• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I keep wanting to move away from Royal Giant, but his ability to take down that second tower is just too strong.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Someone tell me how to run a royal giant deck. I have some leveled up from my brief stints in arena 7 but have been losing my ass with giant/balloon lately. I tried using royal giant a little bit but I have no idea how to support him or what a good deck comp is around him.

Just got the Royal destructor....

Opened my lvl 7 Giant Chest: 1 witch (nice) 237 ROYAL ( LVL 8 RG) 24 fireball...from lvl 3 to 5..

Never played with it..is this deck good?

Minions
Stab Gob
Barb
Royal Pain
Musketeeeer
Arrows
Valk
Spear Gob

can this deck work?

My Rare are lvl 5 (not close to 6)
Commons are 7 (close to 8 most of them) Only Barbarians are lvl 8

any other ideas?

I was using a Hog-Poison deck to some succes....got to 1950-2000 trophys with lvl 7 commons, 5 rare...

Future

Yeesh lava hound/balloon + giant is seriously screwing me over

Neogaf elite still recruiting btw

I still do the strategy of ignoring the lava hound as long as possible while pushing the other lane hard. But yeah, unless you have a deck designed to counter with lots of air hitters and a building or two, it seems really hard to stop. Anything you drop targets the hound and giant with the baloon untouched

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I still do the strategy of ignoring the lava hound as long as possible while pushing the other lane hard. But yeah, unless you have a deck designed to counter with lots of air hitters and a building or two, it seems really hard to stop. Anything you drop targets the hound and giant with the baloon untouched

People are running Minion Horde with the Lava Hound against me and I sometimes find myself using Arrow against the Horde, completely forgetting about the little Lava Pups.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
People are running Minion Horde with the Lava Hound against me and I sometimes find myself using Arrow against the Horde, completely forgetting about the little Lava Pups.

Try and find a way to fit fire spirits in your deck. 2 lixer and it completely obliterates the 5 elixer mini horde (among other things, like barbs). Fire spirits is the new skeleton IMO. So much value for the cost.

Try and find a way to fit fire spirits in your deck. 2 lixer and it completely obliterates the 5 elixer mini horde (among other things, like barbs). Fire spirits is the new skeleton IMO. So much value for the cost.

yeah I said that a while ago its very useful and so cheap. great against minion horde, but its also good as a lone defense against hog rider who only gets off like two hits against the tower after getting jumped by fire spirits, and if you can sneak them to the opposing tower, they are good there too.
The key with the fire spirits is to place them somewhere safe so they don't get killed or splashed before they can leap. Eg aren't much good against baby dragon unless baby dragon is otherwise occupied. They are useless if you spawn them into an existing fight.

TheExodu5

Banned

Fire Spirit is one of my favorite cards, but it's also very punishable with zap. It's good to have other aoe as well just in case.

Sushen

What is a good Lava Hound deck? I recently got one from the crown chest, but haven't figured out how to use it effectively. With 7 elixir cost, if the opponent has a decent air defense, it's a struggle. Arrows will just kill all my puppies, too.

I'm not sure if the Lava Hound is worthy of the "legendary" label.

zoukka

What is a good Lava Hound deck? I recently got one from the crown chest, but haven't figured out how to use it effectively. With 7 elixir cost, if the opponent has a decent air defense, it's a struggle. Arrows will just kill all my puppies, too.

I think you need at least pump and balloon with him. Throw in a minidragon for giggles.

JoeNut

if i had it i'd use Pump, balloon, giant and a defensive tower + cheap stuff for defense

Once you get hound down with balloon it's hard to stop. lots of people seem to throw rage down too

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Any advice for taking down a balloon / giant combo?

I have musk, minions, and spear goblins in my deck, so usually have one or two things I can get down quickly against the balloon. But I can never seem to get them to reliably target the balloon which I want to take down first, ideally before it gets to the tower and does that huge damage.

Whether I place units in front of or behind the drop of a giant / balloon combo, they just always seem to target the giant :/

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews

I'm running a Lava Hound deck with Barbarians, minions, spear gobs, Baby dragon, musketteer, fire spirits and arrows. I'm currently tilting in the 2300—2500 range.

commish

I have musk, minions, and spear goblins in my deck, so usually have one or two things I can get down quickly against the balloon. But I can never seem to get them to reliably target the balloon which I want to take down first, ideally before it gets to the tower and does that huge damage.

