• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
For those of you that have purchased Super Magical chests, do you still do so considering Legendary cards show up in the market?

If your goal is legendary cards, then I've been told that you're better off buying magical chests since each SMC can only have 1 legendary card per chest. SMC is still the better "value" than buying a legendary card outright because you get a bunch of other cards as well. But you could also get nothing you want. If it was me, and I wanted a particular legendary card, I'd just wait until it came into my shop.

Sparky is a fucking annoying card.

I don't mind that it is devastating in its lethality, it is just the sheer lack of decent options to counter it in a way that gives you the upper hand.

Especially when it is backed up with splash damage troops, or given a clear path by something like the Giant Skeleton.

spyder_ur

Sparky is a fucking annoying card.

I don't mind that it is devastating in its lethality, it is just the sheer lack of decent options to counter it in a way that gives you the upper hand.

Especially when it is backed up with splash damage troops, or given a clear path by something like the Giant Skeleton.

Seems counter-intuitive, but don't counter it at all to start. Make a push in the other direction and force your opponent to spend some elixir there. Then hopefully you get an opportunity to drop troops right on it in range of your tower - it goes down fast and takes awhile to turn and target its next victim. I've taken one down with just splitting regular old goblins before. Barbs even better. Zap can help a lot too.

Nothing better than taking 1000 damage off of a tower and then killing sparky with your goblins still standing.

This is a key concept in the game and one I didn't understand fully for awhile. It allowed me to push well past the 3000 crown marker.

Funny how so many people complain only about thier losing streaks.

But when they have a winning streak it is just because they are awesome and not because the game was rigged to give them someone weaker.

Just enjoy the ups and downs people.

Fair enough, but I can unequivocally assure you I've never went on a winning streak of more than 3 or 4 games. However I have managed to drop 600 trophies just last weekend, and that was like 3-5 weeks of playing to build that up. I think the point is winning streaks are not as likely as losing streaks, at least in my opinion lol.

Either way switching up your deck does seem to interject some excitement back into the game. As long as you know your going to need a few games to acclimate.

Ughh this game... Wtf is this poison cloud shit? Insanely cheap and it last so long. A guy higher level than me just has to throw that in front of his tower and I can't do shit.

Also I hate these fucking lame emotes. "Wow!" "Yay!" "Good game!" "This is funnn!". They need at least like a "well that is fucking bullshit", or "way to be a cheap fuck".

Gahhhhhh

ultron87

The more I play this the more I'm convinced that it is a massive design flaw that the correct strategy after taking one tower is so often to just turtle up and go all defense. And that this is so central to the game they've made that there is nothing that can be done about it.

You know, even though like 40% of the meta is RGs, I've run into very little decks with inferno towers. Makes it easy for me to win with my lava hound deck though.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
this is because you're thinking about it the wrong way round.

If someone is in the same trophy region as you are, and they're 2 levels lower, then they're a very good player to be able to get to the same amount of trophies as you are with lesser tower HP.

Lower level players in higher level arenas are going to be good players.

They can be there as a fluke of funky matchmaking too.

I was in the same arena I'm stuck in now 2 levels ago. I eventually dropped the hundreds of trophies needed to get demoted and then slowly worked my way back up. Are you saying I'm a better player than myself?

Yeah and when you descended from heaven and finally started to kick ass in the lower arena you were part of those poor souls losing streak who looked at your profile and wondered why matchmaking had you marched against them. A streak system is not mathematically impossible nor need it be done by handicaps obvious in a replay. It can be done by card dealing order or by counter deck picking.

Genio88

I recently switched from a Windows Phone(Lumia 950XL) to Android(Leeco Le 2) mostly due to lack of apps, and i tried this game since everybody talks about it, god it's really well made, a sort of tower defence but pretty fast and fan to play, i usually don't like this genre of games, though i really got into this one immediatly, i didn't expect it to be so good, great gameplay with quick but also tactical battles, cards collection and upgrading system, clans etc everything has been designed well, now i'm playing it regularly.
So about the topic, when i'm full on chests i rather wait for them to unlock and then play, though from time to time i play even if i'm full, you'll always gain coins and trophies so it's still worth it, and loosing doesn't really cost you that much after all, also i really enjoy the battles themseves besides the rewards

nampad

Today is a great day.

