• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

Alur

We were just talking about goblin barrel in our chat. I think it can be devastating and I nicked a payfecta deck from the last Super Magical Cup using it but only piloted it to .500 at ~3300. It is a decent card, but ultimately you get one shot per game to get value out of it.

Once they've seen it, odds are you can't use it as anything more than a "win more" card. I think it's fly time needs to be reduced significantly. It's just too easy to zap.

And on the subject of zap, talk about a card that needs a nerf. Has to be in like 90-95% of decks and probably more than that in legendary arena. It single-handedly prevents the use of log, for example. Log would seem a much better card if there wasn't another 2 cost card that was as common as air that can do more stuff sans kill a princess.

nampad

We were just talking about goblin barrel in our chat. I think it can be devastating and I nicked a payfecta deck from the last Super Magical Cup using it but only piloted it to .500 at ~3300. It is a decent card, but ultimately you get one shot per game to get value out of it.

Once they've seen it, odds are you can't use it as anything more than a "win more" card. I think it's fly time needs to be reduced significantly. It's just too easy to zap.

And on the subject of zap, talk about a card that needs a nerf. Has to be in like 90-95% of decks and probably more than that in legendary arena. It single-handedly prevents the use of log, for example. Log would seem a much better card if there wasn't another 2 cost card that was as common as air that can do more stuff sans kill a princess.

I have been using a goblin barrel miner deck for a while and it is very fun. It can be shut down with zap but if you have other gobs/squishy cards in your deck the opponent really has to chose carefully when to zap what.

I just started playing this again, and is therefore only at arena 1, and lvl 4. Which clan should I join?

The GAF clan (#qyyqco , search for the whole code including hashtag) has space. We are very active and the highest ranking GAF clan.
The required trophies are set up high at the moment so we won't get spammed with requests but we welcome anyone as long as they are active (requesting and donating some cards in a week). Just post here so we can lower the required trophies.

Alur

That's what I was running. Gobs + gob barrel and miner as the main offense. It made them pick and choose, I just don't find it nearly as consistent as the staple decks for ladder like giant/poison, hogfecta, RG, reg payfecta. It's better in a tournament environment IMO.

There's just so many things ran that easily kill goblins that you really can only get on a tower once or twice per game to do your thing, meanwhile defensively it doesn't feel as strong as regular payfecta.

I have a Sparky, RG, Goblin Barrel deck and it worked ok. I can combo Sparky and RG, or just pair Goblin Barrel with either of the two.

Pachimari

The GAF clan (#qyyqco , search for the whole code including hashtag) has space. We are very active and the highest ranking GAF clan.
The required trophies are set up high at the moment so we won't get spammed with requests but we welcome anyone as long as they are active (requesting and donating some cards in a week). Just post here so we can lower the required trophies.
Hmm, I'm searching for the whole code but nothing turns up in the search result?

hollomat

Banned
Hmm, I'm searching for the whole code but nothing turns up in the search result?

#QYYQCQ he had a typo.

I lowered the trophies for you so apply whenever. But when you make the request say you're from Neogaf. We get so many spam requests after I lower the trophies it's impossible to know who's from Neogaf unless they say.

Alternatively, search GAF and look for the clan with trophies around 26,500

broz0rs

agreed, it's a card that does need a nerf. it has too much utility for two elixir, and shouldn't be able to kill goblins of the same level imho

Alur

Goblins are strong, but 9 times out of 10 they never do anything thanks to Zap. Valks one shot them, Arrows one shot them. Fireball obviously one shots them. Princess either one or two shots them. I think we would be okay without Zap insta-gibbing them. Goblin Barrel is basically eradicated due to it.

I'd be interested in how the game would look without Zap lording over it. They already took care of Freeze, which was good IMO, so why not?

And plus I need a reason to use this log man.

Matush

Goblins are strong, but 9 times out of 10 they never do anything thanks to Zap. Valks one shot them, Arrows one shot them. Fireball obviously one shots them. Princess either one or two shots them. I think we would be okay without Zap insta-gibbing them. Goblin Barrel is basically eradicated due to it.

I'd be interested in how the game would look without Zap lording over it. They already took care of Freeze, which was good IMO, so why not?

People using Goblin Barrels/Goblins need to combo it with Minion Horde, Sparky or others zappable cheaper troops. Then you can lure out people into zapping this or that.

Pachimari

#QYYQCQ he had a typo.

