• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

Actual

I've having a hard time moving from Arena 3 to 4. I'll sometimes stay in 4 for a while, up to like 1200 trophies, but they I lose a few and drop back down. When I win, it's usually because I managed to make a wall of tanks (Valkyrie, Dragon, mini Pekka) supported by the ranged units, but it's hit or miss.

I'm level 6.
My deck:
Lvl 2 Skeleton Army
Lvl 1 Baby Dragon
Lvl 7 Archers
Lvl 6 Minions
Lvl 4 Musketeer
Lvl 5 Valkyrie
Lvl 1 Balloon
Lvl 5 Mini PEKKA

Any advice please?

hollomat

Banned
Whoa, amazing. Congrats. That's awesome.

I cannot wait for my first Legendary. I just hope it's an Ice Wizard. I really believe the Ice Wizard would get me over 3000.

It probably will. I was on the edge of 3000 constantly going between arena 7 and 8. Then I bought princess in the legendary shop. Now I'm around 3100 and feel much more comfortable in arena 8.

The past 10 games I've played, every opponent has had a legendary. There really isn't a good way to counter that except with a legendary of your own.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I've having a hard time moving from Arena 3 to 4. I'll sometimes stay in 4 for a while, up to like 1200 trophies, but they I lose a few and drop back down. When I win, it's usually because I managed to make a wall of tanks (Valkyrie, Dragon, mini Pekka) supported by the ranged units, but it's hit or miss.

I'm level 6.
My deck:
Lvl 2 Skeleton Army
Lvl 1 Baby Dragon
Lvl 7 Archers
Lvl 6 Minions
Lvl 4 Musketeer
Lvl 5 Valkyrie
Lvl 1 Balloon
Lvl 5 Mini PEKKA

Any advice please?

Use at least 1 defensive structure. I would use valk OR mini pekka, but not both. I would fit in goblins and/or spear goblins - they are always useful in a deck. I don't like skeleton army much but if it's working for you, keep it.

Actual

Use at least 1 defensive structure. I would use valk OR mini pekka, but not both. I would fit in goblins and/or spear goblins - they are always useful in a deck. I don't like skeleton army much but if it's working for you, keep it.

Thank you. I think I will swap out the skeleton army for spear goblins. Which defensive structure do you think would work? I tried out the crossbow thing, and it's awesome, but it costs a lot of elixis.

commish

Thank you. I think I will swap out the skeleton army for spear goblins. Which defensive structure do you think would work? I tried out the crossbow thing, and it's awesome, but it costs a lot of elixis.

No, don't use xbow or mortar. Cannon is good, if you have it.

commish

Is there any reason to use both zap and arrows, commish?

They do serve a bit different functions, so you could use them both if you like. For example, one of the best reasons to use zap is the stun effect it has. But the trend seems to be to replace arrows with zap completely. Probably the right move, as it's pretty rare the circumstance where an arrow would be significantly better than a zap. If you are facing huts often, perhaps, or a steady stream of little creatures like minions and goblins. But that doesn't seem to be in the current meta. Also, a zap won't kill a princess like arrows would, if that matters to you.

dream

They do serve a bit different functions, so you could use them both if you like. For example, one of the best reasons to use zap is the stun effect it has. But the trend seems to be to replace arrows with zap completely. Probably the right move, as it's pretty rare the circumstance where an arrow would be significantly better than a zap. If you are facing huts often, perhaps, or a steady stream of little creatures like minions and goblins. But that doesn't seem to be in the current meta. Also, a zap won't kill a princess like arrows would, if that matters to you.

Makes sense. My dilemma right now is that my zap is level 6, whereas my arrows are level 9. Would you swap now? Or hold off until zap is leveled a few more times?

Rixxan

weird, every time i try playing today im getting a connection error indicator, regardless if i try via cell service or wifi

commish

Makes sense. My dilemma right now is that my zap is level 6, whereas my arrows are level 9. Would you swap now? Or hold off until zap is leveled a few more times?