So first my main char gets a super magical chest and right after my alt account pulls a princess out of a gold chest. It's the 3rd legendary on my alt account (my main only has 1) and I never paid any money.

I wish my main could have been that lucky but seeing some people here never get any legendary, I am quite lucky.

Now let's see what my third account will get :D

Maximus P

So goddamn sick of miners. How much elixir are they? Gobs do an OK job but the card shouldn't be in the game IMO.

There's a lot of complaints on the official forums about miners.

They cost 3 elixir and the annoyance with them is that it costs more than that to counter them efficiently ,especially when used with poison, which so many people seem to do now. Every card should have a lower cost counter to make the game balanced.

Princess can be arrowed or killed with any low costing troop if in your spawn zone

Lava hound can be ignored and arrowed when the pups emerge.

Sparky can be taken down easily with a zap goblin combo or by any shielded troop such as dark prince or guards

Ice wizard can be take out by any low costing troop if distracted

I really can't think of a good counter to miner. Especially annoying when your running a pump deck and your enemy is constanty taking out your pumps for small price.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I was one win away from getting to arena 6 finally and I lagged out of three games back to back to back for a total loss of -98 trophies. I got some of them back on 2 wins right after that, but absolute garbage to lose without even being able to try and defend. I don't know what's going on with this stupid game but there are certain times of the day when I try to play and it will just not stay connected.

commish

The more I play this the more I'm convinced that it is a massive design flaw that the correct strategy after taking one tower is so often to just turtle up and go all defense. And that this is so central to the game they've made that there is nothing that can be done about it.

I think it's better to go for the second tower after getting the first down. It's hard to stop someone on offense if they don't have to worry about defense. Only exception would be if I had multiple defensive structures.

There's a lot of complaints on the official forums about miners.

They cost 3 elixir and the annoyance with them is that it costs more than that to counter them efficiently ,especially when used with poison, which so many people seem to do now. Every card should have a lower cost counter to make the game balanced.

Princess can be arrowed or killed with any low costing troop if in your spawn zone

Lava hound can be ignored and arrowed when the pups emerge.

Sparky can be taken down easily with a zap goblin combo or by any shielded troop such as dark prince or guards

Ice wizard can be take out by any low costing troop if distracted

I really can't think of a good counter to miner. Especially annoying when your running a pump deck and your enemy is constanty taking out your pumps for small price.

Well if you pair it with poison, that's 7 mana... that's not a good combo imo. Miner doesn't do that much damage - it's best used to tank for something else. If it's just the miner, then goblins will take it out. Or a Knight. I bet 1 mana skellies would kill it as well. The number of enemies countered by the 1 mana skellies is long. I should probably use them more often.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I have a Miner and it's not that good.

I have trouble taking out towers because he barely does any damage, and I have to keep a good amount of elixir left to defend a counter push. I'm sure having a Miner as my only real tower damage card isn't great, but it's the only Miner deck I've had any success with.

My deck,

Miner
Poison
Valkyrie
Knight
Spear Goblins
Baby Dragon
Inferno Tower
Arrows

broz0rs

I had to swap out my elixir pump because of miner. I run a low cost deck anyway, so it's not a big deal for me.

I have a Miner and it's not that good.

I have trouble taking out towers because he barely does any damage, and I have to keep a good amount of elixir left to defend a counter push. I'm sure having a Miner as my only real tower damage card isn't great, but it's the only Miner deck I've had any success with.

My deck,

Miner
Poison
Valkyrie
Knight
Spear Goblins
Baby Dragon
Inferno Tower
Arrows

Miner is one of the best cards in the game if used properly. I'm certain if there's a poll for most wanted cards, it would easily be top 5. Personally, I'd rank it second to Ice Wiz.

