• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

bodine1231

Just started playing a couple days ago and I'm liking the game alot. Not taking it super seriously like I did with PAD ($$$) but playing a more casual long term aproach. Been winning way more than losing and looking at some the newb deck builds I lucked out into starting with one of the better ones so maybe thats why. I sent a couple invites to the gaf clans :)

JDdelphin

The elixir collector definitely needs a buff. In this miner heavy meta it's just completely useless, especially after the two hp nerfs.

Huh. It's a strategic risk/reward card, so I dunno about that one.

If it gets buffed we will be back to eeeeeverybody has a pump in every deck and at that point, lets just remove the choice and make a mandatory slot for elixir pump.

Miner is great for pumpsmashing, but if that's the only major reason you see for a buff.... eeehh, I can't agree with that call.

Alur

Huh. It's a strategic risk/reward card, so I dunno about that one.

If it gets buffed we will be back to eeeeeverybody has a pump in every deck and at that point, lets just remove the choice and make a mandatory slot for elixir pump.

Miner is great for pumpsmashing, but if that's the only major reason you see for a buff.... eeehh, I can't agree with that call.

It's not a strategic risk/reward card in the sense you're implying, IMO.

It's strategic in "should I play this and risk a counterpush". Right now the strategy revolves around "should I play this or do they have miner/poison/fireball to destroy it immediately" which effectively makes it useless. There's no risk or reward to it at the moment, it's simply risk having it in your deck against the majority of the meta. Giant decks all have poison, miner decks may have miner and poison both, and trifecta decks run poison. You basically have to hope you face Sparky or RG to be able to use it.

Without pump being viable, there is a good amount of decks which are completely unreliable due to their cost. It effectively neuters any kind of big deck due to how fast the cycle decks are and how quickly they can continually eliminate your pump. Nerfing Miner and/or Poison might solve the issue, but I think they should revert the HP decrease they gave pump a while back.

Right now it exists as a dead card in your hand most games at 3k+, and in those games can at best be used as very expensive miner bait.

hollomat

Banned
Exactly. Where I'm at now around 3400 trophies, there's about 90% chance my opponent has miner or poison or both. So most games I simply don't even play elixir collector.

You said you don't think it should be bugged otherwise it's auto include in each deck. The meta has completely shifted from where it was before and even if it gets buffed and miner gets nerfed, it still won't see as much play as it did before.

Right now miner/zap are already auto include. There's no card more requested in our clan than zap. For 2 elixir it is such a good card. Same with miner for 3 elixir. I've swapped my elixir collector out for miner so we will see if I have better results.

Alur

hollomat, my RG deck runs the payfecta. Should be even better for you with your level 12 RG IIRC.

RG/barbs/minions/zap/miner/princess/ice wizard/elixir collector

I've seen a few top 200 players running my deck but with mini pekka instead of collector, which I might try in the future.

I'm running this trolly ass tombstone deck that's super fun and really shuts down Giant, RG, Sparky, and Furnace decks. 50/50 on miner cycle depending on the variant (beats regular payfecta pretty handily), and like 40/60 against Hog if they are patient.

Miner/Princess/Ice Wizard/Tombstone/Barbs/Poison/Zap/Log

Get some ridiculously good Log value, believe it or not.

JDdelphin

It's not a strategic risk/reward card in the sense you're implying, IMO.

It's strategic in "should I play this and risk a counterpush". Right now the strategy revolves around "should I play this or do they have miner/poison/fireball to destroy it immediately" which effectively makes it useless. There's no risk or reward to it at the moment, it's simply risk having it in your deck against the majority of the meta. Giant decks all have poison, miner decks may have miner and poison both, and trifecta decks run poison. You basically have to hope you face Sparky or RG to be able to use it.

Without pump being viable, there is a good amount of decks which are completely unreliable due to their cost. It effectively neuters any kind of big deck due to how fast the cycle decks are and how quickly they can continually eliminate your pump. Nerfing Miner and/or Poison might solve the issue, but I think they should revert the HP decrease they gave pump a while back.

Right now it exists as a dead card in your hand most games at 3k+, and in those games can at best be used as very expensive miner bait.

