• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I've seen a level 9 as high as 3600. Granted they had level 12 cards. Almost every level 9 or 10 I see above 3500 has overleveled cards though. It's pretty much the only way as the card levels continue to climb higher and higher.

Being level 9 on the cusp on Legendary Arena running that deck is pretty good Ninja. Level 10 will def help out with that, and in that time your cards will level as well.

Yeah card level matters far, far more than tower level.

Alur

Brakke

Banned
Yo. I haven't settled on a deck for the new patch.

Let's just say I wanna use my only legendary, Sparky. I know this makes me a monster, but I need to climb back up from a slide. My highest Epic is Witch @ 4. Most of my other Epics are @ 3. I have Giant @ 7 and RG @ 10. Trophy high was 2700. I'm down under 2300 right now...

What'cha all recommend?

Ninja Dom

Let's just say I wanna use my only legendary, Sparky. I know this makes me a monster, but I need to climb back up from a slide. My highest Epic is Witch @ 4. Most of my other Epics are @ 3. I have Giant @ 7 and RG @ 10. Trophy high was 2700. I'm down under 2300 right now...

What'cha all recommend?

Sparky needs protection. So it needs a tank to be in front of it. I use Sparky and RG. I start Sparky at the back and drop RG in front of it at the bridge. Sparky's range on the Crown Tower is shorter than the RG so the Sparky pushes the RG forward so that the Sparky is in range of the tower. Drop Gobs or Spear Gobs after the RG if possible.

Sparky + Witch could be interesting using the same tactic above. But I don't use Witch so I'm not sure of the results.

Everybody runs Zap, so be prepared for that. That's why you need a Giant or RG in front, so they can live long enough to tank for your Sparky while your Sparky recharges again. Witch may not be strong enough for that.

Sparky is also a very good defensive card against regular Giant. Wait for the Giant to get close to your own Crown Tower and drop Sparky behind your Crown Tower. It can't get aggro'd on and it can shoot the Giant from a nice safe distance.

EDIT: A Sparky + Giant/RG push is 11 and 12 Elixir. Plus extra support troops. So you're prob best running an Elixir Pump Collector.

JoeNut

What'cha all recommend?
Hi brakke, my sparky deck is
Sparky
RG
Arrows/ice wiz
Fire spirits
Minions
Barbs
Pump

Arrows and ice wiz are swapped because I wanted to make use of wiz! But arrows are amazing at clearing the inevitable minion horde that you'll get bashed by when you drop RG

General tactic is pump ASAP. Sparky from behind crown tower, then drop RG on the bridge in front of sparky, follow up with minions/arrows/fire spirits/ice wiz

Barbs/minions/spirits and even sparky are great at defense, sparky is only good at defense if he's dropped really early, as he'll need to power up. I'm at 2800 and expecting to get higher now my RG is Lvl 11

YEAH I reached Arena 9 and won my 1st tourney in the same day!!!

my deck:
Hog 6
Minions 10
Ice spirit 9
Zap 9
MINER
MiniP 7
Barbs 9
Poison 3

Ice Spirit is such an amazing Card!!!

Zap Nerf suck:( still a very nice card...but the stun is meh.

JoeNut

GAF Royale need a new member we lost one today :( getting around 19-20k donations each week, put your gaf name in your request, cheers

commish

Sparky and giant combo still gives me grief, even though I've faced it so, so many times. I run guards nowadays which makes all the difference but not everyone does and not everyone can handle sparky. I bet the sparky and giant combo would carry anyone to 3k.

I see sparky so often in tournaments that I run with rocket in my tournament deck.

Why are sparky users the most BM'ing people in the game?!

Alur

GAF Royale (#Q8C9CY) has one spot open if anyone wants to join. We're very active and hover around ~20k donations each week.

There was a tournament just created...so for the time being, if you wish to join post here in the thread (with your trophy level) so we can lower the trophy level so that you can request an invite. We had to up it to avoid getting spammed by invites from tournament hoppers.

nampad

So one of my alts is close to legendary arena and of course the matchmaking seems to do the same bullshit it did when my main was close to legendary.
As soon as I get close, I only get matchups where I cant get a lot of trophies and would lose a lot of trophies. I just can't believe it...

Also the matchups are all assholes but that's nothing new to Clash Royale.

