• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Just starting to run a Royal Giant with mixed results. What goes well with the RG?

Anything really. Just be prepared for the most common counters - dropped barbs on the RG, a cannon + small unit (e.g., mini pekka), minion horde, etc. I back my RG up with a wizard or goblins.

ultron87

It feels like 3/4 decks in 2000-2500 are based entirely on hog rider + goblins + zap to chip out your towers. I'm really sick of playing against it.

Maximus P

It feels like 3/4 decks in 2000-2500 are based entirely on hog rider + goblins + zap to chip out your towers. I'm really sick of playing against it.

I think Neogaf elite are getting fed up with me ranting about this...lol

I like to change between 2 decks now. My Sparky/Elixir pump combo and what i call my Anti-Hog deck. Cannon,Zap, Goblins,Spears etc

28 of my last 30 matches have been hog cycle decks.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry about this GAF...

What's a decent HOG deck? I have every arena 4 card and below.

Hog
Zap
Cannon
Mini Pekka
Goblins
Spear Goblins
Fireball
Skeletons

Gets the job done for me, and only 2.8 average elixir. Oh wait shit, zap is Arena 5, I forgot.

H1PSTER

Hog
Zap
Cannon
Mini Pekka
Goblins
Spear Goblins
Fireball
Skeletons

Gets the job done for me, and only 2.8 average elixir. Oh wait shit, zap is Arena 5, I forgot.

Edit: turns out I have Zap.

Also this just happened...

UQA2v13.jpg

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Zap > Arrows or Lightening?

Also this just happened...

Zap allows the Hog to get an extra attack or two on a tower and only costs 2 elixir. Lightning is awful unless you're facing a Hut deck, but still costs too much. Arrow is good for dealing with Minions but Zap will make them weak enough where they can't do anything.

broz0rs

I play in the 2500-2800 range and I think the honeymoon with RG seem to be over, and most players are going back to Hogrider. RG is very strong, but Hogrider is just an easier and more versatile card to play because it costs just 4 elixir, allowing you to attack further or defend if there's a strong counter. The game is becoming dull to me as a result. I'd love to play against diverse decks, even if that means losing because of the surprise factor.

commish

Zap allows the Hog to get an extra attack or two on a tower and only costs 2 elixir. Lightning is awful unless you're facing a Hut deck, but still costs too much. Arrow is good for dealing with Minions but Zap will make them weak enough where they can't do anything.

I still maintain that spending 2 elixir for that extra swing is not worth it most times. The biggest downside to hog rider is that he doesn't attack anything, so your opponent automatically gets an elixir advantage on the counter attack. Giving them 2 more elixir advantage is pretty big imo.

I just had a match 10 seconds ago where my opponent came with hog + goblins, then zapped the barbs I put down in defense. That's 8 mana spent to my 5, and he only did 300 damage because he died before he got that second swing in. On my counter attack I added a prince and 3 goblins to my surviving barbs, and he could only defend with an ice wizard and goblins. Down goes his tower.

I play in the 2500-2800 range and I think the honeymoon with RG seem to be over, and most players are going back to Hogrider. RG is very strong, but Hogrider is just an easier and more versatile card to play because it costs just 4 elixir, allowing you to attack further or defend if there's a strong counter. The game is becoming dull to me as a result. I'd love to play against diverse decks, even if that means losing because of the surprise factor.

I think RG is far superior to hog rider. Hog rider is easier to stop for an elixir advantage. It's really hard to stop the RG from doing tower damage, especially when one tower is already down.

djp6

I think Neogaf elite are getting fed up with me ranting about this...lol

I like to change between 2 decks now. My Sparky/Elixir pump combo and what i call my Anti-Hog deck. Cannon,Zap, Goblins,Spears etc

28 of my last 30 matches have been hog cycle decks.

yes we are hog rider for life

hollomat

Banned

I disagree. I'm around 3100 and use RG. I like it much more than hog because it will do tower damage 9 times out of 10 and provides support for my units behind it. I'm having a much easier time countering hog now that there's no freeze and I don't even run cannon or inferno tower.