Yeah you have to look at how much damage it does vs what you're likely to face. It may not make THAT much difference, since you are going to be relying on your tower to finish off zapped things most likely (or spear goblins), but I would check to make sure one tower shot + zap would kill minions, for example.

Maximus P

Nearly uninstalled in a rage today.

My match making alately has been sooooo unlucky.

I faced sparky decks 3 times in a row. I have a sparky myself but the enemy had zap too which is essential to a good defence against it, especially as two sparkys are moving close together and I get zapped just before the shot.....

So, I decided to change my deck based on these 3 decks and went for a zap of my own taking out mini pekka. The next 3 games are against decks that feature the ever popular hog-freeze and as I was down my mini pekka I was left short with defending options...

So I went back to my old style...and came across zap decks again..

lol, this game.

Edit: I actually thought sparky needed a nerf when I first came across it, but now I have one I'm not of that opinion anymore. Players defend against so easily in the 2400+ trophy bracket. They just zap it, freeze it or spam it at just the right moment.I actually think I'm going to drop it for something else, maybe go back to the giant Skelton.

ST2K

Busted my way into Arena 6 after a couple weeks of trying. Need to get me some of those Elixir Collectors.

ElyrionX

How essential is Elixir Collector? My current deck is 4.0 average cost. Should I try to squeeze a Collector somewhere in there?

So I got a Lava Hound from the Free Chest.

And it's pretty strong. Because there's a lack of strong anti-air units, it works as a very strong tank that can only really be countered with a magma tower or the minion horde.

Maximus P

I wish there was a way of surrendering. I really don't want to fight against decks that go ultra defensive and rocket and fireball your troops/towers constantly. They usually end in draws, but I don't enjoy the matches at all so id rather just take the loss and move on to the next match.

broz0rs

How essential is Elixir Collector? My current deck is 4.0 average cost. Should I try to squeeze a Collector somewhere in there?

Best thing about Elixir Collector is that it forces your opponent to attack you. It really punishes players who like to sit at full elixir waiting for your move.

Future

Nearly uninstalled in a rage today.

My match making alately has been sooooo unlucky.

I faced sparky decks 3 times in a row. I have a sparky myself but the enemy had zap too which is essential to a good defence against it, especially as two sparkys are moving close together and I get zapped just before the shot.....

So, I decided to change my deck based on these 3 decks and went for a zap of my own taking out mini pekka. The next 3 games are against decks that feature the ever popular hog-freeze and as I was down my mini pekka I was left short with defending options...

So I went back to my old style...and came across zap decks again..

lol, this game.

Edit: I actually thought sparky needed a nerf when I first came across it, but now I have one I'm not of that opinion anymore. Players defend against so easily in the 2400+ trophy bracket. They just zap it, freeze it or spam it at just the right moment.I actually think I'm going to drop it for something else, maybe go back to the giant Skelton.

Royal giant plus sparky is almost impossible for me to stop. I don't know how to handle it. Royal giant tanks and sparky stays safe in your territory blasting whatever I put in front of the giant

broz0rs

Royal giant plus sparky is almost impossible for me to stop. I don't know how to handle it. Royal giant tanks and sparky stays safe in your territory blasting whatever I put in front of the giant

that's a 12 elixir combo with very slow mobility

if the player drops Royal Giant first by the bridge, obviously take it down asap. Sparky will probably get one shot in, but without RG it'll be easy to kill.

if Royal Giant is dropped by his own tower where your opponent is trying to accumulate more elixir to the attack, hit the other lane hard so that he or she has to spend elixir on defense, effectively killing the combo.

low cost decks are very good at dealing with Sparky

Maximus P

Tried this just now and got destroyed easily. All three decks I came across were heavily geared with minions, minion horde and dragons. I didn't stand a chance.

There really is so many counters to sparky to make it a viable choice IMO. It's ok as a finisher but useless before. The princess however is a fantastic little card.

