• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

JoeNut

I kinda feel like once you get rares to level 6 and commons to level 9 that it's almost unrealistic to get the cards required to level up. 800 commons and 100 rares is too high imo, maybe 600/75 would be a bit less of a grind

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I kinda feel like once you get rares to level 6 and commons to level 9 that it's almost unrealistic to get the cards required to level up. 800 commons and 100 rares is too high imo, maybe 600/75 would be a bit less of a grind

I've just got my first common to 9, and have only 1 rare left at 5. Sitting at 1900+ trophies on a slow but stable upwards trend.

I don't find it too bad, and the way forward from here doesn't seem too daunting, seeing as I have a generous clan and focus on one card at a time (mix it up now and again to not fatigue the clan gifting). Also, when you get into the higher arenas you get more cards per chest and can receive more gifts per request too which helps a lot I would think, even if it doesn't completely offset the increased grind.

I haven't monetized and don't feel too much grind pressure yet, though I am playing in as optimized way as possible in terms of chest management.

hollomat

Banned

It's actually not too bad once you get to legendary arena to level commons. You can get 40 with each request, which is 120 a day. So it takes 6.5 days if you start from 0 and get no cards from chests. And getting a common to 11 is 1000 cards so not a huge increase.

I've leveled up 3 cards to 10 and am about to have one to 11. This has all been just from requesting the cards.

The trick is you just have to dedicate all your requests to that one card and not donate that card at all.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
The trick is you just have to dedicate all your requests to that one card and not donate that card at all.

Yes. I rarely donate any cards that I use, but am as generous as possible with almost every other card (I hold back a little on cards I think I might be likely to use at some point like the hog rider and barbarians).

In terms of buying cards in the store, I also buy 3 of the common cards available in the store every day if I don't have them in my deck to give me a good stockpile of cards in my deck to gift (seems to either break even or pay out over the longer term given the coins and xp you get in return). If there is a common I use in my deck, then I buy a bunch up to the 20 coin mark. If there is a rare I use, then I buy 2 of them.

You want L7 Rares for tourney level stuff though. My Commons are still mostly 8. The L9 ones are usually the ones that aren't requested often.

I see waaaay too many L10 Commons at the top of A7. L7 Rares are getting frequent too. It's not like before when I enjoyed having a Lv7 Fireball one shot Wiz and Muskets every match.

wonderpug

Neo Member
What should the gems be used for?

Rush unlock chests if you're full and you're going to be actively playing a lot of games for a bit, otherwise save up to buy a bucket of gold.

Use gold in the store to buy 3 common cards every day, 2-3 rares a day, and the one epic if it's one you're actively using. Otherwise, use gold for upgrades as you normally would.

Agent

Emote Blog Update

https://clashroyale.com/blog/news/emotes

Adding an option to mute, or delete, emotes is a highly requested change. However, we have no plans to implement this feature, and we want to explain why.

One of our core design principles is: Cards that evoke strong emotions are the best thing for Clash Royale. Cards such as Sparky, the Royal Giant and the X-Bow are great examples. They evoke strong positive and strong negative emotions from people. We don't want cards that are just "good" or "OK." We want cards that people will love - and inevitably when someone loves a card, someone else will hate it. These are the cards that create the most interesting conversations and will keep Clash Royale fun and fresh for years to come!

The same principle - evoking strong emotions - is at the heart of why we're not planning to implement a mute option. Emotes are loved by some and hated by others - even within the Clash Royale team! We believe these strong emotions are integral to the core of the game.

Clash Royale is not a single player game and shouldn't feel like one. Emotes are an important reminder that you're facing another human being - maybe they're a nice guy, maybe they're not - but there's a person at the other end of the Arena and not a robot. You can communicate with them and they can respond, regardless of language or cultural barriers.

We don't expect everyone to agree with us on this - we're sure many of you won't! We do want to be upfront about it and our reasoning behind it. If you have any feedback, please share it with us on the forums or reddit.

See you in the Arena,
The Clash Royale Team

wonderpug

Neo Member
When you're playing against an asshole who is abusing emotes and getting under your skin, we want to be sure you know you're not playing against AI programmed to make you want to uninstall the game. You should know there's an actual asshole really being a jerk to you, and there's nothing you can do about it other than uninstalling our game.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
That's the worst explanation for keeping the emotes I've ever seen. They don't particularly bother me, but I know they bother a lot of other people. This explanation by SC is just silly.