I'd say my opponents are probably 50% Hog, 40% RG, 10% something else.

Agent

Zap has been in my deck for awhile now. It can have some great value depending on the situation, both offensively and defensively. It's definitely best paired with another troop that can finish off zapped enemies quickly. I had a game this morning that was a great example of that. A player used Sparky and Royal Giant. He had 2 Sparkys and a RG barreling down the lane. A few Zaps and Cannon + support troops meant he did almost no damage to my tower.

I was able to get Zap to level 12 the other day so it can one shot a level 1 Princess and most Minions. The cry emote usage against me has gone up ten-fold since that point.

Chief pat ( I think) made a good deck around it.

Lavahound
Baby Dragon
Musketeer
Minions
Barbarians
Arrows
Firespirit
Spear goblins

The gimmick of it is that you send the hound and then the dragon behind it, making sure the hound gets all the agro and when he blows up if he/she put out any defense against they'll target the dragon and ignore the pups. Even the tower targets the dragon.

Right now I'm using that exact deck only that I switched the dragon for the goblin barrel to test it a little.

Edit: it wasn't pat, it was a deck I found online. I just remembered
Just started using this deck and I'm seeing some good success.

Besaide

Just started playing over the weekend and having a blast so far. Question, do swarm decks remain effective as I rank up or should I start preparing to switch over to something else?

Current deck:
Goblins
Spear Goblins
Goblin Barrel
Goblin Hut
Archers
Bomber
Giant
Prince

*would probably switch out bomber for skeleton army or witch if/when I get them

Playing in the Legendary 3200-3500 range (as a lvl9), it's actually quite terrifying to run into lvl8s, moreso than lvl10s/11s.

12s might plow through your towers via high leveled cards, but they don't play very well.
The lvl8s use highly specialized decks and are far more skilled.

Lvl9s/10s are all over the place in terms of skill levels/deck levels.

This game is absolutely infuriating at times. I think I'm about done. Always getting paired with super high levels, get worked. You are really good with your stupid high level baby dragon and flying minion swarm! Woohoo.

And there is nothing you can do or say. There needs to be, "way to go higher level!". Or something where I can tell them how much I despise them. Or like a button that starts a small fire inside their home somewhere.

Thats all. Woo.

TheExodu5

Banned
Playing in the Legendary 3200-3500 range (as a lvl9), it's actually quite terrifying to run into lvl8s, moreso than lvl10s/11s.

12s might plow through your towers via high leveled cards, but they don't play very well.
The lvl8s use highly specialized decks and are far more skilled.

Lvl9s/10s are all over the place in terms of skill levels/deck levels.

Whenever I see someone using skeletons I fear a loss.

Screw this game

Arena 4-5 is full of terriblle players with high lvl cards...I can outplay some of them...but ffs I need 3 more weeks before being at a decent lvl...right now its a joke facing lvl 8 tower when im 5

DrkSage

I said it a hundred times, and I'll say it a thousand times over. Fuck. The. Hog. Rider.

I fucking hope that for the next update they either up his elixir cost to 5 or tune down his attack speed+damage

ultron87

I understand their predicament. The core design of the game, where defense has a huge advantage, makes nerfing the primary fast attacker a very risky proposition. If they go too far the meta could easily collapse into a control game where everyone plays defensive decks and games are all ties or 0-1 grind fests. Balloons fit a similar role but are too fragile for their cost compared to the hog. The other main attacking option, a big push behind a tank, is immensely hampered by the ability to distract it and slow it down with significantly cheaper units/buildings and also hurt by getting blown up by the aoe spells. So that just feels way less effective, even though it feels more "honest".

I'm not really sure what they do, but if the desired meta is 70 percent hogs (or 70 percent of any one deck) I don't think I'll be playing much longer.

I said it a hundred times, and I'll say it a thousand times over. Fuck. The. Hog. Rider.

I fucking hope that for the next update they either up his elixir cost to 5 or tune down his attack speed+damage

Yea. If you're not careful, you can get fucked very quickly by him.

