• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

zoukka

Lumberjack stats make him seem like a Mini Pekka replacement. You get the health and DPS of Mini Pekka but with added rage on death.

My deck is based around versatile giant pushes, so Log will work against me there. Might be useful in my deck but not sure what I'd swap out.

His stats aren't even near minipekka. Closer to Knight (less hp, more damage). So he doesn't fit in as a minipekka replacement.

If you're in legendary arena, you'll get one legendary a month on average (obviously some people get more and others get less). For arenas below its slower than one a month, but nowhere near a year (maybe if you're in arena 4).

I've been playing since the global launch in March and have received 3 legendaries from chests.

I started playing with 2 friends right after beta. We're all very active and in royal arena.
We haven't spent anything and haven't gotten any legendaries. Two supermagical chests so far, so 0.6 supermagicals per person in almost 6 months.

Maybe we all just have bad luck, but getting a legendary seems way to unlikely for F2P players in my opinion and buying a supermagical chests costs around 30€ and its not even a safe bet for a legendary.

sackninja

I started playing with 2 friends right after beta. We're all very active and in royal arena.
We haven't spent anything and haven't gotten any legendaries. Two supermagical chests so far, so 0.6 supermagicals per person in almost 6 months.

Maybe we all just have bad luck, but getting a legendary seems way to unlikely for F2P players in my opinion and buying a supermagical chests costs around 30€ and its not even a safe bet for a legendary.

I would say almost half if not more of the arena 7 or 8 players in the gaf clan I am in have legendaries. I got one in a free chest and have never gotten a super magical.

Agent

Next Sneak Peak is all about Tournaments.

Here is a video explaining them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mcoVR_ExVc

Summary:
-You can spectate tournament games from any tournament, not just the one you’re playing in.
-The biggest Tournament Chests contain guaranteed Legendary Cards
-Tournaments tab has all open tournaments listed with the host location so you can join ones close to where you are for time zone purposes.
-9 Tournament sizes available.
  • 500 Gems - up to 50 players; 50 cards reward
  • 1000 Gems - up to 80 players; 60 cards reward
  • 2000 Gems - up to 120 players; 120 cards reward
  • 5000 Gems - up to 200 players; 300 cards reward
  • 10,000 Gems - up to 300 players; 600 cards reward
  • 20,000 Gems - up to 500 players; 1200 cards reward
  • 50,000 Gems - up to 600 players; 3000 cards reward
  • 100,000 Gems - up to 800 players; 6000 cards reward
  • 250,000 Gems - up to 1000 players; 15,000 cards reward
-You set Length / Preparation time when creating a tournament. Fastest tournaments can be 1 hour.
-You earn gold for winning in a tournament match
-3 new achievements related to tournaments.

hollomat

Banned
The deck I currently use has gotten me to 3600, but I don't think it would work well at tournament levels. Depending on how prevalent tournaments are, I may need to make a second tournament deck.

250000 gems for the biggest tourney?

Sheesh. You can only buy 14k for $100. That means it'll cost like...2500oish dollars to make a huge tournament?

Cleared out some spots in GAF Royale #Q8C9CY no need to post here just put your GAF name in the request. I'll be hosting a clan tourney once the update is live. Very excited for this update.

rog3r

Neo Member
I think I've reached a wall. I can't get any higher than 2200 trophies. I then start losing again. What do you all suggest?

Hey Dom, i'm in exactly the same situation as you are. Just sent a request to a GAF clan, hoping the chat will help me develop some new strats

hollomat

Banned
I think I've reached a wall. I can't get any higher than 2200 trophies. I then start losing again. What do you all suggest?

If you post your deck we can give you some ideas. Also as already mentioned, it's much easier to lvl commons than rares and much easier to lvl rares than epics. A deck made up of numerous commons is much easier to lvl. It takes the same equivalent of cards (1000 commons vs 100 rares) to get a common from 10 to 11 that it takes to get a rare from 6 to 7. I run 5 commons in my deck.

I'm running:

Mini Pekka
Goblins
Goblin Hut
Archers
Hog Rider
Zap
Bomber
Baby Dragon

I think in the world of zap goblin hut is very weak at A7/8. You usually hope they push against it with a tank to develop a lot of units for cheap but a zap clears that instantly. I think bomber and baby dragon are also weak in this meta. Baby dragon is close to the weakest epic in the game right now and archers aren't seen at top tier play. I think that playing hog requires either a cycle or nothing at all right now. I would maybe drop the hog and add a tank if you're set on what you have currently.

Dont run a hut unless you plan on running barb hut too~
There are strong Royal giant decks that run gob hut and elixir collector so you are constantly gaining elixir value and always have something more or less passive to play but i think hut decks aren't made for pushing to A8

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

Same but I've just come to accept that I've simply reached my skill wall. Some games I feel like the opponent's deck has been a perfect counter to mine, but I'd say most I lose at this level I've just been outplayed.

