• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

I don't understand the levels (player level) as a judge for whether someone is over powered or opposite. Because your level goes up as you donate or level up any card from the 50 or so you may have.

So you can be a level 6 with a deck worthy of legendary, arena, or player level 8 or 9 with a shit deck because of all those other cards you don't use. It really just depends if you spent the whole game concentrating on just a few cards, or kept trying different things.

I look at some YouTube stuff on low leveled players kicking ass in high arenas and they have level 8 or 9
commons and level 6 epics and a legendary. But their player level is 6.. Because they clearly cultivated a small number of cards only.

JoeNut

Well, I'm in Arena 7 at Level 7. Judging off the Neogaf Elite ranking, I'm seriously out of my league and I should be knocked down sometime soon. Hope I can get some cool cards before I go though!
Nice job man, before they made the balances that was how I got my RG. Then when I dropped down I just requested it every single time

Ninja Dom

I don't understand the levels (player level) as a judge for whether someone is over powered or opposite. Because your level goes up as you donate or level up any card from the 50 or so you may have.

So you can be a level 6 with a deck worthy of legendary, arena, or player level 8 or 9 with a shit deck because of all those other cards you don't use. It really just depends if you spent the whole game concentrating on just a few cards, or kept trying different things.

I look at some YouTube stuff on low leveled players kicking ass in high arenas and they have level 8 or 9
commons and level 6 epics and a legendary. But their player level is 6.. Because they clearly cultivated a small number of cards only.

You're exactly right. The player level is not a true reflection of skill. Well...maybe, because all of the Level 13 players I've seen in TV Royale are all in the Legendary Arena and are badass players.

Yep I imagine to get up there, money or not, you have to play so many matches skills are impossible to avoid.

It would be nice in the profile if it said how many total matches played and how much money had been spent :)

zoukka

LOL I played a dude who had maxed out (lvl12) commons. His Zap actually one shotted my Minions, Princess and both goblins.

Was a short match. (my cards are lvl 9 max)

hollomat

Banned
Finally got a super magical chest just from playing. I've been tracking my chests and it was supposed to be a magical chest. My next chest was a silver chest so it seems like the super magical replaced the magical in the chest order.

From reading Reddit, I thought that if you get a super magical chest it doesn't replace the chest you were about to get, you'd just get that chest next. Doesn't look to be that way though.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Finally got a super magical chest just from playing. I've been tracking my chests and it was supposed to be a magical chest. My next chest was a silver chest so it seems like the super magical replaced the magical in the chest order.

From reading Reddit, I thought that if you get a super magical chest it doesn't replace the chest you were about to get, you'd just get that chest next. Doesn't look to be that way though.

It shouldn't replace it. Perhaps you just had your counts wrong.

hollomat

Banned
It shouldn't replace it. Perhaps you just had your counts wrong.

Maybe. I'm full on chests now since I'm opening the super magical, but tomorrow I'll know once I get new chests. I'm using an app to track it and it's been 100% accurate so far but maybe I was off by one chest.

There's a Super Magical chest in the schedule? How many wins do you need to get that? I thought it was purely a random drop.

It's not in the schedule, it was a random drop. What I'm saying is I think it replaced my magical chest in the schedule (i.e. Instead of getting the magical I got the super magical due to luck). But I may just have been off in my count on the schedule and I'll know tomorrow if I get a magical chest as one of my next chests.

GAF (#QYYQCQ) is at 41/50 for anyone who wants to join. We're at 23,800 trophies and 7,400 donations so far this week so we're very active.

broz0rs

There's a Super Magical chest in the schedule? How many wins do you need to get that? I thought it was purely a random drop.

djp6

No super magical in the rotation only magical and giant chests, the super magical is random and can replace any chest in the cycle the is apparently a 0.02% chance of this happening though so its super rare

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Ran into my first Sparky, seemed easy enough to counter.

