• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

hollomat

Banned
Cant seem to break 3000, been hovering around 2500-2700 trophies, most of the time I am facing players with LVL9 towers. Not to mention most of them have legendaries or lvl1 adv in cards against my deck. Plus thry have to courage to taunt me after / during match, f those guys.

It seems I hit a wall until I lay down some money.

My deck:
Barbs, Spear Gob., Min. Horde, Royal G., Canon LVL 9
Zap LVL 8
Elixir Pump, Fireball LVL 5

My deck is similar to yours and I just hit 3000 trophies with it. Although I had also just gotten to crown tower lvl 9, which definitely helped.

Barbs, spear gob, Royal giant, archers, arrows lvl 9
Minion horde lvl 8
Elixir collector lvl 5
Baby dragon lvl 3

The key to defending Sparky is to make him turn. It takes awhile and you can get some hits in. You'll take a shot or two to a mob or tower but you gain a huge elixir advantage.

I still don't have him.

If you zap sparky right before he fires, you cancel his attack. I was running zap for a little to counter him, but I no longer do just because I don't see him often enough to make it worth it.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Cant seem to break 3000, been hovering around 2500-2700 trophies, most of the time I am facing players with LVL9 towers. Not to mention most of them have legendaries or lvl1 adv in cards against my deck. Plus thry have to courage to taunt me after / during match, f those guys.

It seems I hit a wall until I lay down some money.

My deck:
Barbs, Spear Gob., Min. Horde, Royal G., Canon LVL 9
Zap LVL 8
Elixir Pump, Fireball LVL 5

There's a guy in my clan at 3365 cups who is level 8 with level 9 or lower cards. So, it can be done! His deck is actually pretty similar to yours, but uses 3 musks.

Agent

Been messing around with this deck this morning:

Miner
Ice Wizard
Minion Horde
Spear Goblins
Goblins
Zap
Cannon
Fireball

Average Elixir cost: 3.0

It's a blast to use and you can really catch people off guard if you bait out arrows/fireball. Plus with a bunch of low cost troops you can just keep throwing things out to attack/defend. All of the cards are fairly versatile for offense/defense which is kind of nice. I don't see sticking with the deck, but it changes up the game a bit.

ElyrionX

The problem with zap is, it only stops one attack. If the sparky is well supported, you're going to lose elixir advantage. The strongest counter is minion horde but sparkies tend to have wizard support. Barbs are good but you need to time it perfectly when you drop it so they surround him when they land. Even so, one shot still takes out two barbs. I've been watching every single TV Royale game with sparky in it and there is just no hard counter. It's quite absurd.

ElyrionX

Freeze gets it pretty good since that puts it down for the entire freeze time + a charge cycle.

Yeah usually freeze + barbs gets the job done. But that's 9 elixir. If you see a sparky rolling up and only have 6 elixir, it's a tough spot. Freeze early with no dps and you're massively screwed. With the reduced freeze duration now, it's even harder.

Maximus P

Gone up 500 trophies with sparky. I still get beat by clever players but it's kind of funny seeing the mass panic from some players who don't know how to handle it. Some just stick their entire army in front of it, others will rush the other lane with weak troops that get eaten up by tower defences and others drop minion hordes right next to my wizards.

It's getting tougher with every game as I'm seeing more and more higher levelled troops and more people that have obviously spent a fortune with level 3+ legendaries etc. Nearing on 3000 now.

got this deck making people rage at the moment lol

xGw0dca.png

I'm still stuck in the 2200-2300 range. Still Level 7. Still no Legendaries.

When someone puts down Miner or Sparky, I'll sometimes just quit and let them have the match. I have a very, very low success rate against those units. I might as well let my opponent enjoy his money and take my three towers. I'll generally say 'Good Luck', thumbs up, and then drop out. I don't want it to come off as bad sportsmanship, and it really isn't intended to be. I just don't see the point in spending 3 minutes bashing my head against a wall.

When folks drop the standard Ice Wizard + tank thing, I'll generally continue on. I'd say that I'm winning about 35-40% of my matches against Ice Wizard fiends, so it's worth putting up a fight.

commish

The problem with zap is, it only stops one attack. If the sparky is well supported, you're going to lose elixir advantage. The strongest counter is minion horde but sparkies tend to have wizard support. Barbs are good but you need to time it perfectly when you drop it so they surround him when they land. Even so, one shot still takes out two barbs. I've been watching every single TV Royale game with sparky in it and there is just no hard counter. It's quite absurd.