The starting hand sets the tone too. Sometimes I'll load into a game with nothing but counter cards.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
His stats aren't even near minipekka. Closer to Knight (less hp, more damage). So he doesn't fit in as a minipekka replacement.

?

Mini PEKKA
600-1536 hp
180-462 DPS
Fast speed
4 elixir cost

Knight
660-2039hp
68-210 DPS
Medium speed
3 elixir cost

Lumberjack
900-1314 hp
236-344 DPS
Fast speed
4 elixir cost

Seems a lot closer to Mini PEKKA than Knight to me on basis of hp, DPS, and speed.

I use a Knight in my deck and don't think I'd replace him with Lumberjack.

hollomat

Banned
Just did a weekly clean out of GAF (#QYYQCQ). We're at 38/50 so got lots of space. Just post you're from GAF in the request.

We're at 24500 trophies and 12000 donations for the week so very active.

UFO

Banned
Hey guys, I'm going to put a second mortgage on my house to start a 1,000 player tourney, who wants in?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
There's plenty of things to complain about with this game, the cost of setting up a 1,000 player tournament is really not one of them. Any organization actually hosting a tournament that large would likely have no problem spending a couple thousand to organize it.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Sooooo if every players from gaf clans participate in a tourney, the 80 players one should be sufficient right?

Alur

There's at least three active GAF clans I know of. GAF, GAF Royale, and GAF Elite. All tend to have at least ~40+ people in em so /shrug.

nampad

Fuck two more legendaries. It takes almost a year on average for an active player to just get one... This basically just benefits players who are willing to spend a lot of money.

I know I am super lucky but for I got several legendaries as a F2P gamer.

Started my main 1 month after the global release and it has 2 legendaries. My second account was started like 5 weeks ago and has 3.

There's plenty of things to complain about with this game, the cost of setting up a 1,000 player tournament is really not one of them. Any organization actually hosting a tournament that large would likely have no problem spending a couple thousand to organize it.

What about friends who just want to have fun? 500 gems is costly. I think many would be fine with a free tournament withot any prizes.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
So the new update is live and every new tournament seems instantly full :/

Also, the balance changes only went live with this update? I thought I was doing well against changes that only disadvantaged me. I guess I have a few days of pain ahead, right when I was a few dozen trophies under the new arena :(

I've been playing since iOS beta. One legendary, zero SMCs.

I'm still not wholly convinced matchmaking isn't rigged. I went on a long winstreak yesterday, then on a losing streak today. I lost against equal level decks, which was fine. What's not fine is that the cards I need were always close to last pick. Rush decks that opened with hog/prince/etc? Started with huts, Zap and Poison. Two Sparky decks in a row? Zap was dead last in both on them.

I still dislike fighting Sparkies even if I can handle them. The punishment for a slight mistake, and the attention it demands is way too much.

Ninja Dom

Same but I've just come to accept that I've simply reached my skill wall. Some games I feel like the opponent's deck has been a perfect counter to mine, but I'd say most I lose at this level I've just been outplayed.

The starting hand sets the tone too. Sometimes I'll load into a game with nothing but counter cards.

Yeah the starting hand of mine has been so poor in some games against other players starting hand that they've wrecked my King Tower in a minute. That feels terrible when that happens.

Fred-87

Ugh this tournament format is a real dissapointment. I wished for a knock out system with a groupe stage first. This way everyone plays atleast a few matche because of groupe stages but then later in the knock out fase it gets more exciting. This is not such fun and exciting. Also not fair. For example i just won 4 times in a row. 1 draw. 2 losts against the top 3. and im at place 17 again. Doesnt feel fair because i play better then ranked 17. Just got unlucky drawing against the top 2. Especially because i drawed against the number 1. so it feels like i play better then im ranked.

hollomat

Banned
This tournament feature seems so poorly thought out. I can't believe they launched without a way to let you search only for open tournaments that have yet to begin.

Getting into an open tournament just seems like luck. I've seen a few but by the time I click join they are all full.

Ninja Dom

This tournament feature seems so poorly thought out. I can't believe they launched without a way to let you search only for open tournaments that have yet to begin.

Getting into an open tournament just seems like luck. I've seen a few but by the time I click join they are all full.

Exactly that!!

I've seen one tournament with 49 open slots, but it finishes in one hour. What's the point in that? I can't commit to it as I have to go out but I suppose it could have been an easy tourney to win.

Anyway, why isn't there a filter for open tournaments?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I've seen one tournament with 49 open slots, but it finishes in one hour. What's the point in that? I can't commit to it as I have to go out but I suppose it could have been an easy tourney to win.

Well, the way tournaments work, they encourage persistent battling throughout the length of the tournament. If you only compete intermittently, you'll fall behind because of the way the scoring works.

A 12 hour tournament will advantage those who play all 12 hours.

In any case, I did my first tournament and finished 14th, winning 8 cards, 1 of which is a rare. Of course, there is a 4 hour wait on the chest open and I can't enter more tournaments in the mean time (with a fast unlock for gems of course).

Anyway, why isn't there a filter for open tournaments?