Whether I place units in front of or behind the drop of a giant / balloon combo, they just always seem to target the giant :/

It's hard to stop, but keep in mind that the combo is, what, 10 elixir? That's 10 elixir of units that can't attack anything but towers. You have to push the other side so your opponent never has that 10 mana to spend, and if they do, you need make them pay by attacking other side. If you have an ice wizard, it can help slow them down.

broz0rs

It's hard to stop, but keep in mind that the combo is, what, 10 elixir? That's 10 elixir of units that can't attack anything but towers. You have to push the other side so your opponent never has that 10 mana to spend, and if they do, you need make them pay by attacking other side. If you have an ice wizard, it can help slow them down.

the big problem in attacking the other lane against Giant Balloon is that there's probably nothing that can beat it in a base race.

but basically, if you don't use decent ranged units like Musketeer, you're screwed. If you do have them, play them immediately to kill the Giant first. I can usually take it down before it reaches the tower, and the balloon will pop immediately without the Giant. That set-ups a massive counter push with all the units already in play.

Other than that, Inferno is the ultimate counter to it.

JackDT

Any cheap building to draw both into the center and in range of both towers. Otherwise focus on efficiently pushing the other lane and making your counter attack in the same lane efficient, which it should be since the giant / balloon won't kill your units.

If you're really crafty you can trying baiting it into the King tower:

jlzDk7p.jpg

commish

the big problem in attacking the other lane against Giant Balloon is that there's probably nothing that can beat it in a base race.

but basically, if you don't use decent ranged units like Musketeer, you're screwed. If you do have them, play them immediately to kill the Giant first. I can usually take it down before it reaches the tower, and the balloon will pop immediately without the Giant. That set-ups a massive counter push with all the units already in play.

Other than that, Inferno is the ultimate counter to it.

Yeah - if you use inferno, then that makes a big difference. You're not going to beat them to the other side, but if you let them pour every elixir they have into the attack, it's nearly impossible to stop.

Agreed that you're screwed if you don't have good anti-air. I would imagine that minion horde would stop that in its tracks, but you only have a few seconds before your opponent has 3 elixir needed for arrows. Musketeer is a card I need to use more often.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah - if you use inferno, then that makes a big difference. You're not going to beat them to the other side, but if you let them pour every elixir they have into the attack, it's nearly impossible to stop.

Agreed that you're screwed if you don't have good anti-air. I would imagine that minion horde would stop that in its tracks, but you only have a few seconds before your opponent has 3 elixir needed for arrows. Musketeer is a card I need to use more often.

There are so many counters against horde though that they might drop behind a giant and you get shafted. Wizard is my pet hate, but also ice wizard, witch, arrows, fireball, another horde, sparks.

What's the best Defense against a valk? I switched from knight to barbs and shredded by a valk

LiQuid!

As a giant/balloon abuser I'm getting a kick out of this discussion.

I still lose all the time

broz0rs

What's the best Defense against a valk? I switched from knight to barbs and shredded by a valk

Like against all ground units, 3 elixir minions is a no-brainer. I find most players are reluctant to use their arrows on it. But your original choice of Knight is actually good against it since it's lower cost so you can have it backed up by cheap ranged units.

hollomat

Banned
Like against all ground units, 3 elixir minions is a no-brainer. I find most players are reluctant to use their arrows on it. But your original choice of Knight is actually good against it since it's lower cost so you can have it backed up by cheap ranged units.

Currently have minion horde in my deck, but feel like it's the card I get the least out of. There's way too many counters to it that allow the opponent to get an exiled advantage (arrows, zap, princess, ice wizard, fireball, wizard.

I might switch it out for regular minions and see if I get better results.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Any cheap building to draw both into the center and in range of both towers. Otherwise focus on efficiently pushing the other lane and making your counter attack in the same lane efficient, which it should be since the giant / balloon won't kill your units.

I do think I need to work in a cannon somewhere. I have no buildings currently. Running knight, valk, giant, spears, musk, arrows, fireball, minions currently. Knight is probably the one to go which is a pity because he is a versatile card for either attack or defense that can take a lot of damage.

Cannon would buy me the time to take down both. And would probably be useful against hog decks too.

Most of what I am seeing in Arena 7 is giant/balloon, hog/freeze/rage/poison, and the occasional lava hound build, so a cannon would be good against all in slowing their progress to the tower.

JackDT

I do think I need to work in a cannon somewhere. I have no buildings currently. Running knight, valk, giant, spears, musk, arrows, fireball, minions currently. Knight is probably the one to go which is a pity because he is a versatile card for either attack or defense that can take a lot of damage.

Cannon would buy me the time to take down both. And would probably be useful against hog decks too.

Most of what I am seeing in Arena 7 is giant/balloon, hog/freeze/rage/poison, and the occasional lava hound build, so a cannon would be good against all in slowing their progress to the tower.

Yeah every deck doesn't need a building, but if you're playing a deck without one you should really know what you are doing and be ready with alternative ways to deal with not having the ability to distract building only units. And sometimes that way will be a base race or whatever.

