• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

TheExodu5

Banned
If you are using it on offense, sure, but in his deck it is defensive unit. Don't really see a point in using it for him tbh.

The beautiful thing about mini pekka is that he can be used for defense and then is usually still around for a counter push. He's not easily taken out like barbs either. I prefer him to cannon, personally.

Agent

Lava hound showed up in my shop

I think the the only legendary I would want to buy is miner

I'm starting to see more Lava Hound being used, but it is not worth the purchase unless you just want to unlock all cards. It is a card that has a lot of risk / reward; and I just don't see air decks doing well in the current meta (at least in Legendary arena). My deck is fairly weak against air so I just go aggressive with a ground attack right away when I see LH/Balloon. Most people with that combo don't have many ground troops. Since that combo is fairly slow, and with limited ground defense, you can usually beat them to the punch anyway.

Miner is fantastic, definitely would recommend. It seems to be the rising star card in the last week that people are talking more about. It is just too useful for chipping away at towers, taking out Elixir Collectors, or serving as a quick tank for troops.

I would say current Legendary ranking is:

1) Ice Wizard
2) Miner (I almost put this #1, but IW has better overall usage)
3) Princess (Very good card, but a lot of people can counter her fairly easily these days.)

A very distant 4/5....
4) Sparky
5) Lava Hound

broz0rs

I pulled an Ice Wiz from a free chest recently and the one thing that I wasn't aware before using it was how good it is at making Hog rider and RG a lot less effective. His slow debuff is just absurd and can shut down huge attacks by itself. There's no way this card should cost 3 elixir imo.

I pulled an Ice Wiz from a free chest recently and the one thing that I wasn't aware before using it was how good it is at making Hog rider and RG a lot less effective. His slow debuff is just absurd and can shut down huge attacks by itself. There's no way this card should cost 3 elixir imo.

Yeah

He does shit damage but he's quite tanky for a 3 cost level 1, and his slow is sooooo freaking good. Ugh. A disgusting card.

I don't know about Arena 6 but 5 and 4 is nearly all now
Hog rider!
Hog rider!
Hog rider!
I literally have to keep elixir and barbarians in hand, or cycle through shrapnel to get to them, for the whole time.

DrkSage

I'm starting to see more Lava Hound being used, but it is not worth the purchase unless you just want to unlock all cards. It is a card that has a lot of risk / reward; and I just don't see air decks doing well in the current meta (at least in Legendary arena). My deck is fairly weak against air so I just go aggressive with a ground attack right away when I see LH/Balloon. Most people with that combo don't have many ground troops. Since that combo is fairly slow, and with limited ground defense, you can usually beat them to the punch anyway.

Miner is fantastic, definitely would recommend. It seems to be the rising star card in the last week that people are talking more about. It is just too useful for chipping away at towers, taking out Elixir Collectors, or serving as a quick tank for troops.

I would say current Legendary ranking is:

1) Ice Wizard
2) Miner (I almost put this #1, but IW has better overall usage)
3) Princess (Very good card, but a lot of people can counter her fairly easily these days.)

A very distant 4/5....
4) Sparky
5) Lava Hound

Nah, 1 is 2, 2 is 3 and 3 is 1. 4 and 5 stay the same. The reason I put princess in the top is because you HAVE to waste somethings to get her. Zap won't kill her, can't send troops after her since she will snipe them. You either wait for her to get close enough and hope that the enemy doesn't throw another unit in front of her or waste your arrows, IF you have arrows to begin with. She's annoying, plain and simple.

I don't know about Arena 6 but 5 and 4 is nearly all now
Hog rider!
Hog rider!
Hog rider!
I literally have to keep elixir and barbarians in hand, or cycle through shrapnel to get to them, for the whole time.

It's like that aaaaaaalll the way up to the beginning of arena 8. Supposedly higher Arena 8 has toned it down a bit with the hog rider and there's more variety of decks up there.