JoeNut

Not really sure I understand the hate for hog riders, I very rarely lose to them. Just put a cannon in the middle and your towers do the rest...if they use freeze then follow up with something like gobs or skeletons.

Maximus P

Not really sure I understand the hate for hog riders, I very rarely lose to them. Just put a cannon in the middle and your towers do the rest...if they use freeze then follow up with something like gobs or skeletons.

The problem, is that there are very few counters to hogfreeze/hogzapp. Even if you do carry those counters there's a good chance that your opponent is running a hog cycle deck and will have another hog running at you before your counters are ready for the second time.

Ive found that the best counter is to have fast counter attacking troops which devestate them on the counter.

This is a common scenario-

They play hog

I play prince

They freeze/zapp prince

I play dark prince

I take 500 damage

Both my princes clean up and run at them and they have around 3 elixir to counter quick.

I take their tower or at least 1500 damage.

My double prince deck eats hogs.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
The problem, is that there are very few counters to hogfreeze/hogzapp. Even if you do carry those counters there's a good chance that your opponent is running a hog cycle deck and will have another hog running at you before your counters are ready for the second time.

Ive found that the best counter is to have fast counter attacking troops which devestate them on the counter.

This is a common scenario-

They play hog

I play prince

They freeze/zapp prince

I play dark prince

I take 500 damage

Both my princes clean up and run at them and they have around 3 elixir to counter quick.

I take their tower or at least 1500 damage.

My double prince deck eats hogs.

My deck is knight, giant, spear goblins, minions, valkyrie, muskateer, arrows, fireball.

To counter a hog, I usually drop the knight, valkyrie, or muskateer, wait a second for the freeze or zap, then drop spear goblins or minions. That then sets up a couple of troops for a counterpush led by a giant. The hog rider will get in a couple of hits that way, but I'll usually get back some damage and a lot of the time MORE damage on the opposite tower on that defensive "investment".

If I end up desperate, I can always use fireball.

If my tower is in the low hundreds, I'll usually concede the tower to the hog and push on the opposite lane instead, dropping some lower value troop like the knight, minions, or spear goblins to take out the hog by the time it gets to the main tower.

Overall, I don't really find hogs problematic, even without a cannon. In my experience, a lot of the time hog decks are built solely around hog as the offensive strategy so if you can limit the damage per hog run it neuters their options quick. I actually have more issues with hut decks.

One hog strategy that's harder with the above approach though is a hog/minion horde/rage combo. Pretty hard to take out the horde and the hog fast enough not to have taken a lot of damage. If I don't have arrows in my hand when that combo appears, I can lose a tower easy.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

Yo whichever one of the dudes in the clan suggested putting mini pekka in my deck over baby dragon, thanks for that. He's such good defense against hog (giant too) which I see so much of in arena 5. I'm sure I'll jinx myself saying it, but I have been firmly in arena 5 for days now without even coming close to dipping down to 4 with the balloon/freeze deck.

I hate Hog Rider because he essentially demands a Cannon in your deck. It's the biggest reason why Cannon usage is way up there. It's the only reasom why all my decks carry a Cannon.

For a 4 Elixir card, there's no other good way to reliably counter a Hog. For the great majority of other cards there are multiple ways to deal wih them that costs the same or less. Aside from Cannons, Hogs don't.

It doesn't help that Hog cycle is usually the method used nowadays. Usually Hog plus Zap plus something cheap (eg Goblins or Skeletons).

djp6

I hate Hog Rider because he essentially demands a Cannon in your deck. It's the biggest reason why Cannon usage is way up there. It's the only reasom why all my decks carry a Cannon.

For a 4 Elixir card, there's no other good way to reliably counter a Hog. For the great majority of other cards there are multiple ways to deal wih them that costs the same or less. Aside from Cannons, Hogs don't.

