• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I think I'm about done with the game and it's almost entirely due to miner. In the low to mid 3000s and the last 13 games I've had I've faced him.

Will probably take a break and come back when he's calmed down a little bit - any of the options of less health, more travel time, or knowing where he's going to land would be fine by me.

Try using the knight or mini pekka.

Ninja Dom

I think I'm about done with the game and it's almost entirely due to miner. In the low to mid 3000s and the last 13 games I've had I've faced him.

Will probably take a break and come back when he's calmed down a little bit - any of the options of less health, more travel time, or knowing where he's going to land would be fine by me. There's not really much incentive to play given that at my level it's a treadmill and it's impossible to get into tournaments.

How is Miner wrecking you? Is he really difficult to adapt to?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

He's an indirect fire tank. At least at early levels he doesn't do much damage, but he attracts fire so other units can do a lot of damage. Can also be handy against a tank rush - if someone plays a giant with a wizard/witch behind it can be a real PITA - but you can throw a miner in behind the giant and should be able to kill a witch. Same with princess you can kill at range.

I wouldn't think he would be that much trouble for someone in arena 8 though - I'd have thought you can use skellies or goblins etc like you might against a hog rider?

spyder_ur

Try using the knight or mini pekka.

I've got a mini pekka. I mean yeah he works fine.

He's an indirect fire tank. At least at early levels he doesn't do much damage, but he attracts fire so other units can do a lot of damage. Can also be handy against a tank rush - if someone plays a giant with a wizard/witch behind it can be a real PITA - but you can throw a miner in behind the giant and should be able to kill a witch. Same with princess you can kill at range.

I wouldn't think he would be that much trouble for someone in arena 8 though - I'd have thought you can use skellies or goblins etc like you might against a hog rider?

Yeah, Gobs do alright but then they're perfectly in line for a tower zap. I'm seeing level 3 miners fairly regularly - those are a joke.

Don't get me wrong - it's not so much that he's killing me himself - I just really freaking hate playing against him. I'll just take a break.

By the way - if anyone enjoys this type of gameplay but not the F2P model, they should check out Castle Raid 1 and 2. $.99 and $2.99 respectively. Similar 3-tower gameplay against AI. Fun games.

commish

They would just zap those skellies or goblins. Miner is tough to defend, even when you know it's coming. The second you over extend even a little on offense, the counter attack led by a miner will take your tower.

Matush

Miner is OP af imho. If they want to make him little bit balanced, changing his elixir from 3 to 4 should make a trick. I mean Miner decks are pretty much one of the few I cannot do anything against with my current deck:

Royal G LVL10
Barbs LVL 10
Minions LVL 10
Zap LVL 10
Cannon LVL 9
Fireball LVL 7
Elixir Collector LVL 6
Princess LVL 1

If I drop Barb, they usually get destroyed with Fireball next to a tower, Minions are not that great against him, enemy usually Zaps/Arrows them, Princess is weak.

commish

Miner is OP af imho. If they want to make him little bit balanced, changing his elixir from 3 to 4 should make a trick. I mean Miner decks are pretty much one of the few I cannot do anything against with my current deck:

Royal G LVL10
Barbs LVL 10
Minions LVL 10
Zap LVL 10
Cannon LVL 9
Fireball LVL 7
Elixir Collector LVL 6
Princess LVL 1

If I drop Barb, they usually get destroyed with Fireball next to a tower, Minions are not that great against him, enemy usually Zaps/Arrows them, Princess is weak.

Hm that deck has it pretty rough against miners because 6 of our 8 cards aren't really attacking units - 2 buildings, 2 spells and princess/RG. I would drop canon for mini pekka probably.

sackninja

I have never had many problems with miner. He just deals so little damage for him to really ever wreck me. I also do have a lot of attacking units so I always have some card to deal with him.
My deck is :
Royal giant Lvl 9
Arrows Lvl 9
Minion Horde Lvl 10
Musketeer Lvl 7
Ice Wizard Lvl 1
Spear Goblins Lvl 9
Prince Lvl 4
Barbarians Lvl 9

What I really have problems with is Sparky plus Giant and Sparky plus Wizard combos.

hollomat

Banned
I have never had many problems with miner. He just deals so little damage for him to really ever wreck me. I also do have a lot of attacking units so I always have some card to deal with him.
My deck is :
Royal giant Lvl 9
Arrows Lvl 9
Minion Horde Lvl 10
Musketeer Lvl 7
Ice Wizard Lvl 1
Spear Goblins Lvl 9
Prince Lvl 4
Barbarians Lvl 9

What I really have problems with is Sparky plus Giant and Sparky plus Wizard combos.

I'm having similar issues with a similar deck. I just use princess instead of musketeer and elixir collector instead of prince.

Both our decks do very poorly against area damage. I'm planning on swapping mini pekka for barbarians once I get it higher and I'm trying to figure out what to swap minion horde for. It's by far the weakest card in my deck with everyone running zap, princess, fireball, wizard, arrows, ice wizard or a combination. All those cards are hard counters and very positive or even elixir trades.