Immediately spammed my troops on the opposite lane as soon as he dropped it and took a tower. Then when it got near the bridge I just used Goblins and Skeletons to take it out, thanks to you guys mentioning splitting troops over top of it.

This is the sixth or seventh time that I have gone on a skid *IMMEDIATELY* after upgrading one of my cards. Meaning: upgrade the card, then immediately go on the 8-10 game losing streak. Outside of the upgrades, I rarely go on such long streaks. Notably, every single one of these losses has come to an identical kind of deck that I'm weak against.

Yes, yes, I'm a conspiracy theorist. Whatever. I'd bet the farm that the matchmaking is more than meets the eye.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
This is the sixth or seventh time that I have gone on a skid *IMMEDIATELY* after upgrading one of my cards. Meaning: upgrade the card, then immediately go on the 8-10 game losing streak. Outside of the upgrades, I rarely go on such long streaks. Notably, every single one of these losses has come to an identical kind of deck that I'm weak against.

Yes, yes, I'm a conspiracy theorist. Whatever. I'd bet the farm that the matchmaking is more than meets the eye.

I don't think I've ever had that happen. Typically after an upgrade, my win rate improves. And I don't think I have ever lost 8 games (or even 6 games in a row).

I continue to believe that matchmaking in the game is actually very straightforward, and predominantly focused on your trophy score, and that cited anecdotal evidence to the contrary results from a combination of false pattern matching and confirmation bias. Not to mention if you believe that the game has it in for you every time you upgrade a card, then you are psychologically putting yourself at a disadvantage and creating a self fulfilling prophecy. It doesn't need to be anything other than straightforward because the game is balanced in such a way and with a likelihood of "natural" losing streaks that there is always pressure for you to monetize anyway. It doesn't even need to mess with you on top of that.

We have pretty much exactly the same straightforward sort of matchmaking in our card based mobile games at our studio, and it creates exactly the behaviours we expect and desire.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

You know what's funny, I've been running a low cost Hog+Zap deck for so long, and lately I've been running into Inferno Tower decks, or hut decks, which give me problems.

I switched up my deck completely to use my Miner, and I stopped running into those decks. I run into decks I would steamroll with my Hog, but counter my Miner well, so I switch back and again I get hut decks.

Probably just blind luck, but it's really amazing how coincidental it is.

I don't think I've ever had that happen. Typically after an upgrade, my win rate improves. And I don't think I have ever lost 8 games (or even 6 games in a row).

I continue to believe that matchmaking in the game is actually very straightforward, and predominantly focused on your trophy score, and that cited anecdotal evidence to the contrary results from a combination of false pattern matching and confirmation bias. Not to mention if you believe that the game has it in for you every time you upgrade a card, then you are psychologically putting yourself at a disadvantage and creating a self fulfilling prophecy. It doesn't need to be anything other than straightforward because the game is balanced in such a way and with a likelihood of "natural" losing streaks that there is always pressure for you to monetize anyway. It doesn't even need to mess with you on top of that.

We have pretty much exactly the same straightforward sort of matchmaking in our card based mobile games at our studio, and it creates exactly the behaviours we expect and desire.

Of course, I have no real idea. I can't (and we can't) see behind the curtain, so I'll I've got to go on is the anecdata. The anecdata says to me that there's something more than strict elo-based matchmaking going on. Of course, it goes without saying, this is terrible inductive reasoning from an insufficient inductive base. So, no, I wouldn't actually bet the farm in real life. I'm just stating my strong suspicion.

I don't understand, though, how you could be so sure that there's no reason for a develop to tilt things. Sure, natural streaking and balanced gameplay will lead to lots of purchasing from players. But if a team's research indicates that hidden, non-elo matchmaking elements *further* increase purchasing, then they'd have every incentive to go that route. And what you're saying here definitely isn't proof that they've done no such research, have no such data, and have no such incentives. Maybe they do, maybe they don't.