It doesn't help that Hog cycle is usually the method used nowadays. Usually Hog plus Zap plus something cheap (eg Goblins or Skeletons).

its okay to take some tower damage you can use barbs to take out hog then push canons are not the only way to take out the hog rider

JoeNut

my new deck is killing it

Sparky
Royal giant
Pump
baby dragon
barbs
fire spirits
mirror
spear goblins

I am completely steam rolling 90% of the people in front of me right now, i've lost a couple from being too cocky with it. i can basically not defend and beat people comfortably at the 2000 - 2200 area

i drop the pump, mirror it, RG goes down, sparky behind it, baby dragon follows, then mirror the dragon, the 2 dragons take down any small units dropped for the sparky, while the RG pummels the tower and the Sparky destroys any bigger HP units dropped to defend.

zoukka

Barbs counter Hog so that it gets max 1 hit in your towers. Mini-Pekka does the same. Cannon/Tesla completely negate it for 3-4 cost.

The hog is fine.

Maximus P

Hog can't get nerfed, it already can't get a single hit in when you drop barbs.

Barbs is a higher elixir exchange. Not the greatest counter due to barbs being easily countered by a ton of other stuff too when played alone..

I dont want hog nerfed becuase its too powerful, i want it nerfed becuase 90% of the people i play have a deck centered around it.

Hog freeze
Hog zapp
Ultra defence hog
Hog cycle
Hog mirror

It would be nice to have more variaty in the 2000 to 2800 trophy range.

Agent

I understand the dislike for the Hog Rider, but for me, the Royal Giant is way more obnoxious to deal with. Even with a 4% damage reduction it shows up very commonly, especially in the 3300 - 3600 range. The amount of health it has and damage it can do, fairly quickly, is annoying to deal with.

I still run into Hog Riders, but they are easy to deal with using the Cannon. Granted, my deck cost is 2.8 on average, so I can cycle Cannon over and over to deal with it. Most opponents can't get it to the tower unless they really catch me off guard.

Even with the HP reduction, cannon is still very useful for Hog Rider. It isn't just good for Hog Rider since you can really just kite any mobs anywhere on the map for low elixir. I've been seeing more Balloon/Lava Hound, and cannon basically is the key to getting them down fairly quickly by distracting them all around the map.

Royal Giant is whack because you can't ever stop it from getting a couple shots off. You can stop a hog from getting a shot off with a canon. The Royal Giant will get at least 2 or 3 shots off even if you play perfect defense.

I think increasing the Royal Giants drop timer a second or two will even it out a little bit.

Matush

Royal Giant is whack because you can't ever stop it from getting a couple shots off. You can stop a hog from getting a shot off with a canon. The Royal Giant will get at least 2 or 3 shots off even if you play perfect defense.

I think increasing the Royal Giants drop timer a second or two will even it out a little bit.
I can easily kill RG (mostly LVL9) without him taking any tower demage.

He drops RG, I drop Canon, RG shoots Canon, I drop Barbs+Minions on him, not a single shot to my Tower.

commish

2 or 3 shots, sure, but at a cost of 6 elixir. That's huge.

I can easily kill RG (mostly LVL9) without him taking any tower demage.

He drops RG, I drop Canon, RG shoots Canon, I drop Barbs+Minions on him, not a single shot to my Tower.

"Easily" is subjective, but I don't think spending 10 mana to stop a 6 mana card qualifies as "easily" :p

commish

That's why I have Elixir Pump down, sure, you will spend a lot more, but it depends if you are willing to take a hit or not.

Always take the hits. Use your tower's HP as another resource to spend. I'd gladly take 2 or 3 hits if it means I can counter with a bigger elixir advantage. For example, if there's a dark prince charging your tower, it is MUCH better to drop barbs on him AFTER he's taken a swing at your tower rather than before. Your counter push will be that much stronger. When I watch lower level matches, this is a mistake I see so often, people trying to prevent ALL damage to a tower.

