• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

Impressive numbers I saw on a twitch stream over 10k people watching, he created a 1000 tournament with a password, it filled instantly. That was just one twitch streamer albeit highlighted by the game in their news section. I wonder how many people are online total globally.

hollomat

Banned
Impressive numbers I saw on a twitch stream over 10k people watching, he created a 1000 tournament with a password, it filled instantly. That was just one twitch streamer albeit highlighted by the game in their news section. I wonder how many people are online total globally.

Prior to the season reset this morning, there were around 300k in legendary arena.

Alur

Tournaments are definitely weighted towards those who play the most which sucks.

That said, it is very nice for most everyone in the clan to be able play on the same level finally.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Tournaments are definitely weighted towards those who play the most which sucks.

That said, it is very nice for most everyone in the clan to be able play on the same level finally.

Yeah, although the android notifications were getting annoying until I just ignored my phone.

Prior to the season reset this morning, there were around 300k in legendary arena.

I think that means Clash Royale has more simultaneous players than DOTA2 ? because 3 months ago SuperCell boasted they have 100m players active *every day*. If they play for more than 10 minutes, the simultaneous online player count would be over 1m.

hollomat

Banned
this

It's awesome to finally be able to take on people in less pressure-filled environments. Can try new decks out without dropping down arenas in the main game

I feel the complete opposite about tournaments. I feel far more pressure in these tournaments then in regular games. Played 2 so far (a 50 person and an 80 person) and I had to play matches the entire time and keep winning to stay on top. Went 15-2 and finished 2nd in the 50 man and 22-2 and finished 1st in the 80 man but I was on edge the entire time.

In the regular games I'm around 3600 so I couldn't care less about losing because it's very unlikely I'll drop below 3000.

I feel like today was crazy for tournaments just because everyone who hosted one would get back the 500 gem investment for it. I think it will really die down once people no longer get back the 500 gems.

Future

Tournaments are hit and miss. General execution is laughable. Every time I log in all I see are packed tournaments. Can't join any.

I did join one. But unfortunately it wasn't at a time I could play nonstop for 1 hr. So I didn't place. From the sound of it, if I did place in still getting barely anything unless I win. And I will never win because I will never have unlimited time to play for an hour plus. Even if I was better than anyone.

Tournaments sound great for streamers or kids that are available nonstop. But for people with jobs, I can see myself only joining gaf or low key long tournaments. It IS nice to test decks without trophy penalty and when your chests are full.

Hopefully they add a "playoffs" or tournament variant that only makes you play a couple of games, getting matched only with those that have a matching win record. Something like the street fighter 4 tournaments. Climb a ladder with each win and only get matched with those on a ladder rung. For people that might be good but can't play all day

L3E2

Was frustrated with this game so I decided to take a break for a couple weeks but after changing my deck up it feels new to me again. Not sure how I went so long without trying barbs or fireball.

Was trying so hard to join in on a tourney all day, but constantly told no room, they must fill up pretty fast. So glad I decided to check this thread out after seeing that tournaments were added today, finally got to join in on that Neogaf Fun one, thanks for setting that up!

Dazzler

Was frustrated with this game so I decided to take a break for a couple weeks but after changing my deck up it feels new to me again. Not sure how I went so long without trying barbs or fireball.

Was trying so hard to join in on a tourney all day, but constantly told no room, they must fill up pretty fast. So glad I decided to check this thread out after seeing that tournaments were added today, finally got to join in on that Neogaf Fun one, thanks for setting that up!

Join one of the gaf clans if you're sticking around, couple to choose from, just mention you're from gaf

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does the iOS version have any way to control what notifications it pops up? I like being notified when my chests unlock, but now I'm getting spammed by notifications whenever someone is looking for a tournament battle

Dazzler

Does the iOS version have any way to control what notifications it pops up? I like being notified when my chests unlock, but now I'm getting spammed by notifications whenever someone is looking for a tournament battle

The only way to kill those notifications right now is to kill all notifications for the app, which would lead to you missing out on chest unlocks and card requests

It's a pretty annoying oversight on the part of the dev team but they do like causing strong emotions, so who knows when it will be fixed

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
New GAF Tournament!

Set up one because the other was full. It is called The GAF Invitational. Search with #2UR8G8. Password quote.

Its 3 days long so there's plenty of time to join.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Thoughts on tournaments:

Pros:
- Absolute best way to try new decks

- Good way to play without it impacting your cup count, effectively making it an unranked mode

- Decent amount of cards for "free"

Cons:
- I wish there were alternative styles of tournaments, rather than always being a FFA for a set amount of time. Different tournament styles would be MUCH appreciated.

- any tournament over 1h is just too much time to commit to one tournament

- wish you could set some sort of cup range because it's no fun for anyone when people with 4000 cups are fighting against ppl with 1000 cups. Yes, cards are normalized, but it's still a steamroll based on experience alone. I shouldn't be fighting against people with level 3 rares. They have no chance.

- absolutely no incentive for anyone to ever host a tournament, so I expect there to be far less tournaments going forward, to the point where ppl will only bother with the youtube/twitch tournaments

Overall, they are pretty fun. I've been able to get into a few tournaments and enjoyed them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They're a good way to keep you playing while waiting for cheats to unlock. Therefore likely going to being in more money for the dev.

I'd like an indication on the tournament player list who is online right now. Also something to balance it so it isn't simply whoever has the biggest stick and plays the most often will get even more cards to further stretch their advantage. Don't know how though

Agent

Thoughts on tournaments:

Agreed on all points. I was about to post some thoughts but it would have been nearly identical. I do think the amount of public tournaments will drop off a lot once people host their "free" tournament for the 500 gem achievement. I'm guessing people hosting tournaments after that will be doing it exclusively for their clan mates, etc. There are already significantly less available and a lot are 1 day or longer which is pointless. To be fair, it was a holiday so that played into the mass amount being played.

