• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

hollomat

Banned
Since playing my first and only tournament within a couple of hours of them opening up with the update, I have felt zero compulsion to play another one, even a short one hour tournament.

Given you have to play the whole time to stay in the rewards bracket, it just doesn't seem like there is an adequate return on them relative to card requests, free chests, and regular crown chest and ladder play. Not to mention regular ladder play feels more "fair" in the matchmaking.

I guess I might play an hour tournament if I'm stuck for something to do on a weekend, or want to grind some gold. But outside of that, I think I'll opt out.

Agreed. I've played in 3 tournaments now, two 50 person and one 80 person. The 50 person tournaments were 1 hour and the 80 person was 2 hours.

For the 50 person ones I played 20 games each hour (none of the games went to overtime and some were over really fast) and went 18-2 both times. Came in 2nd in the first tournament and 1st in the 2nd tournament, but only by 3 points.

For the 80 person I played non stop the first hour and a half and went 28-2. I was ahead by 70 trophies and didn't want to risk losing them. Fortunately this worked and I won.

For first place in the 80 man tournament I got a 60 chest which had 2 epics and 12 rares. For first place in the 50 man tournament I got a 30 chest which had 1 epic and 6 rares.

The trophies definitely don't seem worth it and the tournaments are easy to game. In the games I lost, the opponents had great counters to my deck. Rather than waste precious time crafting a deck to counter theirs (which might be countered by another opponent), I just made sure to only search for matches when those opponents were already in games.

I don't even understand how you guys are getting into tournaments. It's infuriating.

My strategy is I hit the search button at the top, look for an orange tournament (means it hasn't started) and click it and click join, before even reading the number of players or time. If I get in, I check the time of the tournament. If it's over an hour, I'll leave the tournament and find another one that is one hour. I honestly don't think it's worth the effort for a one hour 50 person tournament even if you come in first. It definitely isn't worth it for anything longer than that.

However I expect the number of tournaments to really dry up over the next couple of days. All the tournaments now are happening because if you get refunded the 500 gem cost of your first 50 person tournament. Without the gems being refunded, I can't imagine people would pay 500 gems for a tournament, at least not for an open one.

Edit: Also the chests have arena 9 on them. So they might be even worse at lower lvls.

JDdelphin

This notification shit needs somehow to be turned off. My phone is nonstop buzzing w notifications

What kind of phone do you have?

Can you not just shut notifications off from your app manager if it's not available in-app?

I literally just did this a few minutes ago as it was becoming insane and I wantes to go to sleep :p

The loss of 'ooooh free treasure chest get!' and all other fairly useless notifications is a small price to pay for not being reminded 'TOURNAMENT BATTLE. PLAY TOURNAMENT BATTLE. HEY. TOURNAMENT BATTLE.' every sixty seconds or so....

JoeNut

Yeah this is not the update I expected, I was thinking knock out style or something

Neogaf Elite still recruiting new members :)

nampad

Yeah this is not the update I expected, I was thinking knock out style or something

Neogaf Elite still recruiting new members :)

What about low level (and not super active) members? My gf just started and I would also move one of my accounts over there.

JoeNut

Everyone is welcome, anyone on 0 donations at the end of the week is kicked however, but just a few here and there is enough to stay

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Heh, Supercell put out an update to fix the issue of creating a tournament broadcasting your localization. Nice.

Sushen

Heh, Supercell put out an update to fix the issue of creating a tournament broadcasting your localization. Nice.
Probably to hide another bug. I get tournaments from Peru and Columbia which are thousands of miles away from me. It's either the game is unpopular or the search is broken.

hollomat

Banned
Probably to hide another bug. I get tournaments from Peru and Columbia which are thousands of miles away from me. It's either the game is unpopular or the search is broken.

Everyone who wanted to buy gems to put on their first tournament for "free" has already done so. The majority of tournaments now will be paid for out of pocket and there really is no reason to do that unless it's for a twitch or YouTube stream, or a private clan match which will be locked.