Sparky and giant combo still gives me grief, even though I've faced it so, so many times. I run guards nowadays which makes all the difference but not everyone does and not everyone can handle sparky. I bet the sparky and giant combo would carry anyone to 3k.
Yeah, Sparky + Giant + Wizard carried me to legendary. I would recommend that to someone whose only legendary is sparky. That said, it gets tougher to win around 29k, since most people there know how to deal with sparky.

Why are sparky users the most BM'ing people in the game?!
Sparky is so feast or famine. You're basically counting on your opponent either (a) not having the cards or know-how to deal with it (unlikely, since almost everyone has zap + either valk, mini pekka, or barbs), or (b) messing up -- personally, when I lose to another sparky deck it's because I mistimed a zap, or messed up the placement of some fodder card. So, because of how feast or famine it is, those players are probably more likely to be on tilt at any given time.

Getting real tired of these real convenient split-second delays in pivotal moments, Clash

It's funny how I went from 2700 down to 2200 then all the way to knocking on the door of Arena 10 before getting bopped down a bit again

I'm getting so fucking dumped on

any deck recommendations? Got everything but log, miner, and lumberjack.

Used to be arena 10 consistently. CONSISTENTLY

JoeNut

Getting real tired of these real convenient split-second delays in pivotal moments, Clash

It's funny how I went from 2700 down to 2200 then all the way to knocking on the door of Arena 10 before getting bopped down a bit again
Wait so you're suggesting that there is somehow an auto delay to make you lose that's been implemented by supercell to stop you winning?

broz0rs

Payfecta is still everywhere. The miner nerf did nothing.

the Miner nerf really wasn't a nerf at all. it was just reverted back to what it was when it was launched. I didn't believe it for a second that it would impact players' decision to drop it for another card/deck.

so it seems the consensus on reddit is that RG is a dead card. in my clan, we had about six RG users, most of them on the cusp of Arena 9 and they all dropped it because of the nerf. ouch

asides from Payfecta, Giant Poison seems to be the deck that replaced RG in the post-patch meta.

the Miner nerf really wasn't a nerf at all. it was just reverted back to what it was when it was launched. I didn't believe it for a second that it would impact players' decision to drop it for another card/deck.

so it seems the consensus on reddit is that RG is a dead card. in my clan, we had about six RG users, most of them on the cusp of Arena 9 and they all dropped it because of the nerf. ouch

asides from Payfecta, Giant Poison seems to be the deck that replaced RG in the post-patch meta.

Tell me about this giant poison

Whats the build?

hollomat

Banned

I run an RG deck and I'm definitely seeing the impact on him. Unfortunately my RG is 12, and the only cards I've really lvled are the ones in this deck. Even if I paid the gold to lvl up my rares, I could only get them to lvl 6/7.

So for the time being I'm going to just stick with my RG while I lvl up my other cards. Since my RG is lvl 12 I'm still having no trouble staying in the 3400 to 3500 range.

nampad

As someone who only faces RGs, I don't feel like he changed much. I guess that's how people feel about my miner though^^

DrkSage

After The update i started running a lavahound deck, and i must say, people aren't running a lot of AA defenses.

Deck:
Lavahound lvl2
Baby dragon lvl4
Miner lvl1
Minions lvl 10
Zap lvl10
Firespirits lvl10
Princess lvl1
Mini Pekka lvl 7

Currently between the 3300-3400 mark

Genio88

Lately i've been exeriencing annoying connection issues, the red signal notification shows up in the center of the screen even though my connection is actually fine, then the games runs again and some time instead I have to close and open it again to have it work...have you been having these problems too or it's my phone(Xiaomi Mi5) that is acting strange after I did a major OTA update?
I'm on Android by the way

Alur

Tell me about this giant poison

Whats the build?

Just look at the top of the leaderboard. The bowler version and all it's variations are up there in the top 100. Really, I'd suggest anyone looking for decks to check the top 100 or the prominent clans, including phonecats. There's some interesting stuff to be found and try out.

Here's the standard part of the build and the final slot is up in the air:

Giant/Poison/Elixir Collector/Zap/Mini Pekka/Guards/Musketeer

Prince variation:

Giant/Poison/Elixir Collector/Zap/Mini Pekka/Guards/Musketeer/Prince

Bowler variation (the new hotness in tournaments/ladder):

Giant/Poison/Elixir Collector/Zap/Mini Pekka/Guards/Musketeer/Bowler

The Bowler variation was on top of the leaderboard for basically the entire time after the patch until now. Now the top deck is a Hog/Mini Pekka cycle deck that uses Rocket as an Elixir Collector/Giant push counter and was popularized in the Super Magical Cup on 8/20.