I lowered the trophies for you so apply whenever. But when you make the request say you're from Neogaf. We get so many spam requests after I lower the trophies it's impossible to know who's from Neogaf unless they say.

Thanks. I'll send a request right when I am back home later today.

nampad

Goblins are cheap so that is fair game. I agree that Zap is overpowered because I can't think of reason NOT to use it. It has so much utility.
And it is meant to be for a hard counter to the Goblin Barrel, which would have none without Zap.

Zap needs a change but they have to be careful how they change it.

Alur

Less damage, less stun, an increased cost. Any of those things should be considered.

More than anything, though, like I said above, Zap kills the utility of Log. If they continue to let Log be borderline useless or like a poor man's Zap I'd be shocked considering their previous balancing. That means Zap has to be nerfed or Log has to be sizeably buffed.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Goblins are cheap so that is fair game. I agree that Zap is overpowered because I can't think of reason NOT to use it. It has so much utility.
And it is meant to be for a hard counter to the Goblin Barrel, which would have none without Zap.

Zap needs a change but they have to be careful how they change it.

It will be hard to change zap without reducing its use to zero. I'm thinking the only way to reduce its use is to remove its ability to reset charges, mainly inferno tower and sparky. The number of units completely negated by zap is just ridiculous.

Less damage, less stun, an increased cost. Any of those things should be considered.

More than anything, though, like I said above, Zap kills the utility of Log. If they continue to let Log be borderline useless or like a poor man's Zap I'd be shocked considering their previous balancing. That means Zap has to be nerfed or Log has to be sizeably buffed.

Perhaps increasing cost to 3 could work.

Open my Giant Chest

1 witch...
27 collector
200+ horde....

ffs!!!!
Whenever I put Horde in my deck they have arwows...

I put no minions and 10 games in a row I face Sparky with no arrows in his deck...no matchmaking fix? lol...

It's tough to play Ladder without the Noob Tuber.....still found him boring to play with...so I suck now....at least Miner can give me good wins in Tourney vs better people...

Future

I've seen good decks with goblin barrel that have many cards that bait zap. In the heat of the moment people use it and the you throw in your goblin barrel. It's a hard card to use because you need to try to bait zap and use the barrel when you are at an elixir advantage

I'd hate to nerf zap. It's one of the true skill cards there is. Mistiming it can win or lose matches. Sure it's in every deck, but it's a fun card that creates fun plays to spectate on when exactly people use it. Much more fun to watch people use than ice wizard or miner

Fucking ice wizard man. That's the card that needs the nerf. The biggest issue with him is he just chills unhurt in the back playing defense all day while you build Elixer for a push with him still supporting. Lower the freeze slow value, lower his hp, or speed up his walk or something so he needs to be more tactically placed

spyder_ur

I've seen good decks with goblin barrel that have many cards that bait zap. In the heat of the moment people use it and the you throw in your goblin barrel. It's a hard card to use because you need to try to bait zap and use the barrel when you are at an elixir advantage

I'd hate to nerf zap. It's one of the true skill cards there is. Mistiming it can win or lose matches. Sure it's in every deck, but it's a fun card that creates fun plays to spectate on when exactly people use it. Much more fun to watch people use than ice wizard or miner

Fucking ice wizard man. That's the card that needs the nerf. The biggest issue with him is he just chills unhurt in the back playing defense all day while you build Elixer for a push with him still supporting. Lower the freeze slow value, lower his hp, or speed up his walk or something so he needs to be more tactically placed

Honestly all three of the payfecta trio need nerfs. I think just lowering health is probably fine for ice wiz. He should be a support troop and not that effective when you get close to him. We'll see though since they're legendaries.

Miner is the game breaking one to me, but I won't go on yet another miner rant.

Speaking of, it's been a really long time since any balancing, right?

Where's the daily tourney invasion? Super? Nampad?

Alur

Ice Wiz at higher levels is surprisingly tanky (taking into account the slow he also puts on the troops). Nerfing his HP might help.

Not sure how they can nerf Princess without her being riparooni though. If they nerf damage, she's useless. If they nerf health, I suppose she could be nerfed to be zappable but then she is useless again. They could nerf the cost, I suppose, but there too I also feel like people would just move on from the card.

Miner's deploy time needs to be fixed for real. Crazy how he went from being super undervalued to so heavily played. I'm hopeful we will see something similar with Lumberjack after he gets a small tuneup.

Pachimari

#QYYQCQ he had a typo.