Finally deleted the app. It's a fantastic game underneath a crappy business model which is a bit of a shame. I'll probably check in on it in a few weeks/months and will remember it fondly but man, I've never seen a meta game/business model so intent on making you feel like crap until it dishes out just enough pleasure to keep you coming back for more. It's devilishly perfect

Ninja Dom

Finally deleted the app. It's a fantastic game underneath a crappy business model which is a bit of a shame. I'll probably check in on it in a few weeks/months and will remember it fondly but man, I've never seen a meta game/business model so intent on making you feel like crap until it dishes out just enough pleasure to keep you coming back for more. It's devilishly perfect

Same as me? No Legendary cards?

I can't think of any video game that has made me rage as much as Clash Royale ever. The raged were so much I had to take a four week break. I swear. Simply for the sake of not throwing my 6S across the room or putting my fist through my iPad.

I think the tournament play is fun, but it's obviously a lot more uneven than the regular matchmaking play.

I was in a gaf tournament, and so playing against people who are much better than me, and also had bettter cards (.e.g. level 3 legendaries).

They are all cool people, so it's fun to play, but it can be a bit disheartening to go 1 win 10 losses or more.

It will be interesting to see what it's like when it settles down. I imagine there will become a "circuit" of regular youtubers and such who use their income to fund tournaments and stream them.

I'd love to work out the economics of stream income versus tournament cost and versus time sunk in to it.

Regular play continues it's cycle of win streaks and losses, bordering on the totally maddening at times.

Eldon

I think the tournament play is fun, but it's obviously a lot more uneven than the regular matchmaking play.

I was in a gaf tournament, and so playing against people who are much better than me, and also had bettter cards (.e.g. level 3 legendaries).

They are all cool people, so it's fun to play, but it can be a bit disheartening to go 1 win 10 losses or more.

It will be interesting to see what it's like when it settles down. I imagine there will become a "circuit" of regular youtubers and such who use their income to fund tournaments and stream them.

I'd love to work out the economics of stream income versus tournament cost and versus time sunk in to it.

Regular play continues it's cycle of win streaks and losses, bordering on the totally maddening at times.

As the other guy said legendaries are capped at 1, and in tournament mode the cards are so evenly balanced that unless you're underleveled it's only a game of skill. Considering supercell did the right thing only allowing lvl8 and up I can't see any of your points. Yes, I'm sure that after some time passes there will be cheaper options or even free, but now at launch the craze is real

hollomat

Banned
As the other guy said legendaries are capped at 1, and in tournament mode the cards are so evenly balanced that unless you're underleveled it's only a game of skill. Considering supercell did the right thing only allowing lvl8 and up I can't see any of your points. Yes, I'm sure that after some time passes there will be cheaper options or even free, but now at launch the craze is real

As a legendary user I think legendaries give you a huge advantage in the tournament. I've played 3 tournaments and finished in 1st in two of them and 2nd in the third, thanks in large part to my princess and ice wizard. I consider myself a skilled player, but without those legendaries, I doubt I would've made it that high on skill alone. The only opponents I've had trouble with in the tournaments are ones who also use legendaries.

Also I don't see the tournaments being popular for streaming unless huge changes are made. In a 1000 person tournament there could be up to 500 battles going on at once. How do you pick which battles to stream? If you go for only the top players, they will constantly be changing just because other players will be battling more and more. The individual battles don't mean much and aren't as exciting as an elimination bracket since someone can come back from a loss or two just by playing enough.

nampad

Fuck all level 8s spamming emotes in the 1300-1600 trophy range after winning against a level 6 account. You obviously suck at this game or you would not be in such a shitty arena with those cards.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Legendary cards are capped to level 1 in tournament mode (though they're still plenty strong at level 1).