I weep for the double giant ballon decks that may never have a chance to shine.

I'm not saying it's super awesome the way it is but tanking it up with hp so that it takes more than a fireball to get rid of half of it seems a bit much. You'd have to run a pump in every deck again just to keep up with the tankey pushes.

To me, Miner is the problem.
He should cost more, but legendary status gives you the magical ability to cost one less elixir than you should, but that's supercell.
Poison too. :/

-and if I'm ever at over 3k+ (or ever get a legendary) I might feel your pain more.
It's rough to think of ways that could help everyone at 3k+, just starting out, or in the middle though

Alur

A fireball gets rid of 3/4's or a little more of it. And honestly I kind of "lol" everytime someone uses a fireball on my elixir collector cause they are making it ez game ez lyfe for my barbs. Usually they don't do it twice.

Elixir collector doesn't just allow Giant/Balloon. It allows Golem decks, PEKKA decks, RG decks, Three Musketeer decks. Basically any deck that isn't miner/mini pekka/hog cycle requires it or is at risk for not having it.

I agree they should hit miner, but I don't think just changing his deploy time is going to matter all that much in the grand scheme of things. They'll have to do more to keep him from dominating elixir collector decks and the meta in general. I'm also not sure poison even needs a nerf, honestly, though it would help elixir collector of course. I'm with hollomat, though, I dunno if hitting both (unless they are absolutely gutted) is going to be enough to bring elixir collector back.

hollomat

Banned
hollomat, my RG deck runs the payfecta. Should be even better for you with your level 12 RG IIRC.

I've seen a few top 200 players running my deck but with mini pekka instead of collector, which I might try in the future.

I'm running this trolly ass tombstone deck that's super fun and really shuts down Giant, RG, Sparky, and Furnace decks. 50/50 on miner cycle depending on the variant (beats regular payfecta pretty handily), and like 40/60 against Hog if they are patient.

My deck was very similar to yours. All the same cards except spear gobs instead of miner, arrows instead of zap, and minion horde instead of minions.

Currently trying miner instead of elixir collector, but I may swap arrows for zap as well.

For miner they need to change his attack and damage in addition to deploy time. My issue with deploy time is they accidentally buffed it a month ago and said that it was an accident but they still haven't fixed it. It shouldnt take over a month to fix an accidental buff in a game making millions a day.

Edit: Per Reddit, it looks like clash royales revenue is declining month over month and deservedly so. Hopefully they see this as a wake up call.

http://archive.is/fWFjs

JDdelphin

Elixir collector doesn't just allow Giant/Balloon. It allows Golem decks, PEKKA decks, RG decks, Three Musketeer decks. Basically any deck that isn't miner/mini pekka/hog cycle requires it or is at risk for not having it.

Yeah, I guess.

But to me, if you need an elixir pump in your deck (which should be a truly optional and temporary booster of useable economy available in a match) to allow certain cards to be in any way viable, there might be a general problem with the game on a much bigger scale as far as balance, to me anyhow... I dunno.

Alur

That makes no sense though, JD. Should every card cost less than 5 elixir, then? Why have 10 elixir at that point?

Should there be another way beyond elixir collector to enable those cards? Yes, I agree there should. But saying that the cards need to rebalanced because they basically cost too much doesn't make much sense to me. They cost more because they provide more impact. Without a collector, however, playing one results in you losing immediately unless you play it perfectly. You could argue that's bad or good design, but honestly I feel that on the whole they've balanced the game pretty well. It's just a few outliers - as in any game, and as with any patch - that make things complicated.

JDdelphin

That makes no sense though, JD. Should every card cost less than 5 elixir, then? Why have 10 elixir at that point?

Should there be another way beyond elixir collector to enable those cards? Yes, I agree there should. But saying that the cards need to rebalanced because they basically cost too much doesn't make much sense to me. They cost more because they provide more impact. Without a collector, however, playing one results in you losing immediately unless you play it perfectly. You could argue that's bad or good design, but honestly I feel that on the whole they've balanced the game pretty well. It's just a few outliers - as in any game, and as with any patch - that make things complicated.