Stopping one sparky attack should be all you need. You should never let a sparky get well supported. If you let the sparky train get rolling with a wizard and a giant and other support, then it's over. That's the same for any big tank. You can't let the train get started.

If you really are facing a lot of sparkys, consider running units with shields, like dark prince or the new guards (whatever their names are). Tombstone also works well in soaking up the hit and taking him down with the little guys that spawn after.

I actually don't think sparky is that good a card once you get up to a high enough level, especially since people are pretty predictable in how they use the card. Drop sparky behind their tower, then drop a tank right before he hits. I just keep pushing the other side so they can't support the sparky, then I drop barbs right on sparky and they take him down. I have the split barb sparky drop down to a science.

I'm still stuck in the 2200-2300 range. Still Level 7. Still no Legendaries.

When someone puts down Miner or Sparky, I'll sometimes just quit and let them have the match. I have a very, very low success rate against those units. I might as well let my opponent enjoy his money and take my three towers. I'll generally say 'Good Luck', thumbs up, and then drop out. I don't want it to come off as bad sportsmanship, and it really isn't intended to be. I just don't see the point in spending 3 minutes bashing my head against a wall.

When folks drop the standard Ice Wizard + tank thing, I'll generally continue on. I'd say that I'm winning about 35-40% of my matches against Ice Wizard fiends, so it's worth putting up a fight.

Miner?! When they drop a minor, just use goblins. That's all it takes. Always keep goblins in your deck.

Maximus P

lol. And so the drop begins as my losing streak builds up.

The last 4 enemies have had zap, freeze and minion horde in their decks.

Coincidence? Bah, it's happening way too much for me to think that anymore. Hopefully when the game matches me against other players I get more wins than loses so I can creep up the ranks a bit.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
After enjoying a day of Arena 5 I managed to lose 300 trophies while trying to get my crown chest and knocked back to 4 so I finally snapped and tanked my trophy count all the way down to like 300-something.

Was a very liberating feeling, surrendering to the freefall and leaving behind the arena climb struggle. Under 500 trophies there's actually nobody legitimately trying to win this game. It's just a bunch of sad fucks trying to see how low their trophy count can go. Was somehow even a more sad place to witness than the P2W fuckery of arena 4+

Anyways, I decided to climb back a little bit and climbing up thru arena's 2-3 where I was 2-3 levels higher than everybody was MISERABLE and I felt like an absolute shithead. That was truly the lowest I ever felt playing this game. I tried so hard to let people at least take a tower or two off of me (in case they were trying to get their crown chest) on my way to effortless 3-crown winning, but some weren't even able to manage that.

For all my trouble I managed to snag a magical chest from my first win on my climb back. It's only arena 2 but an epic's an epic.

zoukka

Decided to replace minipekka with Knight and the deck seems to be quite effective.

Knight, hog, ice wizard, cannon
Zap, arrows and both goblins

Finally broke into Arena 7!!! Been three crowning a lot lately. Push decks seem to be the meta right now.

Deck:
-Pekka
-Prince
-Wizard
-Elixir pump
-Goblins
-Spear goblins
-Fireball
-Minion horde

Once the deck gets going it's very hard to counter it.

I rage uninstalled this game AGAIN this morning.

I was bobbling between arena 4 and 5 then got a few lucky games and a few good ones and was solidly in 5 for awhile....

All of a sudden, every single person im matched against is awesome, not necessarily over powered (some were) but just incredibly good at playing. Nothing I did worked, and lost a ton of games in a row as I went on tilt.

Almost down to arena 3 and just deleted it.

Last time I did this, after reinstalling, I mysteriously went on like a 15 run rampage and couldn't lose. I swear the matchmaking in this is dodgy as anything.

hollomat

Banned
Princess is insane. It feels like I'm playing on easy mode with her. Since getting her this morning I've gone 5-0 from 2960 to 3080 and none of the games have been close. She's the perfect card for supporting my Royal giant push. If she gets arrowed, I play minion horde. If they get fire balled, I'll play barbarians.

commish

I rage uninstalled this game AGAIN this morning.

I was bobbling between arena 4 and 5 then got a few lucky games and a few good ones and was solidly in 5 for awhile....

All of a sudden, every single person im matched against is awesome, not necessarily over powered (some were) but just incredibly good at playing. Nothing I did worked, and lost a ton of games in a row as I went on tilt.

Almost down to arena 3 and just deleted it.