Always take the hits. Use your tower's HP as another resource to spend. I'd gladly take 2 or 3 hits if it means I can counter with a bigger elixir advantage. For example, if there's a dark prince charging your tower, it is MUCH better to drop barbs on him AFTER he's taken a swing at your tower rather than before. Your counter push will be that much stronger. When I watch lower level matches, this is a mistake I see so often, people trying to prevent ALL damage to a tower.

I think this is one of the biggest lessons I've learned as I am at 2900s right now. Elixir advantages are so pivotal and can really make or break most matches. I'll gladly take certain amounts of damage to a tower if I can make a smart counterpush, where previously I would try to defend against my tower getting touched at all.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Of course, I have no real idea. I can't (and we can't) see behind the curtain, so I'll I've got to go on is the anecdata. The anecdata says to me that there's something more than strict elo-based matchmaking going on. Of course, it goes without saying, this is terrible inductive reasoning from an insufficient inductive base. So, no, I wouldn't actually bet the farm in real life. I'm just stating my strong suspicion.

I think if you became more scientific about it, and tracked the data religiously, you'd probably see no actual bias there or at least less bias than you assert. As a counterpoint to your experience, my anecdata presents a complete contrary case to yours.

My suggestion in the case of anybody finding themselves on a losing streak of 3-4 games is to go away from the game for a couple of hours, then come back to it fresh later. In my own experience, the pressure to break a streak in the moment is strong enough to make impetuous and riskier battlefield decisions which often lead to mistakes, whereas success in the game generally lends itself to a more measured and surgical approach. So take time out to relax.

I don't understand, though, how you could be so sure that there's no reason for a develop to tilt things. Sure, natural streaking and balanced gameplay will lead to lots of purchasing from players. But if a team's research indicates that hidden, non-elo matchmaking elements *further* increase purchasing, then they'd have every incentive to go that route. And what you're saying here definitely isn't proof that they've done no such research, have no such data, and have no such incentives. Maybe they do, maybe they don't.

I didn't put forward my opinion as definitive proof of anything. I merely am responding to your own assertion that in my professional opinion, supported by my experience as a player, the design of the game wouldn't necessarily benefit from matchmaking shenanigans.

Something else to bear in mind is that games shouldn't be tuned ever increasingly towards increasing purchases in isolation. Doing so generally decreases retention for example, so trying to trigger more purchases is going to negatively impact other metrics. Supercell needs to care about people loving the game and spending a long time playing it as well as extracting money from players.

I concede there could be. But I don't believe there are, and I'd estimate such shenanigans would have a negligible impact on the back of what I consider to be an already incredibly well balanced game.

I think if you became more scientific about it, and tracked the data religiously, you'd probably see no actual bias there or at least less bias than you assert. As a counterpoint to your experience, my anecdata presents a complete contrary case to yours.

My suggestion in the case of anybody finding themselves on a losing streak of 3-4 games is to go away from the game for a couple of hours, then come back to it fresh later. In my own experience, the pressure to break a streak in the moment is strong enough to make impetuous and riskier battlefield decisions which often lead to mistakes, whereas success in the game generally lends itself to a more measured and surgical approach. So take time out to relax.

FWIW, I've had my post-upgrade streaks of 6-10 losses endure through multiple sittings and hours of downtime. Again, that obviously means nothing, statistically. I'm not pretending to have a supported quantitative case. I'm just saying that as someone who has played lots of ladder-ranked games in the last 20 years, this one feels different than some (most?). I readily admit that that's grain-of-salt stuff. But there you go.

I'd love to read an interview with the developers about their matchmaking.

UFO

Banned
FWIW, I've had my post-upgrade streaks of 6-10 losses endure through multiple sittings and hours of downtime. Again, that obviously means nothing, statistically. I'm not pretending to have a supported quantitative case. I'm just saying that as someone who has played lots of ladder-ranked games in the last 20 years, this one feels different than some (most?). I readily admit that that's grain-of-salt stuff. But there you go.

I'd love to read an interview with the developers about their matchmaking.