I'm considering switching to

Furnace
Mini pekka
Miner
Princess
Ice wizard
Royal giant
Zap
Spear goblins

Going to try it out in tournaments first though.

Matush

Hm that deck has it pretty rough against miners because 6 of our 8 cards aren't really attacking units - 2 buildings, 2 spells and princess/RG. I would drop canon for mini pekka probably.
Yeah, I was thinking about it, Canon is mostly used against Giants, Hogs so I can drop Barbs right at heavier Tanks (Golem, Giant, Pekka)

broz0rs

My deck is :
Royal giant Lvl 9
Arrows Lvl 9
Minion Horde Lvl 10
Musketeer Lvl 7
Ice Wizard Lvl 1
Spear Goblins Lvl 9
Prince Lvl 4
Barbarians Lvl 9

Miner is a real terror at Arena 8. He's not meant to damage, but mostly to serve as a distraction behind the tower while another card or two does the real damage on the front.

Best solution against Sparky is zap once it crosses bridge and drop Mini-Pekka or Barbs on it. It should kill him in time even if there's a Wizard or Fireball to counter it.

For Sparkies, you generally need to lure it close enough so you can drop troops on top of it. Zap helps so much to give those troops time to kill Sparky.

If it comes with RG, then it becomes a question of how fast you can kill RG. Whenever this happens I just spam small troops and Poison plus Ice Wiz with a Zap somewhere between.

Rocket (Lv7?) One shots Sparkies.

commish

Yeah, I was thinking about it, Canon is mostly used against Giants, Hogs so I can drop Barbs right at heavier Tanks (Golem, Giant, Pekka)

Mini pekka chops those hogs right up, and you then have a mini pekka to lead your counter attack

hollomat

Banned
Hollomat with 3 legendaries in the GAF Tourney, lol, nobody got a chance.

Haha. I'm about to drop out and enter a different tourney. I wanted to test a tourney deck, and it seems to be working.

But yeah it's definitely not fair.

For anyone interested the deck is:

Furnace lvl 7
Ice wizard lvl 1
Miner lvl 1
Princess lvl 1
Royal giant lvl 9
Spear goblins lvl 9
Zap lvl 9
Mini pekka lvl 6 (trying to get him to tournament lvl still)

The key to the deck is the fire spirits from a lvl 7 furnace can make it to a lvl 9 tower. So if they don't take out the furnace, it'll just chip away. And by the time the furnace is gone I'll probably have another furnace to play.

Edit: Deck isn't as strong as I initially thought. It's really weak against poison. Played a 100 person tournament and lost 3 of my first 4 games using this deck cause they all had poison. Switched back to my deck below and managed to salvage the tournament and come in 3rd.

hollomat

Banned
Pretty strong deck it seems, intetrsting strategy.

I've been in 4 tournaments so far just using my normal deck and finished first in two of them and second in two of them. But it keeps losing to decks running inferno tower, wizard or miner. My new deck above seems to be much better against those and seems to be great against all decks I've faced so far. Going to try and get in a one hour tournament to really test it.

My old deck was

Royal giant
Spear goblins
Ice wizard
Princess
Elixir collector
Minion horde
Barbarians
Arrows

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They would just zap those skellies or goblins. Miner is tough to defend, even when you know it's coming. The second you over extend even a little on offense, the counter attack led by a miner will take your tower.

Sure but hopefully you have a couple of low elixir units and stagger them so you have a spare ready to go if you get zapped. That also pulls the zap so you can try minion horde against the other lane.

But level 3 is apparently pretty strong. I still only have 1 card so no idea how you get a legendary up to level 3. Do you need magical or higher chests?

Miner is just too cheap for what he does. Even on its own, you cannot ignore a Miner hitting a tower. They should tone down its HP buff a bit, or make the travel time much slower.

zoukka

Miner is just too cheap for what he does. Even on its own, you cannot ignore a Miner hitting a tower. They should tone down its HP buff a bit, or make the travel time much slower.

The legendaries aren't suppose to be "balanced", they are all required in different deck archetypes and are only balanced against each other.

The legendaries aren't suppose to be "balanced", they are all required in different deck archetypes and are only balanced against each other.

That was good in theory and what I thought legendaries should be, but nothing stops players from stacking legendaries. You don't build around Miner, Princess and Ice Wizard. You build around Lava Hound and Sparky. As much as I hate Sparkies, and even if I think it needs a tiny nerf, it's a good legendary.

thy_

What a match in a tourney thyy! Good game.

It was a nice match.
I felt like I had to get aggressive in the end to prevent you from playing your royal giant, but you managed to grind out a elixir lead before I could get your tower down.