Last time I did this, after reinstalling, I mysteriously went on like a 15 run rampage and couldn't lose. I swear the matchmaking in this is dodgy as anything.

I know I keep saying this, but this happens to EVERYONE. I mean everyone, as in, every human being on the planet. Baseball players go on 20 game hit streaks. Basketball players will score 60 points. QBs will through 5 interceptions in a game. As long as a human being is involved, there will always be streaks of awesomeness and suckiness. For some reason, what people accept in nearly every part of life only brings rage in Clash Royale.

Agent

Adjusted my Miner deck to:
Princess
Ice Wizard
Miner
Mini PEKKA
Spear Goblins
Goblins
Zap
Cannon

This is probably the most fun deck I've ever used. It's only 2.8 Elixir average, but it is so quick in catching people off guard. I think a lot of people underestimate it given they are mainly common and low HP cards. Since everything is low elixir I can just keep cycling and dropping things, especially in double elixir time.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I know I keep saying this, but this happens to EVERYONE. I mean everyone, as in, every human being on the planet. Baseball players go on 20 game hit streaks. Basketball players will score 60 points. QBs will through 5 interceptions in a game. As long as a human being is involved, there will always be streaks of awesomeness and suckiness. For some reason, what people accept in nearly every part of life only brings rage in Clash Royale.

The difference is that Clash Royale has motherfucking irritating king face emotes.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
*opponent puts elixir tank down*

hoo boy it's on!

*opponent has three elixir tanks down*

Holy crap what is this guy planning?

*more elixir tanks*

Gah I'm going to get crushed!

*:15 seconds left in overtime, and he's still putting down elixir tanks*

...uh...

(I've literally had five matches like this today. Why won't they stop putting down tanks? They didn't even do a big push, they just had more elixir to create even more tanks. o_o)

Been using a deck based around the following since the update:

- Pump
- Witch
- Skelly Giant
- Hog
- Prince
- Dark Prince
- Archers
- Mirror

It works really well, especially when dropping double witches and adding a 3rd when it comes back around.

Also pretty versatile with multiple options for attack. Double princes, skelly / hog etc. Means you can throw different combinations to catch the opponent off guard.

Only real issue is that it's weak against air decks, however that can be countered by using a mirror/arch combo.

3 legendaries isn't common, lol. I'd be happy to get even 1.

Ditto. All i want is an ice wiz.

demigod

Princess
Ice Wizard
Miner
Mini PEKKA
Spear Goblins
Goblins
Zap
Cannon

This is probably the most fun deck I've ever used. It's only 2.8 Elixir average, but it is so quick in catching people off guard. I think a lot of people underestimate it given they are mainly common and low HP cards. Since everything is low elixir I can just keep cycling and dropping things, especially in double elixir time.

3 legendaries isn't common, lol. I'd be happy to get even 1.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
The Tesla is trash, I wish I didn't waste 400g upgrading it, luckily I didn't have the 1000 to spend. Cannon still my go-to.

dream

So a 260 trophy losing streak knocked me down to arena 5. In my first game in that arena, I pulled out my RG, and my opponent gave me three "wows!", making me feel like a useless fuck of a man. Then he proceeded to take two of my towers. I got none of his. Sigh.

yatesl

Depending on the time of day I get to almost 2000, then bounce right back down to 1700.

I'd love to see the maths behind it.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I swear the matchmaking in this is dodgy as anything.

After playing this game for the last month or so, I've seen absolutely nothing to make me think the matchmaking isn't completely straightforward.

Losing streaks should be expected given the nature of the game, especially when back to back losses make you more anxious on the next game. And humans are designed to seek patterns, even if there aren't any.

Supercell doesn't need to "screw you over" with matchmaking shenanigans to have grind and spend pressure. The game is already balanced that way through the upgrade path and trophy system.

ElyrionX

So a 260 trophy losing streak knocked me down to arena 5. In my first game in that arena, I pulled out my RG, and my opponent gave me three "wows!", making me feel like a useless fuck of a man. Then he proceeded to take two of my towers. I got none of his. Sigh.

Don't let the mind games get to you.

ElyrionX

Stopping one sparky attack should be all you need. You should never let a sparky get well supported. If you let the sparky train get rolling with a wizard and a giant and other support, then it's over. That's the same for any big tank. You can't let the train get started.

If you really are facing a lot of sparkys, consider running units with shields, like dark prince or the new guards (whatever their names are). Tombstone also works well in soaking up the hit and taking him down with the little guys that spawn after.