Agent

"We want to trigger you to buy more chests!"

Basically >_>;

vRVCZDq.gif

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I actually find most players are "polite". I only get a sore winner with a crying emote or spamming laughing kings every 20 games or so, if that.

That 1 in 20 games does boil the blood though.

Not sure if I'd turn off emotes. Maybe.

hollomat

Banned
I actually find most players are "polite". I only get a sore winner with a crying emote or spamming laughing kings every 20 games or so, if that.

That 1 in 20 games does boil the blood though.

Not sure if I'd turn off emotes. Maybe.

I'm around 3200 trophies and I see the complete opposite. I'd say 9 out of 10 games that I lose end with the crying/laughing kings being spammed.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I'm around 3200 trophies and I see the complete opposite. I'd say 9 out of 10 games that I lose end with the crying/laughing kings being spammed.

I'm around 1900. Also playing in the NZ time zone, so mainly playing some US West Coasters, NZ, Aussie's, and a lot of Asians. Not sure if that makes a difference.

broz0rs

that explanation is flat out insulting people's intelligence imo.

the whole reason why emotes are crucial for this game is that once you've suffered a bitter defeat and the opponent rubs it in with a laughing or crying king, you want to play the next game with the intents of kicking ass. This is repeated often and is the reason why people are driven to get their decks better. These emotes amplify our competitive drive and thus why so many people play the game.

A lot of my friends who were addicted to CoC have dropped CR game because they can't handle the competitive aspects of the game. In other words, they couldn't take the emotes.

JoeNut

Anyone that gets so mad they stop playing because of a bloody emoji needs to take a good look in the mirror and think about what they're doing with their life lol

I was disappointed they didn't talk about other options for emotes:
e.g. being able to buy custom emotes with gems

The games I play (about 1600 trophy level) only 1 in 20 is the asshole. About 75% are silent. the other 25% either laugh or thumbs themselves at the end, or wish you good luck at the start and say well played.

I've also stopped getting losing streaks by simply not playing sequentially, and as a consequence I'm moving up and I'm more relaxed. Still player level 7 but always facing player 8 and stronger castles now.
If i get a lop-sided game - checking the post game stats often shows they have a much higher peak trophy count than I do, and stronger cards and stronger castle - I just stop.

Maximus P

Anyone that gets so mad they stop playing because of a bloody emoji needs to take a good look in the mirror and think about what they're doing with their life lol

Ive got used to them.

I am however annoyed by supercells blog/explanation of why they're keeping them.i don't think it was needed.

I actually think the problem with emojis is that there is no way to respond to people being ass holes. They say that they're a way of communicating in their blog yet you cant...not really. They need to add a facepalming king, a snoozing king and a eye rolling king so that you can respond to these ass holes.

Ive got used to them.

I am however annoyed by supercells blog/explanation of why they're keeping them.i don't think it was needed.

I actually think the problem with emojis is that there is no way to respond to people being ass holes. They say that they're a way of communicating in their blog yet you cant...not really. They need to add a facepalming king, a snoozing king and a eye rolling king so that you can respond to these ass holes.

It would be way easier to be an ass with those emotes. Winning? Snooze. Enemy misplay? Face palm or eye roll.

Maximus P

It would be way easier to be an ass with those emotes. Winning? Snooze. Enemy misplay? Face palm or eye roll.

Its easy to be an ass with every emote.

I've even had people spamming 'good luck' and 'thanks' at the end of matches.

The only way to fix it now would to be to limit the emojis to one each after the match ends. Your opponent wins and laughs? You can respond and he/she can't do a damn thing about it.

Anyway I better shut up making suggestions I wouldn't want supercell to release a 100 word blog on the game explaining why they can't add more emojis.

yatesl

Instead of raging at emotes now, I'm able to just take a breath and ignore it - especially if it's emote spam when they've won. Just don't even look at that part of the screen.

Of course, I'll happily spam "wow" when they put down a level 3 Ice Wizard, and if I'm feeling like a dick I'll spam the laugh emote if I roll them. Basically, I'm part of the problem.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I haven't played for a week, I'm free! Well, I bought some cannon cards yesterday.

hollomat

Banned
I hate that ice wizard resets the targeting of Royal giant (and any other target it hits). It's ridiculous on top of the freezing and area damage. Such an overpowered card for 3 elixir.