It is essentially a low cost tank. It is also a deceptive tank because it's HP doesn't start to go down until it's right at the tower, unlike other tanky units that start to lose its health once it crosses the bridge.

You have to pair it with fast units that will hit the tower hard. Hog Rider, Prince, D.Prince, Mini-Pekka, and Goblins are excellent units to pair it with. If your opponent doesn't have enough elixir to defend it with because they invested in something like elixir pump, golem, or Pekka one of their towers is pretty much dead.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I like the miner as a tower distraction - its too low level to do real damage unless the opponent doesn't notice it (had that happen to me a few times). But while the tower is attacking it, I can have other units doing damage to the tower - even had my little 4 man skelly group do a ton of damage like that.

Dazzler

Dropping a tombstone against a hog rider is amazing, as long as the cycle doesn't catch you out you've nullified their win condition

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I like the miner as a tower distraction - its too low level to do real damage unless the opponent doesn't notice it (had that happen to me a few times). But while the tower is attacking it, I can have other units doing damage to the tower - even had my little 4 man skelly group do a ton of damage like that.

Yeah I usually lead a push with Baby Dragon tanking tower shots and Spear Goblins following up doing really good damage to the tower with Miner as a distraction.

Agent

The Miner is fantastic, honestly it is almost the #1 legendary card in my opinion. I've been using it for quite awhile now and it will absolutely destroy your opponent if left unchecked. Now that it is becoming popular more people are prepared to deal with it so it has lost some of the effectiveness, but not much.

I think the Miner just takes more strategy to use it effectively. See your opponent drop an Elixir Collector? Time to charge with the Miner and Spear Goblins/Goblins/Mini Pekka and there won't be much your opponent can do. Shut down an opponent push? Send the Miner in while your counter-push is going down the lane to tank for the cards. If you just send a Miner in, then yeah, I can see why people would think it isn't that great of a card. You need the support around it otherwise it is a fairly useless card. Granted, that can be said for all of the legendary cards.

Using a cheap elixir Miner deck has been the most fun I've had in this game.

spyder_ur

I don't have the miner which is probably 90% of the reason it's annoying to me.

I just think the teleportation to anywhere on the map means it should cost definitely more than 3 elixir. People are saying gobs takes it down and I've seen that but that hasn't been my experience all the time, unless I get them there first and then I'm guessing where it's going to land.

Nothing irks me more than a Sparky + Royal Giant push. I just give up. There is nothing I have that will defend or wipe both of them immediately. Can't counter push another lane because Sparky will out DPS anyway. Can't drop Goblins or Barbs or Skellige because they go for the Royal Giant.

I'd really like its range nerfed.

JoeNut

Nothing irks me more than a Sparky + Royal Giant push. I just give up. There is nothing I have that will defend or wipe both of them immediately. Can't counter push another lane because Sparky will out DPS anyway. Can't drop Goblins or Barbs or Skellige because they go for the Royal Giant.

This is my build, with mirror and dragon supporting, ive had games where people just give up against me after the first towers gone within a minute.

worst part is, if i come up against a sparky, i always lose.

commish

I just sit there laughing when they have multiple level 2 legendary cards and still lose against Rares and commons.

If you listed the ten "best" cards in the game, I bet the vast majority of them are commons/rares.

It really is a rough combo to deal with, but keep in mind the commitment - 12 elixir without attacking anything. If you let any 12+ elixir push build up, it's going to be painful. Zap helps a lot if you have it (I don't run it but should), as does freeze. If I fought more sparky, I would replace my fireball with zap. As much as I hate fighting him, he's still pretty rare because someone with zap and experience fighting sparky would just dominate that sparky deck.

LiQuid!

Got to arena 6 finally. Pathetic considering my level, but I'm here. I don't even want to finish my crown chest, I just wanna sit here and get free chests for a while to get cards because I'm way overdue for a loss streak.

For some reason with my current deck I feel like I have a lot more control over the game. Even when I lose I feel like I could have won if I played better. I don't feel like I run into hard counters for my deck every few games like I did when I was running balloon/freeze.