There's not much skill involved at the higher levels. Its more to do with your luck on who your matched up with. I've been watching some of my matches back and both myslef and my enemy have played the cards we have perfectly, Yet I come out with the loss, simply becuase they have the perfect counter ready. (Minion horde and dragons + freeze against royal giant and sparky in this instance.).

I do like the even matches but theyre few and far between. For now it just feels like a game of paper, rock, scissors. Sometimes I have the paper to their rock and other they'll have the scissors to my paper.

What am I to make of a player whose highest trophies are 1100, is level 7, yet has 995 domination to his name and spams "good luck" constantly while playing?

hollomat

Banned
Tried this just now and got destroyed easily. All three decks I came across were heavily geared with minions, minion horde and dragons. I didn't stand a chance.

There really is so many counters to sparky to make it a viable choice IMO. It's ok as a finisher but useless before. The princess however is a fantastic little card.

There's not much skill involved at the higher levels. Its more to do with your luck on who your matched up with. I've been watching some of my matches back and both myslef and my enemy have played the cards we have perfectly, Yet I come out with the loss, simply becuase they have the perfect counter ready. (Minion horde and dragons + freeze against royal giant and sparky in this instance.).

I do like the even matches but theyre few and far between. For now it just feels like a game of paper, rock, scissors. Sometimes I have the paper to their rock and other they'll have the scissors to my paper.

Do you run wizard at all with sparky? He's the perfect counter for minion horde. Also you might consider throwing anticipatory arrows once sparky crosses the bridge if they are always playing minion horde.

I disagree with no skill being involved at the top. There's so much skill involved. You even agreed that your opponents are playing their cards perfectly. Part of the skill involved is looking at what you're constantly being countered by and changing your deck to counter that. If you're playing perfectly and being countered non stop and losing, it's time to change up your deck.

Only part I believe has no skill is legendary cards. 95% of the games I've played with 3000+ trophies, my opponent has 1 or more legendary cards. If you don't have a legendary of your own, you're at an immediate disadvantage.

Maximus P

Do you run wizard at all with sparky? He's the perfect counter for minion horde. Also you might consider throwing anticipatory arrows once sparky crosses the bridge if they are always playing minion horde.

I disagree with no skill being involved at the top. There's so much skill involved. You even agreed that your opponents are playing their cards perfectly. Part of the skill involved is looking at what you're constantly being countered by and changing your deck to counter that. If you're playing perfectly and being countered non stop and losing, it's time to change up your deck.

Only part I believe has no skill is legendary cards. 95% of the games I've played with 3000+ trophies, my opponent has 1 or more legendary cards. If you don't have a legendary of your own, you're at an immediate disadvantage.

I always run wizard with Sparky, little hard with Rg and Sparky though....12 Elixir so I have to have 2 pumps going to be anywhere near that. Most just freeze anyway. Sparky has so many natural counters, Air troops are good, Zap kills the charge, Dark prince and skeleton guards take the first hit and can kill it before the recharge, goblins, skeletons and spears can be put down just as its about to fire as a decoy.....There's a very good reason why hardly anyone uses it in arena 8.

I should have elaborated earlier, skill does play it's part,but anything over 2500 and there are very few mistakes made from anyone, so then it goes onto chosen decks rather than the skill. Some games you know that your at a huge disadvantage and others you know that you have a huge advantage and the best counter deck wins.

Talking of Freeze, the nerf doesn't seem to have put anyone off, it's still as prevalent as ever, i think a 1 elixir cost increase would have been better. Such a powerful card for 4 Elixir, it feels like it should have been a legendary card.

Maximus P

Best counter to lava hound is to leave it alone and focus on the other lane. That thing is a tank but it also has a very weak attack. I just wait until my towers kill it (and sometimes my princess on the opposite lane) then arrow the pups.

A level 2 lava hound has 29 damage per second, it would take forever to take out a tower on its own.

JoeNut

Best counter to lava hound is to leave it alone and focus on the other lane. That thing is a tank but it also has a very weak attack. I just wait until my towers kill it (and sometimes my princess on the opposite lane) then arrow the pups.

