar with the mechanics of resetting enemy aggro by spawning a unit on top of them? An enemy royal giant was firing at my crown tower, and I dropped a cannon on top of him, and I was expecting his being displaced by the cannon would reset his aggro and cause him to target the cannon. Did I have to drop a unit on him instead?
I think that only Zap resets aggro for Royal Giant.

Wollan

I have steeled my mind but still occassionaly I end up spending money on this game and I end up feeling guilty. ~$20-30 since I started playing this during commutes a month ago.

hollomat

Banned

Zap and freeze reset aggro. I'm pretty sure ice wizard does as well but I could be wrong.

zoukka

Omg Super Magical from a match and inside a Princess! Now I have Ice Wizzy and Princess, I'm set till next op cards arrive :b

ultron87

Guards seem like a pretty silly card to be an Epic. They just seem like another option for bread and butter ground troops. Should be rare at most.

Guards seem like a pretty silly card to be an Epic. They just seem like another option for bread and butter ground troops. Should be rare at most.
I'm at the 2600 range and I've only seen Guards used in like 2 decks post update. Only as counters to the royal giant too. Personally I think they are a waste of a card slot currently, and since they are a new arena 7 epic many don't have it leveled yet either.

yatesl

He needs to be knocked back enough that he can no longer reach the tower.

ultron87

I'm at the 2600 range and I've only seen Guards used in like 2 decks post update. Only as counters to the royal giant too. Personally I think they are a waste of a card slot currently, and since they are a new arena 7 epic many don't have it leveled yet either.

Yeah, since I just got em from the store I just tried them for a few matches around 2300 and they feel pointless. They seem to lose to basically everything in a fight so I'm not sure what niche they're supposed to fill. The shield mechanic is alright for tanking aoe shots, but unless they're against an unsupported Sparky the follow up will just kill them because the post shield body is so squishy.

Yeah, since I just got em from the store I just tried them for a few matches around 2300 and they feel pointless. They seem to lose to basically everything in a fight so I'm not sure what niche they're supposed to fill. The shield mechanic is alright for tanking aoe shots, but unless they're against an unsupported Sparky the follow up will just kill them because the post shield body is so squishy.

They seem to be anti sparky. Not alone mind you. But tanking a sparky hit and still being able to damage is something. Especially for the cheap cost.

ElyrionX

Miner and lava hound don't feel like they should be legendaries either. But we all know that design choices in this game are tainted by P2W considerations.

hollomat

Banned
Miner and lava hound don't feel like they should be legendaries either. But we all know that design choices in this game are tainted by P2W considerations.

I disagree about miner. It absolutely feels like a legendary card. It's a much better and cheaper version of goblin barrel.

Agent

To be honest, most Epic cards are not in the best spot right now. There are very few that are worthwhile using in the current meta. Most are easily replaceable by Common/Rare/Legendary that are less Elixir and do as much damage. This is my perspective of the Epic cards, from the Legendary Arena.

Witch - 5 Elixir - Even with the latest buff I haven't seen this card at all. Last time I faced this card was probably Arena 4/5. Many better options available.

Skeleton Army - 4 Elixir - Similar to Witch, haven't seen this card in forever. Most everyone has a combo of Arrows/Zap/Wizard/Ice Wizard that basically cancel them out easily.

Balloon - 5 Elixir - Rarely seen. Air attacks are not in the best position right now. There is almost no reason to use air attacks when they only attack defensive buildings. Ground troops have an advantage of attacking air and ground forces. Though, this card can be used to catch people off guard easily if you can play it right.

Giant Skeleton - 6 Elixir - Probably overall one of the most useful Epics. Especially if you throw it out there during an opponent push since it basically will stop most with the bomb. Still, it's fairly rare to see this card in Legendary.

Rage - 3 Elixir - Another rarely seen card. I don't think it is bad, I think Freeze/Poison just overshadows it for deck composition.