Sense? It's a most rediculous duel. TV said so.

Admit you just love golems, boss. You're safe here.

Pumps can be useful for any deck, really. It's not the only way to build slow pushes. Control decks that effectively counter enemy pushes can build up Elixir advantage over time to get the same +2 a pump gives. The problem is that this has been made difficult by the dumb super efficient harass of Miners.

Matush

I guess I'm finally burned out. Having payfecta legendaries (Ice Wiz,Princess and Miner) I lost desire to play until next update is out. Meta did not change for weeks and it's just not fun to play against same old Miner/Pekka or Giant/Sparky/Poison decks in 3000-3200 range.

Ninja Dom

I saw that battle with the Tombstone and the player who never got a point off you. Was very good.Never realised Tombstone was such value at 3 Elixir. I wonder why he persisted in attacking the same lane that was occupied the whole time.

JoeNut

Level 10 now and have enough cards for level 11 RG, if that doesn't get to me legendary then nothing will. Just need the quite frankly ridiculous 20,000 coins to get the upgrade

Ninja Dom

Level 10 now and have enough cards for level 11 RG, if that doesn't get to me legendary then nothing will. Just need the quite frankly ridiculous 20,000 coins to get the upgrade

Congrats man.

I can't consistently stay in Legendary Arena, I keep falling out of it once I make my way in there.

Ninja Dom

NEW UPDATE

Balance Changes Coming (8/24)

Note: These changes are not live yet! They're coming on 8/24.

The way we approach card balance in Clash Royale is a combination of playtesting and looking at the stats - in particular, card use rates and win rates - we also pay close attention to card interactions and the current meta. You can expect monthly balance changes to keep gameplay fine tuned and as fun as possible.

In this round of balance changes we’re taking a look at the Royal Giant, several of the Legendary Cards and much more!

Royal Giant: Hit Speed decreased to 1.7sec (from 1.5sec)
We like that the Royal Giant is a strong and relatively easy to use offensive option. However, he’s too strong right now - this change will allow him to stay relevant, but make him a bit easier to deal with. Additionally, his first attack will happen a bit slower.

Zap: Stun Duration decreased to 0.5sec (from 1sec)
Zap is highly used at all levels of play and currently offers a bit too much versatility for 2 Elixir.

Princess: Area Damage radius decreased by 25%
We’d like to make the Princess slightly less reliable at clearing up everything in the vicinity of her target.

Ice Wizard: Hit Points decreased by 5%
Considering how much control he offers, the Ice Wizard is a bit too tanky for his 3 Elixir cost. He’ll still be very strong at the back, but doesn’t offer the same value in the middle of the action.

Miner: Deploy Time increased to 1sec (from 0.7sec), Hitpoints decreased by 6%
We’re fixing an unintentional Deploy Time change, and in doing so making the Miner a bit easier to react to once again. Additionally, it’s become clear that the Miner is quite strong and could do with being toned down a notch.

Baby Dragon: Hit Speed increased to 1.6sec (from 1.8sec)
A faster Hit Speed, including a quicker first attack, will make the Baby Dragon more reliable.

Dark Prince: Damage increased by 7.5%
The Dark Prince’s stats aren’t quite on par with some other 4 Elixir options. A small damage buff should make him a more viable alternative in both defense and offense support.

Bowler: Elixir cost decreased to 5 (from 6), Hitpoints decreased by 7%, Damage decreased by 10%
A lower Elixir cost should allow for some interesting Bowler synergies to become viable. We’re taking a bit of damage and hitpoints away from him to help compensate for this pretty big change.

Lumberjack: Speed increased to Very Fast (from Fast), Hit Speed increased to 0.7sec (from 1.1sec), Damage decreased by 23%
We’d like to differentiate the Lumberjack from the Mini P.E.K.K.A a bit further, as both are 4 Elixir, high damage cards. This change should help them fill quite different roles in your deck.

The Log: Cast time decreased by 66%, travel speed increased by 20%
The Log needs some love. This change will make it more consistent and reliable. (Note: We have some other tricks up our sleeves if this isn’t enough, but they are only possible to implement with a full update)

Golem: Hit and Death Damage increased by 5%, Hitpoints increased by 1%

Golemite: Hit and Death Damage increased by 8%, Hitpoints increased by 3.2%
At 8 Elixir the Golem needs a lot of power to feel viable - these changes will hopefully get it there!