A level 2 lava hound has 29 damage per second, it would take forever to take out a tower on its own.

Hmm this is a good tip, i'll try that

ST2K

As a Lava Hound user, I never leave the thing unsupported. But yes, if it is, leave it alone and push the other lane.

Inferno Towers and Minion Hordes are also good, as are arrows to kill the Lava Pups.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
As a Lava Hound user, this is why I spawn it way far behind my tower. I'll get plenty of time to find 4 Elixir here and there to put a musketeer and/or a Baby Dragon behind it at some point.

Ninja Dom

Best thing about Elixir Collector is that it forces your opponent to attack you. It really punishes players who like to sit at full elixir waiting for your move.

Can you explain how Elixer Collector works please? Does it give you 1 extra unit of Elixer every so often? Or does it steal the Elixer from the other player?

hollomat

Banned
Can you explain how Elixer Collector works please? Does it give you 1 extra unit of Elixer every so often? Or does it steal the Elixer from the other player?

It costs 5 elixir. It generates one elixir for you every 9.8 seconds and lasts 70 seconds. So you give up 5 elixir immediately for a potential 7 elixir later.

It helps for big pushes because you'll be generating elixir faster than your opponent. However when you play it, you're opponent has an immediate 5 elixir advantage so you need to be ready with defense.

It just makes elixir. If it lives its entire lifespan, you get +2 elixir advantage.

It has several purposes:
- It essentially raises your max elixir from 10, so you can do pushes that require more than that.
- If you have no good card to play and you feel that your enemy doesn't have a fast push in hand, use it.
- It minimizes "downtime". For example, placing a high cost card (eg Barb Hut) will leave you with 3 Elixir. If you had one pump, you can time and be able to pull out a 4 elix card for defense (eg. Valkyrie). If you had two pumps, you can sort of time it and have 5 Elix in hand once you place your Barb Hut so you can defend with Barbs.

Ninja Dom

It costs 5 elixir. It generates one elixir for you every 9.8 seconds and lasts 70 seconds. So you give up 5 elixir immediately for a potential 7 elixir later.

It helps for big pushes because you'll be generating elixir faster than your opponent. However when you play it, you're opponent has an immediate 5 elixir advantage so you need to be ready with defense.

It just makes elixir. If it lives its entire lifespan, you get +2 elixir advantage.

It has several purposes:
- It essentially raises your max elixir from 10, so you can do pushes that require more than that.
- If you have no good card to play and you feel that your enemy doesn't have a fast push in hand, use it.
- It minimizes "downtime". For example, placing a high cost card (eg Barb Hut) will leave you with 3 Elixir. If you had one pump, you can time and be able to pull out a 4 elix card for defense (eg. Valkyrie). If you had two pumps, you can sort of time it and have 5 Elix in hand once you place your Barb Hut so you can defend with Barbs.

Thanks guys. I don't have it unlocked but I see it used so often.

nampad

Seems like the new witch is quite good, at least in the lower arenas where my alt is right now. Dropped 150 cups after dealing with her several times.

Well, I jumped on the train too and she is perfect with my lava hound :D

Lost my old account where I played Hog+Zap with Giant-Valkyrie-Witch-cannon-skelly and spear gob...+ arrows.

now starting new account...

BUILD ME A NEW DECK GUYS!!!

I wanna used new cards:) (No Hog Rider....area 3 currently on Gaf Elite)

1. Fireball
2 Mini-Destroyer

Fill the empty space and help me before I upgraded everything or ask for the wrong cards!!!

Maximus P

It seems I've suddenly become terrible at this. I couldn't pay for a win today. The win streaks and loss streaks happen so often that it's hard to not get annoyed.

I'm half tempted to be that douche bag that drops to -1000 trophies just so I can get a few wins.

Time to take a break, log on to open chests and play only when I need crown chest towers.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Seems like the new witch is quite good, at least in the lower arenas where my alt is right now. Dropped 150 cups after dealing with her several times.

Well, I jumped on the train too and she is perfect with my lava hound :D
I prefer the musketteer, samey hp but hits harder.