My favorite quick opposite lane push is valk + golbins behind so they push the valk up to the tower faster. Preferably dropped with two fingers at once. If you catch your opponent with 0 mana it's usually a free tower unless they have skeles or zap ready, and even people with mana tend to underestimate how fast it takes it down. Then you still lose the other lane but have units alive for a counter push, and end up ahead by about half a tower.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Yeah every deck doesn't need a building, but if you're playing a deck without one you should really know what you are doing and be ready with alternative ways to deal with not having the ability to distract building only units. And sometimes that way will be a base race or whatever.

Yeah, I've mostly been effective with my deck and week to week hit a new high trophy count. I've never used a building and have only really tweaked my deck once.

Opponents that lean me towards defeat in matchups are an opponent who is a level higher, an opponent who (surprises me and) uses balloon/giant on attack, and an opponent who uses inferno tower on defense. Having 2 or 3 of those against me usually spells defeat.

Outside of that, I'm capable against most opponents. Or at the very least even if I lose I can see how I could have won.

My favorite quick opposite lane push is valk + golbins behind so they push the valk up to the tower faster. Preferably dropped with two fingers at once. If you catch your opponent with 0 mana it's usually a free tower unless they have skeles or zap ready, and even people with mana tend to underestimate how fast it takes it down. Then you still lose the other lane but have units alive for a counter push, and end up ahead by about half a tower.

Yes, I'm a fan of the valk/spears counterpush. Valk is a great tank for the cost, and if you get all 3 goblins within range their supplemental damage starts adding up really quick.

I think one thing that has really served me well with my deck is knowing when to abandon trying to defend a tower. If its on its last legs, then not over-committing and focusing on attack or a counter lane push becomes more important.

Also, approaching that same idea from the opposite angle, if I knock a tower down to health within the damage of a single fireball (or fireball plus arrows), I'll usually switch up to the opposite tower, hopefully catching the opponent off guard. Especially true if its less than 100 health. That way I can opportunistically throw spears, arrows, and/or fireball at it to finish it off at any time before the timer runs out which is incredibly hard to defend against.

Taking a more strategic approach has really helped through area 6 and into arena 7.

UFO

Banned
How important is it to upgrade the elixir pump? I noticed that it only upgrade the hitpoints, so is it detrimental to play a low lvl pump?

hollomat

Banned
How important is it to upgrade the elixir pump? I noticed that it only upgrade the hitpoints, so is it detrimental to play a low lvl pump?

Not at all. I'm around 3500 trophies and my elixir pump is still lvl 6. Prioritize other cards.

broz0rs

It helps, but it should probably be your lowest priority on your deck because it is just an hp boost. Fireball and Miner can make an elixir pump be useless if the hp on it is low.

Mistouze

I'm running a Lava Hound deck with Barbarians, minions, spear gobs, Baby dragon, musketteer, fire spirits and arrows. I'm currently tilting in the 2300—2500 range.
Well, just got a miner in a gold chest. Feels good man, trying out swapping the spear gobs in the above deck with Miner. It brings it at 3.9 elixir avg. What do you think of it? Any cool deck combining those two legendaries? No elixir pump is a plus in my book.

I am stuck at 2k trophys. My hog Poison deck is too low lvl

I don't know how to used Royal Giant...

my lvl 8 commons are:

Barbs-RG
Stab Goblins

rest is lvl 7 and all my are are lvl 5...far from lvl 6:(

Any decks suggestions with RGiant?

I can upgraded with to lvl 3 if needed...

JoeNut

RG just needs a fireball to counter the inevitable barbs/minions that drop on him IMO.

I had someone use Sparky and Furnace combo today, the inferno spirit things backing him up made it impossible to counter. I will be using this!

Neogaf Elite recruiting as always :)

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I have no problem countering RG thanks to my Inferno Tower, Sparky is a bitch to counter without zap though, and I almost always lose against one.

Lexxism

I lol'd at the new updating coming for skeleton army. They added 1. Yeah, just 1 on the army. It's probably the one removed from the skeletons.

Agent

New Balance Changes coming 7/4: https://clashroyale.com/blog/release-notes/balance-changes-coming-7-4

Note: These changes are not live yet! They're coming on 7/4.

The way we approach card balance in Clash Royale is a combination of playtesting and looking at the stats - in particular, card use rates and win rates. You can expect monthly balance changes to keep gameplay fine tuned and as fun as possible.

In this round of balance changes we’re taking a look at some of the lesser used cards and giving the Goblin Barrel a significant boost!

Skeleton Army: Skeleton count increased to 21 (from 20)
We found him! The missing 4th Skeleton joined the army.

Goblin Barrel: Elixir cost decreased to 3 (from 4), Goblin deploy time increased to 1.2sec (from 1sec), removed impact damage
Our previous change didn’t hit the mark, so we’re trying something a bit wilder! 3 Elixir puts the Goblin Barrel on par with the Miner for surprise attacks and value, while still remaining counterable by Arrows, Zap or Fire Spirits.