P.E.K.K.A: Damage increased by 5%
P.E.K.K.A has quite low use rates across the board and could do with some more muscle! We're also making her first attack happen a bit quicker.

Tombstone: Spawn Speed increased to 2.5sec (from 2.9sec)
We’re looking to give the Tombstone more utility in both offense and defense.

Archers: Damage increased by 2%
This tiny damage increase is just to fix an inconsistency with the Archers vs. Goblins interaction at certain levels.

Prince: Damage increased by 2%
This tiny damage increase is just to fix an inconsistency with the Prince vs. Barbarians interaction at certain levels.

hollomat

Banned
NEW UPDATE

Excited for these nerfs (even though I use RG, princess and ice wizard). All of them are necessary but it'll be interesting to see how or if it changes the meta. The zap change is huge

Lumberjack got a huge buff so I can see it being used a lot more. I don't think bowler will see much more use since it was a bit of a buff/nerf and most people don't have the cards to get him to a decent level anyway.

The one issue I see is that everyone has invested so much to get their current decks to a specific level. Changing any cards out is expensive gold and time wise, so I don't know how much change we will see at first.

Baby dragon also wasn't buffed enough although I'm sure he'll still see use with lava hound decks. I used to love that card, but it's kind of a jack of all trades (air, tank, area damage) and master of none.

spyder_ur

I run in the 33-3700 range with my RG-Ice Wiz - Princess Deck. Also includes zap, so it's safe to say I'll need a new strategy. I've been sitting on 70K gold thinking about upgrading RG to level 12, but I don't think I will now.

The Ice wiz nerf is kind of symbolic. The problem is he slows down whole pushes and actually does too much damage, IMO.

Nothing else to the miner is very disappointing. He's basically the reason I play the game less on my main than before, I don't enjoy the guessing game or the fact that he doesn't play by the same rules as every other piece on the board, as well as the fact you have to allocate real resources to kill him quickly or the timing is all off. Maybe the deploy time will make a huge difference and allow you to get gobs/mini pekka on him reliably?

Get your inferno towers leveled. I foresee a whole bunch of giant/poison pushes.

The zap nerf is the big thing here. Makes it way less useful as a damage extender card. They didn't stop it from killing same level goblins though, that's disappointing. I hate that it's serviceable as a mob killer if you're outleveled, that should be the job of arrows or fireball IMO.

Shit update!

Half my deck is getting nerfed.

Not impressed!!

I think that's kind of the point. Half of most people's decks are taking a hit.

Agent

Interesting updates, but mostly expected. I actually think Zap will still be quite useful since they didn't reduce the damage of it. It's mostly used to get one extra hit on a tower or take off the HP of an incoming mob which it will still be able to do.

Ice Wizard and Miner are basically going back to their original state when released. I don't think this actually hurts the Miner too much. It's usually not the Miner that takes down towers, it's all the other mobs it's providing a distraction for. That isn't going to change.

As someone that is using Dark Prince / PEKKA these days, those two buffs are quite a surprise. Both are actually pretty strong cards as is. It seems like Supercell wants to bring back the PEKKA / Double Prince era.

Lumberjack will be interesting now. I still don't see it replacing a Mini PEKKA. The Log and the Lumberjack suffer from the same issue, both are specific, narrow focused cards that are only going to work in certain combinations. They aren't like the Princess/Ice Wizard that can work in any deck they are in.

Update prediction: Welcome to the era of the Giant. It was already starting to appear in a good amount of decks and with some of these changes it stands out even more as a strong card. I bet Poison will take an even more prominent role in most decks as well.

Future

Giant poison is always used constantly at least for me. Now that percentage will go up anymore. Giant is just too damn tanky and powerful on his own. Should nerf his damage

spyder_ur

Giant poison is always used constantly at least for me. Now that percentage will go up anymore. Giant is just too damn tanky and powerful on his own. Should nerf his damage

I don't see it that much past 3K to be honest. Some, sure but not that much.