Perhaps I would have had a better chance being more patient.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
That was good in theory and what I thought legendaries should be, but nothing stops players from stacking legendaries. You don't build around Miner, Princess and Ice Wizard. You build around Lava Hound and Sparky. As much as I hate Sparkies, and even if I think it needs a tiny nerf, it's a good legendary.

I think it is overrated personally. I win against Sparky decks a lot more than I lose, and I only have Commons and Rares in my deck.

hollomat

Banned
Hey Matush, I just happened to take the lead from you with 1/2h left.
You might have to come on, to take it back.

Just watched the match up. Tense final moments of the tournament! Hopefully you guys get something good in your chests.

Very fitting that who comes in first would be determined by a battle between 1st and 2nd place.

hollomat

Banned
hollomat are you willing to play?

I think I only need to beat you like 4 times to catch matush :O

Sorry didn't see this til just now. I would've been willing to play, but it would've been really risky for you. One loss to me would've dropped you into 3rd or lower.

thy_

Sorry didn't see this til just now. I would've been willing to play, but it would've been really risky for you. One loss to me would've dropped you into 3rd or lower.

I don't think you lose actually that much, even against someone with 0 trophies.

In tournaments the winner seems to gain about 3 times as much as the loser loses.
You just have to play a lot of matches, and you are going to rise if you win some games.

But I don't think there was enough time for us to get matched up often enough to catch the chicken. :p

Gratz Matush :)

hollomat

Banned
I don't think you lose actually that much, even against someone with 0 trophies.

In tournaments the winner seems to gain about 3 times as much as the loser loses.
You just have to play a lot of matches, and you are going to rise if you win some games.

But I don't think there was enough time for us to get matched up often enough to catch the chicken. :p

Gratz Matush :)

I've played about 5 tournaments now and been in the top 3 for all of them (not this one obviously). If you're around 300 trophies and lose to someone with 100 trophies, you lose between 40-50 trophies. It can really make a huge difference towards the end of the tournament. Similarly if you win against them you'll only get between 15-20 trophies. So high risk/reward playing matches when you're near the top.

thy_

I've played about 5 tournaments now and been in the top 3 for all of them (not this one obviously). If you're around 300 trophies and lose to someone with 100 trophies, you lose between 40-50 trophies. It can really make a huge difference towards the end of the tournament. Similarly if you win against them you'll only get between 15-20 trophies. So high risk/reward playing matches when you're near the top.

I think it might have something to do with how many matches got played in the tournament? Or is their some protection below 250 trophies or something?

In this tournament I lost to someone with 0 trophies while I was around 200 and got like -8 trophies.

hollomat

Banned
I think it might have something to do with how many matches got played in the tournament? Or is their some protection below 250 trophies or something?

In this tournament I lost to someone with 0 trophies while I was around 200 and got like -8 trophies.

Not sure how it works. But from my experience if you're going to lose matches it's far better to do it in the beginning rather than the end.

Grats thyy and Matush, I just couldn't keep my numbers up also I second that it is fitting that no. 1 v. no. 2 was the final match.

Why is there a timer to the tourney chest? Does it scale with the place? That is so dumb, in a game already full of timers.

hollomat

Banned
Grats thyy and Matush, I just couldn't keep my numbers up also I second that it is fitting that no. 1 v. no. 2 was the final match.

Why is there a timer to the tourney chest? Does it scale with the place? That is so dumb, in a game already full of timers.

Yeah it scales with the place. Pretty sure the 1st place chest for the smallest tourney is 6 hours, but Matush can correct me. I won a 1st place chest from the second smallest tourney and I believe it had an 8 hour countdown. You can't enter any tourneys until the chest is opened either by waiting for it or gemming it.

On the plus side though, the chance for an epic or legendary is higher in tourney chests than regular chests. But the legendary chance is still very very low so don't expect one unless you're winning a 1000 person tourney.

Another guy in the GB clan got around top 80 in one of the huge tournaments and it had a 24 hour timer on it. He did get a sparky out of it.

There's a lot less BM in tournaments from what I've seen. Lots of good games and good lucks.

Dazzler

anyone know if I unlock a crown chest in Arena 6, then move up to A7 before opening..

is it an Arena 6 Crown Chest, or Arena 7?

hollomat

Banned
anyone know if I unlock a crown chest in Arena 6, then move up to A7 before opening..

is it an Arena 6 Crown Chest, or Arena 7?

Arena 6. Same if a free chest unlocks in arena 6 then you move up to arena 7 before opening.

Also not sure if anyone has mentioned this before, but the tournament update did a stealth nerf to the gold in all chests, at least in legendary arena. The minimum and maximum gold in the chests is about 5% less. I'm sure this was done since you can now get gold in tournament chests, but even if you're playing tournaments everyday (which no one is), it doesn't make up for the lost gold.

Just randomly guessed the password for a tournament and got in.

Tournament is #JCLJJV
Password is moby

It ends in 30 mins and it's the lowest tourney, but there's only 4 people in it now, so free cards even without a battle.

Top Bottom