Seems like a big oversight, but will see how things work out after a couple of days and things settle down.

Ninja Dom

Well, the way tournaments work, they encourage persistent battling throughout the length of the tournament. If you only compete intermittently, you'll fall behind because of the way the scoring works.

In any case, I did my first tournament and finished 14th, winning 8 cards, 1 of which is a rare. Of course, there is a 4 hour wait on the chest open and I can't enter more tournaments in the mean time (with a fast unlock for gems of course).

Seems like a big oversight, but will see how things work out after a couple of days and things settle down.

Ah I understand. So a 1 hour tourney can actually be beneficial as it only means constant battling for 1 hour. That can work for me and the times I play the game.

Okay, so there's a 4 hour unlock time on the chests that you win? Is that for all tourney sizes? And while it's unlocking you can't enter any more tourneys?

hollomat

Banned

Completely agree. Just finished my first tournament in 2nd place. The only way to finish that high is to play battles the entire time. Fortunately it was only 1 hour, no way I'd do a 2 hour or 3 hour for that few cards.

I went 15-3 and it's mainly just because I was facing a bunch of opponents with cards below tournament decks. My deck is great for normal battles, but isn't great at tournament levels. I'll probably switch to a miner deck if I dedice to play an tournaments again.

Brackets would be very tough to implement in random tournaments, but the way it should work is similar to arena mode in hearthstone. You pay 50 or 100 gems and keep going until you have 3 losses. You'll play someone who has made it as far as you (i.e. If you have 3 wins 0 losses you face someone with 3 wins 0 losses). Keep going until you hit 3 losses or 20 wins. The current system just rewards whoever plays the most.

I could have the greatest deck and go undefeated but if the tournament is 5 hours, whoever plays the most of those 5 hours will probably win it.

Also it seems very easy to game the system. One of the people who beat me he a hut deck with rockets which my deck is really weak against. I deliberately waited until he was in a match before searching so I wouldn't be matched against him again.

Matush

Get anything good?
Will get back to you in 10 minutes, my chest (with 15 cards) is still opening.

EDIT: Well, I got like 90 gold, 1 Ice Spirit, 3 Hogs and 11 Goblins, I won around 10 matches, ended with approx 270 trophies, not sure if its worthwhile if prizes are like this.

Maximus P

Not played someone the same level as me for 2 weeks ...im low level 8 and i only face level 9s and 10s..maybe I'm over achieving...but I'm in arena 6 now and still the onslaught of 9s and 10s continues.

Id love to know how the matchmaking works, I really would.

Agent

I messed up on making a tournament this morning and accidentally made an 8 hour one. It ends in about 2 hours (2pm eastern time) if anyone wants to join and get some free cards. Next time I'll pay closer attention to the settings. :p

Quote this post for the info.

Dazzler

Seriously bummed out they removed Elixir Overcharge, it was a solid strat

Taking a look at Gob barrel, update makes it way more appealing. Also first game at Frozen Peak I got a magic chest :)

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
What about friends who just want to have fun? 500 gems is costly. I think many would be fine with a free tournament withot any prizes.

You can have a friendly tournament with friends by making the brackets yourselves and playing friendly matches. Or, if you'd rather not do the work yourself, you can split the cost of 500 gems (5 dollars) among friends and have prizes included. It's not a big deal.

I still dislike fighting Sparkies even if I can handle them. The punishment for a slight mistake, and the attention it demands is way too much.

This so much. I can't tell you the number of times I've dropped Barbs perfectly only for the game to lag for a second and then it's game over. Literally no room for error sometimes against Sparky and it's incredibly frustrating to say the least. Especially because the Giant+Sparky+Wizard combo is SO hard to counter, and rushing the other lane in this case still won't usually result in victory.

Will get back to you in 10 minutes, my chest (with 15 cards) is still opening.

EDIT: Well, I got like 90 gold, 1 Ice Spirit, 3 Hogs and 11 Goblins, I won around 10 matches, ended with approx 270 trophies, not sure if its worthwhile if prizes are like this.

Yeah, the tournaments are a lot of fun but they are a lot of work for ehhh rewards. For a 1 hour tournament I got up to about 330 trophies and took 2nd place, so I'll be getting about 30 cards. Seems like a good place to test new decks and what not though.

nampad

You can have a friendly tournament with friends by making the brackets yourselves and playing friendly matches. Or, if you'd rather not do the work yourself, you can split the cost of 500 gems (5 dollars) among friends and have prizes included. It's not a big deal.

You can only do that when you are in the same clan.

So I see a couple Neogaf tournaments are going on, with tons of open slots, but they're password protected. Are these meant only for members of gaf clans? If not, can someone post the passwords?

Future

Can't join any tournaments cuz they are all full. So I spectators a few of the top players in a bunch

Ice wizard and miner city. Goddamn so many legendaries. How much are people paying

zoukka

Got third place in my first tourney.

Tournaments are not worth your time resource-wise. The reward was like a golden chest or worse.

It's a cool community tool especially for streamers doe.

Top Bottom