Dazzler

I've swapped a Baby Dragon in for Wizard and it seems to have made a positive difference to my deck

I was too easily countered by bomb tower and barbs

Previous deck was

Arrows
Giant
Valkyrie
Ice Wizard
Musketeer
Wizard
Cannon
Minions

New Deck

Arrows
Royal Giant (once it's levelled up)
Minions
Ice Wizard
Valkyrie
Musketeer
Baby Dragon
Cannon

spyder_ur

Always take the hits. Use your tower's HP as another resource to spend. I'd gladly take 2 or 3 hits if it means I can counter with a bigger elixir advantage. For example, if there's a dark prince charging your tower, it is MUCH better to drop barbs on him AFTER he's taken a swing at your tower rather than before. Your counter push will be that much stronger. When I watch lower level matches, this is a mistake I see so often, people trying to prevent ALL damage to a tower.

I take your point, but perhaps not the best example - don't dark princes have the running charge? But yeah - I'll take a hog swing at my tower or two instead of zapping or dropping gobs, depending on the situation.

Another similar tip is to take the hit from princess so she gets in range, rather than let her get shots at your troops running up.

I don't find barbs very good offensively anyways - too many counters if they are coming from far.

djp6

I take your point, but perhaps not the best example - don't dark princes have the running charge? But yeah - I'll take a hog swing at my tower or two instead of zapping or dropping gobs, depending on the situation.

Another similar tip is to take the hit from princess so she gets in range, rather than let her get shots at your troops running up.

I don't find barbs very good offensively anyways - too many counters if they are coming from far.
Dark prince also has splash damage so if you place the barbs in correctly they and the tower would both receive the charged damage so better the tower than the tower plus barbs

spyder_ur

Dark prince also has splash damage so if you place the barbs in correctly they and the tower would both receive the charged damage so better the tower than the tower plus barbs

Here I am at ~3300 crowns and I didn't even know that. I don't see dark prince all that much, but I tend to put goblins in front of him so I'll watch that from now on.

The game is way less fun past 3000. My favorite thing to do right now is demolish sparky decks. I can feel people seething when I split it with goblins (not even barbs just basic goblins) and it goes down like nothing.

Miner is the f'ing worst. I actually have decent counters cuz I carry both types of goblins and zap, but he is so annoying. I don't have him yet - how much does he cost?

Barbs counter Hog so that it gets max 1 hit in your towers. Mini-Pekka does the same. Cannon/Tesla completely negate it for 3-4 cost.

The hog is fine.

You can Zap and get way more than 1 hit, even more if you also send another cheap unit like Skeleton or Goblin. There aren't any 4 Elixir card or cheaper card that demand that you have very few specific cards ready as much as a Hog does. Maybe Princess / Miner but they're not as accessible.

There's nothing fine about Hogs if it's probably the most used card on the game and always among the top since beta.

commish

No, dark prince's charge is exactly why you want to let it get a hit in. If you don't, it'll solo your barbs by itself because of the aoe charge smash. DP's don't hit for much. Now, a prince, on the other hand, will destroy your tower in a few seconds if you let him go. Stop that mofo immediately.

The game is way less fun past 3000. My favorite thing to do right now is demolish sparky decks. I can feel people seething when I split it with goblins (not even barbs just basic goblins) and it goes down like nothing.

Miner is the f'ing worst. I actually have decent counters cuz I carry both types of goblins and zap, but he is so annoying. I don't have him yet - how much does he cost?

There's not a lot of variance in decks past 3000 I found. Hog or RG - that's 95% of decks. I got wrecked today by someone who did balloon + Pekka. It was a nice deck that I couldn't answer.

I hate miner. My only answer are my goblins, but I use those ALL THE TIME. When my opponent has a miner it really messes up my rhythm.

TheExodu5

Banned
Oh my god. I just drunk purchased $140 CDN worth of gems. I'm trying to get them refunded. Let's see what Apple Support does.

edit: I told them my nephew made the purchase. They gave me a refund. Thank fucking christ.

I need to put in some measures to ensure I don't do this again. Wow.

ST2K

Well, I'm in Arena 7 at Level 7. Judging off the Neogaf Elite ranking, I'm seriously out of my league and I should be knocked down sometime soon. Hope I can get some cool cards before I go though!

Top Bottom