Ninja Dom

It seems I've suddenly become terrible at this. I couldn't pay for a win today. The win streaks and loss streaks happen so often that it's hard to not get annoyed.

I'm half tempted to be that douche bag that drops to -1000 trophies just so I can get a few wins.

Time to take a break, log on to open chests and play only when I need crown chest towers.

The losing streaks are absolutely brutal in this game. And I don't know why. Is it psychological? If I lose one match then I'm losing another four after that.

hollomat

Banned
The losing streaks are absolutely brutal in this game. And I don't know why. Is it psychological? If I lose one match then I'm losing another four after that.

I'm pretty sure it's psychological and not engineered by super cell as some seem to think. The more I lose, the more it throws me off and I make mistakes which causes me to lose more and the cycle continues.

The amount of work it would take to purposefully match you against decks that counters yours would be insane and wouldn't really benefit supercell much. How would you go about determining which deck of 8/56 cards is a counter for another deck out of 8/56 cards in a similar trophy range and match them up in less than 5 seconds.

I think the biggest issue that supercell needs to address is how unfriendly the game is now for new players. The lower arenas are absolute hell and arena 3/4 are filled with lvl 7 and 8 players who are either awful or trolling. Youre trapped in those arenas for quite a while until you upgrade the cards to levels that shouldn't be needed in those arenas. I've been playing since the soft launch so I didn't have this issue, but if I had, it would've made me abandon the game.

Dazzler

I'm pretty sure it's psychological and not engineered by super cell as some seem to think. The more I lose, the more it throws me off and I make mistakes which causes me to lose more and the cycle continues.

The amount of work it would take to purposefully match you against decks that counters yours would be insane and wouldn't really benefit supercell much. How would you go about determining which deck of 8/56 cards is a counter for another deck out of 8/56 cards in a similar trophy range and match them up in less than 5 seconds.

I think the biggest issue that supercell needs to address is how unfriendly the game is now for new players. The lower arenas are absolute hell and arena 3/4 are filled with lvl 7 and 8 players who are either awful or trolling. Youre trapped in those arenas for quite a while until you upgrade the cards to levels that shouldn't be needed in those arenas. I've been playing since the soft launch so I didn't have this issue, but if I had, it would've made me abandon the game.

It's a shit show all the way up the ladder. I regularly face people in Arena 6 who are two levels above me

hollomat

Banned
It's a shit show all the way up the ladder. I regularly face people in Arena 6 who are two levels above me

Ironically enough it actually seems pretty balanced in arena 8. Occasionally I'll face someone with cards much higher than mine, but most opponents have the same lvl cards as me.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

I've been thinking a bit about this since I had my ragequit/breakdown a couple days ago. After tanking my trophies down to under 300, I was able to climb back up to within 200 trophies of where I was with the greatest of ease.

The way it seems to me, depending on what your player level is and how leveled your cards are, there's a floor to which arena you can realistically get knocked down to, and it's really, really hard to get knocked below that floor. I'm level 7 and for me it's arena 4. Once I dip into arena 3 I start facing people 2 levels below me and I crush my way back up to A4 super fast.

The reason I likely went on that awful loss streak that sent me into a rage is because I was in arena 5, and not barely, I was like 6-7 wins into Arena 5 and I probably didn't really deserve that. I think the secret to not raging on this game is to just be more realistic about what your floor is and don't think that you "belong" in higher arenas just because you fought you way into them a couple of times.

I'm glad during my trip to arena 5 that I was able to snag a wizard. Now, even tho I'm in A4 and not getting him in chests, I can still level him up thru requests.

broz0rs

Highly recommend players who feel the game is rigged to go look at your match history over the past 25 games. Take a look at your deck and compare it to your opponents. Don't look at player level because sometimes it just means they've leveled a lot of cards they aren't using. I did that recently when I had a losing streak and found out that my emotions got the better of me. My match-ups at Arena 7 were quite fair, but occasionally there would be some crazy decks.

Top Bottom