Dropped 500+ trophies in a day (with plenty of breaks in between). Same deck, same play-style throughout. Complete garbage

My friend who plays insists the game selects cards to your hand in order to handicap, or perhaps picks player decks that it knows you would be weak/strong against, in order to increase streaks. Because winning streaks and then losing streaks are both more involving/addicting and also more likely to encourage spending money.
On one hand I know that raging makes me play poorly but on the other hand sometimes I really feel like I am playing ok and I get deck after deck that I can't deal well with, or get deck after deck that is fairly easy to win against. Other ladder based games like hearthstone it seemed at your level, more random without streaks.

Just need two more Witches to get it to level 4!

But yeah I've almost hit the pay wall. Will definitely stop playing seriously once all my main cards require like 8,000 gold to upgrade

The deck that's been working for me the past couple weeks is Giant, witch , goblin w/spears, zap, fireball, hog rider, loon, skeleton army

Agent

Going to wrap up the season at 3874 trophies. I've been making steady progress the last two seasons. Hit 3015 2 seasons ago, then 3500 last season. I could probably make a push higher today, but I'm content with making baby steps.

Plus, I'm a bit tired of going against the Royal Giant in nearly every battle. Basically whenever I see an Elixir Collector being played I know what is about to happen, so at least it is predictable. It is fun to bait out an Elixir Collector at the start with Goblins/Spear Goblins (most opponents think you're just throwing away 2 elixir to get to the next card), then turn it into a full onslaught with Mini Pekka / Miner charging down the lane. This usually will take a tower, or nearly take it since they can't defend well. At that point it makes Royal Giant defense much easier since you can just throw everything at it.

Eldon

Going to wrap up the season at 3874 trophies. I've been making steady progress the last two seasons. Hit 3015 2 seasons ago, then 3500 last season. I could probably make a push higher today, but I'm content with making baby steps.

Plus, I'm a bit tired of going against the Royal Giant in nearly every battle. Basically whenever I see an Elixir Collector being played I know what is about to happen, so at least it is predictable. It is fun to bait out an Elixir Collector at the start with Goblins/Spear Goblins (most opponents think you're just throwing away 2 elixir to get to the next card), then turn it into a full onslaught with Mini Pekka / Miner charging down the lane. This usually will take a tower, or nearly take it since they can't defend well. At that point it makes Royal Giant defense much easier since you can just throw everything at it.
If I may ask what levels are you fighting with? This is the first season I got in leg, im lvl 9 with 9 commons and 6 rares, 3200+ is an uphill battle against 11 commons 8+ rares. I have though both the Icewiz and the princess, which pushed me from 2.6k to where I am now

I should be way higher in trophies but I don't know why I'm not.

I feel like I'm pretty good at the game but I just can't get higher.

I was using this as my main deck for a while since a level 4 Pekka is beast. I got up to 2650 trophies with this, but the past couple weeks been getting raped. It gets raped by hog/valk/musk and its not that good against Royal Giant, the two most popular decks in the meta right now.

maUmd6l.png

So I switched to this deck and my win rate is just above 50%. I'm sitting around 2500 trophies.

LmM1aUm.png

I just don't know what to do. The only legendary I have is Lava Hound and don't even use him.

Agent

If I may ask what levels are you fighting with? This is the first season I got in leg, im lvl 9 with 9 commons and 6 rares, 3200+ is an uphill battle against 11 commons 8+ rares. I have though both the Icewiz and the princess, which pushed me from 2.6k to where I am now

Typically I am going against level 10/11 and I'm level 11. Occasionally a level 9/12 get thrown in the mix, but that is fairly rare. Level 9 are actually the scariest of the match ups since they clearly know what they are doing to make it in that trophy range at that level.

Looking through my activity log, the vast majority have Level 11 commons / level 8 rares. I don't go against Epic cards very often these days, but the few I see are level 5/6. Most Legendary cards are level 2 with an occasional 1/3 in the mix.

When I first hit Legendary arena I was in a similar position with level 9/6/4/1 cards. Just make sure you try to stay in Legendary as much as possible given you get more in chest rewards, and can give/get more in clan donations. That helps to speed up the leveling process. It is just like any other arena where it is shaky to get and stay in, but once you're in you should be in good shape. Also be aware of tomorrow and early this week with the reset. Everyone who was in Legendary gets reset to 3000, so there is a very likely chance you will go up against people who had a lot of trophies since you all are around 3000 for matchmaking purposes. It will be a bit of a mess until things get sorted out by mid week.

broz0rs

So I switched to this deck and my win rate is just above 50%. I'm sitting around 2500 trophies.