Hmm, I can't seem to join your clan. I only have 259 trophies though, should I level up first before I join?

I briefly looked but couldn't immediately find anything... I can barely keep up with my crown chest these past 2 days.

But I'll give you our secret if you ever want to find one...
Step 1. Type in a random word
Step 2. Guess the password based on either the name of the tourney or the clan that is hosting it.
Step 3. ???
Step 4. Profit.

nampad

Ice Wiz at higher levels is surprisingly tanky (taking into account the slow he also puts on the troops). Nerfing his HP might help.

Not sure how they can nerf Princess without her being riparooni though. If they nerf damage, she's useless. If they nerf health, I suppose she could be nerfed to be zappable but then she is useless again. They could nerf the cost, I suppose, but there too I also feel like people would just move on from the card.

Miner's deploy time needs to be fixed for real. Crazy how he went from being super undervalued to so heavily played. I'm hopeful we will see something similar with Lumberjack after he gets a small tuneup.

That wasn't due to the deploy time bug in my opinion.

At first, people did not know how to use him effectively and Supercell buffed him with more health. Soon after that the first strategies emerged and he was already used a lot.

Then there was the deployment speed bug and I guess a lot more miner drops.

Honestly all three of the payfecta trio need nerfs. I think just lowering health is probably fine for ice wiz. He should be a support troop and not that effective when you get close to him. We'll see though since they're legendaries.

Miner is the game breaking one to me, but I won't go on yet another miner rant.

Speaking of, it's been a really long time since any balancing, right?

Sorry, i just played a tourney so I can't look another one up.

I briefly looked but couldn't immediately find anything... I can barely keep up with my crown chest these past 2 days.

But I'll give you our secret if you ever want to find one...
Step 1. Type in a random word
Step 2. Guess the password based on either the name of the tourney or the clan that is hosting it.
Step 3. ???
Step 4. Profit.

Or the clan name of the hoster or sometimes the password is even in the description.

spyder_ur

Invaded a tourney if anyone wants to join.

Name: Copa Troll, #U98JPJ

Quote for password

Had to go deep down a rabbit hole to uncover. It's a long one though, if anyone invades a short one I would hop in that.

hollomat

Banned
Invaded a tourney if anyone wants to join.

Name: Copa Troll, #U98JPJ

Quote for password

Had to go deep down a rabbit hole to uncover. It's a long one though, if anyone invades a short one I would hop in that.

How did you figure out that password? Seems extremely obscure.

spyder_ur

How did you figure out that password? Seems extremely obscure.

Tourney had a message in Spanish. I remembered enough Spanish to gather it was telling how to get the password. There was a reference to his YouTube channel. Went there and there is a video where he creates the tourney and enters the password.

Like I said, rabbit hole but I felt like a sleuth for a bit.

hollomat

Banned
Tourney had a message in Spanish. I remembered enough Spanish to gather it was telling how to get the password. There was a reference to his YouTube channel. Went there and there is a video where he creates the tourney and enters the password.

Haha. Sometimes cracking the passwords for these 3 day tournaments is far more exciting than the actual tournaments.

If definitely feels great when you try a password and aren't entirely sure if it will work, but then it does.

commish

I prefer 3 day tournaments over all else. I don't do tournaments for the cards... I just like to practice new decks.

Same. It's the best place to try new decks. No risk of dropping arenas and underused cards are usually not that far from tourney level. I normally lose a few hundred trophies if I experiment on ranked.

I'm loving my joke spooky deck. People said that I was a skill less hut spammer after not losing in our first clan tourney with my hut deck. I still beat nearly all of them with an under leveled joke deck lol. It just goes to show that trophies can indicate a difference in skill levels (below A9)

nampad

Man, some guy in the lower 2000s just tried to play the craziest troll deck on me.
He mirrored his Skeleton Army and then raged them.

I was lucky to have Zap and Poison on hand so I had something to kill them after zapping the first army.

Nekki

Haha, what the hell. I'm playing just to honor you :p

Miner and RG need to gtfo imo. I wonder what I'm going to do once I get my first legendary. Probably going to be The Log :(

Man, some guy in the lower 2000s just tried to play the craziest troll deck on me.
He mirrored his Skeleton Army and then raged them.

I was lucky to have Zap and Poison on hand so I had something to kill them after zapping the first army.

I toyed with that Idea on the Training Grounds, but it's just not viable at all other than to have a good laugh for two seconds.