As was said, legendaries offer a pretty big advantage to users. An ice wizard alone can stop an entire push, and for someone who doesn't regularly face a miner, they are devastating.

wonderpug

Neo Member
It was also said by me! ;)

I'm not saying legendaries aren't powerful, just that they're not level 3 (or level 2) in tournament mode.

should at least have the option when creating a tournament to have a 'no legendaries' button

Even when I didn't have my legendary, I never ran into a legendary that was so powerful as to not overcome. They're strong cards, no doubt, but nothing that I haven't been able to handle with my non-legendary decks.

I think the biggest negative about legendaries is that you see them so seldom in the first 5 or 6 arenas that you really don't grow any sort of natural counter to them. Then when you do start seeing them, you see them all at once, and its a lot of new matchup information that you really don't have a lot of reference for when climbing the ladder.

Ah right - my mistake - I could have sworn I saw higher level legendaries but maybe it was just blurred through my salty tears :)

Ironically i got a sparky out of a free chest shortly before the tournament started...but I didn't really know what I was doing with it.

I don't have a feel for when to deploy it and when not to, and when to defend it. I think I may be defending it too hard and then losing on the counter push.

Dazzler

Ah right - my mistake - I could have sworn I saw higher level legendaries but maybe it was just blurred through my salty tears :)

Ironically i got a sparky out of a free chest shortly before the tournament started...but I didn't really know what I was doing with it.

I don't have a feel for when to deploy it and when not to, and when to defend it. I think I may be defending it too hard and then losing on the counter push

It's the weakest legendary imo, everyone runs zap which counters it perfectly when paired with something like mini pekka or Valk

spyder_ur

Hey I heard that GAF tourney was won by Naster, a member of our Elite clan. Clan superiority feels good.

I still wish I could get in a tourney. I can't believe they released it like this.

As was said, legendaries offer a pretty big advantage to users. An ice wizard alone can stop an entire push, and for someone who doesn't regularly face a miner, they are devastating.

I suck against miners - they're my most hated card in the game. I try to land goblins on them, but sometimes I miss and at my level I'm now seeing level 3 miners which decimate me. I'm an elixir pump user though - any tricks to defending them? I realize they don't do much damage but they're a great tank. If I put any other units on the side (Ice Wiz, Princess) , the opponent just crashes down on me with fast units and my guys are aggro'd on the miner. So god damn annoying.

It's the weakest legendary imo, everyone runs zap which counters it perfectly when paired with something like mini pekka or Valk

Nothing makes me happier than pushing the other side and taking Sparky down with just minions or even goblins. Feels great.

broz0rs

I suck against miners - they're my most hated card in the game. I try to land goblins on them, but sometimes I miss and at my level I'm now seeing level 3 miners which decimate me. I'm an elixir pump user though - any tricks to defending them? I realize they don't do much damage but they're a great tank. If I put any other units on the side (Ice Wiz, Princess) , the opponent just crashes down on me with fast units and my guys are aggro'd on the miner. So god damn annoying.

It single handily changed the meta making elixir pumps a terrible card to use if your opponent has a miner card.

Mistouze

Sparky can be taken down fast but usually it's not coming arms open waiting to get taken down by minions. Typically there's a Giant in front of it and/or a wiz behind. That's where it gets tricky because if you mess up, boom, there goes a tower.

Seconding the opinion of miner being the most OP legendary though, since I've got one I'm regulary shutting down decks relying on elixir pumps to play big cost units like Pekka or Three Musketteers. And outside of that it's a super versatile unit and quite tanky for its cost. And the best is, the card being a legendary, it probably won't get nerfed.

zoukka

I can't think of any video game that has made me rage as much as Clash Royale ever. The raged were so much I had to take a four week break. I swear. Simply for the sake of not throwing my 6S across the room or putting my fist through my iPad.

z5PtqH2.gif

(sorry)

Ninja Dom

Fuck all level 8s spamming emotes in the 1300-1600 trophy range after winning against a level 6 account. You obviously suck at this game or you would not be in such a shitty arena with those cards.