LmM1aUm.png

I'd switch freeze and either Barbs or Valks (because both cards serve the same purpose of countering by tower). In its place, I'd use goblins to attack together with Hog Rider and zap. That combo can do a lot of damage, especially if goblins don't die early. I'd also use either Wizard or Fireball to deal with group of troops that come at your tower such as minion horde or Barbs.

Ninja Dom

That's it!!!

I'm done!!

Fuck this piece of shit cunt's game!!

Rage deleted. I'm not having it. Dropping from 2000 to 1700 trophies. From Royal Arena back to Spell Valley in 2 hours!!

Cunt's game! 😡😡😡

yatesl

That's it!!!

I'm done!!

Rage deleted. I'm not having it. Dropping from 2000 to 1700 trophies. From Royal Arena back to Spell Valley in 2 hours!!

Cunt's game! 😡😡😡

Happened to me almost 2 weeks ago and I'm still in Spell Valley. A lot has changed since we were last there - everyone has level 8 or 9 commons, and 5 or 6 rares, with level 3 epics.

I imagine starting this game new will be a massive punch to the face.

UFO

Banned
That's it!!!

I'm done!!

Cunt's game! 😡😡😡

I stopped caring about going on massive losing streaks. I hit a peak of 1526 about 2 weeks ago and now I can barely stay above 1300.

Maximus P

That's it!!!

I'm done!!

Cunt's game! 😡😡😡

lol.

Ive been here myself dude.

Game is great at its core but has a lot of faults that make it almost rage enducing.

1) Overpowered/Overused cards. Hog rider and RGs feature in 90% of the decks you come across. RGs can be placed on the enemies side of the river for instant effect once one tower is down and Hog riders can be combined with things like zap and freeze for garunteed damage.

2)Matchmaking. Check out the reviews on the playstore, there are hundreds of people reporting that the game will be fine and then suddenly they go on a huge loss or win streak. I personally dropped from 2800 trophies to 1900 with the same deck and tactics as ive always used. Some claim its psychological, some claim that youre shooting above your weight and the loss streaks are just putting you back where you belong. I think its happening to so many people that im inclined to belive that Supercell has something in place. 80% of the people i faced used hog/freeze/zapp, so i changed my deck to a anti hogg deck (cannons, zapp, low costing troops etc) and hardly came across any hogs.

3) Taunts. They serve no function now other than to annoy. Even the guys that wish you 'good luck' at the start of a match spam the laughing kings at the end so i dont even respond to that anymore.There needs to be more so that you can at least have some sort of communication or a mute option.

4) level dropping. At least with clash of clans high level players had a disadvantage of only being able to obtain a small percentage of your loot. Obviously loot chests are smaller and contain less at lower levels but that doesnt mean shit to a new player that find themselves suddenly facing a level 9 player in arena 5. I think less crowns should be rewarded for facing low level players and more for higher. Something needs to be in place.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's it!!!

I'm done!!

Cunt's game! 😡😡😡

This was literally me today, although in frustration to get back up I was playing badly and ended up at 1570 at one point. I just spent the best part of three hours fighting back to 1700 and arena 6 just out of principal/spite. Will try again tomorrow but I might be done with it too. I think it made me realise how frustrated it can make me feel and what's the point when you're supposed to be enjoying a game?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
2)Matchmaking. Check out the reviews on the playstore, there are hundreds of people reporting that the game will be fine and then suddenly they go on a huge loss or win streak. I personally dropped from 2800 trophies to 1900 with the same deck and tactics as ive always used. Some claim its psychological, some claim that youre shooting above your weight and the loss streaks are just putting you back where you belong. I think its happening to so many people that im inclined to belive that Supercell has something in place. 80% of the people i faced used hog/freeze/zapp, so i changed my deck to a anti hogg deck (cannons, zapp, low costing troops etc) and hardly came across any hogs.