Hog Rider/Mini Pekka/Princess/Ice Wizard/Guards/Ice Spirit/Rocket/Zap

Finally got to Arena 5 and unlocked wizards. People are having trouble defending my furnace / goblin hut combo. Most people don't have rockets or fireball with them.

nampad

So one of my alts is close to legendary arena and of course the matchmaking seems to do the same bullshit it did when my main was close to legendary.
As soon as I get close, I only get matchups where I cant get a lot of trophies and would lose a lot of trophies. I just can't believe it...

Also the matchups are all assholes but that's nothing new to Clash Royale.

Second day and the same bullshit happens. I fail to believe that of the hundreds of thousands of players the game can't give me a normal matchup close to the 3000 wall.

Alur

What does the game gain by keeping you out of legendary arena, though? Most of the money is probably spent there in the form of legendary cards in the shop. Seems pretty unlikely.

What does the game gain by keeping you out of legendary arena, though? Most of the money is probably spent there in the form of legendary cards in the shop. Seems pretty unlikely.

Its about pissing you off to get you to dunk some cash in to upgrade your cards. The same reason they dont let you turn off emotes.

nampad

Trying to get me to cash in to get over the hump. I saw that shit happening to my main for weeks. The game even trolled me to 2999 trophies just to let me tilt again.

And if letting people buying legendaries from the shop is the best money maker for Supercell, why don't they just let them appear in their respective arenas like every other card in the shop?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Starting to get tired of this game, I'm stuck playing the same deck all day every day because earning gold is slow as fuck and I can't afford to upgrade other cards to the level they need to be to compete.

Alur

Its about pissing you off to get you to dunk some cash in to upgrade your cards. The same reason they dont let you turn off emotes.

And if letting people buying legendaries from the shop is the best money maker for Supercell, why don't they just let them appear in their respective arenas like every other card in the shop?

That's a question many people have asked. It's been on the front page of the Clash reddit multiple times. There's no good reason for them not to, because it would only make them more money.

I take back saying most of the money is spent there (on legendary cards) cause there's no way that's the case with the availability of chests and golds at all levels. I do believe a huge chunk of the money they earn is from legendary arena players, however, simply because you eventually hit a wall there where you cannot progress in any way for long periods of time. And honestly that's where the whales are, and any whale inevitably will hit that point unless they are dumpster tier players. For regular players, getting a card from 11 to 12 takes you almost 17 days worth of requests, for example, and you probably need more than one card at 12 to make much headway. At that point it's spend or stop progressing til you dedicate a month or two to requesting, or simply burn out in frustration. Nearly every player we've lost post merger has been in legendary arena, for example.

As for being stuck on that threshold being a forced thing, I still believe that's more your own tilt and bias than anything having to do with some kind of insidious design. There's several hundred thousand players across that 3k threshold, after all. I feel the same way when I get near a trophy high - every win gives me 18 trophies and a loss loses me 42, or so it seems - but when I look at my match history it's often not nearly so lopsided and ultimately I just shit the bed when playing in spots where I shouldn't have.

Starting to get tired of this game, I'm stuck playing the same deck all day every day because earning gold is slow as fuck and I can't afford to upgrade other cards to the level they need to be to compete.

I feel you. I've played my alt less and less post-patch because the nerf basically destroyed my entire deck that I had focused hard on building thanks to RG nerf and Princess bug.

I think I may have asked you this before, but why the Jordan face on the Habs logo, though? Avatar bet loss? Sad about PK?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I think I may have asked you this before, but why the Jordan face on the Habs logo, though? Avatar bet loss? Sad about PK?

Somebody posted it in the NHL thread and I switched to it because it basically summed up this past season. I'm pretty sure I switched a day or two before the Subban trade, little did I know...

It represents my feelings on the management of the team now.

Alur

Yeah, sorry man. Thank you for PK, though, we appreciate it. Super excited to see him in gold, just a shame it happened after I moved away from there. =/

Dazzler

Great few days in Clash for me

Lumberjack buff and a little rejig of my deck saw me go over 3,000 for the first time. Epic Sunday in the shop and Miner pops up, so I dropped 40,000 gold on him

Ninja Dom

Great few days in Clash for me

Lumberjack buff and a little rejig of my deck saw me go over 3,000 for the first time. Epic Sunday in the shop and Miner pops up, so I dropped 40,000 gold on him

Terrible weekend for me. Got to a high of 3120, before dropping like an absolute stone to 2620. I lost 500 trophies over the weekend. Now I'm back up to 2800. I still suffer from this highly frustrating yo-yo effect.