I always feel like the longer I've been running the same deck the more I see counters to my cards. So I always switch it up to counter the counters and that works for a few games.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Somewhere along the line I got really bad at this game. I've only been as high as arena 5 and I'm level 8. I saw a level 5 dude in one of my games yesterday (he beat me). I hate that I play a deck that's so easily countered by ubiquitous minions, mini hordes, ANY anti air units. Some decks I have zero chance to win against and even the ones that I do required precision baiting and freeze/arrow usage in order to get my balloon thru.

I do still win a little more than 50% of my games because I've been able to slowly climb my way up, but I can't help but feel like I'd be rising a lot faster if I used a different deck. I tried using a hog cycle deck for yucks last week and dropped so many trophies I was stuck in arena 4 forever.

I have a level 2 giant skelly, thinking about building a deck around him. That sounds reliable.

Maximus P

I actually think the match making is fixed somehow. I didnt at first, but the lose streaks followed by win streaks happen so often and to so many people that its hard to ignore.

Ive decided to quit the game for a while now and ive unistalled. I may come back. The last 4 games i played on my account were crownless draws in which my opponents played infernos,bomb towers and cannons while shooting all my troops with arrows and fireballs while spamming laughing kings. I didnt see the point and had a think about it and decided i wasnt having fun anymore,far Too may asshats with means to be asshats. The final straw was playing a level 9 on my sons account. (level 4 arena 3)

Hopefully Supercell add a mute option,and nerf the Hog and RG to increase variaty. Maybe then i'll come back.

Matush

Somewhere along the line I got really bad at this game. I've only been as high as arena 5 and I'm level 8. I saw a level 5 dude in one of my games yesterday (he beat me). I hate that I play a deck that's so easily countered by ubiquitous minions, mini hordes, ANY anti air units. Some decks I have zero chance to win against and even the ones that I do required precision baiting and freeze/arrow usage in order to get my balloon thru.

I do still win a little more than 50% of my games because I've been able to slowly climb my way up, but I can't help but feel like I'd be rising a lot faster if I used a different deck. I tried using a hog cycle deck for yucks last week and dropped so many trophies I was stuck in arena 4 forever.

I have a level 2 giant skelly, thinking about building a deck around him. That sounds reliable.
There is no way that lvl8 should be this low. Post your deck, Im sure we can help you out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How does it figure out how many points you win/lose? I just lost back to back matches 0-1 (-39 points) and 1-3 (-38 points)

Also I was so close to arena 7 and then 3 losses in a row. Argh

djp6

How does it figure out how many points you win/lose? I just lost back to back matches 0-1 (-39 points) and 1-3 (-38 points)

Also I was so close to arena 7 and then 3 losses in a row. Argh

its the difference between your current trophies,the higher it is the more you lose but if its equal its 30 trophies don't have the exact formula at hand though

Sorry Gaf Elite...I loved being there...but I was not able to donate:( my donaitons was around 100... I received all my cards too fast:( People are too generous haha!!

I switched to a friend clan...I got 550 donations this week (More golds as people are less talented ) and ive got more golds! I also improved my gameplay.

Currently hovering between Arena 5 and 6 with this deck:

Mini-P lvl 5
Valk: lvl 4
Arrows lvl 6
Gob lvl 6
Canon lvl 6
Hog lvl 4
Musketeer lvl 4
Minion lvl 6 or Baby Drag lvl 1...

My tower is LVL 6...LVL 7 Soon

I start the game by sending a Hog Alone..( I see his defense vs them and adjust gameplan after)

I mainly destroy tower with push on mini-pekka or valk with my goblins...After I defended his charge

I am not ready for Arena 6 and my main goal is to stay in Arena 5 for the next 10 days....

with Zap-Wizard and Fire Spirits available...any changes I could make in my deck? What should I improved and ask?

I won't change Mini-P and Stab Gob.

3rd time I have rage-uninstalled this game and third time it has immediately sent me on a winning streak against players that I beat easily.