I run Ice Wiz all the time. It never forces the target to reset. I've done it so many times against RG and Hogs. They never get reset even with Cannons right next to them. I actually consciously place Cannon immediately before Ice Wiz if those are the only cards I have to defend against RG. It's not a great defense against RG but better than nothing.

I tried it just now against Trainer. His Mini Pekka didn't reset even if I shoved a Cannon or some other units on top. It still kept attacking the tower. If Ice Wiz attacks can reset its target you wouldn't see me complaining about Sparkies!

hollomat

Banned
I run Ice Wiz all the time. It never forces the target to reset. I've done it so many times against RG and Hogs. They never get reset even with Cannons right next to them. I actually consciously place Cannon immediately before Ice Wiz if those are the only cards I have to defend against RG. It's not a great defense against RG but better than nothing.

I tried it just now against Trainer. His Mini Pekka didn't reset even if I shoved a Cannon or some other units on top. It still kept attacking the tower. If Ice Wiz attacks can reset its target you wouldn't see me complaining about Sparkies!

You're right. Just watched the replay. It wasn't the ice wizard that reset it, but the zap he played after. I must have missed seeing the zap played during the game.

I still think ice wizard is overpowered for 3 elixir though. And I have one.

nampad

You're right. Just watched the replay. It wasn't the ice wizard that reset it, but the zap he played after. I must have missed seeing the zap played during the game.

I still think ice wizard is overpowered for 3 elixir though. And I have one.

Hey, you don't even use your ice mage at the moment :p
I prefer the princess to be honest.

commish

Ice mage is a very strong card. I do think it's a bit OP because it can single handedly stop so many attacks. However, I use princess a lot more. That princess poke can be brutal.

hollomat

Banned
Ice mage is a very strong card. I do think it's a bit OP because it can single handedly stop so many attacks. However, I use princess a lot more. That princess poke can be brutal.

Agreed. I have the 3 best legendaries, miner, princess and ice wizard (got lucky with chests and bought princess and ice wizard in store). Princess is the only one I'm currently using in my deck. She is such a useful unit. Basically a mobile version of arrows.

commish

Agreed. I have the 3 best legendaries, miner, princess and ice wizard (got lucky with chests and bought princess and ice wizard in store). Princess is the only one I'm currently using in my deck. She is such a useful unit. Basically a mobile version of arrows.

I wish we could easily share videos of matches. I had a match a day ago where my princess took a tower from full health down to 500 by herself. It was pretty glorious.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
After dropping a bunch last week, I've been on a roll the past couple of days and even unlocked Royal Giant(60 of them now) and Three Musketeers from my first few Arena 7 chests.

Haven't used either yet as I'm playing well with my Miner deck.

Stantron

New player here. Is it worth it to spend gold to upgrade low level units I am not actively playing so that I can gain the king points? My king level is currently at 4. Not sure if I should be saving gold for higher levels of my active units later on. Lack of gold funds seem to be what the clan comments section mentions a bit.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
New player here. Is it worth it to spend gold to upgrade low level units I am not actively playing so that I can gain the king points? My king level is currently at 4. Not sure if I should be saving gold for higher levels of my active units later on. Lack of gold funds seem to be what the clan comments section mentions a bit.

I would save gold for units you're using, and just donate/request as much as possible. I'd say the level of your cards is much more important than your king's level.

Yeah, just level what you normally use and constantly request/donate. Aim for higher arenas so you can request/donate more. Clans are basically for min maxing your assets.

Stantron

I would save gold for units you're using, and just donate/request as much as possible. I'd say the level of your cards is much more important than your king's level.

Cool. Thanks for the tips. I'm still gradually making progress leveling units from the starting deck. I'll stick with that.

Yeah, just level what you normally use and constantly request/donate. Aim for higher arenas so you can request/donate more. Clans are basically for min maxing your assets.
Yup, been donating/requesting every time it's available. Strength in numbers. :)

if I were to spent $50

should I buy a magical chest+30k gold

or 100k gold+I don't know, magical chest?

With $50 you can get about 15 of the giant chests, which give you almost 1.5k with each chest. That's 22.5k gold right there if you open all of them, plus you'll make huge progress with the leveling of your commons. That's what I would do

Top Bottom