broz0rs

Ayyy lmao, trophy reset will occur at 4000 trophies from now on.

https://clashroyale.com/blog/news/seasonal-trophy-reset

At least I got a few legendary trophies for my first entrance into arena 9. Will have to climb back up after my first reset. It's cool though, more people will be able to fit for a longer time into the 3000+ range.

that's great to hear. I've always avoided playing right after season reset... until today because I was curious how bad it was. I got absolutely dunked on lol

JoeNut

Trying to get me to cash in to get over the hump. I saw that shit happening to my main for weeks. The game even trolled me to 2999 trophies just to let me tilt again.
You are seriously deluded if you believe this is true, I can't decide if you're trolling or just self obsessed and believe that the game somehow revolves around you

zoukka

You are seriously deluded if you believe this is true, I can't decide if you're trolling or just self obsessed and believe that the game somehow revolves around you

True. But the rank reset to 3000 was definitely designed to boost monetisation as well. It naturally peels off players from the legendary arena and people will definitely make IAP purchases if they feel they are not climbing back since you get so much less resources from arena 8.

Alur

I think ultimately changing the "floor" where a reset happens to 4000 trophies is a good thing, but...

I do worry that we'll see even more people quit due to burn out in the 3000-3999 range now unless they introduce a new arena or something of that sort. As I said in a recent post, it takes 16.6 days worth of requests to level just one card from 11 to 12...with no "grind" to get back to 3400 or 3500 or wherever you normally sit, you're basically just gonna stay at your ceiling for trophies unless you hit a losing streak or intentionally lose back down. Not sure that's going to be great for the game's longevity if you can't progress in a meaninful way for half a month at a time.

commish

I think ultimately changing the "floor" where a reset happens to 4000 trophies is a good thing, but...

I do worry that we'll see even more people quit due to burn out in the 3000-3999 range now unless they introduce a new arena or something of that sort. As I said in a recent post, it takes 16.6 days worth of requests to level just one card from 11 to 12...with no "grind" to get back to 3400 or 3500 or wherever you normally sit, you're basically just gonna stay at your ceiling for trophies unless you hit a losing streak or intentionally lose back down. Not sure that's going to be great for the game's longevity if you can't progress in a meaninful way for half a month at a time.

Honestly I don't even see upgrading my cards as "progress" any more, in the sense that it's not something to shoot for. With tournament card levels capped, and no reason to go above 3000 for anything (e.g., no new cards or arenas), I'm having a hard time justifying paying to upgrade my cards and climbing higher than the low 3000s. I wish they would add some type of end game incentive, even if it's just being able to buy cards with your legendary points.

Alur

You can't even get legendary trophies now, though, so even if they implemented that all you'd have is what is left. Only the 4k plus people get them moving forward.

It is interesting that they chose 4000.

Prior to last night I would've said that was the mark to choose, but I finished with 3768 trophies last season and ended up 9,239th on ladder. Factor in another ~250 or so trophies, and I bet there aren't even 4k or 5k people above 4000 trophies right now so it's not really affecting a lot of people. There must be a sizable number of level 12s and even some 13s that can't even pass 4000 trophies. On the contrary, my alt account finished with like 3068 trophies cause I barely played it and was 299,247th.

Re: progress from leveling cards, I'm not saying that's the progress though I guess it is to some degree. I'm saying you likely need to level at least 1 impact card to 12, or maybe even two (meaning ~33 days) just to see any significant change in trophies.

commish

I'll tell you what's an impact card. A level 10 mini Pekka. That guy went through my whole team like it was nothing.

Ah, the joy of ladder resets :)

Alur

I kept hitting level 11 rares the first weekend of last season. After getting steamrolled the first two times, I just closed the app the next couple of times I saw them that high.

hitlerat

Hello,

I am stucked on arena 5 (1500 ~1600). I am level 5.
I´d like some advice on my deck (I want to use Pekka)

- Pekka lvl2
- wizard lvl4
- Witch lvl1
- Barbarians lvl6
- Arrows lvl6
- Fireball lvl4
- Spear Giblins lvl6
- Rage lvl1

Any tips or change on that deck?

wonderpug

Neo Member

That's the biggest aspect that's making me burn out as well. If I see a deck I want to try, I either need to work toward upgrading the cards needed for the next month, or the deck is flat out impossible to try because it needs epic or legendary cards I don't have or that are impossible to level.

Top Bottom