I am seriously considering un-installing it once every 2/3 days to see if I can chain the win streaks....

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
There is no way that lvl8 should be this low. Post your deck, Im sure we can help you out.

arrows
archer
minion
mini pekka
wizard
barb
freeze
balloon

I'm not sure if it's so much that I'm not high enough arena for my level as it is I've just donated so much that I'm leveling up more than I'm progressing. I don't have too much trouble winning and go on streaks both ways like most people.

hollomat

Banned
arrows
archer
minion
mini pekka
wizard
barb
freeze
balloon

I'm not sure if it's so much that I'm not high enough arena for my level as it is I've just donated so much that I'm leveling up more than I'm progressing. I don't have too much trouble winning and go on streaks both ways like most people.

What are the levels for the cards? It's definitely a weird deck and your win condition seems to be built around freeze/balloon. Do you often win this way or does it seem to be countered regularly?

I'd swap out balloon freeze for giant/cannon and mini pekka for spear goblins. Try to push with the giant and build up units behind him. Counter hog with the cannon.

Dazzler

Played a guy earlier who mirrored his Hog, so I'd defend one easily, then the 2nd would come charging at me

Caught me out nicely

LiQuid!

What are the levels for the cards? It's definitely a weird deck and your win condition seems to be built around freeze/balloon. Do you often win this way or does it seem to be countered regularly?

I'd swap out balloon freeze for giant/cannon and mini pekka for spear goblins. Try to push with the giant and build up units behind him. Counter hog with the cannon.

Balloon/freeze is the main way I win (it's a level 3 balloon so it's 3 hits to kill a level 8 tower) but I can build a push behind barbarians too, so I've taken a tower with just some ground units and a freeze occasionally too. All of the commons are level 8, the rares are 5, freeze is 2.

The only thing that really counters is spawner decks, which I pretty much play for the draw, and decks that run both minions and minion hordes and/or a lot of cheap anti-air like spear gobs and archers. Even those I can sneak wins occasionally by baiting horde drops and timing an arrow play to take them out before they can melt my balloon.

I ran a giant focused deck before I leveled up my balloon and it was sooo hit or miss. It was the original deck I dropped 300 trophies with after clawing my way to arena 5 in the first place.

djp6

Balloon/freeze is the main way I win (it's a level 3 balloon so it's 3 hits to kill a level 8 tower) but I can build a push behind barbarians too, so I've taken a tower with just some ground units and a freeze occasionally too. All of the commons are level 8, the rares are 5, freeze is 2.

The only thing that really counters is spawner decks, which I pretty much play for the draw, and decks that run both minions and minion hordes and/or a lot of cheap anti-air like spear gobs and archers. Even those I can sneak wins occasionally by baiting horde drops and timing an arrow play to take them out before they can melt my balloon.

I ran a giant focused deck before I leveled up my balloon and it was sooo hit or miss. It was the original deck I dropped 300 trophies with after clawing my way to arena 5 in the first place.
If you hace rage you can try ballon rage rather, drop the rage as soon as ballon is on the bridge speeds the ballon up and it attacks faster

hollomat

Banned

In that case, do you have baby dragon? He could be good to play with your deck cause their anti air will focus on him while the balloon goes through.

LiQuid!

Ya I had a baby dragon in there but I took him out and switched him for the mini pekka since I needed better defense against hog and giants which I see basically every game.

Matush

Ya I had a baby dragon in there but I took him out and switched him for the mini pekka since I needed better defense against hog and giants which I see basically every game.
Barbs and MP serves mostly for one reason, defense, you can stop giant, hog, or pretty much every tank with barbs, so I dont really see a point in having two units that do the same thing. I would switch pekka for canon to stop hog, or any higher HP unit for that matter, it only cost 3 elixir and is a great counter.