Freeze - 4 Elixir - Even with the recent time reduction, still a useful card. Probably the most useful Epic card currently in the game.

Poison - 4 Elixir - Rarely seen, but an underrated card in my opinion. With the HP reductions of many building/Elixir Collectors, this card can basically wipe out spawner decks and soften up any opponent push with its effects.

Lightning - 6 Elixir - Rarely seen. This card does shine going against spawner decks, but need to get good value for it's use at 6 elixir. Not really worth the card slot over things like Fireball which does the same thing at a cheaper cost.

Mirror - ? Elixir - This card was fun when you initially got it to mess around. Then you get over it and to the basement vault it goes.

PEKKA - 7 Elixir - I love the PEKKA. I used it in a deck up until the most recent patch. I don't think it is as bad as people make it out to be currently, but it probably isn't in the best position in the current meta.

Golem - 8 Elixir - Similar to the PEKKA, just costs too much and even with the recent HP buff it is generally not that great. You can gain such an Elixir advantage over your opponent by taking this thing out with cheaper troops.

Guards - 3 Elixir - I could see these actually being useful, just not with the current deck meta. I think if they spawned 4 guards, maybe that would help. I could see that being a bit OP though for the cost. Not really sure how to make these more useful.

Goblin Barrel - 4 Elixir - Not overly useful in Legendary since opponents quickly Zap/Arrow things.

Dark Prince - 4 Elixir - This along with the Prince fell off a cliff with the Royal Giant buff. I don't think they are bad cards at all, but it seems everyone has shifted to the Royal Giant meta so they aren't quite as useful. I see Prince way more often than Dark Prince.

Prince - 5 Elixir - I rarely see this card used anymore. It has taken a few nerfs over the last few updates, but I still think it is a viable card in the right deck.

X-Bow - 6 Elixir - lol

Most the cards above aren't bad, just don't fit with cheaper alternatives that people likely have leveled up higher given Epic card rarity. The challenge is, I am not sure how you really fix them without pushing them into an OP territory quickly.

Edit: oh boy, sorry for the long post!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I use them and they are awesome. Fantastic counters to single heavy attack troops.

Sure, they can be useful against a Sparky or drawing a PEKKA's attention as well. But the main problem with them is that they are simply good at counter likes that, and especially with the new meta consisting of RG and Hog cycles (neither of which focus on attacking troops) they seem really hard to justify using in a deck. If you play a RG or Hog user than they are essentially a waste of a card slot because they really don't have their own offensive purpose.

Overall I'm very curious where Supercell goes with the next update. I don't think they are going to touch Hog Rider, and I'm not sure if RG is going to get nerfed further. RG seems on the cusp of going back to irrelevance with another nerf, and without RG I think we will see a rise in defensive buildings again. Will definitely be interesting to see though...

I use them and they are awesome. Fantastic counters to single heavy attack troops.

Yeah, but like I said with the current meta being RG and Hog I don't find them very useful countering either of those decks. To each his/her own though, and if it works for you keep rolling with it!

Asked to join elite:

Apollo Creed....around 200 trophies....wanted Baby Drag as starting epic and trasnferred my other account to friends clan where 99% ask for Barbs or Hog....

Thanks if you can accept a low-lvl who'se gonna grow:)

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Balloons absolutely wreck my current deck. I only have Spear Goblins, plus Fireball and/or Zap to counter it. Luckily it doesn't pop up to often.

You can expand that to any air heavy deck I guess, but Minion/Horde is easily taken care of.

Maximus P

Yep. Theyre great against heavy tanks such as giant, sparky and giant skelton. They have the added benefit of being able to take a sparky shot or a hit from arrows or fireball too.

I like the idea of having 4 though. I'd reduce the DPS slightly and make them into four making them more effective against muskateers and archers.

I also think fireball should destroy freeze too. The nerf on freeze hasn't deterred anyone it seems and its still one of the most used cards. If they're not going to nerf it again, I'd like to see more options to fight against it.

Top Bottom