There is something going on with matchmaking. I tried switching decks out of desperation, and tried the balloon and giant, and suddenly I was getting tons of inferno tower decks against me. Pretty sure it isn't just matching trophy level, it's matching to opponents with good counter cards (in both directions obviously)

GodofWine

There is something going on with matchmaking. I tried switching decks out of desperation, and tried the balloon and giant, and suddenly I was getting tons of inferno tower decks against me. Pretty sure it isn't just matching trophy level, it's matching to opponents with good counter cards (in both directions obviously)

The match making is not only trophy driven, even if they say that, its been proven there are other factors. Remember, their business model is to encourage people to buy stuff.

ST2K

There's definitely bullshit going on with the matchmaking. Learn what you can and ride out the storm if you enjoy the game. I've been able to leverage alternate tactics to win some games because the deck I was up against was perfectly built to counter my main strategy. I became better as a result. However, there have definitely been plenty of times where my opponents have an answer to everything and it feels quite hopeless. And while that streak is only temporary, if that type of thing ruins the game for you, delete without hesitation.

As for me, I keep waiting to get bored of the game as the lure of new cards grows ever smaller, as that's what's mainly bringing me back. But it hasn't happened yet. We'll see.

That's it!!!

I'm done!!

Cunt's game! ������

Lol sounds like my kind of rage fit. Still on a brutal losing streak.

Funny how before the weekend I won 3/4 of my matches in Legendary Arena, then I proceeded to lose nonstop all the way to 2400 (so -600 currently) where I'm currently at. Really sours my will to come back considering this weekend nulled over a months worth of grinding up...

The game blatantly tries to make you pay for things. I was alright losing trophies before the last update. I really don't want to drop under 2k trophies for donation reasons. I've been up to 2800 and back down to 2100.

Ninja Dom

It's my temper. Red Mist. I can't take it. I don't think I've played a more rage inducing game. This game isn't good for me or my relationships with other people.

Deleted.

My proper strategy when on a losing streak is to stay with my current deck for at least 4 matches since you could just be getting unlucky and parred with good counter decks to your deck. Once I lose 5 or more in row though I look back at my games asseing why I was losing and changing my deck accordingly.(sometimes I end up changing my whole deck entirely which can break a losing streak) If I'm still losing after all I put the game down and take a break.

Trust me I know what it's like to get frustrated with dropping trophies. I was stuck in Arena 6 for the longest time because right when I would get around the 1900 trophy mark I would face nothing but royal giant and legendary decks that would bop me back down to the 1700 mark.

Brakke

Banned
There's no way to throw chests in the trash, is there? Silver Chests are pretty much a liability for me now. Just wastes of time. All my commons are level seven (or six just waiting for the cash to upgrade), all my rares are at four or five. Picking up three copies of a card at a time from a chest just isn't going to get me to 200...

Dunlop

2)Matchmaking. Check out the reviews on the playstore, there are hundreds of people reporting that the game will be fine and then suddenly they go on a huge loss or win streak..

This is what killed the game for me, I was totally into building new decks but the second I would go on a winning streak, I would repeatively be matched against decks that I was weakest against. A half dozen situations like this and I was done taking the game "serioulsy".

My coworker takes it a step above paranoia and tells me to check the load time when you play the same deck multiple times (instant) but as soon as you change to another it becomes longer. Not sure I'm at that tinfoil hat stage yet

Now I just google decks and play to pass time on the commute to work, I've been in Arena 5 for over a month and my only incentive is to see if I get an Ice Wizard

Matchmaking is definitely tilted and supercell was known for shenanigans in boom beach too.

I find if there is a longer than normal pause when "finding opponent" I get a deck that I am weak against or someone with much higher max trophies than their level. if it's really quick I get the normal random deck for my deck : for me that's hut deck, pekkas deck, etc.

So what I reckon happens is after an amount of success the match making starts picking people with counter decks or people who have just ended their loss streak that has pushed them under water and they are now rising.. Or both. And the tell is a slow "finding opponent".

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Rage quitters are hilarious. Just take a break if you're on a losing streak. No need to get mad about it
I can rage at games sometimes but I don't know what it is about this game that keeps me calm.

I'll often get pumped during a match because how intense my concentration can get but mad? Nah I'm cool with losing.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Nothing I love more than the matchmaker putting me up against someone 2 levels lower than me. I develop that bloodthirst. I can feel it in my bones. The free-est of trophies await me. Then they have the card for card perfect counter for my deck and wipe their ass with me in record time.