Also I just hit Legendary arena with super basic Common/Rare deck:

Elix Collector lvl 6
Royal G lvl 9
Fireball lvl 6
Zap lvl 9
Spear Gobs lvl 9
Minions lvl 9
Canon lvl 9
Barbs lvl 9

Barbs and MP serves mostly for one reason, defense, you can stop giant, hog, or pretty much every tank with barbs, so I dont really see a point in having two units that do the same thing. I would switch pekka for canon to stop hog, or any higher HP unit for that matter, it only cost 3 elixir and is a great counter.

MP can wreck towers (if you can get the MP there), wins me games all the time.

hollomat

Banned
Got lucky and a super magical chest dropped yesterday. Like I mentioned earlier I was tracking my chest order and it seems to have replaced the magical chest in my chest order.

I've gotten 4 chests since then and they all match perfectly with what I'm expecting to get in the chest order so it looks like the magical chest was definitely replaced by the super magical. This was the first magical chest in my 3rd cycle of the chest rotation, so maybe supercell has decided to change that chest to super magical.

nampad

Was there a new update for Android?
I am using Bluestacks and now the QWER keys on the keyboard are for actions and the C key is also mapped for something.

The problem is, it is done via a touch keymapping and now I can't chat because typing those keys does input the keys and also touch other keys on the virtual keyboard, which is super annoying.

At first I thought I did something wrong and activated an option on Bluestacks. I looked for hours to fix this and also reinstalled everything, while making sure my account was actually saved with another Android emulator...

In the end, it did not change anything. Anyone know how to deactivate it?

DrkSage

Got lucky and a super magical chest dropped yesterday. Like I mentioned earlier I was tracking my chest order and it seems to have replaced the magical chest in my chest order.

I've gotten 4 chests since then and they all match perfectly with what I'm expecting to get in the chest order so it looks like the magical chest was definitely replaced by the super magical. This was the first magical chest in my 3rd cycle of the chest rotation, so maybe supercell has decided to change that chest to super magical.

I definitively think that was the case all along since the game launched tbh. I remember when the game lunched globally the first magical chest I got was a SMC, then my second rare chest was a giant. When I downloaded the chest tracker app I noticed that the 11 chest on the rotation was a MC but I didn't get that between the SMC and the giant chest.

If that's the case then 1 out of 8 MC is a SMC I guess.

This game infuriates me like nothing ever has. Absolutely rage inducing. I'm sure GAF is sick of hearing my shit, but holy smokes I need to vent. Pretty sure I should drop this game soon, I'm a pretty calm and cool person normally but this game and its taunts/matchmaking/losing streaks turn me into a monster.

Sure would save me quite a bit of time each day if I limited my play too. No point in grinding it out when I start to face individuals in Legendary and everyone rolls me and taunts me as well as being level 10 while I'm 8.

ST2K

Well, not only am I not falling out of Arena 7 and am slowly climbing, but I just got a Miner in a random Silver Chest.

Anyone have good recommendations for the card's use? I've only faced one once and it seemed like a relatively minor (hah) annoyance for a Legendary. My current deck's got a pretty good synergy going so I want to be careful with any modifications.

zoukka

Well, not only am I not falling out of Arena 7 and am slowly climbing, but I just got a Miner in a random Silver Chest.

Anyone have good recommendations for the card's use? I've only faced one once and it seemed like a relatively minor (hah) annoyance for a Legendary. My current deck's got a pretty good synergy going so I want to be careful with any modifications.

Miner is super good. You can snipe low hp units like wizard/princess with it. You can send him as the last unit in pushes and hes there first to tank a lot of hits from towers. And he does unavoidable chip damage over time as he's so cheap.

Ninja Dom

Miner is super good. You can snipe low hp units like wizard/princess with it. You can send him as the last unit in pushes and hes there first to tank a lot of hits from towers. And he does unavoidable chip damage over time as he's so cheap.

All you lucky players with your Legenderies.

I cannot figure out a strategy against Sparky players. I get fucked. I don't know what to do. I don't use Minions.

Top Bottom