You sir... are an inspiration to all invaders! And your first time up at bat? I would have given up and looked for an easier one but man, you have perseverance.

Does anyone else think that a lot of people accidentally say good luck rather than good game like I do? Or are they trolling like "good luck on future games, clown"?

Regardless, having 2 good xxxx responses causes confusion when it is not habitual and you have to think for a sec before the game ends or before they make a move.

nampad

Does anyone else think that a lot of people accidentally say good luck rather than good game like I do? Or are they trolling like "good luck on future games, clown"?

Regardless, having 2 good xxxx responses causes confusion when it is not habitual and you have to think for a sec before the game ends or before they make a move.

With Clash Royale, I think it is save to say they want to troll you if there was not a well played or good game before.

Also, the two good responses are confusing in English but not necessarily for every language. In German, you can't mistake one for the other (Gutes Spiel and Viel Glück).

Funnily, well played is translated as nicht schlecht (not bad) in German.I don't think both are similar in tone.

HoodWinked

i switched the language to chinese and there is a big difference between the two. one says "good game" the other is chinese characters.

but my opinion is that the game has dropped in popularity quite a bit and the three remaining types of players (with overlap) are habitual that just play the game cause the daily hook/timers, the others are just rude assholes, and the few casual players that are more fun oriented and enjoy good matches.

the problem is that the assholes that constantly emote after a game actually either turn others into assholes like them or wear down the last group with each game and they just get annoyed enough till they just quit because the game became unenjoyable. while its anecdotal look at dan rykerts experience with the game.

spyder_ur

I say good luck after the game and don't mean it sarcastically. Thanks! is my go to sarcastic response. Wow to cards that are way over leveled for my arena.

Sometimes I say something instead of good luck at the beginning and feel kinda like a jerk.

I try to reserve taunting for those who deserve it: miner users.

hollomat

Banned
Only times I ever taunt after the game is when they were taunting me the whole game and I manage to beat them. Those are the most satisfying wins.

Every other game I usually end with well played and good game.

Occassionally I do emote during the game but always at my own expense. If they take out one of my towers and have two full towers I'll do the crying king for example. Or if their zap instantly kills my minion horde.

Yeah, my brand of emoting is self-deprecating.

So I have Ice Wizard and Princess (no, no Miner) and I want to build a deck using both. Is there a basic shell that someone can recommend me? Thus far my attempts have been jank at best.

Also, my clan is basically dead... Is there anyone that wants an ~3000 player?

-Boomclap

nampad

So I have Ice Wizard and Princess (no, no Miner) and I want to build a deck using both. Is there a basic shell that someone can recommend me? Thus far my attempts have been jank at best.

-Boomclap

Come to the GAF clan, #QYYQCQ.

hollomat

Banned

-Boomclap

My deck is:

Ice Wizard lvl 2
Princess lvl 2
Barbarians lvl 11
Minion horde lvl 10
Arrows lvl 9
Elixir collector lvl 7
Spear goblins lvl 11
Royal giant lvl 12

I'm around 3600 trophies now using that deck. Elixir collector is hit or miss though since every deck I face seems to be running miner.

As nampad pointed out you're welcome to join us. We're very active and I have yet to see a donation request go unfilled.

Alur

You're welcome to join us in GAF Royale as well. #Q8C9CY

We're about to merge with another GAF clan, so it'll be a full house after this weekend if we can get everyone in and get it sorted. We're at 39/50 atm, bout ~12k donates per week.

commish

My deck is:

Ice Wizard lvl 2
Princess lvl 2
Barbarians lvl 11
Minion horde lvl 10
Arrows lvl 9
Elixir collector lvl 7
Spear goblins lvl 11
Royal giant lvl 12

I'm around 3600 trophies now using that deck. Elixir collector is hit or miss though since every deck I face seems to be running miner.

As nampad pointed out you're welcome to join us. We're very active and I have yet to see a donation request go unfilled.

I had removed pump from my deck for that reason, but I put it back in, as it's still the best way to force your opponent into action. Miner decks rely on counter attacks to win, so I want them to make the first move.

hollomat

Banned
I had removed pump from my deck for that reason, but I put it back in, as it's still the best way to force your opponent into action. Miner decks rely on counter attacks to win, so I want them to make the first move.

Yeah same. I used to always play elixir collector right away if I started with it and had barbs for defense, but now I never do. I'll only play it after hey play miner first or I'm sure they don't have miner.

Top Bottom