Happens.

Every.

Fucking.

Time.

Yeah I take a break if you don't spend money how else can you play but 20 minutes twice a day to refill chests?

Two golds and two silvers that's 4 wins and 22 hours of waiting. So on average, that's 8 games a day. Ok so maybe you gem some chests now and again, maybe 12 games a day.. I can't imagine how bad for your blood pressure it would be to spend constantly, play for hours, and get thrashed 8 times in a row by laughing opponents.

If anyone wants to test something..try uninstalling the game, leave it an hour or two, reinstall and then play a bunch of games.

I've done it 3 times and went on a winning streak each time...but 3 is a miserable sample.

Ninja Dom

Nothing I love more than the matchmaker putting me up against someone 2 levels lower than me. I develop that bloodthirst. I can feel it in my bones. The free-est of trophies await me. Then they have the card for card perfect counter for my deck and wipe their ass with me in record time.

Happens.

Every.

Fucking.

Time.

Exactly this right here.

You face a lower level than you...yet they got Ice Wizard AND Larva Hound and completely fuck you up.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Exactly this right here.

You face a lower level than you...yet they got Ice Wizard AND Larva Hound and completely fuck you up.
Well if they have Ice Wizard and Lava Hound that explains why they have a lower level than you at the same tier trophy wise.

Lower leveled characters are actually the scariest for me in arena 7, I'm at level 8 and if I see a level 7 I know they mean business. Level 9 and 10, I feel like I might out play them.

Matush

Fuck this game on reset day in higher 2000s, like seriously, nothing but players with 2 or 3 legendaries in the deck... I will probably skip first two days of the week altogether if matchmaking doesnt improve in the future.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Fuck. To rub it in from last night I just wanted to get 100 more trophies to start working my way back to where I was. 30 games later and I'm literally where I started off. I seem to lose lots of trophies and only win a few, so 3 wins and two losses is just treading water.

I need a few days off. If I uninstall will it keep my stats when I reinstall it later on?

Funny how so many people complain only about thier losing streaks.

But when they have a winning streak it is just because they are awesome and not because the game was rigged to give them someone weaker.

Just enjoy the ups and downs people.

Fuck. To rub it in from last night I just wanted to get 100 more trophies to start working my way back to where I was. 30 games later and I'm literally where I started off. I seem to lose lots of trophies and only win a few, so 3 wins and two losses is just treading water.

I need a few days off. If I uninstall will it keep my stats when I reinstall it later on?

It does for me on Android. When you reinstall the game, the base tutorial starts and then it pops up a message asking if you want to update to your existing profile. Just hit yes and you're back where you started.

Feel free to try out my win streak theory :)

JoeNut

Happens.

Every.

Fucking.

Time.

this is because you're thinking about it the wrong way round.

If someone is in the same trophy region as you are, and they're 2 levels lower, then they're a very good player to be able to get to the same amount of trophies as you are with lesser tower HP.

Lower level players in higher level arenas are going to be good players.

hollomat

Banned
There's a lot more people in legendary now. 2 weeks ago I finished at 3150 trophies and was rank 87,000. This season I finished st 3200 trophies and was rank 102,000.

Agent

There's a lot more people in legendary now. 2 weeks ago I finished at 3150 trophies and was rank 87,000. This season I finished st 3200 trophies and was rank 102,000.

My 3884 trophies were good for #5,026. I'd be curious what the curve looks like for trophies / rank in legendary. I'm guessing the majority of people fall in the 3000 - 3400 range and you climb in rank much quicker past that point. They should publish a report/graph after each season, would be interesting to see.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
My 3884 trophies were good for #5,026. I'd be curious what the curve looks like for trophies / rank in legendary. I'm guessing the majority of people fall in the 3000 - 3400 range and you climb in rank much quicker past that point. They should publish a report/graph after each season, would be interesting to see.

4008 cups is rank 2880. I bet you're right in that most ppl are between 3000 and 3400.

broz0rs

For those of you that have purchased Super Magical chests, do you still do so considering Legendary cards show up in the market?

Top Bottom