Currently running

Giant
Balloon
Barbs
Mini Horde
Archers
Spear Gobs
Fireball
Arrows

The only hard counter seems to be minion horde, which I have so many ways to deal with it's not even a prob.

Royal giants drive me nuts because there is no way to counter them before they get off at least 450 damage on a hut.

At least, not a cost effective one.

The only way to fully stop a royal giant is to freeze and then skellie swarm, but who the hell is going to invest 8 elixer to stop a 6 elixer card.

I just hate how little reaction time you have. I wish it had a longer spawn timer or something like what they did to Xbow.

Royal giant decks are pretty much the only ones I lose to nowadays and it's always a battle of attrition because I can't stop them from slowly ticking away at my towers.

commish

Got to arena 6 finally. Pathetic considering my level, but I'm here. I don't even want to finish my crown chest, I just wanna sit here and get free chests for a while to get cards because I'm way overdue for a loss streak.

For some reason with my current deck I feel like I have a lot more control over the game. Even when I lose I feel like I could have won if I played better. I don't feel like I run into hard counters for my deck every few games like I did when I was running balloon/freeze.

Currently running

Giant
Balloon
Barbs
Mini Horde
Archers
Spear Gobs
Fireball
Arrows

The only hard counter seems to be minion horde, which I have so many ways to deal with it's not even a prob.

Look at your last 5 replays and see if you really needed both fireball and arrows. Usually you only need one. I also think everyone should have one defensive structure in the game - cannons are an amazing value and almost always generate an elixir gain. I would also consider using either archers or spear gobs, but not both. Goblins are a good substitute for the other because they can do insane damage while your loon and giant and tanking. Just my 2 cents :)

LiQuid!

Look at your last 5 replays and see if you really needed both fireball and arrows. Usually you only need one. I also think everyone should have one defensive structure in the game - cannons are an amazing value and almost always generate an elixir gain. I would also consider using either archers or spear gobs, but not both. Goblins are a good substitute for the other because they can do insane damage while your loon and giant and tanking. Just my 2 cents :)

Alright, I'll think about that. I always hate defensive buildings when I play against them but I've never been able to use them effectively. It always feels like I'd rather drop a unit where I would put a building down because I could potentially build a counter push off of it.

Arrows I use specifically to counter minion horde. Fireball more to weaken big pushes with barbarians wizards and stuff. I probably don't need both. Those 2 cards are basically just my security blanket.

Future

Royal giants drive me nuts because there is no way to counter them before they get off at least 450 damage on a hut.

At least, not a cost effective one.

The only way to fully stop a royal giant is to freeze and then skellie swarm, but who the hell is going to invest 8 elixer to stop a 6 elixer card.

I just hate how little reaction time you have. I wish it had a longer spawn timer or something like what they did to Xbow.

Royal giant decks are pretty much the only ones I lose to nowadays and it's always a battle of attrition because I can't stop them from slowly ticking away at my towers.

Xbow is one of the worst cards now though. Same with the mortar. No one fears or respects these cards anymore

I like the RG. you have to respect him and his role is very different from other cards. Nukes like mini pekka or inferno tower are the hard counter. You can distract with a building if you want zero damage

If you are having problems with RG, try cannon + mini pekka.

Thats 7 elixr to stop a 6 elixr card

There are lots of ways to kill it. Just none that are in your favor.

Basically every other card has a hard counter that results in positive elixr. RG seems to be the exception currently.

I believe the only way to spend less elixr than RG cost to put down is to allow your tower to take dmg.

spyder_ur

Basically every other card has a hard counter that results in positive elixr. RG seems to be the exception currently.

I believe the only way to spend less elixr than RG cost to put down is to allow your tower to take dmg.

But you still have the mini pekka though. Same with Ice Wizard + Cannon, you may take a few hits but your Ice Wiz is still up. I rarely see RG by himself anyways at my level though so it's a bit moot.