I'm probably gonna go ahead and level up inferno tower now.

Another indirect winner here is 3 musketeers. Several of the best counters to them have been nerfed - Princess and most notably zap + fire spirits.

Alur

Giant/Guards/Poison dominated the top 200 if you looked over the past month. It was extremely popular there and in tournaments. Now it'll be even more so.

I, too, am baffled that the princes got another buff. I already saw them pretty regularly in the 3300-3700 range (and they are prominent on top of the leaderboard, including a Giant/Poison deck with Prince that was in like 15 of the top 20 slots last season)...and now they are buffed again. In general I'm unhappy with buffs to epic cards like this, though. Bowler, for example, needed something...and I'm not sure it got it (though X-bowler and Giant/Bowler is now cheaper). But buffing epics is basically like buffing legendaries in my eyes. Most people cannot level them enough to use them, and even if you did buy a few SMC's to level one, it'd start to be a liability from the moment you cross 3500.

Princess buff is yowza. She's a mini-RG now, apparently. The way it reads I wonder if she kills a minion horde in two shots anymore.

I don't feel like the Lumberjack buff is much at all. He took a hit in damage for speed. He already moved fast enough, it was not being able to survive to get to the tower and/or not doing as much damage as his robot counterpart that kept him out of the meta. Not sure this really changes that, but we'll see.

The Log buff is great for my tombstone deck.

Kioshen

That Orange Juice channel seems to have some nice content for Clash. I'll have to check it out later because I have a lot of catching up to do. Don't know what to think of all those buffs/nerfs because I don't have access to those cards except Prince and Arrows. I guess I'll keep them around longer than I thought I would.

Ninja Dom

I got a huge amount of Bowler cards from a Super Magical Chest a few weeks ago, even though I wasn't actively collecting them. He's level 4. May replace RG with Bowler if the RG nerf hits me hard.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
My relatively vanilla deck means none of my cards got any changes.

However, while the last two balancing passes have impacted me negatively, this seems like a net positive for me as nothing I have a problem with got buffed and several effective cards I face a lot like Royal Giant and Princess got debuffs.

Should have my giant leveled up again within the week so I'm looking forward to making some rankings progress next week.

hollomat

Banned
This will have a huge change for tournaments. Royal giant was already weak at tournament levels and with this nerf will be even less effective.

Going forward for tournaments all the top decks will probably be giant/poison decks.

Alur

I think miner is still good. As the OJ video says, it basically just means it takes 1 less tower arrow to kill him. He still shits on collectors and so forth. A little easier to predict, but the value is still (relatively) insane IMO.

The payfecta deck is kinda RIP though. Miner/Furnace and the other varieties should still be able to do their thing in tournaments IMO, since Furnace is so strong there.

nampad

My payfecta zap deck is getting hit hard by this, wow.
Though I have to say I can understand the nerfs to those cards.

I still think Zap is super useful. The Giant will probably be even stronger. Sucks that I switched him out 2 months ago, he could have been so overleveled in my deck now.

My deck is super fun so I will try keeping it.

Dazzler

Sitting here with a level 2 Lumberjack ready to have some fun when this update hits

Tombstone has long been one of my favourite cards so seeing it get a bit of love is awesome. It kills Pekka and prince singlehandedly

I'm a poison and giant user so I came out of this update in good shape

Double prince deck is gonna be frightening.

Overall happy with this. Payfecta and RG nerfs are more than welcome. Zap is getting nerfed in a good way.

I think Tombstone will become a lot more frequent. Possibly Tombstone / Furnace combo.

Alur

I ran Tombstone up to 3707 yesterday. It included payfecta, however. Effective for countering lots of stuff we see currently, as I wrote in a post above (or on last page, not sure which).

I don't know that Tombstone + Furnace makes much sense though. They both perform a similar function, would take away a slot from another actual body (or spell), and are both easily shat upon by Poison.

I do believe we'll see more decks centered around one or the other, however. It's just with Tombstone it's more viable at a lower level than Furnace, which must be within 2 levels of the towers you are facing.