This.

Happens to me in Royal Arena when Level 9's beat me. I'm Level 8.

the most sinister part is not being able to turn off taunting. you can tell they are specifically designed to be obnoxious so that youre more inticed to spend money after losing to what feels like bullshit and the only solutions the game gives you is to either spend money or wait.

edit: lol, and like clockwork someone posts an annoying taunt. priceless.

spyder_ur

It single handily changed the meta making elixir pumps a terrible card to use if your opponent has a miner card.

Yeah, it feels terrible having to defend it. Best case your gobs take it out but that's a pretty poor use of them. Puts them in line for a perfect zap too.

Sparky can be taken down fast but usually it's not coming arms open waiting to get taken down by minions. Typically there's a Giant in front of it and/or a wiz behind. That's where it gets tricky because if you mess up, boom, there goes a tower.

That's true, but I got some advice here to not engage Sparky users on their terms but to rush the other side. They can't get all of that if you're pushing the other side. That set up you describe is 12-14 elixir. I don't struggle with Giant-Sparky decks too much. RG on other side, Princess middle, cannon middle, engage with minions and whatever else when they cross.

zoukka

the most sinister part is not being able to turn off taunting. you can tell they are specifically designed to be obnoxious so that youre more inticed to spend money after losing to what feels like bullshit and the only solutions the game gives you is to either spend money or wait.

edit: lol, and like clockwork someone posts an annoying taunt. priceless.

Fk9TdsZ.gif

Agent

Even players in legendary can struggle against the Miner, depending on their deck. I went against a level 12 earlier (I'm 11) that had nearly maxed cards (Level 4 Princess, Level 3 Miner, Level 13 Royal Giant / Zap, Level 7 Guards, Level 10 Elixir/Hog Rider) and won, primarily due to Miner and Poison. They never once played a Royal Giant because I kept owning their Elixir Collector after it was placed, so he never could get ahead on Elixir. Without those cards, I would have probably lost because the train would have got rolling eventually.

I added poison to my deck the other day and its also a fantastic card rarely seen. I primarily use it for Elixir Collectors (and Tower damage since most people play them together). Basically opponents tend to stop playing EC once they realize I have Poison/Miner. I can usually clean up from there since most of the time they are trying to support higher elixir cards but no longer can do it as well.

My current deck for reference is: Miner, Princess, Zap, Goblins, Minions, Mini Pekka, Poison, Cannon. 3.0 average cost.

zoukka

Legendaries indeed shape the meta. 90% of my losses were against decks with Princess before I got mine. Now 90% of my losses are against miners and sparkies probably until I get mine.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Even players in legendary can struggle against the Miner, depending on their deck. I went against a level 12 earlier (I'm 11) that had nearly maxed cards (Level 4 Princess, Level 3 Miner, Level 13 Royal Giant / Zap, Level 7 Guards, Level 10 Elixir/Hog Rider) and won, primarily due to Miner and Poison. They never once played a Royal Giant because I kept owning their Elixir Collector after it was placed, so he never could get ahead on Elixir. Without those cards, I would have probably lost because the train would have got rolling eventually.

I added poison to my deck the other day and its also a fantastic card rarely seen. I primarily use it for Elixir Collectors (and Tower damage since most people play them together). Basically opponents tend to stop playing EC once they realize I have Poison/Miner. I can usually clean up from there since most of the time they are trying to support higher elixir cards but no longer can do it as well.

My current deck for reference is: Miner, Princess, Zap, Goblins, Minions, Mini Pekka, Poison, Cannon. 3.0 average cost.

I fought you in a tournament the other day, btw :p Forgot to mention it.