I actually don't think sparky is that good a card once you get up to a high enough level, especially since people are pretty predictable in how they use the card. Drop sparky behind their tower, then drop a tank right before he hits. I just keep pushing the other side so they can't support the sparky, then I drop barbs right on sparky and they take him down. I have the split barb sparky drop down to a science.

Thanks for the tips. I do notice pushing the other lane works against sparky. I don't have barbs in my deck anymore though. How do skellies fare against it?

Maximus P

And humans are designed to seek patterns, even if there aren't any.

There isn't a pattern but my luck can be atrocious at times.

My deck is a high costing deck that requires elixir pump to function and I started to notice that out of my 8 chosen cards the pump would never seem to be in my starting four cards when I was losing. So,I decided to count the matches i played today.....and.....not one match started me with the pump, out of 30+ matches.

The game hates me.

Commish, what's the spam situation at the higher levels?

In the 1500-2000 range, it seemed like 50% of decks were spam-based. In the mid 2000s, the heavy spawn-generating decks have all but dropped out of existence. Do they exist at the higher ends?

commish

In the 1500-2000 range, it seemed like 50% of decks were spam-based. In the mid 2000s, the heavy spawn-generating decks have all but dropped out of existence. Do they exist at the higher ends?

Almost none. Lots of princess and ice wizard make it hard to spam.

broz0rs

For those of you that don't use Hog Rider, when facing production decks, do you attack the lane with the buildings or the clean lane?

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Princess
Ice Wizard
Miner
Mini PEKKA
Spear Goblins
Goblins
Zap
Cannon

Yooooooo!

How much for those three legendaries?

For those of you that don't use Hog Rider, when facing production decks, do you attack the lane with the buildings or the clean lane?
I try to push against the busy lane with a tank and some AoE behind it.

yatesl

Princess
Ice Wizard
Miner
Mini PEKKA
Spear Goblins
Goblins
Zap
Cannon

"Wow!" "Wow!" "Wow!"

I play around 2500-3000 with a spawn deck. I rarely get mirror matches. Nowadays around 70% have Hog, 50% have Royalguard and the rest are just mixed. I also almost never see Prince cards.

To be honest spawn decks aren't great anymore. Very easy to get rushed by Royal Giant + something. RG + Balloon combo was probably the deadliest combo. Bombers will become way more common and eventually more people get Miners.

HoodWinked

God tier
Elixir Collector, Arrows
S tier
Zap, Cannon, Ice wizard, Royal Giant, Goblins, Hog, Miner
A tier
Spear Goblins, Barbarians, Princess, Valk, Fireball, Horde, Freeze, skeleton, mini pekka
Dumpster Tier
Giant Skeleton, Xbow, Tesla, Mortar, Tombstone, Skeleton Army, Lava hound, Furnace

every other card is B tier. the balance changes went live but wont know how good or bad these cards will be at least until people start testing it out more though i think most of the changes are fairly minor. freeze nerf may see more people playing zap.

JoeNut

Ice wizard is really easy to defend against, i don't understand why people say it's a good card? it has super low health and does low damage?

What chests specifically did people get their Legendary cards from?

Ice Wiz from free chest. I think Silver Chests have the lowest rate? Never seen anyone claim to get a leg from it.

Ice wizard is really easy to defend against, i don't understand why people say it's a good card? it has super low health and does low damage?

It's a bit like Rage/Freeze in a sense that he's more of a multiplier to anything you have. He's cheap and isn't really hard countered.

I haven't played much with new Tesla but I'm still not sold on it. I think they need to revert the ASPD nerf a bit, or at least make it so each shot kills a minion.

hollomat

Banned

The slow is what makes it amazing. If your deck is built around a tank push, it is very effective at shutting down your push while leaving the units they drop alive. Anyone dropping it to push by itself is using it wrong.

I always push the clean lane. I use Royal giant so it takes out their building from the clean lane if they play it in front of their tower. If they drop a barb hut, i may drop baby dragon to deal with the barbs.

ElyrionX

Behind a tank on the offense, he messes up your defense a lot. Solo, he can stop all kinds of big pushes on his own.

commish

There's nothing to defend against. In and of itself, the card is nothing. But as a support unit, he greatly amplifies your other cards and, additionally, allows you to get much bigger elixir advantages. Probably the best synergy card in the game and can fit into every deck.

Dazzler

If my opponent drops a defensive building with their first move I'll spam the wow emote

It's such an infuriating move

I'll literally sit there and let their defensive building expire without making a move

Top Bottom