Ninja Dom

Level 1 Ice Wizard is 700HP before the update. That isn't that much compared to other single troops. Level 1 Lumberjack is higher. Does IW need a 5% nerf?

I guess I'm a bit salty as it's taken me 6 months to get Ice Wizard, just got him last week, and now he's getting nerfed. Princess nerf is gonna hit me hard. I've been using her for months now. I rely on her.

Alur

Princess gonna hit me the hardest too. Was in my RG deck, my Giant deck, and the Tombstone deck I've been running. Guess that's proof she was the most OP, though.

JoeNut

So yeah, i got an Ice wiz from a giant chest this morning! makes up for all the terrible, shitty giant chests i've had in the past.

Now my dilemma is, how do i use him? i'm at an all time trophy high (2800) and don't want to end up screwing myself over forcing him into my deck.

A few people suggested removing minions and ice spirits, is there a suggest RG, Sparky and Ice Wiz deck? pretty much have to have pump in there for RG/Sparky combo to really work.

I've been using goblin barrel level 4 and it kicks arse, the amount of games i win due to luring the zap on either barrel or sparky is ridiculous.

Either that or i use the coins i've been saving to make a whole new deck, everything i have is leveled to a decent standard

Kioshen

Finally in A4 after climbing to 1098 then losing two games then winning one to stop at 1101. I searched for decks online but they all seem from over 3 months ago. Should I just look at TV royale and see what works ?

Ice Wiz is best for defense IMHO. Great for shutting down hordes. It also shuts down a hut lane.

It's very difficult to pull off Sparky / Ice Wiz / RG pushes due to cost. I have countered so many of those with just Zap + Barbs. I'd honestly be more annoyed if you had Miner or Goblin Barrel instead of Ice Wiz.

Alur

SA few people suggested removing minions and ice spirits, is there a suggest RG, Sparky and Ice Wiz deck? pretty much have to have pump in there for RG/Sparky combo to really work.

I'd keep your deck as is and try to craft a separate RG deck with Ice Wizard, or a separate deck all together if you want to use him.

Finally in A4 after climbing to 1098 then losing two games then winning one to stop at 1101. I searched for decks online but they all seem from over 3 months ago. Should I just look at TV royale and see what works ?

That's probably your best bet, Kioshen. That way you can pick and choose what has the cards you have available.

Ninja Dom

So yeah, i got an Ice wiz from a giant chest this morning! makes up for all the terrible, shitty giant chests i've had in the past.

Now my dilemma is, how do i use him? i'm at an all time trophy high (2800) and don't want to end up screwing myself over forcing him into my deck.

A few people suggested removing minions and ice spirits, is there a suggest RG, Sparky and Ice Wiz deck? pretty much have to have pump in there for RG/Sparky combo to really work.

I've been using goblin barrel level 4 and it kicks arse, the amount of games i win due to luring the zap on either barrel or sparky is ridiculous.

Either that or i use the coins i've been saving to make a whole new deck, everything i have is leveled to a decent standard

I'm running Sparky/RG/Ice Wiz. It's taken me to a trophy high of 3050. Elixir Pump is required cos it'll be an average cost of around 3.9 for the deck.

Future

Princess gonna hit me the hardest too. Was in my RG deck, my Giant deck, and the Tombstone deck I've been running. Guess that's proof she was the most OP, though.

The nerf isn't too bad. Just means she won't be as awesome ins spraying everything in vicinity. I always laugh when she sprays the opponents tower, elixir collector, and minions at the same time. Gotta be demoralizing

And ice wizard nerf means he always needs something tanky to protect him, which he should and always has anyway.

spyder_ur

Ice Wiz can work in anything IMO. He's great on defense against anything really. Even on offense you can use him as a mini tank followed by gobs or minions.

My RG deck that's in that's taken me to mid-3k: RG, Pump, Ice Wiz, Princess, Mini Pekka, Gobs, Zap, Minions.

Minions are really the key to the way I play. If you get the timing down so the RG grabs the tower aggro they can wreak havoc. They can take out mini pekk, gobs, cannon, even ice wiz if you play them at a different angle.

Kioshen

Top Bottom