Giant Skeleton: Damage increased by 20% (doesn’t affect Death Damage)
Getting to the enemy’s tower is quite challenging for the Giant Skeleton - as it should be - but at least with this change he’ll be one-shotting Goblins on the way.

Dark Prince: Damage increased by 8%
Until our last round of changes, the Dark Prince dealt half as much damage as the Prince. This change brings his value back in line with his golden brother.

Bomber: Damage increased by 9%
Despite a few boosts already, the Bomber hasn’t seen a big uptake in usage at the top. Extra damage will make him even more deadly and hopefully a compelling choice again.

Wizard: Attack speed increased to 1.6sec (from 1.7sec)
A faster attack speed should increase the Wizard’s value when compared to his more attractive cousin, the Ice Wizard.

Inferno Tower: Hitpoints increased by 6%
In the next update, Zap and Freeze will both reset the Inferno Tower’s damage. We’re giving the Inferno Tower some more hitpoints to compensate for this, and for its low use rates.

Elixir Collector: Now affected by slowing and speed up effects (Poison, Freeze, Zap, Rage, Ice Wizard)
The Elixir Collector has very high use rates. It hasn’t been affected by slowing or speed up effects (until now: 7/4), so this change will tone it down a little bit and also bring consistency with the Inferno Tower change above.

Tombstone: Hitpoints increased by 9%
The Tombstone has tough competition as a 3 Elixir defensive option, resulting in low use rates. Extra hitpoints should make it more appealing and an interesting alternative to the Cannon.

Bomb Tower: Hitpoints increased by 6%
The Bomb Tower is seen extremely rarely at the top, but has a pretty good showing in the early to mid levels. A small hitpoint increase should make it more relevant and interesting in the high Arenas, without overpowering it in the low Arenas.

commish

All of those changes seem pretty tame. One of my favorite and most used cards, the wizard, is getting a buff, which is nice. Everything else won't change anything, except perhaps the elixir collector change. Seems like poison will be even more useful. I should work that back in my deck.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
That makes 2 sets of wide reaching balance changes in a row where none of the cards in my deck received a buff :(

Inferno Tower is getting a buff for me, but a bunch of cards that people use to support Sparky and Royal Giant are getting buffed, so it doesn't really matter.

LiQuid!

Yeah I don't use any of those cards either but I guess it's better than last update where all the best cards got shit on.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Inferno tower is also getting a pretty big nerf. Zap now resets it.

That's right, good point.

I'm going to be fucked against Royal Giant now, and my deck already can't handle Sparky. The Skeleton Army "buff" is pretty pointless considering the buffs they've already given, and are continuing to give crowd control units.

Alur

I see it all the time. Not really sure if it's worth or not. It's more annoying than anything in my personal experience.

Mistouze

I see it all the time. Not really sure if it's worth or not. It's more annoying than anything in my personal experience.
If my calculations are right, I'm ok elixir wise if I shave off half of the elixir pump's life. So far that's approx what I've been able to shave of the pump with the miner. Bonus points if the opponent is forced into dropping something to kill the miner.

EDIT : Didn't see it discussed here but Supercell put out two articles teasing what's coming in the tournament update (Part1, Part2).

Tournaments are going to cost gems to create (wonder if participants will be able to chip in) and they're going to reward people ranked above average Tournament Chests, looking forward a Gaf Tournament and get wrecked by peeps in Legendary arena :p

JoeNut

That makes 2 sets of wide reaching balance changes in a row where none of the cards in my deck received a buff :(

Man i already thought Bomber was awesome and they've buffed him again.

really annoyed about the time changing again on Goblin barrel, ive just upgraded him to level 4 and it's kicking arse, even if it's cheaper this nerf will make it all but useless i think.

I'm really liking furnace, at level 6 it's spirits are good enough to do a lot of damage to minion horde, and help back up a push against both air and ground units.

Neogaf Elite recruiting as always :)

LiQuid!

If my calculations are right, I'm ok elixir wise if I shave off half of the elixir pump's life. So far that's approx what I've been able to shave of the pump with the miner. Bonus points if the opponent is forced into dropping something to kill the miner.

EDIT : Didn't see it discussed here but Supercell put out two articles teasing what's coming in the tournament update (Part1, Part2).

Tournaments are going to cost gems to create (wonder if participants will be able to chip in) and they're going to reward people ranked above average Tournament Chests, looking forward a Gaf Tournament and get wrecked by peeps in Legendary arena :p
Are they going to standardize unit levels the way they do in regular tournaments? Otherwise who would willingly join a tournament in this shit game?

Mistouze

Are they going to standardize unit levels the way they do in regular tournaments? Otherwise who would willingly join a tournament in this shit game?
Yup, if I understand the wording, tournament rules will apply : crown lvl 9, leg lvl1, epic lvl 4, rare lvl 7 and common lvl 9 with 3 min overtime.

Top Bottom