I used the F out of poison for a long time. It was my go-to card and was always listed as my "Favorite card". It's a great card that is underrated by most. I only stopped using it because I got sick of using it after 1000+ fights ;)

My current ladder deck is still RG/Ice Wiz/Wiz/Barbs/Prince/zap/Princess/Gobs. This is my best deck for getting 2-tower wins so I can get my daily chest faster. I stopped pushing for cups long ago. If I can get one tower down, the RG will 100% get that second tower down. I never use RG on the first tower kill though. Too easy to defend.

My current tournament deck is similar: Miner/ice wiz/zap/EC/Prince/Minion/Princess/Wiz. I tried to use something else besides wizard but he's just too useful in the current meta imo. Prince/wiz still my favorite combo, especially when my opponent starts the game with an EC. Automatic tower destroyed.

Ninja Dom

Very interesting.

I'm only Level 8 (Royal Arena) and I've swapped out Goblin Hut for Elixir Collector. But I'm only running low level cards so so far I'm seeing the benefit of Elixir Collector.

spyder_ur

Has anyone done the math on how much it costs to have a full deck of level 13 commons and level 9 rares along with level 12 crown towers? I'm around 3400 and I'm seeing decks like this more and more. Level 12 RG is a freaking nightmare to kill (haven't seen a 13).

I'm not too proud to say that I've spent a few dollars (maybe 10-12) on this game and I'm only getting close to having a level 12 goblins - I've been requesting them for ages. And my crown tower is still 10 I think. The money this must be raking in is stunning.

hollomat

Banned
I feel like the time may be coming soon to merge some of the Neogaf clans. What's the player count for the other clans?

GAF (#QYYQCQ) is at 38 members but I'd peg our active members at around 32.

nampad

Please don't kill me gaf but my second account just got its fourth legendary (all f2p) out of a free chest - the log.
Now I need to figure out how to use a deck with lavahound, ice mage, princess and log...first world problems.

Really thinking about moving the account out of my nephew's friends clan because they can't donate the cards I need and are not as active as the gaf clans.

JoeNut

Please don't kill me gaf but my second account just got its fourth legendary (all f2p) out of a free chest - the log.
Now I need to figure out how to use a deck with lavahound, ice mage, princess and log...first world problems.

Really thinking about moving the account out of my nephew's friends clan because they can't donate the cards I need and are not as active as the gaf clans.

Neogaf elite got ya, bring us some of that luck please!!!

Missed the above post, we've about 32 active

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I feel like the time may be coming soon to merge some of the Neogaf clans. What's the player count for the other clans?

GAF (#QYYQCQ) is at 38 members but I'd peg our active members at around 32.

Why? Clans are mostly about donations so as long as you have a decent number of active members that should be good. Tournaments are open to anyone with the password so you can do an 'all Gaf' one or a clan specific one (Gaf royale is running one now). Not sure what the benefits of a merge would be?

nampad

Why? Clans are mostly about donations so as long as you have a decent number of active members that should be good. Tournaments are open to anyone with the password so you can do an 'all Gaf' one or a clan specific one (Gaf royale is running one now). Not sure what the benefits of a merge would be?

The GAF clan is already quite active but more active members would still help a lot because I am still not able to hit my donation limit (not enough requests).

Matush

Tournaments Feature Update (7/7)

We're having a short maintenance break today (7/7) to deploy some bug fixes and improvements to the tournaments feature.

We're increasing the maximum number of players that can join smaller tournaments. To accommodate this, we're stretching out the Tournament Chests a bit - meaning that some of the lower chest sizes are going to be smaller, but more people will be able to win chests - and the end result will be more cards in the tournament prize pool in total!

Please note: Most Tournament Chests contain a low number of cards because we designed them to give proportionally higher chances of getting epics and legendaries!