Miner is the only card currently driving me crazy. Princess is OP too since you often have to devote elixir to just stopping her, and leaving her up can wreck havoc. Those two don't behave in the same confines as the rest of the cards - guess that's why they're legendaries.

commish

Yes, that means your mini pekka effectively cost 1 mana, which is a fantastic value.

Go Tombstone instead, that way the skellies and the pekka force the opponent into using more elixir to stop their mini counter-push

My problem with tombstone is that it has so low HP.

ST2K

Question for all of you.

How much would you pay for a good Clash Royale clone on PC/consoles/handhelds that removed all the F2P garbage?

Maximus P

There are 3 things that are certain in life.

Death

Taxes

....and when I drop barbarians in Clash Royale my enemy will have a fireball ready to use on them.

Question for all of you.

How much would you pay for a good Clash Royale clone on PC/consoles/handhelds that removed all the F2P garbage?

Probably about $2-5 on the play store. Depends on how good it is.

Question for all of you.

Up to about £5 I guess. I've stopped playing this and also Dungeon Boss on my mobile, just found to be a waste of my time in the end.

Fireball is probably my most favorite card. First card I upgraded to tourney level. There is so much value to one shorting Muskets, Wiz and Three Muskets. Once I'm done upgrading my deck to tourney level I'll prioritize it again.

Inferno Tower.

ST2K

There are 3 things that are certain in life.
Probably about $2-5 on the play store. Depends on how good it is.

Up to about £5 I guess. I've stopped playing this and also Dungeon Boss on my mobile, just found to be a waste of my time in the end.

Make it sci-fi themed and I'm sold. I'd pay $4.99 for it.

I was wondering this because it seems the majority of the complaints about the game are directly related to annoyance with matchmaking and pay to win for legendaries stuff.

It seems like you could probably make a decent premium version and profit. The biggest cost would probably be matchmaking. I'd pay $10-20 if they added more depth to the game AND got rid of the F2P stuff.

DrkSage

Seems like the sparky+RG is the new hog+zap+goblins. It doesn't annoy me as much as the hog though. I have a lvl 2 sparky, it's hilarious watching the opponent lvl 1 sparky shooting mine only for it to survive and blast his/hers to next week.

Agent

This is why so many games are freemium. Supercell makes hundreds of millions of dollars more.

Basically. There is no incentive to charge a one-time fee when you could make a lot more money on in-app purchases. I think you will start to see a shift in how apps work over the next year or so. One-time app purchases aren't typically very sustainable for the developer, which is why you are starting to see app subscriptions pop up. Plus, the Apple announcement of reducing the cut they take with a yearly subscription will likely accelerate the process.

I'm curious if a subscription based mobile game would work. I'm guessing there would be way more failures than successes as I doubt most people would want to pay. For Clash Royale, let's say the game stays as is for free, but for $1.99 per month subscription you got double the chest storage, half the time unlocking, and a guaranteed legendary per month (weighted to one you do not have, or less of). I wonder if people would jump on that. They could still have Gems/Chests for those that really wanted to accelerate their progress.

commish

Basically. There is no incentive to charge a one-time fee when you could make a lot more money on in-app purchases. I think you will start to see a shift in how apps work over the next year or so. One-time app purchases aren't typically very sustainable for the developer, which is why you are starting to see app subscriptions pop up. Plus, the Apple announcement of reducing the cut they take with a yearly subscription will likely accelerate the process.

I'm curious if a subscription based mobile game would work. I'm guessing there would be way more failures than successes as I doubt most people would want to pay. For Clash Royale, let's say the game stays as is for free, but for $1.99 per month subscription you got double the chest storage, half the time unlocking, and a guaranteed legendary per month (weighted to one you do not have, or less of). I wonder if people would jump on that. They could still have Gems/Chests for those that really wanted to accelerate their progress.

Other games have had subscriptions for years. For example, in Brave Frontier, iirc, you get a certain number of gems per day (week?) if you buy a gem subscription. I think it's $5 a month. I don't think they'd offer more than that in a subscription because people would complain that it's more P2W. There are other games that give greater and greater benefits the more money you spend and it basically turns the game into being completely P2W.

Top Bottom