I got into the OrangeJuice 600 person tourney last night which was nuts. I was in the top 250 up until the end when dropped to #342 and out of the running for cards. I panicked in the last 5 minutes as I thought people below me would move ahead (the difference between cards/no cards was less than 25 trophies) so I rushed into to some matches and lost.

The only thing I would disagree with is limiting the amount of cups. I was going against players last night that were lower than me, but still did okay. Honestly, some of the lower players threw more of a curve ball than players around my level. They tend to use cards that are not really used that much in the legendary space, so you aren't quite ready/expecting them. I saw more Skeleton Army, Wizard, Bomb Tower, and Giant Skeletons last night than I have in legendary the last 2 months combined. When you play normally in legendary you basically are expecting your opponent to have a Royal Giant deck, Hog cycle, Miner, or an occasional Giant/Balloon. In a tournament setting there is such a wide range of decks being used it really is hard to get a "perfect" deck, which gives lower level people somewhat of a chance (as long as it is tournament level cards).

commish

The only thing I would disagree with is limiting the amount of cups. I was going against players last night that were lower than me, but still did okay. Honestly, some of the lower players threw more of a curve ball than players around my level. They tend to use cards that are not really used that much in the legendary space, so you aren't quite ready/expecting them. I saw more Skeleton Army, Wizard, Bomb Tower, and Giant Skeletons last night than I have in legendary the last 2 months combined. When you play normally in legendary you basically are expecting your opponent to have a Royal Giant deck, Hog cycle, Miner, or an occasional Giant/Balloon. In a tournament setting there is such a wide range of decks being used it really is hard to get a "perfect" deck, which gives lower level people somewhat of a chance (as long as it is tournament level cards).

Ha, absolutely agree. Lower ranked ppl have some funky decks that were hard to handle in some instances and I got 3-crowned. At my normal cup level, I've pretty much seen it all so it comes down to execution (assuming neither deck is a direct counter to the other, which is pretty rare). I had to remove zap from my deck because it just wasn't as effective against these lower level decks.

I tell you what, though. Lower level ppl have no f'ing idea how to deal with miner.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
What I love about tournaments as it is, is that it gives a good way to fight members of the others neogaf clans.

Btw shout out to Augustine from the NeoGAF clan regarding our match a few minutes ago. Was sure I was going to choke when I saw you drop that Sparky (btw knew it was coming from spectating your previous match) even though I came up ahead in the end my heart was racing haha.

EDIT : In case he's not watching the thread, would be cool if someone from his clan could send him a *thumbs up king* his way :p

Dazzler

What I love about tournament as it is, is that it gives a good way to fight members of the others neogaf clans.

Btw shout out to Augustine from the NeoGAF clan regarding our match a few minutes ago. Was sure I was going to choke when I saw you drop that Sparky (btw knew it was coming from spectating your previous match) even though I came up ahead in the end my heart was racing haha.

Been really enjoying this. Lots of people from the thread I'd never played against before, it's pretty great

hollomat

Banned
It's a bit creepy that if you make a tournament, anyone participating in the tournament can see the location you created the tournament at (I.e. Austin, Texas). Not sure what they were thinking with that.

wonderpug

Neo Member
It's a bit creepy that if you make a tournament, anyone participating in the tournament can see the location you created the tournament at (I.e. Austin, Texas). Not sure what they were thinking with that.

According to this thread, some people even have GPS coordinates displayed that pinpointed them down to the street they were on. I turned off location services for the game right away after reading that.

Mistouze said:
What I love about tournaments as it is, is that it gives a good way to fight members of the others neogaf clans.

Same here!

commish

Ha Hollomat, I didn't think anyone would be on to fight when I clicked "Fight" (I'm Noci). Never a good idea for me to fight at work!

hollomat

Banned
Ha Hollomat, I didn't think anyone would be on to fight when I clicked "Fight" (I'm Noci). Never a good idea for me to fight at work!

Haha. You almost had me! With one minute left to go my train was coming so I was playing with one hand and trying to get on at the same time.

I was in game cause my crown chest had just refreshed and saw someone was looking for a match in the tourney.

Thanks for hosting the tourney and posting the info here chubigans. I think I'm one of the only people in there with legendaries so it felt kind of cheap being #1 just cause I had princess and ice wizard. I left the tourney and rejoined. Couldn't care less about the cards but it's great to actually have matches against other gaffers.

I'm going to make another deck without any legendaries for the tourney. We'll see if I can actually earn my rank this time!

Matush

EDIT : In case he's not watching the thread, would be cool if someone from his clan could send him a *thumbs up king* his way :p
We will :D Tourneys are great for this exact reason. Loving the idea of playing against fellow GAFers.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Kinda love my chest row atm :
rySEmg9.jpg

Haha my heart similarly sunk when you pulled out that lava hound. I'm really bad against air decks.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Since playing my first and only tournament within a couple of hours of them opening up with the update, I have felt zero compulsion to play another one, even a short one hour tournament.

Given you have to play the whole time to stay in the rewards bracket, it just doesn't seem like there is an adequate return on them relative to card requests, free chests, and regular crown chest and ladder play. Not to mention regular ladder play feels more "fair" in the matchmaking.

I guess I might play an hour tournament if I'm stuck for something to do on a weekend, or want to grind some gold. But outside of that, I think I'll opt out.

Top Bottom