Here's how the changes will look after the maintenance break:

500 Gem Tournament:
Capacity increased to 100 players (from 50)
Top 40 win a Tournament Chest (from 20)

1,000 Gem Tournament:
Capacity increased to 150 players (from 80)
Top 70 win a Tournament Chest (from 40)

2,000 Gem Tournament:
Capacity increased to 200 players (from 120)
Top 90 win a Tournament Chest (from 60)

5,000 Gem Tournament:
Capacity increased to 250 players (from 200)
Top 100 win a Tournament Chest (stays the same)

Additionally, we're reducing the chest timers for 4-12 card chests - down to 3 hours (from 4).

Other things to note: The tournament capacity change won't affect ongoing tournaments, but the chest changes will. Also, all tournaments are paused during maintenance breaks.

https://clashroyale.com/blog/news/tournaments-feature-update-7-7

That was quick.

Alur

A while back someone in here suggested the idea of a higher end GAF clan for those up in the 2k's and pushing 3k and higher. Not sure that's really necessary, but it's definitely the case that those are the surest people for quick/constant donations generally.

GAF Royale sits in the ~9-10k range for donations per week and there's only two who are above 3k. Good number of folks in the 2000's (~22,000 trophies total). The last two spots in that clan also filled up earlier today. But if you're not in a GAF clan and are looking for one that is pretty active, they typically purge weekly so there'll be some spots soon probably.

Based on what I've seen browsing clans in the range of ours, we hugely outclass most others in our range in terms of donations per week and that's really the main thing. Of course a few more higher trophy people would be better for those requesting those cards, but so far everything gets filled pretty quick and everyone is cool.

Going 7-0 so far in my clan. Two of them were raging at me for playing spawn decks and calling it no skill. Like, seriously if I can counter your counter push with with far less Elixir, then there's clearly outplay going.

There's less mechanics involved with spawn decks, but there's more planning and guessing to do.

It doesn't help that spawn decks have been getting stealth nerfs with all the recent patches.

Mistouze

Going 7-0 so far in my clan. Two of them were raging at me for playing spawn decks and calling it no skill. Like, seriously if I can counter your counter push with with far less Elixir, then there's clearly outplay going.

There's less mechanics involved with spawn decks, but there's more planning and guessing to do.

It doesn't help that spawn decks have been getting stealth nerfs with all the recent patches.
Haha if it's so easy to play why don't they use such a deck?

Btw curious to see your deck list and how far it carries you trophy-wise.

Haha if it's so easy to play why don't they use such a deck?

Btw curious to see your deck list and how far it carries you trophy-wise.

I only recently hit legendary arena so I'm in the ~3000 range.

Barbarian Hut
Goblin Hut
Musketeer
Zap
Barbarian
Mini Pekka
Poison (or Fireball)
Ice Wizard

Mini Pekka is probably the most useful card for utility in the deck. It's useful against Hogs, RG, Goblins, Miners, Sparky Valkyrie and even Wiz. I take Zap mostly to deal with Sparkies but it's great all around.

I have a difficult time playing against any cycle decks especially if that deck has at least two of: Hog, Princess, Miner.

hollomat

Banned

As nampad pointed out, more members make it easier to hit the daily donation limit. Also more people to talk to!

But it sounds like all the Neogaf clans are pretty healthy which is good.

Edit: The new tournament changes are terrible. It just got twice as hard to win or get a decent place in a tournament, but the rewards are the same at the top.

Placing outside the top 10% in the smallest tournament now only gets you 4 cards for at least an hours worth of your time.

JoeNut

if they could up the limit to 60 members i think we'd be able to squeeze 2 clans together, but even with a clearout i think we'll have 30.

So for now, Neogaf Elite are recruiting ;)

spyder_ur

I think I'm about done with the game and it's almost entirely due to miner. In the low to mid 3000s and the last 13 games I've had I've faced him.

Will probably take a break and come back when he's calmed down a little bit - any of the options of less health, more travel time, or knowing where he's going to land would be fine by me. There's not really much incentive to play given that at my level it's a treadmill and it's impossible to get into tournaments.

Top Bottom